Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Lumpen posted:

At 1am tonight, my plane takes off for 15 hours to Taipei, then 5 more to Bali. I'm 6'4”, we're flying coach. Luckily I understand that life is suffering and only by stoically practicing non-attachment to worldly comfort, can I attain enlightenment.

My wife's strategy, on the other hand, will be to take a bunch of Ambien and try to escape consciousness.

Either way, it'll all be worth it when we get there.

I've made that flight, JFK To Tokyo Narita airport, brutal. And I'm only 5'10". Good luck! Watch all the movies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

flying is like one of the best experiences you can have in this world

i've loved flying this much for as long as i can remember. in fact, when i was 5 my mother wasn't allowed to fly because she was pregnant, and my dad wanted to stay with her. so i flew alone and it was the absolute best. that kid from home alone has nothing on me.

how can you hate an experience where at any given time you can look out of a window and see something the vast majority of human beings who have ever lived could only imagine? if you walk far enough down the aisles you can even meet the pilots - two people who haven't seen each other in a while trying to make the most of their time. you can talk to the flight attendants who can tell you about the exact number of seconds they've spent in some countries etc. CHRIST YOU GET YOUR OWN LIGHT THAT YOU CAN KEEP ON THE ENTIRE TIME AND ON A PLANE THE ETIQUETTE IS NOT TO ASK PEOPLE TO TURN OFF THEIR LIGHT.

in my 20+ years of flying i've had two bad experiences. one i won't mention in case anyone here has a fear of flying, and the other was when i wanted the seat of an elder woman which was in the middle of a row and was offering her my seat which was a 'comfort' seat with a window at the front of a section and she just went off on me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

posting on the weed page

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:weed:
:420:
:2bong:
:350:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I hate you foo

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I got sniped in the time it took me to check how to do :2bong:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Ernie. posted:

flying is like one of the best experiences you can have in this world

i've loved flying this much for as long as i can remember. in fact, when i was 5 my mother wasn't allowed to fly because she was pregnant, and my dad wanted to stay with her. so i flew alone and it was the absolute best. that kid from home alone has nothing on me.

how can you hate an experience where at any given time you can look out of a window and see something the vast majority of human beings who have ever lived could only imagine? if you walk far enough down the aisles you can even meet the pilots - two people who haven't seen each other in a while trying to make the most of their time. you can talk to the flight attendants who can tell you about the exact number of seconds they've spent in some countries etc. CHRIST YOU GET YOUR OWN LIGHT THAT YOU CAN KEEP ON THE ENTIRE TIME AND ON A PLANE THE ETIQUETTE IS NOT TO ASK PEOPLE TO TURN OFF THEIR LIGHT.

in my 20+ years of flying i've had two bad experiences. one i won't mention in case anyone here has a fear of flying, and the other was when i wanted the seat of an elder woman which was in the middle of a row and was offering her my seat which was a 'comfort' seat with a window at the front of a section and she just went off on me.

It can be really physically uncomfortable if you're a big dude.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Whenever I am flying and the flight attendant gives the safety speech it is always a little awkward because usually my head is well above all the seats and we lock eyes and I'll be damned if I look away first.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Flying is good under 10 hours. Over 10 hours it gets really boring/uncomfortable and you just want to get off the plane. Sleeping in economy is impossible for me, because there is so little space, and the chairs recline so little.

And I am an average sized man, above 5'11" the space just diminishes more and more.

I flew Business class once from Tokyo to JFK, that was an amazing experience compared to economy. They should remove business class and just take the space that those chairs take up and give everyone on the plane a little more space. But they wont because corporations only care about money.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm 6'6" and fly coach constantly. Get over it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I hate you foo

:smugmrgw:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

You ever flown coach 15 hours?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Lumpen posted:

At 1am tonight, my plane takes off for 15 hours to Taipei, then 5 more to Bali. I'm 6'4”, we're flying coach. Luckily I understand that life is suffering and only by stoically practicing non-attachment to worldly comfort, can I attain enlightenment.

My wife's strategy, on the other hand, will be to take a bunch of Ambien and try to escape consciousness.

Either way, it'll all be worth it when we get there.

My wife has the same strategy for international flights and as a fellow Tall, I feel your pain :hfive: Enjoy your trip!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

Ever think that maybe this is why you are such a grumpy pants? MYT

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

merk posted:

You're also built like a praying mantis.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Magnus Gallant posted:

You ever flown coach 15 hours?

Longest has been ten hours. Multiple times.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
But a dapper praying mantis.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Longest has been ten hours. Multiple times.

Cool. I mean I'll never buy anything other than economy.

