Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sarion posted:

I agree it is a very good rhetorical strategy, especially when you're needing to convince people with something like a speech where lots of information is just going to turn people away. The key, of course, is to have it still backed up with evidence. You're totally right about why it's done; it just pisses me off.

My point in bringing it up is that maybe we ought to focus on that? We all know how citing sources works on Facebook/emails. Maybe it'd be better to work out an argument that appears simple and neat at face value, and used it to argue for stuff we know factually to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sarion posted:

I hate "common-sense" anything so much; all it ever really means is "we don't have any evidence to support our claim", like every loving time. If you don't have evidence, just claim common-sense. Can't argue with that stupid libtards :smugbert:

Just substitute "according to my/our ideology" in for "common sense".

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Sarion posted:

Thanks for this. I only just started reading it and had to stop at the Republican's first sentence, "Well let's just say a common-sense policy..." I didn't get any further than that before :cripes:

I hate "common-sense" anything so much; all it ever really means is "we don't have any evidence to support our claim", like every loving time. If you don't have evidence, just claim common-sense. Can't argue with that stupid libtards :smugbert:

E: This part made me chuckle:

Fun fact, I happen to know Bernie O'Neill very well, and though I don't live in his district, if I did, I would have no problem voting for him as a hardcore Democrat.

The guy basically burned all of his political capital in Harrisburg fighting against stupid poo poo his party was trying to do to teachers.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

My point in bringing it up is that maybe we ought to focus on that? We all know how citing sources works on Facebook/emails. Maybe it'd be better to work out an argument that appears simple and neat at face value, and used it to argue for stuff we know factually to be true.

A good point, and worth trying.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

losonti tokash posted:

If it makes you feel better, I was listening to On Point earlier in the day and the host interrupted to basically make that exact statement. The Republican just kinda stuttered for a bit and moved on. Dude kept saying it was about increasing confidence even after the other guest literally said "yeah we've done studies on this and voter id laws have absolutely no effect on voter confidence because the people who believe in a non-existent problem are still going to think it's there anyway."

That's exactly the segment I'm talking about; I didn't really see anyone confront the judicialwatch shithead on saying the south wants fair elections, though I do remember the research that says beliefs don't change with facts that you're talking about.

Maybe I was just tired. Working for 10 hours and then going to school for 3 so that Romney can call me a lazy irresponsible leech will do that.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

Does anyone have a good source for the "absentee ballots are a big problem" claim? It gets thrown around a lot, and I have plenty of sources for "in person fraud is exceedingly rare" but I'd love to be able to show that I do care about voting fraud in these arguments.

This is the best resource I've seen with respect to electoral fraud allegations / convictions: http://votingrights.news21.com/interactive/election-fraud-database/

They have 491 cases of alleged Absentee Ballot Fraud and 10 cases of alleged Voter Impersonation Fraud since 2000. While their database isn't complete (some states / parts of states did not submit information from requests) it's the best of it's kind that I've ever seen. But we can play with these numbers as a baseline. In 2008, there was 1 case of alleged voter impersonation fraud and 61 cases of alleged absentee ballot fraud. I'm going to be super duper generous here and say that 99% of all electoral fraud goes without being caught, which is a bullshit statistic I'm pulling out of my rear end but we'll go with the benefit for those alleging massive fraud.

Using that estimate means that in 2008, 100 people impersonated someone else in the election. And 6,100 people committed absentee ballot fraud. I'm going to give even more of the benefit of the doubt here and assume that, for maximum electoral fuckup possibility, all these fraudulent votes were for one candidate, Barack Obama. 131 million votes were cast in the 2008 elections, and Obama/Biden won the popular vote by almost 10 million votes.

If 99% of electoral fraud in 2008 went uncaught and all voter impersonation fraud AND absentee ballot fraud went in favor of Barack Obama, those votes would constitute 0.065% of the difference in votes between the two leading campaigns. Voter impersonation votes would make up 0.0011% of the difference, which is one one-thousandth of one percent of the difference.

