Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That seems like a great modpack, but I definitely don't think my mates would bite. I'm not even sure if we'll seriously get into it, we're mainly doing it just to have something to gently caress around on and have a good time with. Skyblock modpacks seem pretty hardcore and slow paced. I think a bunch of us ultimately just wanna build houses and have a somewhat Vanilla-esque experience. I mainly want a modpack that has a tonne of QOL features and isn't too balls-deep on the content, cause I have no idea how I'd even wrap my head around so many new systems, and the thought of sifting through a wiki isn't appealing. A QOL mod that I absolutely love is Treecapitator, which basically lets you chop one block of wood and the entire tree above that block is instantly destroyed (and drops onto the ground). It's also scaled so the bigger the tree, the longer it takes to chop one block, which makes it somewhat balanced. I just hate when there's a tonne of half-chopped trees all over the landscape, or floating leaves.

I've heard other people talk about these quest books that lead you deeper into the content, I like the sound of that. Does FTB Revelations have a quest book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Any pack with tinkers will have an axe that does exactly that. Plus hammers that mine 3x3, and the tools grow in strength as you use them (can apply modifiers, like looting, speed, silk touch).

Id still say blightfall/regrowth are great quest packs, though it took me 3 tries befoe i liked regrowth (then killed my map by building a village too close to my base, and the mod in there makes the villagers expand their village.....)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ixjuvin posted:

Anyone know why MSB3 would have a ton of trouble loading? It's using 100% of my CPU but loading extremely slowly. I just downloaded whatever version is available via the Twitch launcher.

e: it's mostly getting stuck on the ModelLoader: baking - stage, if that means anything

ee: this happens after like... half an hour

i had out of memory errors with it which needed 6GB RAM to run a slideshow:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i have already disabled mipmaps, while you slept

i removed the Fence Overhaul mod on a hunch and it seems to have done the trick; game now runs fine

give that a pop, see if it helps? just delete the .jar files, default path is \Users\YourNameHere\Documents\Curse\Minecraft\Instances\Modern Skyblock 3 Departed\mods

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

i had out of memory errors with it which needed 6GB RAM to run a slideshow:

i have already disabled mipmaps, while you slept

i removed the Fence Overhaul mod on a hunch and it seems to have done the trick; game now runs fine

give that a pop, see if it helps? just delete the .jar files, default path is \Users\YourNameHere\Documents\Curse\Minecraft\Instances\Modern Skyblock 3 Departed\mods

This also worked for me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Q8ee posted:

That seems like a great modpack, but I definitely don't think my mates would bite. I'm not even sure if we'll seriously get into it, we're mainly doing it just to have something to gently caress around on and have a good time with. Skyblock modpacks seem pretty hardcore and slow paced. I think a bunch of us ultimately just wanna build houses and have a somewhat Vanilla-esque experience. I mainly want a modpack that has a tonne of QOL features and isn't too balls-deep on the content, cause I have no idea how I'd even wrap my head around so many new systems, and the thought of sifting through a wiki isn't appealing. A QOL mod that I absolutely love is Treecapitator, which basically lets you chop one block of wood and the entire tree above that block is instantly destroyed (and drops onto the ground). It's also scaled so the bigger the tree, the longer it takes to chop one block, which makes it somewhat balanced. I just hate when there's a tonne of half-chopped trees all over the landscape, or floating leaves.

I've heard other people talk about these quest books that lead you deeper into the content, I like the sound of that. Does FTB Revelations have a quest book?

Skyblocks are truly awful, but unfortunately they represent the majority of packs that have quest books. You'll have to try out smaller, less popular modpacks to get quest lines without being a skyblock. And those can be kind of a crapshoot, there are hidden gems but (unsurprisingly) most suck. Looking for one that's basically vanilla+ will be a challenge.

The best solution for your little group might be to just throw together your own modpack with a bunch of QoL and decorative mods, and maybe some light tech.

If you want something to start with, here are some suggestions. Twitch launcher lets you easily assemble your own pack of mods and distribute it.

BetterBuildersWands
BetterFPS
BiomeBundle
Chisel
Chisel & bits
Chest Transporter
Cooking for Blockheads
Harvestcraft
Earthworks
Exchangers
Fast Leaf Decay
Inspirations
InvTweaks
Iron Chests
JEI (duh)
Malisis Doors
Natura
Quark
Recurrent Complex
Rustic
Storage Drawers
Tinkers Construct
Twilight Forest
Veinminer (like treecapitator, but not just for trees)

Those are all QoL, and light content additions mostly in a vanilla style, or big content additions in the case of Twilight Forest.

For some light tech I'd add in the Thermal Expansion family of mods. They're good and have a consistent set of rules and decent in-game documentation so they're easy to pick up. If you want magic, probably Botania, for similar reasons. If you want to go further in those directions there is of course a myriad of mods.

