Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

A relative of my wife's got diagnosed with leukemia about five years ago and has been dying a slow painful death in and out of the hospital ever since. All his organs are failing now and the hospital he's been in basically kicked him out because his insurance ran out and there's nothing they can do for him anymore. His family has been suffering with him the entire time watching him die.

Assisted suicide really needs to be legalized because no way anyone should have to go through what this man is going through.

drat. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Assisted suicide really needs to be legalized because no way anyone should have to go through what this man is going through.
Agreed, and

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

A relative of my wife's got diagnosed with leukemia about five years ago and has been dying a slow painful death in and out of the hospital ever since. All his organs are failing now and the hospital he's been in basically kicked him out because his insurance ran out and there's nothing they can do for him anymore. His family has been suffering with him the entire time watching him die.

So sorry about that man, that's terrible. I've been there, watched my mom suffer for 2 years and the end was really bad. After seeing that I'll never put myself or my family through it. I'll take myself out when it gets too bad.

Insurance companies are crooks, pay all that money over the years and it's insane that it's legal to drop someone when they get too expensive.

It's really sad that we can put pets down when their quality of life is gone but a person doesn't have that option, legally anyway. Hospice care is the best especially when you can be home for the end and not going out in some hospital. The hospice person that took care of my mom was the best. She made sure the best she could that my mom wasn't in pain even after she wasn't lucid anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm pretty sure the next step is hospice for him. I guess we can't have human euthanasia because how would the hospitals and doctors make money if all the suffering patients just killed themselves? That's bad for business and the bottom line.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Yeah I'm pretty sure the next step is hospice for him. I guess we can't have human euthanasia because how would the hospitals and doctors make money if all the suffering patients just killed themselves? That's bad for business and the bottom line.

Thats so cynical Im amazed I havent said it.

Because that never occured to me anyone could willing be evil like that.

Going on the evidence of Royal Commissions into aged care and how they literally prey on the old sick and dying..... yes they really could be evil like that

gently caress

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
For fucks sake, it would be nice with just ONE day where I didn't have to fix other people's problems and/or fuckups.

I see a paid sick day in my future where I wear workpants and tidy the basement and talk to absolutely noone.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thats so cynical Im amazed I havent said it.

Because that never occured to me anyone could willing be evil like that.

Going on the evidence of Royal Commissions into aged care and how they literally prey on the old sick and dying..... yes they really could be evil like that

gently caress

Tbh that's the only real reason I can think of to why it's not legal, it always comes down to money. Sure one could think well I'll just do it myself but when you're bed ridden in a hospital it's not easy. And if one of your family members tries to help they risk going to prison, it's loving bullshit.

I suppose if hospitals could charge $200k per assisted suicide to cover all the loses of keeping a patient alive it would be legalized.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Doctors utterly despise the unnecessary suffering inflicted upon patients in futile end-of-life care, and routinely try to convince unwilling families to consider comfort care for terminal cases. You don't get to blame this one on us.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
We made friends with the family down the street in the first house I group up in. We're still super-good friends and they're basically family at this point. Well, the Dad (my parents age) has a tumor in his lung. They haven't finished the biopsy yet so we don't know exactly how bad it is. I've been busy with my own problems but this is just a bit of whip cream on this garbage month.

gently caress Cancer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It is legal in 8 states.

But yeah the legality of suicide is blocked by politicians and religious nuts, not doctors. YOU COULD GET BETTER IF YOU JUST PRAY HARD ENOUGH. IF YOU KILL YOURSELF YOU TAKE AWAY THE POSSIBILITY OF A MIRACLE.

Also ironic how again, most people opposed to legal suicide JUST IN CASE doctors are wrong, are all about the death penalty for criminals even though judges and juries are really, provably, often wrong.

Apologies if this turns the thread political.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My cousin's wife -- marathon-runner, lifelong non-smoker -- was having right-side chest discomfort. Her PCP ordered an x-ray, and there was a big loving mass. They removed a huge chunk of her right upper lobe. Clean margins, thank goodness, but that always hands with you, with every cough, every vague ache.