Voter ID is a literal waste of MY TAX DOLLARS, even if somehow voter ID were to stop absentee ballot fraud too. It doesn't, and absentee ballot fraud outweighs voter impersonation fraud by quite a margin. Someone else suggested it on these forums (maybe in this thread?) but I wager the argument would turn pretty quick if you suggested that people should only be allowed to pickup their absentee ballots in person no more than 60 days before an election from the county courthouse where they claim residency in person and with a photo ID. What's that, can't get a ballot because you're stationed overseas or doing a church mission outside the country? That's the price we pay for electoral accuracy then, maybe you shouldn't be so lazy about getting your ballot.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 2, 2012

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Goatman Sacks posted:

Since everyone loves facebook argument chat; a high school friend of mine is using his GI bill and low student loan rates to go to law school. Voter ID discussion

"My Con Law professor is talking about how the Constitution works." :negative:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

If 99% of electoral fraud in 2008 went uncaught and all voter impersonation fraud AND absentee ballot fraud went in favor of Barack Obama, those votes would constitute 0.065% of the difference in votes between the two leading campaigns. Voter impersonation votes would make up 0.0011% of the difference, which is one one-thousandth of one percent of the difference.

Voter ID is a literal waste of MY TAX DOLLARS, even if somehow voter ID were to stop absentee ballot fraud too.

I just wanna chime in and say this is a super effective debate tactic: Give the opponent the total benefit of the doubt. "Let's take the worst-case scenario and multiply it by 100 times. Does that sound fair? Okay? Alright, it still wouldn't matter. You're wasting my tax dollars, and inflating the size of the government."

I got a "Well, I still think you're wrong," but the tone was such that I knew he'd not be bringing up that argument again. Hopefully he thought about it later.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

Voter ID is a literal waste of MY TAX DOLLARS, even if somehow voter ID were to stop absentee ballot fraud too. It doesn't, and absentee ballot fraud outweighs voter impersonation fraud by quite a margin. Someone else suggested it on these forums (maybe in this thread?) but I wager the argument would turn pretty quick if you suggested that people should only be allowed to pickup their absentee ballots in person no more than 60 days before an election from the county courthouse where they claim residency in person and with a photo ID. What's that, can't get a ballot because you're stationed overseas or doing a church mission outside the country? That's the price we pay for electoral accuracy then, maybe you shouldn't be so lazy about getting your ballot.

I think I posted something like this in this thread. Something about making absentee voting nearly impossible and then asking why some military personnel are so lazy when others are able to vote just fine!

XyloJW posted:

I just wanna chime in and say this is a super effective debate tactic: Give the opponent the total benefit of the doubt. "Let's take the worst-case scenario and multiply it by 100 times. Does that sound fair? Okay? Alright, it still wouldn't matter. You're wasting my tax dollars, and inflating the size of the government."

I got a "Well, I still think you're wrong," but the tone was such that I knew he'd not be bringing up that argument again. Hopefully he thought about it later.

Agreed; even when you inflate the numbers by a huge amount they still have negligible impact on the election. Plus the idea of millions of people all over the country voting multiple times to make sure their candidate of choice wins is silly; but that's what it would take to impact the Presidential race. And it's even sillier when you realize they'd all have to vote for the same guy for it to matter.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

XyloJW posted:

This argument is a good one, but they conceive of voter ID as a matter of great moral urgency. It isn't that it's a real problem, but that the very idea of fraudulent voting is kind of morally repugnant. And it is. But there is a practical problem, in that voting fraud is so ridiculously rare that it doesn't make sense to pass laws, since the chance that even 100 fraudulent votes in a state will determine an election is so slim that it's really not worth it. However, Republicans want to focus on the moral case (I'm taking the rhetoric seriously here, since we know it's about winning elections, but the ordinary Republican-on-the-street doesn't believe that it's rooted in anything but good intentions) because in that they are correct: fraudulent voting is wrong. Still, it doesn't make a case for highly restrictive voter ID laws given the practical worries. And the irony here is that Republicans always toot their own horns about how they're the practical party, not the moralizing party.

Of course, last time I argued all of this with a Republican who loved Rush Limbaugh, he got pissed at my elitist argument strategy and how I'm just trying to confuse him...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

This argument is a good one, but they conceive of voter ID as a matter of great moral urgency. It isn't that it's a real problem, but that the very idea of fraudulent voting is kind of morally repugnant. And it is. But there is a practical problem, in that voting fraud is so ridiculously rare that it doesn't make sense to pass laws, since the chance that even 100 fraudulent votes in a state will determine an election is so slim that it's really not worth it. However, Republicans want to focus on the moral case (I'm taking the rhetoric seriously here, since we know it's about winning elections, but the ordinary Republican-on-the-street doesn't believe that it's rooted in anything but good intentions) because in that they are correct: fraudulent voting is wrong. Still, it doesn't make a case for highly restrictive voter ID laws given the practical worries. And the irony here is that Republicans always toot their own horns about how they're the practical party, not the moralizing party.