I would definitely recommend 1.12 over 1.7. It's newer and doesn't have quite the number of mods yet, but it runs way better and generally has more polished content on the mods that do exist.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Looks like the new MSB3 version fixes the steel bug.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

So I'm playing the new Forever Stranded Lost Souls modpack and I'm enjoying it. Never played with this combination of questing and level gating for using items, but I like it.

However my inventory is filling up with a bunch of higher level items I got from loot boxes and even quest rewards that I cannot use, place or even put into the weird chests you begin with because I need like 5 in mining and 4 in gathering or something. Cant craft a normal chest yet either

There something I can build early on that I can transfer these to? Or is there some easier way of getting exp or those Skill Point levels in the early game?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Project Ozone has a lot of not-THAT-skyblocky options too. Ice planet, plentiful sky islands so you at least have all the dirt you need, etc.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

TheDon01 posted:

So I'm playing the new Forever Stranded Lost Souls modpack and I'm enjoying it. Never played with this combination of questing and level gating for using items, but I like it.

However my inventory is filling up with a bunch of higher level items I got from loot boxes and even quest rewards that I cannot use, place or even put into the weird chests you begin with because I need like 5 in mining and 4 in gathering or something. Cant craft a normal chest yet either

There something I can build early on that I can transfer these to? Or is there some easier way of getting exp or those Skill Point levels in the early game?

You are definitely able to place them in the dumbchests even if it says you need a level requirement to use/place them.

What you should do, though, is very carefully kill stuff around you and put levels into Mining until you're able to mine coal. Mining is really the best way to get XP without building some sort of mobfarm. It doesn't matter if you need to void 99% of the coal you mine.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Heads up, if any of you are slamming your heads against the MSB3 wall: there's an issue with Astral Sorcery where you're unable to craft the resonating wand or luminous crafting table. In order to fix it, close the game, go into the Twitch launcher profile and unlock the pack in the pack options. Then, disable FastWorkbench. That mod stealthily replaces the vanilla crafting table with its own, rendering the weird "vanilla crafting table but with starlight being focused on it" crafting mechanic of Astral Sorcery unusable.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nice to see MSB guy is still checking stuff still works when he adds a bunch of mods for no reason. :rolleyes:

e: on the plus side, Immersive Engineering fixed the blast furnace issue.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 27, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I feel bad cause I'm playing FTB Revelations with some friends, and I've lost all motivation to continue playing. It just seems like such a slog, and things are a pain in the rear end to craft just for the sake of being a pain in the rear end.

It also doesn't help that ingame documentation is absolutely garbage, and some things are just impossible to figure out unless you wiki them, and even then there's a 50% chance the wiki page will just be blank.

The game is more of a grind rather than being enjoyable, but I'm forcing myself to play it because if I flake, I'll be leaving my mates a man down and taking from their enjoyment.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Revelation is intended to be normal 1.12 kitchen sink, so the vast majority of the recipes of the recipes haven't been tweaked at all save to fix the occasional conflict. So if it feels grindy, that's just how the mods you're progressing through were made. Which mods are feeling like that for you, out of curiousity?

1.12 Environmental Tech is pretty bad.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toadsmash posted:

1.12 Environmental Tech is pretty bad.

Would be almost reasonable if not for needing stupid Black Concrete and Light Green dye, in addition to the diamonds and whatnot.

And I would probably make the Tier 2 cost less of the Tier 1-exclusive mineral, Tier 3 cost less Tier 2, etc. You're almost post-scarcity on the non-diamond non-Litherite minerals by the time you can make Tier 2, let alone the higher ones. They're almost a little boring challenge mode, not for useful use.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Direwolf20 is better, if only because it has RFTools Dimensions. Need a ton of Draconium to progress? Just make a dimension out of it! By the time you run out of power for it, your inventory will be full of ore.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

Would be almost reasonable if not for needing stupid Black Concrete and Light Green dye, in addition to the diamonds and whatnot.

And I would probably make the Tier 2 cost less of the Tier 1-exclusive mineral, Tier 3 cost less Tier 2, etc. You're almost post-scarcity on the non-diamond non-Litherite minerals by the time you can make Tier 2, let alone the higher ones. They're almost a little boring challenge mode, not for useful use.

Black concrete becomes real easy if you have a block placer putting down the concrete dust beside some water, and then a block breaker collecting the result.

The 'each tier requiring a huge pile of the previous tier-only drop' is a massive pain in the rear end though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What would I be looking into if I needed to use a custom support mod I have written for a modpack in the Twitch launcher?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What would I be looking into if I needed to use a custom support mod I have written for a modpack in the Twitch launcher?

needs to be on curse or on the approved 3rd party mod list

Has anyone read through the 1.13 planned changes? Looks like they're fixing A LOT of stuff https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.13 and basically making crafttweaker obsolete

I'm hype

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The best and most important change is you can put safely chests next to each other now and not need to put empty space in between. I can't believe this took over 8 years.

Also items floating on water instead of sinking is pretty cool I guess.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

thenewupdate posted:

Blocks in the minecraft:water_hacked tag will render in water as if any non-filled space in the block model was water.
Finally, that looked so janky before.

