Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

been on a dq kick while home for the last week.

blazed through dq 1 + 2 & 3 snes ports, they were all pretty solid.

it was my first time finishing 2 and goddamn did that game want you to grind at the end. made is all the way through the cave to rhone without any issues fight wise then my first battle outside the shrine i got wiped in 2 turns.

i also learned of the ps2 remake of 5 recently and I just started getting the family back together in that. really enjoying this remake, it looks great. one of the first enemies i fought was a cicada mole and when it defended it ducked its head down and covered it with it's claws. :kimchi:

e: welcome to page 420

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I've been playing dq11 and man do I wish the developers of these games would rethink their approach to music. It's a 100+ hour game, and you spend way more than half of it cycling through about four main short-looping songs (I'm thinking of the overworld theme, the battle theme, the camp theme, and the handful of samey variations of the town theme). The whole routine where you spend about 20 seconds in the overworld, get into a fight for about 20 seconds, go back to the overworld for another 20 seconds until the next fight, &c., with the music starting over for each of them, is just blah. The orchestral mod made the music itself much nicer, but the repetition is mind-numbing, and the tunes haven't changed substantially since the NES days.

Apart from that, the game is very pretty and fun to play. I just had to get that jrpg music rant off my chest.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

baram. posted:

i also learned of the ps2 remake of 5 recently and I just started getting the family back together in that. really enjoying this remake, it looks great. one of the first enemies i fought was a cicada mole and when it defended it ducked its head down and covered it with it's claws. :kimchi:

e: welcome to page 420

:420:

I'm playing this too, and love it! Man it looks great scaled up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

baram. posted:

You can sequence break the hell out of the PS2 remake using the open CD tray method too, iirc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuros posted:

Don't you worry, the outfits only get sexier.

I only saw it happening in 8 but I miss people commenting on changing costumes.

Qylvaran posted:

I've been playing dq11 and man do I wish the developers of these games would rethink their approach to music. It's a 100+ hour game, and you spend way more than half of it cycling through about four main short-looping songs (I'm thinking of the overworld theme, the battle theme, the camp theme, and the handful of samey variations of the town theme). The whole routine where you spend about 20 seconds in the overworld, get into a fight for about 20 seconds, go back to the overworld for another 20 seconds until the next fight, &c., with the music starting over for each of them, is just blah. The orchestral mod made the music itself much nicer, but the repetition is mind-numbing, and the tunes haven't changed substantially since the NES days.

Apart from that, the game is very pretty and fun to play. I just had to get that jrpg music rant off my chest.

Sadly good ideas don't get stolen from games all the time unless they sell megagangbusters.

Otherwise everyone would take The World Ends with You's approach to soundtracks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Qylvaran posted:

Yeah, my one real complaint about the game is the music. It re-uses a bunch of tunes from older DQ games (most notably 3, 4, and 8 IIRC) and that's fine, but the music designed for DQ11 itself is very bland and forgettable. I played the PS4 version, so I had no access to the orchestral score, but I can't imagine it altering my opinion of the game's music in any significant way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite the controversy about dq music being made by a racist piece of poo poo, no one actually plays dq for its soundtrack.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

despite the controversy about dq music being made by a racist piece of poo poo, no one actually plays dq for its soundtrack.

Despite the music not being the reason people play DQ games, it should have more good songs.

Music's the part that even bad games get right! See: the majority of the 3D sonic games.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The racism golem that currently makes Dragon Quest music is 89 years old and should have retired a solid fifteen years ago. Making more new music is probably beyond his current energy levels.

I look forward to the time when Sugiyama can finally be replaced.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If dq11 had good music it would be an illegally good video game, so astoundingly perfect that everyone in the industry making JRPGs would have to retire. So they had to take the hit somewhere

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

DQ8 had an amazing soundtrack.

And yeah DQ11's wasn't great. A bunch of it is used in the mobile DQ game and that game has the same problem. There are only like 3 total songs in the whole game and they're boring and repetitive.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Elephant Ambush posted:

DQ8 had an amazing soundtrack.

I like that DQ11 switch lets you change specifically the awful overworld music to DQ8’s

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ROFL Octopus posted:

I like that DQ11 switch lets you change specifically the awful overworld music to DQ8’s

Oh wow, really? That's another mark in the "buy" column for me. DQ8 has easily one of the best world map themes. I played it on PC at launch so I wasn't quick to pick up the Switch version but I may have to put it on my quarantine list now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The way I did it was I used the DQ8 overworld theme for Act 2 of the game. It felt appropriate.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I've pumped all these points into Greatswords to get Sword Dance and I'm suddenly struck with the realization that it might not even be a good use of my resources. I did fine without it my first time around, is it really worth it?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I've pumped all these points into Greatswords to get Sword Dance and I'm suddenly struck with the realization that it might not even be a good use of my resources. I did fine without it my first time around, is it really worth it?

Sword Dance is pretty rad against single targets since it’s about the same strength as Unbridled Blade (which I think beats out Falcon Slash by a lot) but significantly cheaper iirc but it’s definitely not something to specifically gun for at the expense of Hero’s other good poo poo like Omniheal.

You can basically respec at any time though so it’s hardly a long-term commitment anyway

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You should be able to cheat and get back a bunch of those points, though. Respec hero's greatswords now that you have swordmastery unlocked and then just purchase the one greatsword panel you need to get Sword Dance; you can access it as long as you have the Swordmastery panel just above it purchased, IIRC.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

These games typically aren’t really my thing, but I just bought Dragon Quest XI for the switch because I need something really simple and wholesome to take me away from things.