Of course, last time I argued all of this with a Republican who loved Rush Limbaugh, he got pissed at my elitist argument strategy and how I'm just trying to confuse him...

You can test the moral boundaries then. It's important to highlight that there's no evidence basis first, then move on to any moral underpinning and address that on it's own terms. If fraudulent voting is really a problem, and in-person voter fraud is the real issue, you know what works great? If you ink people's fingers after they vote. If we're going to waste money to stop a problem that isn't happening, let's do it in a way that doesn't potentially disenfranchise thousands of voters. Or we could make the crime of voter impersonation punishable by death. Is that cruel and unusual? Who cares, we're already potentially throwing out voting rights portions of the Constitution with requiring voter ID, so why not? I bet it'd discourage a lot of potential fraud too. Still not enough? We've got technology now, we could put a chip in every person and then track where they go; if you go to two polling places on election day you get stripped of citizenship and deported, permanently.

Obviously the point of these examples is that calling it a moral problem is a dodge to avoid the fact that everyone agrees with preventing voter fraud in principle. The question is how you do it and how big a problem it is, and saying one fraudulent vote is too much is missing the point. Voter disenfranchisement is every bit as bad as fraudulent votes are, so any solution to fraudulent voting should, at a bare minimum, not risk disenfranchising more voters than it prevents fraudulent votes. Especially when the prevalence of fraudulent voting is so extraordinarily low, which we've already established.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 2, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Goatman Sacks posted:

There was some fucker on NPR last night who was saying that they don't have to prove voter fraud exists to have these laws, because (mostly southern)states have a vested interest in making sure voters are confident in fair elections. Sadly, the host didn't say "counterpoint: the last 200 years"

The other problem is that the burden of proof should pretty clearly be on those advocating for such a program. Aside from the fact that changes from the status quo should always have the burden of proof (thanks high school debate! :v:), we should always have an absurdly strong preference for protecting affirmative rights - our strong preference for "freedom from detainment" is why the burden of proof for prosecutors is so high. We should be similarly fanatical about protecting the right to vote.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

You can test the moral boundaries then. It's important to highlight that there's no evidence basis first, then move on to any moral underpinning and address that on it's own terms. If fraudulent voting is really a problem, and in-person voter fraud is the real issue, you know what works great? If you ink people's fingers after they vote. If we're going to waste money to stop a problem that isn't happening, let's do it in a way that doesn't potentially disenfranchise thousands of voters. Or we could make the crime of voter impersonation punishable by death. Is that cruel and unusual? Who cares, we're already potentially throwing out voting rights portions of the Constitution with requiring voter ID, so why not? I bet it'd discourage a lot of potential fraud too. Still not enough? We've got technology now, we could put a chip in every person and then track where they go; if you go to two polling places on election day you get stripped of citizenship and deported, permanently.

Wow, yeah, that's something else I've done. Take them to their logical end, and confront them with it. The bit about chipping people is great, because they're also panicky about big government monitoring their every step.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mo_Steel posted:

Obviously the point of these examples is that calling it a moral problem is a dodge to avoid the fact that everyone agrees with preventing voter fraud in principle. The question is how you do it and how big a problem it is, and saying one fraudulent vote is too much is missing the point. Voter disenfranchisement is every bit as bad as fraudulent votes are, so any solution to fraudulent voting should, at a bare minimum, not risk disenfranchising more voters than it prevents fraudulent votes. Especially when the prevalence of fraudulent voting is so extraordinarily low, which we've already established.
Maybe it's because I put on my ethics teacher hat that people turn off at this point, but yeah, I do this with people I'm debating as well as my students. It works for teaching, but people don't always like it and think you're condescending to them. Maybe I just sound condescending?

No, wait, it's that people don't like being challenged in substantive ways! I work as a professional philosopher so my standards are different!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Maybe it's because I put on my ethics teacher hat that people turn off at this point, but yeah, I do this with people I'm debating as well as my students. It works for teaching, but people don't always like it and think you're condescending to them. Maybe I just sound condescending?