In summary: gently caress cancer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
On a lighter note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXVfYkCXdWY&t=236s

2 weeks ago, Doug Demuroe (trigger warning) posted a video about his supercar numberplate.
Which was kind of interesting as it explained about a common tax dodge

Then, 3 days ago, this popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4GziDICSSg&t=3s

spog fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 30, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Doctors utterly despise the unnecessary suffering inflicted upon patients in futile end-of-life care, and routinely try to convince unwilling families to consider comfort care for terminal cases. You don't get to blame this one on us.

Fair enough. I just think the reason assisted suicide is illegal is because of money, not what's best for the patient.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

a common tax dodge

I did a similar thing in the '90s, but for window tint. I lived in a stupid small town and the cops bought a window tint analyzer and they had a super hard-on for using it. I was driving a '90 coupe quattro that was black with 35% windows. I got two tickets in 6 months for nothing other than driving while tinted. The car had a tan interior, which would have looked like poo poo without the tinted windows.

So, I drove the car to Texas, where my parents lived at the time, "gave" the car to my mom and transferred title to her name and drove the car back home to Ohio. Local cops couldn't touch me anymore because window tint laws can't be applied to out of state vehicles. :coal:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fair enough. I just think the reason assisted suicide is illegal is because of money, not what's best for the patient.

And you say it by smearing an entire profession despite the fact that simply searching for physician support for assisted suicide would reveal a majority of doctors support it, and that further searching would reveal doctor's thoughts on end-of-life care and the need for transitioning to palliative care. You further base this off of some absurd gut notion that it's hospitals driving this due to profit as opposed to a combination of religion intruding into politics as well as families experiencing guilt and unrealistic expectations of recovery. While end-of-life costs are high, especially in the final week of life, a terminally-ill patient being needlessly kept alive ties up a much-needed bed, and that opportunity cost is a drag on finances and productivity, not a boon to some pencil-pusher in an office. So you can think it, but you're wrong, and offensively so.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Friendly reminder there's a MEAT MEET at my place in RVA this weekend. PM for deets! Bring yo meats!

Current list is Terrible Robot, Wrar, toplitzin, alternate.eago, iForge, and a decent amount of EvE goons.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Goddamn, I've been going through a pretty savage bout of depression lately and this thread isn't helping one bit

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This is a bus garage in Gillete, Wyoming.

You're looking at the corporate headquarters of a company who operated subsidiaries in several states up the east coast, west coast, south and midwest. The company I worked for had garages in Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus and Cincinnati, and had about 120 buses on the road at any given time. And they were all registered out of this shack in Wyoming, so the entire fleet had Wyoming license plates with the cowboy riding a bucking bronco. I heard it saved the parent company $100/year in taxes by doing it that way.

It was interesting showing up in places like DC or Orlando, to have people come up and ask "Wow, did you guys drive all the way from Wyoming?"
To which I'd reply :smuggo: "Nah, we flew here."

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spog posted:

On a lighter note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXVfYkCXdWY&t=236s

2 weeks ago, Doug Demuroe (trigger warning) posted a video about his supercar numberplate.
Which was kind of interesting as it explained about a common tax dodge

Then, 3 days ago, this popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4GziDICSSg&t=3s

Yeah, you definitely can't do this.

(Also, nobody's going to feel bad for someone who bought 50 supercars in the last few years.)

meatpimp posted:

I did a similar thing in the '90s, but for window tint. I lived in a stupid small town and the cops bought a window tint analyzer and they had a super hard-on for using it. I was driving a '90 coupe quattro that was black with 35% windows. I got two tickets in 6 months for nothing other than driving while tinted. The car had a tan interior, which would have looked like poo poo without the tinted windows.

So, I drove the car to Texas, where my parents lived at the time, "gave" the car to my mom and transferred title to her name and drove the car back home to Ohio. Local cops couldn't touch me anymore because window tint laws can't be applied to out of state vehicles. :coal:

Or this.

I mean, you can, but it's not legal.

