Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
The Heavy's terrible accuracy would be a problem if their starting gun was good, but it really isn't. Use it for short range overwatch or shooting at Mist Sentinels and the like.

The main draw of the Heavy is the Jumpjet, jump around and bash: with the Brawler skill its pretty much a guaranteed kill on anything early game. Jumping also isn't affected by carry weight so Heavies are very convenient for getting those far away crates on scavenger sites or taking care of the extra load for others. Then next level you add Warcry for a soft disable. Heavies have great utility, just don't try and use their gun, and definitely swap out their pants for Assault pants as those give +1 speed for a net gain of 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I find it to be really odd that the accuracy debuff is attached to the armor and not the weapon.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
It's both, a weapon's range is basically their accuracy. For armor I guess they're going with bulky armor is awkward which works superficially in establishing classes, it's just that the game is kinda messy in regards to how some classes actually play out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Any of the backers gotten their DLC keys yet?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yeah, got mine yesterday. Went to activate it and realized I had never actually activated my base game key because of all the bad reviews.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
once this new exp drops I guess i will actually try to play this for the first time. funny saying that given i am a kickstarter backer. :lmao:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, got mine yesterday. Went to activate it and realized I had never actually activated my base game key because of all the bad reviews.

Yep, same experience here.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Darkrenown posted:

uber_stoat posted:

once this new exp drops I guess i will actually try to play this for the first time. funny saying that given i am a kickstarter backer. :lmao:

Subjunctive posted:

Yep, same experience here.

I did mostly the same thing except I installed it at the beginning of 2021 for some reason. There will come a moment where you will think to myself "this game has gotten some combination of insanely hard and boring. I can either (a) cheat it, (b) quit playing, or (c) just gut it out." I highly recommend option A when that happens.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played through this game in 2020 and really enjoyed it, they fixed almost everything about it that was just straight up bad. I don't know if I have another playthrough in me with the expansion though. In particular I think about the whole system of having way too many bases and not being able to defend them and second guess myself. The whole game being designed to be overwhelming and never letting you have a breather makes it feel so oppressive and stressful to play

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Does anyone have any clue when the expansion is actually coming out?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Wrr posted:

Does anyone have any clue when the expansion is actually coming out?

my steam is downloading it now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That good huh? :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm playing through a game now. The general state of the game is definitely a whole lot better than launch, it feels like the game experience is most 'itself' now rather than being let down by missing elements or poor choices.

One big improvement from launch is that they finally 'fixed' the alien progression so that you see the full spectrum from 'basically zombies' upwards, without them rapidly accelerating away from you in power.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Well someone is buying it, they're planning another dlc for october.

I may go look into some tubes videos, see how this stacks up to xcom 2 now.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Alchenar posted:

One big improvement from launch is that they finally 'fixed' the alien progression so that you see the full spectrum from 'basically zombies' upwards, without them rapidly accelerating away from you in power.

But forgot to apply that to the Pure and the Forsaken, so they show up armored to the gills while your assaults still have starting assault rifles and do 0 damage.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Like any Julian Gollop game the answer is to pack your squad with as many grenades, grenade launchers and things-that-explode as you can.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looking at the GMG sale, I remember someone saying something a while back where if your bases get assaulted there's something dumb about how equipment is assigned? Is that still a thing?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You either equip every single rookie or they're unarmed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

People seem to not like Festering Skies, is it worth picking up as someone who actually liked this game when I played it last year? Or should I just skip it and/or wait for the next DLC before playing again

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MiddleOne posted:

You either equip every single rookie or they're unarmed.

I can’t believe they haven’t fixed that yet. I wonder if it was a deliberate choice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Got game, enjoying it except for a weird bug where one of my guys just seemed to kind of not exist? She was there and selectable but her inventory was all messed up and her ability bar was always the ability bar of the last person selected.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
OK I see why people don't like festering skies

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

People seem to not like Festering Skies, is it worth picking up as someone who actually liked this game when I played it last year? Or should I just skip it and/or wait for the next DLC before playing again

tried to play through the game a third time after that was released and I could not make myself give enough of a poo poo. downloaded long war for enemy within a month or two later and I don't know if I'm ever gonna go back to phoenix point. it's got neat bits but if given a choice between "fun" and "slightly more realistic/simulationist" it will pick the latter every time and that is a goddamn chore

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Splicer posted:

OK I see why people don't like festering skies

Lmao please elaborate, I was almost thinking about going for it earlier

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psycho Landlord posted:

Lmao please elaborate, I was almost thinking about going for it earlier
Some haven: Hey we want to give you a cool ship we found!
Me: Sweet *flies to haven*
Game: Lol ok so when you land your existing ship gets destroyed and now you've got to run to the other ship and when you're nearly at the other ship we're going to spawn like 12 dudes to come get you
Me: *reloads, goes and does something else*

I'm really enjoying the game otherwise (though I wish enemies with guns dropped their guns so I could take their guns)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh yeah they needed a way to introduce fighter mechanics but couldn't just start you with weapons so they need to give you a transport with weapons but they also don't want you to have two transports for free early on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Game shouldn't promise me a free transport and then bait and switch to "your old transport died on the way back to its home planet". Even then I was chill about it until the scripted crab drop. It was plenty exciting fighting my way to the thing already without them nintendo hard-ing the ending.