No, wait, it's that people don't like being challenged in substantive ways! I work as a professional philosopher so my standards are different!

I suppose if you wanted to be particularly careful about not coming off as condescending you could ask them to air their own views out instead of doing it yourself through somewhat more absurd examples to illustrate the weak moral / ethical argument at play:

"In order to prevent minimal potential fraud in the form of voter impersonation, how many people do you believe is an acceptable number to potentially disenfranchise of their right to vote?"

You can even give your own view before they respond, so that they can see an example of the sort of feedback you're requesting while you also make your position clear.

As an aside, I don't actually think the ink finger thing is absurd; in fact it seems a hell of a lot more reasonable and acceptable than requiring everyone to get ID to vote. You can steal an ID; chances are good most people aren't going to cut their own fingers off just to vote a second time and make absolutely no difference in the overall vote. As I mentioned above, if we're going to waste money fixing part of the voting system that isn't broken, may as well do it so it doesn't remove the rights of citizens to vote.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Boxman posted:

The other problem is that the burden of proof should pretty clearly be on those advocating for such a program. Aside from the fact that changes from the status quo should always have the burden of proof (thanks high school debate! :v:), we should always have an absurdly strong preference for protecting affirmative rights - our strong preference for "freedom from detainment" is why the burden of proof for prosecutors is so high. We should be similarly fanatical about protecting the right to vote.

They claim it is impossible to prove, because there is no system set up for detecting such votes.

You don't NEED such a system to detect them...you could just take a sample of polling-place sign-ins (don't even need to look at the ballot) and go and check up on those people.

Mo_Steel posted:

As I mentioned above, if we're going to waste money fixing part of the voting system that isn't broken, may as well do it so it doesn't remove the rights of citizens to vote.

Then what would be the point?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

quote:

We can end this in November……
OBAMA'S DAUGHTERS ARE 'SENIOR STAFFERS' ?

And the administration had to be sued to get this through the Freedom of Information Act. (FOIA)
Way to go Judicial Watch ! SENIOR STAFFERS ?

Michelle Obama Listed Daughters As “Senior Staffers” To Justify Expensive African Vacation and Safari October 5, 2011 The most accountable administration:

Judicial Watch said the U.S. Air Force provided a C-32 ( a Boeing 757) modified by the military for the purpose of flying big-wigs around the world – to fly the First Lady and her entourage to and from Africa at a cost of $424,142.00. Another $928.44 was listed as “bulk food” costs of providing 192 on-board meals for the 21 people who made the trip. The Obama daughters were listed on the manifest as “senior staff.”

“This trip was as much an opportunity for the Obama family to go on a safari as it was a trip to conduct government business,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “This junket wasted tax dollars and the resources of our overextended military. No wonder we had to sue to pry loose this information .” This story is worthy of our attention. The nation is suffering with the economy sputtering, the national debt soaring and Obama’s economic rescue policies not only failing but actively making things worse.

Meanwhile, the First Lady justifies an expensive trip to Africa to take a vacation and safari with her daughters by saying it’s “official business” and even going so far as to list her children as “staffers.” The level of arrogance and dishonesty on display here is nothing short of shocking. But, er, “hope for change” and “yes we can .”

It’s a true story. Check out these links ...

http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-...trip-to-africa/

Just one more insult that can be corrected on Nov 6, 2012. Please pass this on. The mainstream media won't do it. It's up to us

Got this email from my boss.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mo_Steel posted:

I suppose if you wanted to be particularly careful about not coming off as condescending you could ask them to air their own views out instead of doing it yourself through somewhat more absurd examples to illustrate the weak moral / ethical argument at play:
[snip]
I definitely agree with this. Taking someone's argument to its "logical conclusion" often seems really hostile. It's like saying you're for abortions because children could be born with certain birth defects that would lower their quality of life to a point that there's just no point (You may be for abortions under any circumstances, this is just assuming you needed to justify it) and the person immediately jumps down your throat saying you're for eugenics because where does one draw the line at birth defects?

Let them set the level first, if its as outrageous as you say it should be easy to present the math.

Tomahawk posted:

Got this email from my boss.

Do they really think the presidential family wouldn't be allowed to come along regardless?