A round trip ticket to japan was 2000 dollars last I checked in economy, for business it was closer to 5000. I've been through worse than economy and its not that big a deal to me, but for tall people i could see how that would suck.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Spirit Airlines is the only flying uncomfortable mistake I'll never make again.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Lumpen posted:

You're also built like a praying mantis.

This is also probably a factor.

My length usually isn't as big a problem as my width. (LOL fatty!)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
One time I flew a small plane and almost killed the four people in it because I didn't know what I was doing and idk why my grandpa let me fly.

Tomorrow I'm gonna be on a plane for a 30 minute flight.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

One time I flew a small plane and almost killed the four people in it because I didn't know what I was doing and idk why my grandpa let me fly.

What? That sounds insane.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm really fat so flying is an awkward, mortifying, and sometimes painful experience.

I'm always terrified that at some point during the process of checking in that somewhere along the line they are going to tell me I'm too fat and not let me on the plane. It's happened to people who weigh less than I do, and there is always a possibility that it happens to me. I'm basically in a constant state of anxiety from when I arrive at the airport to when I can feel the plane pull away from the gate.

I always get an aisle seat so I can lean away from anyone I'm sitting next to as much as I can. I'll sit very uncomfortably myself to try to limit the inconvenience I put on somebody else, but I always just feel really embarrassed and ashamed. Most people are nice or at least polite enough to be silent about it, but not every time. During an overnight flight to Paris I sat next to a man who complained loudly to the flight attendants that he wanted to switch seats because he wasn't able to fully use his armrest, but there were no other seats on the plane. I ended up spending most of that flight standing around near the coffee area where they let people get up a stretch their legs for a minute, or sitting and leaning so hard into the armrest into the aisle that I ended up with a massive bruise on my leg by the time we landed. The TV controls that they put on the side of the armrest had been digging into my leg the entire time I was sitting down. I'm always afraid of having another experience like that, because I can see the look on people's faces when they realize they have to sit next to a fat person on a plane.

Flying is a stressful and horrible emotional experience. I hate it.

I have no problems with the actual act of flying.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

I was on a 45 minute flight once and it was actually the only time I've ever been afraid of flying. It was a smallish plane with one seat on each side and no overhead bins. You had to hunch over to get into it and when you sat down the seats were so low that your knees were in your chest.

You feel every bit of turbulence in that plane, it was so scary. Even though it saved me a 10 hour bus ride/7 hour car ride I never did it again.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I did 30 hours from JFK to melbourne through europe/asia once, no amount of being an anexeric dwarf is going to make that not hell on earth in cattle class.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

puddlejumpers suck

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

:australia:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Tommunist, disparaging the boot is a bootable offense!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

allen wren how is your auto-mafia thing going

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

What? That sounds insane.

Flying is cool and neat.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I can also attest that flying as a fat person really sucks. Fortunately, my girlfriend's disability makes her unlikely to fly unless we get a private jet or something, so I look forward to the combination of trains and cruise ships as I move forward into the future.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 27, 2020

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

it's just dehumanizing.

quote:

the people you're around are just slimey and weird

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

flying in coach sucks though because it's cramped and there's no free food or drinks and the televisions are usually bad and the people you're around are just slimey and weird

Good lord. You do not seem like a pleasant person.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Like you realize that being able to afford plane tickets at all puts you at a certain financial level that is above a great many people, right?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Seriously you are coming across as just the worst kind of privileged person right now.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 27, 2020

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

I was mostly being sarcastic?

?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

In ecco's defense I am a slimy and weird person and I fly coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Hey let's talk about our most arduous rite of passage that has shaped us.

Mine was moving to Korea after a life of being a privileged fat untraveled rural Hoosier, casting myself across the planet with nearly nothing and nobody, not knowing the language and into a huge unfamiliar city. I lived alone for the first time, forced to be self sufficient, and adapted to a radically different new job, culture, and lifestyle.

Shortly after arriving in Seoul, I climbed Surak Mountain with a group of other new foreign teachers I had met at orientation, and reached the summit encrusted with sweat, blistered and bloody. The descent was the first day of the rest of my life in a lot of ways. I grew as a successful teacher, got into the best shape I'd ever been in, freed myself entirely from debt, and discovered that being a parent was my true calling in life. I finally became an adult, even though I was 30.

I underwent a huge transformation in those three years, and gained a new perspective on the various and wonderful ways people make their way and find happiness in the world, especially visiting Cambodia and Mongolia, and realigned my expectations and values in life.

Second was the birth of my son 1 year and 2 days ago. That's been a whooe new ball of wax, I tell ya. Leaving him with my wife's family for the next 2 weeks is going to be rough after spending all day every day with him all year.

What was your rite of passage that shaped you?

Lumpen fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 28, 2015