I haven't looked it up in Ohio (I bet it's the same though...) but I was talking to someone on Facebook about Georgia and Georgia has a law that says if you're a Georgia resident you have to register your vehicle in Georgia. "But, these LLCs aren't Georgia residents!" you might say. Sure, but don't worry they thought of that. If you're a visitor to Georgia you can only operate your vehicle in Georgia for up to 90 days, after which you're obligated to register it in Georgia. I think there's room for an interesting case where a person has actually followed all the corporate formalities and appointed themselves an officer and their LLC agreement says that they're allowed to operate the car and then you live in Georgia but you have a house in, for example, Tennessee and you drive the car to Tennessee for a weekend every couple of months. But that's definitely not what's happening here so...

Maybe an opportunity for some kind of pooled ownership agreement where you lease your car back from an Arizona company a la uhaul and then Arizona passes along their proportional

CornHolio posted:

Goddamn, I've been going through a pretty savage bout of depression lately and this thread isn't helping one bit

Does this help?

NoWake posted:

This is a bus garage in Gillete, Wyoming.

You're looking at the corporate headquarters of a company who operated subsidiaries in several states up the east coast, west coast, south and midwest. The company I worked for had garages in Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus and Cincinnati, and had about 120 buses on the road at any given time. And they were all registered out of this shack in Wyoming, so the entire fleet had Wyoming license plates with the cowboy riding a bucking bronco. I heard it saved the parent company $100/year in taxes by doing it that way.

It was interesting showing up in places like DC or Orlando, to have people come up and ask "Wow, did you guys drive all the way from Wyoming?"
To which I'd reply :smuggo: "Nah, we flew here."

Theoretically, they should/could be doing this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Registration_Plan It's how all UHauls are registered in Arizona.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Anyone enjoy Stoicism? I've been reading a bunch of Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus quotes recently and they've been hitting home for me.

"Choose not to be harmed, and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed, and you haven't been." - Marcus Aurelius

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Anyone enjoy Stoicism? I've been reading a bunch of Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus quotes recently and they've been hitting home for me.

"Choose not to be harmed, and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed, and you haven't been." - Marcus Aurelius

The ol' sticks and stones defense.

e: stoicism is good though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And you say it by smearing an entire profession despite the fact that simply searching for physician support for assisted suicide would reveal a majority of doctors support it, and that further searching would reveal doctor's thoughts on end-of-life care and the need for transitioning to palliative care. You further base this off of some absurd gut notion that it's hospitals driving this due to profit as opposed to a combination of religion intruding into politics as well as families experiencing guilt and unrealistic expectations of recovery. While end-of-life costs are high, especially in the final week of life, a terminally-ill patient being needlessly kept alive ties up a much-needed bed, and that opportunity cost is a drag on finances and productivity, not a boon to some pencil-pusher in an office. So you can think it, but you're wrong, and offensively so.

Ok, sorry you took offense but that's my opinion :shrug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

In my current mood that sounds like victim blaming.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

builds character posted:

I mean, you can, but it's not legal.

I haven't looked it up in Ohio (I bet it's the same though...) but I was talking to someone on Facebook about Georgia and Georgia has a law that says if you're a Georgia resident you have to register your vehicle in Georgia. "But, these LLCs aren't Georgia residents!" you might say. Sure, but don't worry they thought of that. If you're a visitor to Georgia you can only operate your vehicle in Georgia for up to 90 days, after which you're obligated to register it in Georgia. I think there's room for an interesting case where a person has actually followed all the corporate formalities and appointed themselves an officer and their LLC agreement says that they're allowed to operate the car and then you live in Georgia but you have a house in, for example, Tennessee and you drive the car to Tennessee for a weekend every couple of months. But that's definitely not what's happening here so...

It wasn't "my" car, though. I was just borrowing it from my mom. I know it's skirting the law, but for something as stupid as window tint, I was okay with it. Still am.

cakesmith handyman posted:

In my current mood that sounds like victim blaming.

Or victim non-blaming?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

For fucks sake, it would be nice with just ONE day where I didn't have to fix other people's problems and/or fuckups.

I see a paid sick day in my future where I wear workpants and tidy the basement and talk to absolutely noone.

Sounds like a plan, I should take one of those too.

Luckily I have Thursday and Friday off this week, going to a 3-day metal festival at the other end of the country. I'm gonna get so. loving. Wasted. It's gonna be awesome :rock:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

builds character posted:

Theoretically, they should/could be doing this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Registration_Plan It's how all UHauls are registered in Arizona.

