Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Disappointing but Adam Scott is the star so they locked down on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scott posted this in the Reddit thread regarding why he did this and what prompted him to do it. Seems like his head is in the right place.

Scott Aukerman posted:

A little background about how this all came about :

Last year, during the pandemic, when Shaun Diston and I did the TMNT show, I really enjoyed it, and wanted to sort of replicate the experience with other guests of the show. So basically I wanted to give them an opportunity to do their own shows, for good money, that could be "helped" by being under the CBB banner.

When my previous Earwolf contract wrapped up earlier in the year, I pitched as part of my new deal a separate "CBB Presents" show in addition to the regular CBB, but it started to get very complicated, as no one (including me) was sure we could sell ads for it. The great thing about being with a podcast network these days is, if you have the audience, you can get paid to do the show through ads. But with so many podcasts out there now, for new things, it can be very difficult to get that audience.

And so the various combos of Stitcher Premium/Ad supported were discussed, and we all tried to figure it out. But the more I talked to performers about it, people seemed to miss the freedom of just being able to put out things without pitching it, or worrying about windowing, and all the details involved in that. And since my previous deal had reverted all of the CBB masters back to me, I felt like this was a good time to leverage the popularity of those to start something that would give people freedom to do whatever they want.

When we discussed it, Colin and the good people at Earwolf were great about giving me an opportunity to both remain there for the weekly, ad-supported show, but also allow me to do these other things. And they've been great about reverting other people's masters back to them, especially for old shows that we put out back in the days when no one was selling ads, and we were all just goofing around and having fun.

So with the shows that are coming over, we're paying people to do them -- and paying them well, with incentives if they do GREAT. The CBB Presents episodes will give CBB performers an opportunity to do however many episodes they have the bandwidth for. Some people can't get it together to do more than one. And then there'll be other people who like to do something more regularly. Being under the CBB Presents banner means there can be variety for however many people feel like doing. And if they're popular enough, and people want to continue, maybe it spins off into their own regular show.

So that's what we're doing -- it's kind of a financial risk for me, since the CBB Archives were making a good amount of money being on Stitcher Preem, and we have no idea how many subs we'll get. But our hope is that enough people sign up that we can build a lot more content. I can tell you that if, Friday, our numbers go through the roof, I'll start immediately making calls to people to make more stuff. The idea is not that people subscribe and we sit back and count the money -- it's that the more people subscribe, the more stuff we make.

As far as what that means for you -- the concept of "CBB World" is basically things that have spun off or out of CBB. We're aiming for a more curated experience, so that you don't have to sift through a bunch of stuff to find or even hear about something. We can highlight it for you.

Does that mean that something like "Going Deep" couldn't be on because the character didn't originate on CBB? No, I think people like the performers who are regularly on CBB so much that they would be able to do whatever they want and you'd be interested in at least checking it out.

Okay, so that's where we're at! Forgive me if I haven't explained it exactly right, but that's the gist (I'm currently typing in between things I'm doing for my other jobs).

GoutPatrol posted:

Disappointing but Adam Scott is the star so they locked down on that.

He also posted this about that Hollywood bigshot.

Scott Aukerman posted:

Adam has wanted the most people possible to be able to listen to the show (even though they don't), and that means a free, ad-supported show. He and I have turned down various offers of money to window it or have it be behind a paywall. And he can afford to do that because he's a hot Hollywood actor ("Torque"). So Earwolf has been nice about producing that show despite it not selling very many ads.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

okay the CBB presents sounds great, a space for people to try new ideas and if people like them spin them off into shows

also extremely excited to see that the mentality seems to be "just let Andy Daly do what he wants" because it's objectively the best decision here

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

X-O posted:

This clears it up. They have the rights for Season 1, and hopefully get Season 2 back soon.

Appreciate you digging that out.