At the same time, I’ve read that this game is really, really easy on the default settings and while I’m looking for a relaxing experience, I prefer difficult games and I’m worried I’ll get bored fast if I can just hold down attack and none of my skill choices ever really matter. How is the stronger monsters setting? As someone who doesn’t know the game, if I turn that on, along with the anti-grinding setting, will I be in for a more challenging experience, or just a more frustrating one?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Heithinn Grasida posted:

These games typically aren’t really my thing, but I just bought Dragon Quest XI for the switch because I need something really simple and wholesome to take me away from things.

At the same time, I’ve read that this game is really, really easy on the default settings and while I’m looking for a relaxing experience, I prefer difficult games and I’m worried I’ll get bored fast if I can just hold down attack and none of my skill choices ever really matter. How is the stronger monsters setting? As someone who doesn’t know the game, if I turn that on, along with the anti-grinding setting, will I be in for a more challenging experience, or just a more frustrating one?

I’d personally strongly recommend Strong Monsters, and maaaybe lowered XP from weak monsters. Just a reminder that once a game file has started you can turn off Draconian Settings at any Church but you can only turn them on right as you start.

The big thing with Strong Monsters is that you pretty much have to use self buffs and debuffs on every fight properly, which some find tedious.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 3, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just do it on default. Some of the encounters are hard enough so as if. You can't just select fight every time, not by a long shot.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Just do it on default. Some of the encounters are hard enough so as if. You can't just select fight every time, not by a long shot.

Seconding this. You can't just beat the game by mashing attack.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can turn off the extra difficulty at any time but you can't turn it on, might as well start with whichever ones sound interesting and disable them if you aren't having fun.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah the only thing I’d really do if you’re concerned about difficulty without DQ experience is lower xp from weak monsters. Just because without it, if you have completionist instincts, some of the more RNG quests and item drops and stuff that you’ll hunt for can cause your levels to spike up and then you have a long stretch of “this is too easy” before the difficulty stair steps again.

But yeah, lower xp and strong monsters are the only ones I’d even consider for a first playthrough. All of the others really do actually interfere with the core game flow rather than just cranking up/down numbers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

:420: As a wild thought, if you're finding yourself coasting through the game at any point, why not simply put on early game equipment to make it hard again?

Also imagine if this game had music a quarter as good as Undertale's.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

play with just stronger monsters imo.

my first playthrough i just went normal difficulty and i didn't have trouble with a boss until nearly the end of the second arc, which was kind of boring.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
nthing to at least turn on Stronger Monsters. It doesn't make any fight unfair, and at worst, you can just go find some metal enemies to gain a level or two.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Highly recommend at least Stronger Monsters

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I played on normal difficulty and just don't grind. You see people mention fighting things like the slayer of sands at 15-16 but I think I did it at 11-12 which meant no healmore or w/e it is Serena gets in the mid-teens to help make the fight better. :shrug:

RareAcumen posted:

:420: As a wild thought, if you're finding yourself coasting through the game at any point, why not simply put on early game equipment to make it hard again?

Also imagine if this game had music a quarter as good as Undertale's.

*Sylvando swaggers out as MEGALOVANIA begins playing*

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Harder Monsters is rough early on and then smooths out, though I did have to do some Electro Light therapy to get past Red Orb Shark Man Whose Name I Cannot Remember.

Conversely, I just fought Gyldygga and had barely any trouble.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Thanks for all the replies! I think I’ll start with stronger monsters only. Higher difficulty is typically better for me until it starts to demand lots of grinding, immersion-breaking exploitative play or heavy reliance on good luck from the rng. I’ve seen replies saying the easiness of default is not so bad, but nobody has said the difficulty of stronger monsters is unacceptably tedious. If it turns out to be really frustrating and hard, I’ll just turn it off.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Something to keep in mind is that getting a Game Over halves your current unbanked gold but doesn't otherwise set you back in any progress you made, so don't be afraid or discouraged if that happens early.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Thanks for all the replies! I think I’ll start with stronger monsters only. Higher difficulty is typically better for me until it starts to demand lots of grinding, immersion-breaking exploitative play or heavy reliance on good luck from the rng. I’ve seen replies saying the easiness of default is not so bad, but nobody has said the difficulty of stronger monsters is unacceptably tedious. If it turns out to be really frustrating and hard, I’ll just turn it off.

Yeah, this is only the case when you start to turn on things like Stronger Monsters + No XP from weaker + No Armor + No shopping

Stronger Monsters on its own is fine

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Speaking of Stronger Monsters, I was clearing out some Tickington quests and I completely beefed it to the second boss on the Pillar of Pegasus (DQ6, I think?). What level should I be at to deal with it?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Not sure if there's a separate dragon quest builders 2 thread I should be posting in, or if I'm the only person playing this at the moment, but if these loving miners ask me to build them a third bar I'm going to just leave the island and never come back. They can be eaten by hagron and they'll deserve it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the good news is that there's only three bars.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Getta loada this guy, real mad about the rule of threes over here.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I will say, regarding that chapter, the leadup and execution of the pun is the absolute best.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I actually had a full on forehead smack followed by a resigned "for fucks sake" when they decided that building a third bar was the only sensible solution to the dancing girl turned to stone problem. I just want to go home and work on my grand staircase and floating island waterfalls. :mad:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

If you don't play a lot of DQ games, I think it will be plenty challenging enough for you on default settings. Provided you don't do a lot of grinding that is, which I don't feel is a requirement in any of the most recent DQ remakes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I played with stronger monsters + no XP from weak monsters. It's honestly not that hard. The only thing that was really a problem was the superbosses at the end of the game. I'd suggest starting with both turned on. You can always just turn off no XP later if you're having trouble. You can always turn them off if it's too hard, you can't turn them on if it's too easy.