Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/top-china-schools-test-parents-iq-ancestors-grades-obesity-enrollment/

quote:

Parents seeking a coveted place for their children at top Chinese schools are being forced to take tests, prove their ancestor’s academic credentials and even show they are not fat.

At least two private schools in Shanghai, China’s richest and most modern city, have been admonished by authorities for testing parents and carrying out intrusive surveys, while applicants at a third school complained about a ‘fat parent’ criteria.

“They check parent’s body shapes,” a parent applying to Shanghai’s Qibao Foreign Language School bemoaned, according to a screenshot of social media published by thepaper.cn.

“The reason is that fat parents display poor self-management skills.”

Education officials rebuked Qingpu World Foreign Language School and the nearby Yangpu Primary School for probing applicants’ family histories and setting logic tests for parents.

China’s increasingly wealthy generation of parents often take desperate measures to give their children a good education in the hope that their offspring will land a place at a prestigious foreign university.

Although the one-child policy was abolished in January 2016, many families chose to have one offspring for cultural reasons and because of busy lifestyles.

That child will often be the sole breadwinner in later life.

Shanghai Municipal Education Commission said Qingpu and Yangpu schools had been forced to “apologise in public” and to “cut down enrollment plans next year,” without elaborating.

Private Shanghai primary schools sanctioned after setting IQ tests for students' parents during enrollment.

Qingpu apologised on its website, adding that “negative social impacts were caused because of our ignorance of regulatory requirements.”

Yangpu, meanwhile, said its tests were not related to the enrollment procedure, but were aimed at “relaxing” parents.

The “graphics-based reasoning” was said to be too difficult for most of the test-takers.

An official at Qibao school told The Telegraph that authorities had ordered the school to conduct a “deep investigation”.

The man, who did not want to be named, said allegations were based on a “rumour”, but refused to deny the school tested parents, saying: “We don’t take foreign media interviews.”

Qingpu charges 30,000 yuan (£3,360) a term for six-year-olds entering the school, while Yangpu charges 11,000 yuan (£1,230) and Qibao 12,500 yuan (£1,400).

While many parents took to social media to complain about the strict enrolment procedures, some were less critical.

“Just like some schools in other countries require parents to be Christian, I think the requirements from these private schools are reasonable,” a mother who is hoping to enroll her daughter at the one of the schools told the Global Times newspaper.

China has a catchment area system for public schools, and competition for places has seen desperate parents splurge on extremely poor quality property near elite schools.

The Telegraph last year reported on an insect-ridden alleyway in Beijing being sold for a price similar to plush homes in Kensington and Chelsea because of the desirable catchment area.

Private schools – which make up about six per cent of enrolments at Shanghai primary schools - accept students on the basis of interviews and are not permitted to test applicants.

Reports in March said a private school in the southern city of Guangzhou would only enroll students whose parents achieved college degrees or above.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Tbf fat people do suck

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Suck chocolate cake down their pie hole that is

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I wonder if the new communist school in going to work at will have patriotism requirements for the parents.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I missed hot pot chat but I will weigh in nevertheless.

The only time I had hot pot in China it was Mongolian style. I think it was alright but to be honest I can't remember much about the food quality because we were getting completely wasted on baijiu. I drunkenly sang The Star Spangled Banner for everyone and they loved it, then I barfed in the restroom.

Hot pot here in LA county can be a mixed bag. There are lots of bad ones, but also good ones. It is complicated, I guess. But like others have said, the main point is to sit around and hang out with your friends while you eat and drink. What the gently caress is wrong with you if you don't like that?

You seem hyperfocused on the food itself and not the company around you, Haier. Slow down a bit. Have a rest.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

:420:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Devils Affricate posted:

Education officials rebuked Qingpu World Foreign Language School and the nearby Yangpu Primary School for probing applicants’ family histories and setting logic tests for parents.

The “graphics-based reasoning” was said to be too difficult for most of the test-takers.

:allears:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

To be fair, they were moderately challenging IQ test style questions. My parents would probably have a hard time too.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Devils Affricate posted:

To be fair, they were moderately challenging IQ test style questions. My parents would probably have a hard time too.

mama mia

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devils Affricate posted:

Whenever I see one of these I have no idea what I am looking at or what I am trying ton do with it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ok what's the answer? I'm usually pretty good at pattern recognition but I can't see it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Merge the shapes bottom to top and right to left. Overlapping lines are removed, unique lines stay. Its box with a dot in the middle.

The middle square makes it more difficult than it would be without it, especiallt since it doesnt solve diagonally.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 10, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the answer is square. or perhaps M. duh.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The answer is gently caress that school.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

Ok what's the answer? I'm usually pretty good at pattern recognition but I can't see it.

One of these tests probably killed a job I was going after.

I wish people would stop posting those other pattern recognition "Tests" that are scrub tier algebra. They do stupid poo poo like replacing the numbers with hamburgers and sodas.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Oh so the answer was staple cash money to the answer sheet? Cool.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Haier posted:

"Every country with an economy bigger than California"

Doing us proud, Xi. Doing us proud.

I always tell this to people who are like cali sucks and its basically bankrupt.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
These things really piss me off: For any given 'find the next in this mystery sequence' question, or it's permutations such as this, there are infinite solutions, as the pattern can be arbitrarily defined. If they where told of the pattern beforehand such as

Barudak posted:

Merge the shapes bottom to top and right to left. Overlapping lines are removed, unique lines stay. Its box with a dot in the middle.
Then yes, there's only one solution, otherwise all answers are equally viable.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My Taiwanese mother in law is great. My father in law on the other hand...

