Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

it was credit risk that time, this time it is interest rate risk

give it a quarter and itll come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

i feel like its market manipulation but idk.

seems very different than 2008 but, again, idkwtf

a lot of it is market manipulation, the "founders" (which will always have fascist undertones to me, thanks ds9) realize the odds of getting a bailout are pretty low and are accordingly trying to engineer bank runs on other institutions so that a general bailout is both necessary and more palatable

i think at least some of them realize the cognitive dissonance between screaming "WE ARE THE ONLY VALUABLE PART OF THE ECONOMY YOU WILL REGRET THIS" and actually producing nothing of value, so it's an interesting gambit

probably illegal though lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1634960013667041280

if only there were some alternative to charter schools

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Beeftweeter posted:

i do have some sympathy for the people playing by the rules and making a genuinely useful product, but for every one of those there are 20 bespoke to-do list apps that absolutely should not have received the amount of funding they did. they were always running on borrowed time and we also knew this, that's the point of these long-running threads

yeah it’s pretty frustrating. i turned down quite a few gigs that were clearly prime tech bublè thread material before i finally found the one i’m in now. however i also know how to read a room and have held back on kramering around the rest of the internet to NOT ALL STARTUPS at all the well-deserved venom being directed at this scene in general.

i’m pretty sure we’ll survive this because as i said before, we make a real product that a lot of real companies are relying on to solve very real problems and pay us buku real money for it. it’ll be really disappointing if we go belly up over something so incredibly stupid

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1635042718484185088

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah it’s pretty frustrating. i turned down quite a few gigs that were clearly prime tech bublè thread material before i finally found the one i’m in now. however i also know how to read a room and have held back on kramering around the rest of the internet to NOT ALL STARTUPS at all the well-deserved venom being directed at this scene in general.

i’m pretty sure we’ll survive this because as i said before, we make a real product that a lot of real companies are relying on to solve very real problems and pay us buku real money for it. it’ll be really disappointing if we go belly up over something so incredibly stupid

unironically hope it works out for you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

quote:

We are also announcing a similar systemic risk exception for Signature Bank, New York, New York, which was closed today by its state chartering authority. All depositors of this institution will be made whole.

lmao

quote:

Shareholders and certain unsecured debtholders will not be protected. Senior management has also been removed. Any losses to the Deposit Insurance Fund to support uninsured depositors will be recovered by a special assessment on banks, as required by law.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

v striking lack of details on what they're actually doing there eh

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh there's a separate release with that. it seems v similar to stuff they've been doing a lot of in this past decade, it's just quantitative easing again.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20230312a.htm

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Pinterest Mom posted:

v striking lack of details on what they're actually doing there eh

60 minutes did a segment on the FDIC taking over a bank back in '08 and I found it pretty illuminating in terms of "what do they do"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAE8i40A5uI

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

drat so the end result is similar to the bank being closed an extra couple of days? I’ve seen worse fates for banks that switched mobile apps.

bdid must be devastated that people will be fine.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

dow/s&p/nasdaq/russell futures soaring! everything is fine!

socialize those losses! actions have no consequences!

i hate these loving people so very, very much

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

beaucoup

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

rotor posted:

beaucoup

merci

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

guillotine

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

The_Franz posted:

did we read different press releases? they’re making it very clear that the share holders and creditors are gonna eat poo poo. as they should

rotor posted:

beaucoup

thank you. i knew i was misspelling it but didn’t care to look up the correct one

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, assuming they couldn’t go through the accounts and only insure the ones that add value to society, this is probably a best case scenario.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PIZZA.BAT posted:

did we read different press releases? they’re making it very clear that the share holders and creditors are gonna eat poo poo. as they should

thank you. i knew i was misspelling it but didn’t care to look up the correct one

i had to look it up too

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/stevehouf/status/1635048569379127296

this is designed to solve all the balance sheet duration risk issues across the industry

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how would loans at par help?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

how would loans at par help?

banks have a mix of assets - some cash, most not

the problem with a bank run is people are asking for cash, and you can't really give them a treasury bond or whatever instead

this is the fed coming in and saying "look, give us the treasury bond, we'll give you cash of the same value to get through a short-term cash crunch, and a year from now we'll just do the same trade in the opposite direction". nobody's overall balance sheet is being changed, just what those balance sheets are composed of.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that makes perfect sense at least

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

whoever first said "there are no libertarians in a bank run" is my personal hero

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/1635052327324520449

:sickos:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i guess this problem was much more systemic than was being let on and if the contagion was allowed to spread on monday we’d be looking at a real poo poo circus

the fact they’re making the banks pay for their fuckup this time is a bit of a breath of fresh air for once

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/798965149716709486/1083488232525791232/RPReplay_Final1678372783.mov

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i guess this problem was much more systemic than was being let on and if the contagion was allowed to spread on monday we’d be looking at a real poo poo circus

the fact they’re making the banks pay for their fuckup this time is a bit of a breath of fresh air for once

you post a post like this on tuesday

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i dont loving know why discord embeds work sometimes and sometimes they dont. whatever

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the horrifying truth we must all grasp here is that money touchers feel the same way about having to touch money as computer touchers feel about having to touch computar

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you post a post like this on tuesday

i was saying you were right! there was (and still is) real risk of contagion. the fact they’re implementing this program confirms that it was actually way worse than we thought

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there really is a strong possibility of the fed playing weekend at bernies with some banks until cob friday either case. we will know everything by may

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they aren't, the shareholders have mostly already cashed out. the bank itself, which has already been closed down, just will not have equity

the same people that were in charge of running it will get jobs at other financial institutions or venture capital firms. nothing will change and nobody will learn anything

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i will not believe these fuckers are seeing consequences until it actually happens

same as liz holmes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

they aren't, the shareholders have mostly already cashed out. the bank itself, which has already been closed down, just will not have equity

the same people that were in charge of running it will get jobs at other financial institutions or venture capital firms. nothing will change and nobody will learn anything

i mean sure panic selling your shares as the price plunges to the floor is technically ‘cashing out’ but i very much doubt it was what they had in mind

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

they probably won’t be allowed to run a deposit bank not that that means poo poo. you’d think that that’s actually one of the less profitable jobs in finance and banking

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

VCs killing their own bank has managed to both kill the last remaining US crypto centric bank and solve the single biggest balance sheet challenge for the rest of the US banking industry. frankly good job by VCs lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/Jason/status/1635043623019638785

congrats, @jason :)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I’m looking at the futures market, which is way up, because markets/their devotees are incredibly stupid and not rational at all.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i mean sure panic selling your shares as the price plunges to the floor is technically ‘cashing out’ but i very much doubt it was what they had in mind

the ceo sold $3.7 million worth of shares on thursday, either way they are doing way better than (probably) any one of us and a soft cushion is entirely undeserved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i dont loving know why discord embeds work sometimes and sometimes they dont. whatever

it's a mov file. ain't nobody playing that