Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm suddenly not feeling 100% sure that henchmen would level up with you to whatever level you are. If higher level ones cost vastly more it's making me doubt it. I cannot test it myself because my characters both have lone wolf. Is there someone that can confirm if they do or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm suddenly not feeling 100% sure that henchmen would level up with you to whatever level you are. If higher level ones cost vastly more it's making me doubt it. I cannot test it myself because my characters both have lone wolf. Is there someone that can confirm if they do or not?

I'll see if I can test it out.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
To sort of wrap up my thoughts on character creation and builds, assuming I only have Jahan and Madora to work with as my free, easily accessible, long-haul companions, here's what I'd do from a powergamey perspective:

PC1 is a Wizard, Fire/Earth magic. Focus stats in Int/Spd, talents whatever you like. The wizard will be our big nuker mage, focusing on Fire magic and later adding strong Earth and maybe Witchcraft or another element. They're also going to handle looting, ID'ing, and selling, so will take a point each in Lucky Charm, Barter, and Loremaster and add to those as needed.
PC2 is a Ranger, Dex and Spd with some Per. Talents I'd suggest Politician and Pet Pal, this will be your "face" character and since it's not a caster will not be hurt by sacrificing 1 Int for 2 Charisma. Buy a single point in Charisma and you've got 3 total which is a LOT for winning arguments. They'll also be your trap scouter, so not a bad idea to put some of the rogue skills here too.
Jahan stays mostly a support Air/Water mage with healing, buffs, CC, and some decent damage spells. He starts with +1 Crafting and Blacksmithing so I'll stick with that and have him be my crafting character. Can diversify a little into other magic schools later.
Madora stays a straight fighter and will be our tank. Sink some points into Defences and Constitution, send her smashing into enemies!

Someone in your party should have a point or two in Leadership, too, the buff is great. Probably one of the Source Hunters.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Killsion posted:

I'll see if I can test it out.

Ok bought the lvl 1 knight Tyrlaan. After buying him I saw a thing indicating someone gained like 8k xp, but when I checked him, he was just level 1 and needed 2k XP to level. Went about town with him, got him a level, he is now level 2, while rest of party is around 3.

Given the whole "finite number of experience" it is not wise to hire a henchman below your level I'd say or they'll be playing catch up the whole time. The tradeoff is being level 1, they are entirely malleable and you can build them however you please beyond their initial presets.

EDIT: Also, while having Madora and Jahan in the party, I could not recruit a henchman. I have low leadership so I presume leadership determines eligibility for a 5th or 6th party member though I am unsure of the amount needed. Gonna go make a quick insane leadership party.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 30, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The cap is 4 people.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Larian does tend to have clever names for achievements. Dragon Commander has a bunch of hilarious ones if you know the context.

Ciaphas posted:

Don't supppose there are any skills or traits that lend themselves to unarmed combat?

what ho, muscle wizard

None. Don't try unarmed combat.

There's no traps skill, but the Rogue later gets some kind of thing which is sort-of like that, I think.

Good guide Pellisworth, but I don't particularly agree with your inclusion of "how to min-max your Traits" in a guide for new players and the spoiler-filled section, even if they are minor spoilers and they are tagged. I personally think those are things that new players should learn on their own. At least for the first playthrough, maybe they should treat this like a role-playing game and not a munchkin simulator.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

None. Don't try unarmed combat.

But but but... I cast Fist?

:smith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

But but but... I cast Fist?

:smith:

You should make your jokes in the Obsidian Pillars thread, where people might find such memes still amusing.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
This game is definitely of another time the whole 'welp no quest markers is this the 90s' thing. It's pretty great.

Also, I found that fire/earth wizards are as much danger to the group as everything else. My poor rogue kept getting immolated to the point where I've now run out of revive tomes and she's just a pile of ash somewhere. :supaburn: Being on fire outside of combat mode is no joke.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Drifter posted:

You should make your jokes in the Obsidian Pillars thread, where people might find such memes still amusing.

Sorry, I'm really not on the ball today. :(

Gameplay question, is there a key or something to turn your character without spending AP, or do you have to spend one? In the few minutes I played I had a bad habit of facing my dudes the wrong way, and I'm guessing that makes things like shields not work.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Good guide Pellisworth, but I don't particularly agree with your inclusion of "how to min-max your Traits" in a guide for new players and the spoiler-filled section, even if they are minor spoilers and they are tagged. I personally think those are things that new players should learn on their own. At least for the first playthrough, maybe they should treat this like a role-playing game and not a munchkin simulator.

Sure and that's why I spoilered them, and really it's entirely viable and maybe the best way to play to start with few/no utility skills and just see what you get from role playing, let your character "develop" into being a pickpocketing thief or your party leader. You get so many of those free points from conversations before and immediately upon arriving in town, by the time you actually use any of the applicable skills someone in your party probably has a free bonus Trait point in it already. I figure if you're reading a gigantic sperglordy wall of text on character builds, where to get some of those first few skill points is helpful. I mean, they're not secrets, and you can always quicksave in the middle of a conversation before choosing an option and reload if you don't like the outcome.

I intentionally didn't mention anything after the first ~30min tutorial and arrival into town, anyway.

Ciaphas posted:

Sorry, I'm really not on the ball today. :(

Gameplay question, is there a key or something to turn your character without spending AP, or do you have to spend one? In the few minutes I played I had a bad habit of facing my dudes the wrong way, and I'm guessing that makes things like shields not work.