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Devils Affricate posted:

I missed hot pot chat but I will weigh in nevertheless.

The only time I had hot pot in China it was Mongolian style. I think it was alright but to be honest I can't remember much about the food quality because we were getting completely wasted on baijiu. I drunkenly sang The Star Spangled Banner for everyone and they loved it, then I barfed in the restroom.

Hot pot here in LA county can be a mixed bag. There are lots of bad ones, but also good ones. It is complicated, I guess. But like others have said, the main point is to sit around and hang out with your friends while you eat and drink. What the gently caress is wrong with you if you don't like that?

You seem hyperfocused on the food itself and not the company around you, Haier. Slow down a bit. Have a rest.
I went to a restaurant and posted about the food. I can sit with friends in any restaurant, so that's not the focus when I want to talk about food from a restaurant in my posting. "Well, we had a conversation while eating" can be said about any restaurant or food.
As a food itself, I didn't like hot pot and didn't see the hype about how it is so delishurss. That's all there is to it. Goons getting upset about my dislike of a certain soup and acting like I am silently sitting there glaring at the pot of boiling water and ignoring the world are LMBO. "NO, ur supposed to get drunk and sit with people for hours!!!" like hot pot is unique in this. LOL

EDIT: Changed words/grammar.

Haier fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 10, 2017

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Outrail posted:

If we treat left and middle as inputs, and right as the output, it's a logical xor (exclusive-or). If they're both missing a line, then it stays missing. If they both have the same line, it gets deleted. So the answer is 4.

Don't feel bad about finding it difficult. The questions were probably just stolen from a MENSA test or something and then given out here to gain massive face. This school is asking questions that even I, the parent, don't understand; must be a good [elementary] school!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
thank you for explaining this I figured it was 4 but I couldn't explain why

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ups_rail posted:

"Its my/their cutlure. Who are you to judge it"

Charles James Napier posted:

Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

:britain:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
https://youtu.be/QKoGhsOMwmY

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

The time when Britain truly was great

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

Colonialism was totes not great for hundreds of millions of people. But cool quotes are great.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Imperialist Dog posted:

Great at laying smack down on the colonies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

where angles fear to tread

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

caberham posted:

The must wait until X has a child / X is married is the dumbest poo poo ever.

To be fair, it did exist in the west as well.

At least, if The Brady Brides is to be believed.

Jan wants to marry her incredibly conservative boyfriend but their parents won't let her get married until Marsha, the eldest, ties the knot. So, to make her sister happy, she marries some filthy hippy and the series was about her having crazy sex with him all the time while her sexless younger sister looks on disapprovingly.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 10, 2017

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
We learned from the Americans not to let the colonies get too uppity.

"China won't let us sell drugs? What to do?"

AS A FRENCH MAN LET ME TELL YOU WHY WE SHOULD ATTACK

It seems we hit the powder magazine. But now what?

LET'S GO INTO THEIR FORTS OH poo poo NO A WALL. WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THAT THE CHINESE WOULD BUILD WALLS?

The barbarians are coming from the river! And they're milling about at the bottom of our walls? Using qi, I will guide this rock I found onto their heads.

Oi they only got one rock m8 just get on me shoulders

SIR THE CHINESE MOUSTACHES ARE RAZOR SHARP

ORGANISE A COUNTER-HANDLEBAR

"Can't we just shoot them?"
"No, it's the Qing's turn, under the rules of warfare we cannot use firearms until after twelve. Just grapple while the general tries to murder you with his horse."

WHAT BULLSHIT IS THIS, YOU GUYS AREN'T EVEN WEARING THE SAME UNIFORMS oh actually this is the second opium war huh

Hey we found some guns, how the gently caress do you work these matchlocks I mean the barbarian is just waving a sword at me, just shoot him. Also we appear to be in a white fantasy land both figuratively and literally?

Ok we won, welcome to the Empire, on to the next conflict. Here's a snappy blue uniform.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blistex posted:

Great at laying smack down on the colonies.

The AA gun hadn't been invented yet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

Ancient Chinese riddle...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://champions.co/p/mma-vs-tai-chi-10-million-bet-xu-xiaodong-ufc-video/4263175

quote:

I want him to understand, he used this kind of extreme method to provoke Chinese traditional culture, and will need to pay the price.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

I went to a restaurant and posted about the food. I can sit with friends in any restaurant, so that's not the focus when I want to talk about food from a restaurant in my posting. "Well, we had a conversation while eating" can be said about any restaurant or food.
As a food itself, I didn't like hot pot and didn't see the hype about how it is so delishurss. That's all there is to it. Goons getting upset about my dislike of a certain soup and acting like I am silently sitting there glaring at the pot of boiling water and ignoring the world are LMBO. "NO, ur supposed to get drunk and sit with people for hours!!!" like hot pot is unique in this. LOL

EDIT: Changed words/grammar.

If you don't like hot pot, then whatever. But when other people like it and you call 99% what mainlanders like is garbage then that just makes you a giant jerk.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wow this very convenience

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

oohhboy posted:

:confused:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/north-korea-executed-five-security-officials-anti-aircraft-guns/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

ohhhh okay nice

• Locked thread