Also 'damage' as a means of differentiating similar blocks is gone, different wools and trees get their own unique ID.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 4, 2018

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The wiki is so loving bad at organizing those pages, 9/10 people don't give a poo poo about under-the-hood stuff like that new coordinate modifier or NBT tags or whatever. Just tell me about how swimming works now or what tridents do!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

frenzy posted:

Has anyone read through the 1.13 planned changes? Looks like they're fixing A LOT of stuff https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.13 and basically making crafttweaker obsolete

I'm hype

definitely not gonna make craftweaker obsolete unless their recipe capabilities are incredible (they wont be)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh, Agricraft just dropped for 1.12.2 out of nowhere. I'd almost forgotten all about that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mm really looking forward to breeding up 10/10/10 crops of whatever again

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'll admit I liked the whole "crossbreed to make plants" aspect, but yeah the grind to 10/10/10 was annoying. I'm still debating if I want to get back into that or not.

At least it supports a bunch of other mods like IE, Botania, and Mystical out of the box.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'll admit I liked the whole "crossbreed to make plants" aspect, but yeah the grind to 10/10/10 was annoying. I'm still debating if I want to get back into that or not.

Hell nooooooooooo

Aren't you excited for every modpack thats into grindy poo poo (all of them) to put this mod front and center again???

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I'm just wondering if the mod author added in a creative block to insta-10/10/10 a seed or something.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

NBT Edit is your friend.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Ash Rose posted:

Finally, that looked so janky before.

Also 'damage' as a means of differentiating similar blocks is gone, different wools and trees get their own unique ID.

I guess this is going to destroy every mod, and leave a lot of mods stuck on 1.12?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean it shouldn't be a huge amount of effort to fix but it's still not ideal re: keeping mods going

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

iirc 1.12 and forge already has support for the new block state poo poo, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that mods are taking advantage of it

especially mods that are old code bases being ported to newer versions by fans

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There was definitely a console command you could just type in to get 10/10/10 seeds but it was pretty precise and I had to look it up somewhere.

code:
/give [username] [seed ID/name] [number of seeds to give] 0 {strength:10,gain:10,growth:10,analyzed:1}
What I usually did was make it so crops inherited the full stats of their parents, and that parents could be anything. So whenever I got a new seed by crossbreeding my maxed out plants, those seeds would be maxed, too. And if I got the seeds fresh (at 1/1/1), I could just make them spread adjacent to something that couldn't spread (like sugar cane next to dirt) and the new plant's offspring would inherit from the three 10/10/10 sugar cane plants and come out at like 9/8/9 or something after just one generation. Breeding up to 10/10/10 usually only takes two new growths, and with a watering can that can be like ten seconds.

Either way it's one of those things you never want to have to do twice, but the modmakers expect you to do with every new update, every new pack, and every new world.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Either way it's one of those things you never want to have to do twice, but the modmakers expect you to do with every new update, every new pack, and every new world.

I have similar thoughts about Thaumcraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I won't argue there, but at least Thaumcraft's trying to make the research more involved on its own, which is more than can be said for agricraft's moment to moment interactions of either wandering off and waiting or standing in place with a watering can.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was surprised to find my first trial of a 1.12.2 forge server fired right up without crapping on client-side mods. I had copied my mods folder wholesale without filtering it.

A bigger issue is how slow it all runs despite my computer being all of a year old.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Really not enjoying Sky Resources at all, it seems very disjointed and not intuitive at all.

I suppose this will be "mincraftmods.txt" but there's an awful lot of busy work and little to no documentation at all about how to build the multiblock structures or what you can use to drop things in (like how you can use a trapdoor on the wood one, but not the stone one and I have no idea what you use for the top block on an iron one??).

I prefer ex-nhilo I think.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I went away from minecraft for a while and now that I started playing again Ive noticed a huge lack of ingame explaination or documentation or even an external wiki for a lot of important mods.

Ill be damned if im gonna watch 40 hours of some dudes LP so I know how all the dumb parts interact.

Immersive engineering has a nice ingame book, why cant they all be like that. Astral sorcery seems good too but Ive barely touched it sofar.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Astral Sorcery's book is good, although I think some of the entries can be a bit vague, since it's written in the style of a research journal. That said, most of the mod is pretty straightforward. Botania's book is top-notch, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

Really not enjoying Sky Resources at all, it seems very disjointed and not intuitive at all.

I suppose this will be "mincraftmods.txt" but there's an awful lot of busy work and little to no documentation at all about how to build the multiblock structures or what you can use to drop things in (like how you can use a trapdoor on the wood one, but not the stone one and I have no idea what you use for the top block on an iron one??).

I prefer ex-nhilo I think.

Press G. There's a pretty well developed in-game documentation feature, including how to build the multiblocks and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

frenzy posted:

I'm hype
The only change that matters is Minecraft is getting breedable turtles.