Also, I always really like reading/listening to Business Scott, he gives a good interview about podcasting and when you read what he has to say it’s evident that most of Earwolfs success isn’t down to timing and luck, but a dude who really gets it. Dude works his rear end off and I hope this is a success for him and worth the risk. I’ll jump in at the high tier because I really like the potential for where this can go.

e: being back Carl Alarm.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

This all seems like a more complicated Patreon.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hard to make that work with the idea of "rotating group of people being paid piecemeal" - If anything, this is an extension of just going back to the original earwolf idea with Scott as producer/money man. The original Death Ray shows were also like that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It's somebody with the established audience and resources necessary to create their own subscription service and circumvent Patreon taking a cut.

Personally I think this sounds great, it's like a quarter an episode for a year's worth of content (assuming they actually stick to a 5 shows a week schedule.) Here's hoping Friday surpasses expectations and Scott can start making those calls to line up even more talent.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Does this mean Dalton can talk a little more about his monster hunting adventures?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JethroMcB posted:

It's somebody with the established audience and resources necessary to create their own subscription service and circumvent Patreon taking a cut.

Personally I think this sounds great, it's like a quarter an episode for a year's worth of content (assuming they actually stick to a 5 shows a week schedule.) Here's hoping Friday surpasses expectations and Scott can start making those calls to line up even more talent.

They're using Memberful. Patreon owns Memberful. It's the same thing Off Book uses. It just allows them to distribute and display it on their own site their own way without using the Patreon site which is pretty rigid in how it works and distributes content. I believe Big Grande uses it as well.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 29, 2021

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
“Torque”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay fine that sounds great I'll subscribe

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Congrats Earwolf thread for making it to 420 pages while Earwolf still technically exists :toot:

X-O posted:

They're using Memberful. Patreon owns Memberful.

So literally complicated Patreon. That'll teach me to opine on things I don't know all the details about :negative: (it won't)

whydirt posted:

“Torque”

I love my UTU2TM shirt, release more "Adam Scott of Torque Fame" merch

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Beginning every conversation with "are you familiar with the concept of the gray man?"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What Android app should I use to listen to stuff from CBB World? I've never subscribed to a Patreon before so I'm not super clear on how it all works.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Masterclass being back has increased talking about the Beetlejuice man, the byebye man, and the Slender man 50000%

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Consummate Professional posted:

Beginning every conversation with "are you familiar with the concept of the gray man?"

what really makes the bit work is everyone immediately knowing what it is

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Inspector 34 posted:

What Android app should I use to listen to stuff from CBB World? I've never subscribed to a Patreon before so I'm not super clear on how it all works.

Scott said there's gonna be traditional RSS feeds for them, so anything that uses them should be good. I use Podcast Addict myself and haven't really had any problems with it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Inspector 34 posted:

I use Pocket Casts which is nice if you listen to a lot of podcasts.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I use Pocket Casts which is nice if you listen to a lot of podcasts.

same, have for years so not sure if there's something better out there by now but it's extremely easy and functional

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I've been using BeyondPod for years at this point out of habit, but the native Google Podcasts app seems pretty well-reviewed. Just find the one that works best for you/has the UI that annoys you the least.

Consummate Professional posted:

And ending every conversation with an admonition to please use a box cutter to remove the shipping labels from your packages so your neighbors don't know you are prepared! Comfort and security are inversely proportional!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Awesome, thanks! I'll probably try out all those options and see what I like best.

edit: holy poo poo there's a google podcasts app? And I've been loving around with Stitcher for however long? Goddamnit

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I haven't listened to Comedy Bang Bang in years but the network switch has me interested. What's the quality like these days? I dropped out around the time Hayes and Sean started doing promos, after deciding I'd rather listen to Hollywood Handbook with my limited podcast time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Been some really good episodes. Listen to #709 from June, it was the first episode back in the studio and the energy is off the wall.

They’ve done a really good job of constantly intertwining favorite old guests with new talent that then becomes favorites over the years.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

Been some really good episodes. Listen to #709 from June, it was the first episode back in the studio and the energy is off the wall.