Edit: Also the fact that this is a level of arrogance and dishonesty is shocking is just adorable :allears:

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 3, 2012

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to football season, my fb has been a lot calmer. But these popped up today.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Wow, it's like they've all gone full :freep: and just accept that somehow Obama being muted makes Romney win because reasons.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

StealthArcher posted:

Wow, it's like they've all gone full :freep: and just accept that somehow Obama being muted makes Romney win because reasons.
They think it's clever, probably. "Heh, a giant button to shut up n0bama!*"

* button not compatible with any television

Frankly I want to win it and rewire it to say "there are white folks, and there are ignorant motherfuckers like you."

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

People are actually taking pride in refusing to hear the opposing argument?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Haha. That's like how in Kennedy vs. Nixon, people who watched TV said Kennedy won, but people who listened to it on the radio tended to believe Nixon won because they didnt see him standing there all nervous and just heard the arguments.

Except completely the opposite and insane. "If I don't have to listen to the arguments then I can base it on the truth and not liberal facts or something".

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Nope! Sorry, you can't get to 47% without including the disabled. Romney called them moochers. You can try to say he didn't mean it, but that's what he said. Deal with it.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

Nope! Sorry, you can't get to 47% without including the disabled. Romney called them moochers. You can try to say he didn't mean it, but that's what he said. Deal with it.

Yeah, if you're going to throw around that 47% number, then you have to accept the fact it includes the disabled, elderly, working class families, and ARE TROOPS. 47% of the country is not made up of welfare queens.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:Fwd ReReReReRe posted:

The sheer #s alone are telling and speak volumes!!!!!!!!!
See the last 2 paras if nothing else
jc
WAKE UP AMERICA! LIFE WILL SOON NOT BE AS WE KNOW IT TODAY IF WE DON’T STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR IT. WE HAVE TO VOTE THIS MAN OUT OF OFFICE. IF YOU ARE OFFENDED, I’M SORRY, BUT THIS WILL EFFECT YOU TOO WHEN WE ARE NO LONGER A FREE NATION. THINK OF YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN AND HOW LIFE WILL BE FOR THEM. THEY WILL NEVER KNOW THE FREEDOM YOU AND I HAVE HAD.
Check it out for yourselves on “Truth or Fiction”. This is just a part of the list.

EXECUTIVE ORDERS ISSUED…
Teddy Roosevelt 3
Others to FDR NONE
FDR 11 in 16 years
Truman 5 in 7 years
Ike 2 in 8 years
Kennedy 4 in 3 years
LBJ 4 in 5 years
Nixon 1 in 6 years
Ford 3 in 2 years
Carter 3 in 4 years
Reagan 5 in 8 years
Bush 3 in 4 years
Clinton 15 in 8 years
George W. Bush 62 in 8 years
Obama 923 in 3 1/2 years!

Subject: Fw: Executive Orders .... where's the media?

If you don't get the implications you're not paying attention. How many warnings do you need?

Scary !
923 Executive Orders in 40 Months
During my lifetime, All Presidents have issued Executive Orders, for reasons that vary, some more than others.

When a President issued as many as 30 Ex. Orders during a term in Office, people thought there was something Amiss.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT 923 EX. ORDERS IN ONE PART OF ONE TERM ?????? YES, THERE IS A REASON.
IT IS THAT THE PRESIDENT IS DETERMINED TO TAKE CONTROL AWAY FROM THE HOUSE AND THE SENATE.

Even some Democrats in the House have turned on him, plus a very small number of Democrat Senators question him.

HE SHOULD BE QUESTIONED. WHAT IS HE REALLY TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH ????

DOES THIS SCARE YOU AS MUCH AS IT DOES ME?

Not really surprising that he appointed "Czars" to be in charge of everything.
Emperor Obama ?
Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

....THIS IS NOT FUNNY, AND IF YOU VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN, YOU CAN EXPECT MORE!

Remember what he told Russia 's Putin: "I'll be more flexible after I'm re-elected".

THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION: Obama has signed 923 Executive Orders in 40 months!
What did Congress do in those 40 months? (The House - considerable. The Senate -nothing, not even a budget nor allowing any House bill to be considered.) A whole new order must prevail in Wash. DC as a result of this next election! Now look at these:

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 10990 allows the government to take over all modes of transportation and control of highways and seaports.
-EXECUTIVE ORDER 10995 allows the government to seize and control the communication media.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 10997 allows the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 10998 allows the government to take over all food resources and farms.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11001 allows the government to take over all health, education and welfare functions.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11002 designates the registration of all persons. Postmaster General to operate a national registration

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11003 allows the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be abandoned, and establish new locations for populations.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11005 allows the government to take over railroads, inland waterways and public storage facilities.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issued over a fifteen year period.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11051 specifies the responsibility of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put all Executive Orders into effect in times of increased international tensions and economic or financial crisis.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.

-EXECUTIVE ORDER 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution, of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit and the flow of money in U.S. financial institution in any undefined national emergency. It also provides that when a state of emergency is declared by the President, Congress cannot review the action for six months.

Feel free to verify the "executive orders" at will... and these are just the major ones I'm sure you've all heard the tale of the "Frog in the Pot"... you all comfortable???
Watch Obama's actions, not his words! By his actions he will show you where America is headed.

. Just this week, Obama has issued a new executive order that seeks to "harmonize" U.S. economic regulations with the rest of the world. This new executive order is yet another incremental step that is pushing us closer to a North American Union and a one world economic system.

Unfortunately, most Americans have absolutely no idea what is happening. The American people need to understand that Barack Obama is constantly looking for ways to integrate the United States more deeply with the rest of the world. The globalization of the world economy has accelerated under Obama, and this latest executive order represents a fundamental change in U.S. economic policy. Now federal regulators will be required to "harmonize" their work with the international community.

THIS IS DIFFICULT TO BELIEVE??
THEN PROVE TO YOURSELF IT'S WRONG.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry - 1736-1799

Didn't see this posted here yet. I don't even know where to begin here- the entire thing is predicated on fictitious information that can be proven wrong with the laziest of Google searches and as well invites this by using insanely fake-sounding statistics. It attributes ExO's that are decades old to Obama, uses a hilariously huge made-up number for Obama's supposed count (923) and all of the other counts listed are as also just pulled out of the writer's rear end. The whole "Obama is an arrogant power hungry emperor" narrative is pretty hilarious and people believe it. (Well there was that business with NDAA, which is pretty serious, but I almost never hear that mentioned by these people.)

quote:

What did Congress do in those 40 months? (The House - considerable. The Senate -nothing, not even a budget nor allowing any House bill to be considered.)

Apparently Congress is just a powerhouse of effective legislation and totally not obstructionist whatsoever! Yep.

quote:

THIS IS DIFFICULT TO BELIEVE??
THEN PROVE TO YOURSELF IT'S WRONG.

YES IT IS
EGGING ME ON TO FACT CHECK YOUR BULLSHIT IS ALSO VERY BALLSY

EDIT:
Just so nobody has to go out and find the actual numbers (and as a way of apologizing for a wall o' crazy text) here are the actual counts for presidential executive orders from The American Presidency Project:

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 3, 2012

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Of course Executive Orders start at 10000. Where else would they start?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
holy poo poo, Virginia man kills family and himself over fear Obama would be re-elected

quote:

But more recently, Maggie said, Peterson was behaving erratically, sending paranoid political emails daily to family and friends.

“They were very well off people and they saved a lot of money,” she said about the Petersons. “He couldn’t understand how the government could be so irresponsible and he thought it would be on the backs of his boys.”

Just remember guys, some people take these forwarded emails as a life or death matter

Laminator fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

czar, noun \ˈzär, ˈ(t)sär\
1. an evil mini-emperor appointed by Barack Hussein Obama to secretly convert the United States to Communism
2. absolutely nothing else

Origin: New Latin czar, from Russian tsar', from Old Russian tsĭsarĭ
First Known Use: 2008

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Anybody else been seeing the "George Soros owns the company that will count the votes" thing going around? I just saw this posted on my wall, cited from a pro-Bashar al Assad blog, no less. Snopes says it's bullshit and google just leads to right-wing blogs, of course. It's utterly amazing that they have the gall to make this accusation after Diebold.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Presidency Project[/url]:

The only president who issued no executive orders:

William Henry Harrison Total 0

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kat R. Waulin posted:

Thanks to football season, my fb has been a lot calmer. But these popped up today.