Just ticking all the boxes on the what not to do list.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Game shouldn't promise me a free transport and then bait and switch to "your old transport died on the way back to its home planet". Even then I was chill about it until the scripted crab drop. It was plenty exciting fighting my way to the thing already without them nintendo hard-ing the ending.

Just ticking all the boxes on the what not to do list.
I really wish we had some X-Clone game embracing the "Oldschool X-Com" Spirit of "Your firing line of trash stat rookies and squadies carry the war with their powerful infinite ammo entry level laser rifles saving your botch prone heavy plasma superstars from doom. Also you beat the final mission when the boss mind controlled a soldier halfway across the map into his throne room and committed suicide by berserk status."

You can still feel tension in victory, after all. "So the first one of these things we've seen survived a heavy rocket to the face, then a laser HWP to the face, and then needed a firing line of laser rifles to finish taking it down. None of us died... And there are MORE Chrysalids left on the map!? Save those loving civilians"

Now I am imagining someone trying to remake X-Com apocalypse and changing it to make androids able to be targeted by brainsuckers with a vague shrug about "oldschool challenge"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xenonauts is updated OldXCom.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Lone Badger posted:

Xenonauts is updated OldXCom.

Ironically Xenonauts is in desperate need of an update. I wonder how X2 is going.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eediot Jedi posted:

Ironically Xenonauts is in desperate need of an update. I wonder how X2 is going.

Goldhawk seem to be pretty happy with where the game is right now:

quote:

In summary, I think once I've done the early-game research writing we'll be able to say that Xenonauts 2 is a playable (if unfinished) game. The standard disclaimers apply - the game needs another pass on the art (which we're working on in the background), we still need to do more to differentiate it from X1, and there's still more polish and content to be added. But the game is already quite fun to play as long as you're not expecting a finished game and it'll only improve as we continue our work on it!

...but aren't threatening a release any time soon.

Also, the July update contained this gem:

quote:

Aside from the gameplay things, there's also been some time spent on technical stuff. We're continuing to work on translation support, but that hit a speedbump this month because we had previously been linking items / projects together via their name (e.g. when specifying which item unlocks a Research project). Unfortunately this system falls apart once the name becomes a value that changes based on language, so we had to rewrite quite a lot of code relating to that too. But hopefully next month translation support will be finished too.

One of the classic blunders, tying business logic to display strings :shepface:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm otherwise enjoying the game a lot, I really like the character upgrade system and the aiming and the points of interest maps and such. Other than the weird bug I mentioned and that human enemies don't drop their guns I've been having a blast which is why it was such a :wtc: mission

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Also, the July update contained this gem:

One of the classic blunders, tying business logic to display strings :shepface:

lmao classic "we never expected anyone to buy our game!!" syndrome.

I have a very soft spot for xenonauts, more games should let you bully highly advanced alien species with riot shields.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Xenonauts owns amd the moody cold war atmosphere and ultra sparky head scientist were great.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
My Xenonauts story is I couldn't figure out how to heal a wounded troop after rushing over a dude with a medikit. Eventually I tried pressing M and found this was actually the hotkey for Melee when my medic pistol-whipped my casualty to death.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Darkrenown posted:

My Xenonauts story is I couldn't figure out how to heal a wounded troop after rushing over a dude with a medikit. Eventually I tried pressing M and found this was actually the hotkey for Melee when my medic pistol-whipped my casualty to death.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s called triage.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been goofing around with the Xenonauts 2 testing builds (someone who I assume backed the game gave me a spare key) and, without going more in-depth into it, I can safely say that it's certainly shaping up into a Xenonauts game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Patch is out: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/839770/view/2962791619814551970

notes posted:

Our latest Phoenix Point update, “Ambrose,” is now available for all our operatives around the globe.

The patch started its life with a very simple task at hand: to cut some tedium of mid - late game. This is something that had previously been discussed at length by both our community and internally, so we were not short of ideas. But as often happens in gamedev, shortly after we began working on the task, conditions shifted, and we found out that things won't be so straightforward.