They’ve done a really good job of constantly intertwining favorite old guests with new talent that then becomes favorites over the years.

thanks, i tried listening to the 600 minute anniversary episode when it came out and that was a mistake

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The past two years I've anticipated Threedom more than CBB, because then I get to listen to my favorite guests all the time - or in another way, imagine like you had the energy of the CBB best-of shows every week. If Threedom ends up on CBB world it would be a big reason for me to sign up.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I dip back into CBB again occasionally, and was enjoying some of the new guests for a while, but then reached a point where some of the new favorites started to feel stale too. I should probably give more guests whose names I don't recognize a shot, but at this point I just don't listen a whole lot and basically think once the magic's gone it's always going to fade again faster even if you do manage to recapture it for a bit.

As for Threedom, I liked it a lot for a while because of the whole All Star feeling to it, but by the end of the first season I'd pretty much had enough. I'd be excited if they went back on tour again, but mining their backstories or whatever just got boring after a while. I don't think hangout podcasts are all bad (I listen to TFO), but they can get pretty repetitive pretty quickly (which is also why I stopped listening to Carl Calls His Cousin).

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Threedom is my most anticipated podcast as well but it felt like the last season was getting a bit heavy on Instagram Roundup. My hopes for next season are that they're able to record together in person again, and that they stop talking about gnomes forever.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Inspector 34 posted:

Recommendations for iOS? Tried Pocket Cast, seems okayish. Google’s podcast app doesn’t have an iPad version for mysterious reasons, so that’s out.

I am very stupid and don’t know how to do a Patreon or an RSS or how any of this works, I just want to listen to the funny man.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

meet girls at the store posted:

Recommendations for iOS? Tried Pocket Cast, seems okayish. Google’s podcast app doesn’t have an iPad version for mysterious reasons, so that’s out.

I am very stupid and don’t know how to do a Patreon or an RSS or how any of this works, I just want to listen to the funny man.

I’ve been using Overcast for years now with no complaints. There’s an Add URL button that you paste the RSS link in and you’re done.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

meet girls at the store posted:

overcast is good

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cloks posted:

I haven't listened to Comedy Bang Bang in years but the network switch has me interested. What's the quality like these days? I dropped out around the time Hayes and Sean started doing promos, after deciding I'd rather listen to Hollywood Handbook with my limited podcast time.

I'd also recommend episode 703 from April. Langston Kerman, a good original PFT character, and a take on Trump that's actually both fresh and funny.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've only listened to the first 10 or so minutes of #709 but wow, I've missed this show.

Love calling January 6th an impromptu Mr. Show reunion.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Was it ever confirmed that was the Mr Show guy?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Elea posted:

I don't think there's ever been an official confirmation but if I was a semi-famous person and people thought it was me, I'd immediately be out there with an alibi and people confirming it wasn't me, instead of just being silent.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Snooze Cruise posted:

what really makes the bit work is everyone immediately knowing what it is

Every prewritten thing he starts rattling off for the grayman makes me laugh out loud . "Hair short, but not high and tight like military or law enforcement keeps"

Whenever I get a package from amazon, gotta admit, I think about cutting off the shipping labels so my neighbors don't know which suppliers I use.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think enough people who know Jay Johnston have either said it was him or declined to say it wasn't him that it can pretty much be assumed it was. Though I'm guessing it would have made the news somewhere if the FBI ever actually arrested him.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Elea posted:

Tim Heidecker said it was him but then deleted the tweet, a few others also confirmed it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jay-johnston-capitol-riots/

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I thought they got that guy on tape talking about how he claimed Mount Everest.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

The Senator Giroux posted:

I’ve been using Overcast for years now with no complaints. There’s an Add URL button that you paste the RSS link in and you’re done.

scary ghost dog posted:

overcast is good

Thank you! I hope it’s easy enough to figure out :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Overcast is legit a killer app for iOS