That's definitely what we did, I thought it was more for fuel tax though. We had a company form for the driver to put down how many miles they drove in each state. I haven't used my CDL in 5 years, but I'll still catch myself reaching to clear the trip odometer while crossing the border into another state.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Hell yeah.
I Read Tom Wolfes “a man in full”, introduced me to Stoicism, actually it just put a name on a good chunk of my belief system.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Sounds kinda bootstrappy

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

"im not harmed! im not harmed!!", i continue to insist as my empire shrinks and transforms into multiple nation-states

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

builds character posted:

Does this help?

:hellyeah: check out that pupper scrubbing the jump

Assisted suicide/end of life care is interesting and the moral implications involved. Needless suffering is a horrible thing. There was a super interesting podcast episode of Freakonomics that discusses some alternative thoughts on how to handle end of life costs and what goes where.

Some days I am afraid of the whole death thing, and other times not so much. That is inclusive of my own religious beliefs too. I find that looking for the daily joys in the mortal experience help me through it all.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AdiaBOOtic posted:

I don't think a Roman emperor is the best person to be citing for "lmao how the gently caress is cyberbullying real just close your eyes lol". Reads a lot like the concept of bootstrapping oneself via a small loan of a million dollars.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Assisted suicide/end of life care is interesting and the moral implications involved. Needless suffering is a horrible thing. There was a super interesting podcast episode of Freakonomics that discusses some alternative thoughts on how to handle end of life costs and what goes where.

Some days I am afraid of the whole death thing, and other times not so much. That is inclusive of my own religious beliefs too. I find that looking for the daily joys in the mortal experience help me through it all.

Assisted death laws finally passed up here in Canuckistan not long ago. Because of that, two family members of mine have been spared weeks of lovely agony. I am so, so glad that the options are opening. Not sure how the states where it is legal handle it, but up here there are specific teams of doctors/nurses who handle it. Your doctor can refer you to them - they review your case - and then there are a series of meeting/interviews (the first ones teleconference, the final ones in person) where the patient discusses why they want to go forward with it. For my sister in law, my brother said the team were some of the most incredible, empathetic people he's met. They were amazing, fully open about the process, and absolutely non-judgmental. I am so glad she was able to choose to go peacefully with dignity.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

AdiaBOOtic posted:

I feel like this is the 'thinking' man's version of those 'live, laugh, love' posters in the homes of many women.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CornHolio posted:

:same:

Dealing with a lot of stuff right now, and much of it I can't talk about on the forums yet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bolind posted:

I'm Desktop Support.
It's literally my job to do exactly that.
I'm just too good at it, and too lazy to find something else. Definitely too lazy to start over doing something else.

Also, since I'm currently contract, I don't have any PTO or holidays.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

meatpimp posted:

It wasn't "my" car, though. I was just borrowing it from my mom. I know it's skirting the law, but for something as stupid as window tint, I was okay with it. Still am.

Or victim non-blaming?

Sure, your mom's the one breaking the law. I don't particularly care, and I don't think the state cares either because it's just one person and it's about tint and not tax.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I love dogs scrubbing jumps. Also, whatever this is.

angryrobots posted:

"im not harmed! im not harmed!!", i continue to insist as my empire shrinks and transforms into multiple nation-states

:golfclap:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

meatpimp posted:

Or victim non-blaming?

"You're only harmed if you choose to be" okay, it's great if we're talking about taking offense, not so great if are talking about actual harm or hate speech.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

"You're only harmed if you choose to be" okay, it's great if we're talking about taking offense, not so great if are talking about actual harm or hate speech.

It's a pretty dumb quote either way to be honest. It's easy to tell others they have no business being 'harmed' by anything if you're y'know, the Roman emperor.

Something something ivory tower.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I feel like this is the 'thinking' man's version of those 'live, laugh, love' posters in the homes of many women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I don't think a Roman emperor is the best person to be citing for "lmao how the gently caress is cyberbullying real just close your eyes lol". Reads a lot like the concept of bootstrapping oneself via a small loan of a million dollars.

? It wasn't in response to anything in particular.

• Locked thread