In a just world, the man (obviously a man) who posted this would never be allowed to have sex with any woman except for the express purpose of procreation.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sub-Actuality posted:

czar, noun \ˈzär, ˈ(t)sär\
1. an evil mini-emperor appointed by Barack Hussein Obama to secretly convert the United States to Communism
2. absolutely nothing else

Origin: New Latin czar, from Russian tsar', from Old Russian tsĭsarĭ
First Known Use: 2008

The only reason its come back into use is to try and draw some insidious connection between the Democratic party and Stalinism. I honestly can't believe people still buy all that McCarthy "Commies EVERYWHERE!!" crap. The cold war apparently really wrecked our political sensibilities or something. Is there a fringe element in Russia that runs around all like goddamn capitalism ruins everything american pigs wharrrrrgbl :arghfist::ussr: just out of pure residual post WWII-era misplaced nationalism?

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

quote:

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry - 1736-1799

This bit was also highly suspicious because Patrick Henry was opposed to the Constitution. Looked it up and whaddaya know:

quote:

As quoted in The Best Liberal Quotes Ever : Why the Left is Right (2004) by William P. Martin. Though widely attributed to Henry, this statement has not been sourced to any document before the 1990s and appears to be at odds with his beliefs as a strong opponent of the adoption of the US Constitution.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

In a just world, the man (obviously a man) who posted this would never be allowed to have sex with any woman except for the express purpose of procreation.

Why make an exception?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

The only reason its come back into use is to try and draw some insidious connection between the Democratic party and Stalinism. I honestly can't believe people still buy all that McCarthy "Commies EVERYWHERE!!" crap. The cold war apparently really wrecked our political sensibilities or something. Is there a fringe element in Russia that runs around all like goddamn capitalism ruins everything american pigs wharrrrrgbl :arghfist::ussr: just out of pure residual post WWII-era misplaced nationalism?

It's of course particularly hilarious because the communists and the czars were opponents.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XyloJW posted:

It's of course particularly hilarious because the communists and the czars were opponents.

Clearly you don't know that Russia has always been a dirty commie country, Comrade.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Monkey Fracas posted:

Given what happened to their country in the 90s, you could probably forgive Russians for thinking 'goddamn capitalism ruins everything'.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

Given what happened to their country in the 90s, you could probably forgive Russians for thinking 'goddamn capitalism ruins everything'.

Well, years of living off the government's Socialist-teet made most Russians too lazy for Free Market Capitalism. If they were actually ambitious they'd have more successful citizens.

/\ Crazy person's justification of unrestricted Capitalism /\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet. I don't even know where to begin here- the entire thing is predicated on fictitious information that can be proven wrong with the laziest of Google searches and as well invites this by using insanely fake-sounding statistics. It attributes ExO's that are decades old to Obama, uses a hilariously huge made-up number for Obama's supposed count (923) and all of the other counts listed are as also just pulled out of the writer's rear end. The whole "Obama is an arrogant power hungry emperor" narrative is pretty hilarious and people believe it. (Well there was that business with NDAA, which is pretty serious, but I almost never hear that mentioned by these people.)

Apparently Congress is just a powerhouse of effective legislation and totally not obstructionist whatsoever! Yep.

YES IT IS
EGGING ME ON TO FACT CHECK YOUR BULLSHIT IS ALSO VERY BALLSY

EDIT:
Just so nobody has to go out and find the actual numbers (and as a way of apologizing for a wall o' crazy text) here are the actual counts for presidential executive orders from The American Presidency Project:

Excellent work, and more importantly, shouldn't the content be more important than sheer numbers? I mean, wasn't Japanese internment during WWII accomplished through an executive order?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

But wouldn't the women who have sex with him for procreative purposes be arrested for rape because it's against the law to have sex with the severely retarded?

I like Sandra Fluke and hate the vitriol spewed at her but it's actually a pretty good litmus test to see whether someone is a stupid rear end in a top hat or not. You'd have to be a huge moron and/or intentionally dishonest to insult Sandra Fluke in the form of slut shaming and insinuating she's promiscuous, as her testimony was about the medical benefits of oral contraceptives for other women she knows (including her lesbian classmate who lost an ovary to cysts that would have been treated/prevented by affordable birth control), not Fluke herself. The other great thing about it was Rush Limbaugh utterly embarrassing himself by showing he knows absolutely nothing about oral contraceptives.