We had settled on a release date for our PlayStation and Xbox Behemoth Edition, and in that case, it was precisely "Ambrose" that would go for a console certification. The whole console certification process is long and complex, as well as the process of merging and syncing up new content for both PC and consoles. To reduce the possibility of further complications, we decided to keep "Ambrose" changes strictly to the "data" kind.

This also meant that we had the opportunity to incorporate other changes that were also discussed at length by both community and internally, namely to address the difficulty for Rookie and Veteran players. At the same time, we wanted to keep the game challenging for all players, including bringing some new fun with some old toys.

Your feedback has been crucial in shaping up "Ambrose," with many of the ideas of how we can better balance the soldier's gear coming from your suggestions. There are a few things that came out during testing that we plan to address in the following updates (yep, less tech in scavenging) and we are also closely monitoring all feedback around the "economy" changes and the reduction of the amount of HD mission. Even with the launch, the job is not done with it going live. Soon, we’ll be talking more about what’s coming in DLC 4: Corrupted Horizons, what to expect from the console Behemoth Edition, and other updates coming later this year for the game.

A huge thanks to all of you who take your time to share feedback on the game, and test or discuss the elements of “Ambrose.” And for everyone that has yet to play Phoenix Point, as of today, we’ve introduced a price reduction for our Year One Edition to $39.99 USD, so get in there now as the world’s not going to save itself! Try using the code HERECOMESTHEPHOENIX for a little treat from Odin…

Full patch notes are as follows:

Ambrose- v1.12

Geoscape

The cost of late-game faction research is lowered by approximately 35%.
The build time of story haven zones is lowered by 50%.
The rate of Pandoran evolution is slowed down with approximately 20% on Rookie, Veteran, and Hero difficulty.
The rate at which the Pandoran bases conduct their attacks is reduced.
Increased the rewards for scavenging and haven defence missions by approximately 20%.
Increased the number of total food, training, elite training, and factory zones in Havens
The Neutral weapons and armors are now available for manufacturing to the player from the start of the game.

Tactical

Increased the maximum strength for the player's soldier to 35.
Increased the starting strength of the soldier for Rookie, Veteran, and Hero difficulty with 2.
Increased the strength of all human characters by 2.
Reduced the amount of damage “Bash” does.
Increased the number of enemies in the beginning of the game for Hero and Legend difficulty.
Increased the chance of enemies dropping items on death.

Mutations, Bionics and weapons adjustments

Venom Torso - damage increased to 55, Shoot Spike cost reduced to 1AP, 10 stealth and 2 speed added, maximum range of projectile removed, effective range reduced to 22 , ammo reduced to 16.
Tentacle Torso - Paralysis value increased to 24, stealth penalty removed, perception bonus increased to 6, 1 speed bonus added.
Screaming Head - Psychic Scream cost reduced to 1AP and 4 WP, but is restricted to one use per turn, 4 WP bonus added.
Judgement Head - WP bonus increased to 8.
Shadow Legs - shock damage of Electric Kick increased to 200.
Propeller Legs - Rocket Leap distance increased to 9 tiles.
Juggernaut Torso - Demolition State cost reduced to 2WP.
Scion of Sharur - viral damage increased to 15.
Destiny III - damage reduced to 70, ammo capacity reduced to 12, manufacturing and ammo cost reduced.
Nergal's Wrath - effective range increased to 14.
VVA-2 Arms - ammo capacity reduced to 5.
Ragnarok - ammo cost is reduced to 16 tech and 49 materials.
Autocannon - weight reduced to 4.
Praetorian 2 Body Armor - armor reduced to 18.
Guardian XA Helmet - armor reduced to 26.
Guardian XA Leg Armor - armor reduced to 29.

Mutogs adjustments

Venomous Head damage increased to 60.
Ramming Head damage increased to 150.
Slasher Tail damage increased to 70.
Basher Tail damage increased to 60 and shock damage increased to 200.
Paw Strike damage increased to 80.

Pandoran changes

Damage of the Evolved Organic Machine Gun reduced to 45 per shot.
Siren Injector Arms viral damage increased to 6 (per hand).
Arthron Shieldbearer gets 2 additional speed.
Scylla Thureus, Scylla Imperator, Scylla Hegemon, Scylla Regina, Scylla Smaragdos, Chiron Smaragdus, Siren Armis have now evolved 50% virus resistance.

Legacy of the Ancient changes

Excavation time of Ancient Sites reduced to 8 hours
Manufacture time for archaeology probes was reduced by approximately 40%.
Lowering the requirement for Triton Umbra and Scylla Smaragdus to be researched by the aliens.

Bug fixes

Few minor bugs were fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That change list actually looks… good? What’s happening?