I actually have no idea about shields specifically, but I don't know of a turn key. If it exists that'd be nice, positioning a rogue for a backstab is a pain in the dick because of the narrow window you have to align yourself behind the enemy monster. The ground is probably on fire or poison or possibly there is a poison cloud AND fire on the ground.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Atlas Moth posted:

This game is definitely of another time the whole 'welp no quest markers is this the 90s' thing. It's pretty great.

Also, I found that fire/earth wizards are as much danger to the group as everything else. My poor rogue kept getting immolated to the point where I've now run out of revive tomes and she's just a pile of ash somewhere. :supaburn: Being on fire outside of combat mode is no joke.

Got anyone that could cast some water/ice on the ground? That's what I would try if possible. I have no idea that it would work, I'm waiting to play the game beyond the tutorial area until release. I hope something like this would work, though!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mr. nobody posted:

Got anyone that could cast some water/ice on the ground? That's what I would try if possible. I have no idea that it would work, I'm waiting to play the game beyond the tutorial area until release. I hope something like this would work, though!

There is a Rain spell, and it works exactly how you'd expect w/r/t Burning things :v:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know the release time of the game? Steam still lists it as early access, so as far as I can see it only lists the date of release, and not how many hours until the release version unlocks. Wouldn't be much of an issue, but these days we get games that unlock at 9pm the day before, or midnight, or 3am, or 10am, etc, etc.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

cheesetriangles posted:

The cap is 4 people.

Always saw Larian say 4-6.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know the release time of the game? Steam still lists it as early access, so as far as I can see it only lists the date of release, and not how many hours until the release version unlocks. Wouldn't be much of an issue, but these days we get games that unlock at 9pm the day before, or midnight, or 3am, or 10am, etc, etc.

10am PST was mentioned in the last couple pages

Killsion posted:

2 Source Hunters + max 2 companions/henchmen + 2 summons I believe

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Anyone buying the collector's edition want to sell their extra copy?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Killsion posted:

4 Characters and 2 summons, I think.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Killsion posted:

http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/faq.php

quote:

Q. Turn based with 2 characters... I thought this was party based. With, like, a bigger party...

A. Each hero can hire a henchman. And you can summon elementals. So party size can grow up to four. If you're feeling really bold, you can try to take on combat without henchmen, but good luck with all that!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hmmm.... does this work as a new thread title:

Divinity: Original Sin–My partner talks to his underwear - & it talks back!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Much funnier without the and it talks back! part.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Anyone buying the collector's edition want to sell their extra copy?

Is that the same as the $60 kickstarter one? if so I'll sell it to you.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

mr. nobody posted:

Good idea, though fire is really only a problem upon exitting combat whilst someone (my abused rogue) is on fire. It just eats up her health bar so fast I can't get a spell off in time to choke out the fire.

In retrospect, rogue/wizard might not have been the best combination. That or I'm terrible. Probably the latter.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

DrManiac posted:

Is that the $60 kickstarter one? if so I'll sell it to you.

I was referring to http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/ but if you have a spare copy just PM me a price!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Divinity: Original Sin - I meant to kill this one rear end in a top hat but I murdered the entire village

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Atlas Moth posted:

Good idea, though fire is really only a problem upon exitting combat whilst someone (my abused rogue) is on fire. It just eats up her health bar so fast I can't get a spell off in time to choke out the fire.

In retrospect, rogue/wizard might not have been the best combination. That or I'm terrible. Probably the latter.

Nah that's a perfectly fine combo, rogue is just tricky to use effectively because the burning/poison damage from stepping on each is so high and difficult to avoid. I don't know how far into the game you are, but I think my last playthrough (level 9, at final beta boss?? Braccus Rex) I could've finished the last fight much more easily with a ranged character than a rogue, there's just so much burning. Let me tell you, it don't get better :smith:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

I was referring to http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/ but if you have a spare copy just PM me a price!

I don't have plat, so just shoot me an email. drmanic11@gmail.com

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
If someone else wants to get at my extra copy just hit me up. I have plat.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Hmmm.... does this work as a new thread title:

Divinity: Original Sin–My partner talks to his underwear - & it talks back!

cheesetriangles posted:

Much funnier without the and it talks back! part.

Yeah, I like either that or the Ishmashell one from earlier.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Do we know how character creation is going to work? Should I make a new multiplayer game tomorrow after launch and customize one guy, leave the other one as whatever, and then when my friend gets home he can join my game (that I haven't played any of yet) and make his character?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

KingKapalone posted:

Do we know how character creation is going to work? Should I make a new multiplayer game tomorrow after launch and customize one guy, leave the other one as whatever, and then when my friend gets home he can join my game (that I haven't played any of yet) and make his character?

You can make his character for him, or just have him join your game during character creation so he can make his own. Both work.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Divinity: Original Sin– Don't listen to the sheep

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
Divinity: Original Sin- Argue with youself!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So is there going to be a separate key given out on the larian vault for kickstarter backers that's different from the alpha/beta key? If so, when is that getting released? I'm way too loving hype for this game right now.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I'm interested in buying someone's second copy, PM me? I have plat. Thanks!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I thought the exploding skeletons were a Jeff Dunham reference and got inconsolable and sad for a brief time.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I'm also looking to buy someones second copy. Can offer games/paypal, or a combination of the 2.

I have plat and my steam id is the same as here.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Thanks to nem-x for selling me his extra copy.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Missed nem-x's copy, still looking for one, will check PMs in the morning. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I've got no interest in co-op play so having both main characters talk to one another comes across as a bit goofy. Still, fun game so far, very much reminds me of TOEE combat-wise.

• Locked thread