Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Took a hail Mary shot on the nightmare banner even though I shouldn't. Got a physician staff (dupe) and Squalls bsb2. Probably wasn't worth 50 but hey, Squalls bsb2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

RagnarokAngel posted:

Took a hail Mary shot on the nightmare banner even though I shouldn't. Got a physician staff (dupe) and Squalls bsb2. Probably wasn't worth 50 but hey, Squalls bsb2!

Why wouldn't the best physical bsb be worth 50 mythril?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Why wouldn't the best physical bsb be worth 50 mythril?

Fair. I guess with the guaranteed 5* Its easy to feel like unless you get 2 good relics you missed out but that's probably the winner of the banner.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You convinced me to spend my only 15 mythril on hand like a dummy.

:eyepop: It was totally worth it hot drat. One wicked rad USB and another 10 MND for Aerith who has her BSB.

High five, ill-advised-mythril-spending-that-worked-out-for-the-best-somehow buddy!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Probably wasn't worth 50 but hey, Squalls bsb2!

...does not compute.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
tooooooo many dupes on that nightmare select banner

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Spent 50 mythril against my better judgement, pulled Cloud Cycle. Which, hilariously, is my first SB relic for Cloud. Since I also pulled Fujin's BSB on the last banner, I think the game is trying to tell me something. Benching Orlandeau and Refia for Fang and Fujin is rough, though.

Regardless, Cloud is now replacing Squall on my A team until I pull something other than Squall's SSB1 for him.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Cloud USB is coming July 4th so keep that in mind if you're hoarding mythril for it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Angelsong (party Major Regen) spotted in the datamine, possibly for pushing on June 10th?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
my A team consists of buffers and debuffers

Tyro: Keepers Tome(BSB) atk/mag and def/res small break + mnd breakdown
Faris: Phantom(USB) atk/mag/def/res/mnd moderate break + atk breakdown
Vaan: BSB mag/def breakdown + mag breakdown + def breakdown + mug bloodlust (atk/def small break)
Onion: BSB atk/mag mod buff + full break
(Insert Healer)

basically cookie cutter for any single target fight because they'll do poo poo damage with all my breaks applied and then i'll have a large atk buff RWd and OK's BSB buff and I'm doing 9999s to anything

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there a list anywhere of what legend spheres are considered the most useful? It sounds like it's really easy to mess this up by making bad picks or doing partial dives or picking people with overlapping motes.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Yeah do legend spheres unlock legend materia or just the slot so when you get relics that have LM tied to them you can slot them?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there a list anywhere of what legend spheres are considered the most useful? It sounds like it's really easy to mess this up by making bad picks or doing partial dives or picking people with overlapping motes.

Here is a map of overlapping mote usage:

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 8, 2017

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Servaetes posted:

Yeah do legend spheres unlock legend materia or just the slot so when you get relics that have LM tied to them you can slot them?

They unlock the actual materia. All the slots are available for everyone by default. Everyone has 2 legend materia guaranteed from legend dive (once they get access to it).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If you get a Legend Materia Relic, you can immediately use the Legend Materia tied to that Relic on the appropriate character, even before they're high enough level to unlock Record Spheres (though you will have to Master the Relic to use it without).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

I find the double-cast ones the most useful/powerful. 35% chance to doublecast on a white mage with a BSB will do amazing things for you, and 35% dualcast on your DPS people can be similarly amazing (especially if you pair them with a dual-cast RM and can triple-cast).

Honestly, Bartz is one of the best people to LD even if you don't have much for him. His LM is dual-casting ANY spellblade ability, which can be amaaazing (especially when paired with element-boosting gear, En-element, and/or Cloud USB RW). Most characters LMs are limited to a specific element, while Bartz can bring the hurt with any element he can access with spellblades. Obviously this makes him a great candidate for Snowspell Strike with spellblade motes.

Servaetes posted:

Each legend sphere grid has two legend materia (a weaker LM1 and a stronger LM2). Unlocking one will unlock access to the character's LM slots. Legend materia relics give that character a third LM (usually weaker then the average LM2, but stronger than an LM1), and will also unlock the LM slots. Using an LMR, you can unlock LM slots on even a level 1 character that can't access their basic sphere grid yet.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So ended up getting Keeper's Tome... Was that worth 50 mythril?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Faris' LM2 is also a pretty rad one too which is Debuff Duration Increased 40%. It's super handy for letting her various breakdown SBs last between uses without spamming wrath or lifesiphon. Especially useful for maximizing time on her USB hyperbreak should you have it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Excellent then! Outside of the gigantic PDF is there somewhere I can look at what the existing LMs are once you unlock the record sphere?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

I find the double-cast ones the most useful/powerful. 35% chance to doublecast on a white mage with a BSB will do amazing things for you, and 35% dualcast on your DPS people can be similarly amazing (especially if you pair them with a dual-cast RM and can triple-cast).

Honestly, Bartz is one of the best people to LD even if you don't have much for him. His LM is dual-casting ANY spellblade ability, which can be amaaazing (especially when paired with element-boosting gear, En-element, and/or Cloud USB RW). Most characters LMs are limited to a specific element, while Bartz can bring the hurt with any element he can access with spellblades. Obviously this makes him a great candidate for Snowspell Strike with spellblade motes.

I've got Bartz's en-wind, which was already nuts with snowspell strike, so :getin:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

xanthan posted:

So ended up getting Keeper's Tome... Was that worth 50 mythril?

I got it from the first set of lucky draws that we just had and figured I wouldn't use it much but it's pretty phenomenal.

It covers proshellga, has an mblink, and you can throw dances on tyro to stack breakdowns. Plus it's wrathable obviously. I've used it on the last two A+ fights to great effect.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Faris' LM2 is also a pretty rad one too which is Debuff Duration Increased 40%. It's super handy for letting her various breakdown SBs last between uses without spamming wrath or lifesiphon. Especially useful for maximizing time on her USB hyperbreak should you have it.

tyro has that debuff/buff boost too, so that'd be good for wall uptime

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Is there a list anywhere of what legend spheres are considered the most useful?

Generally speaking, any LM which gives Doublecast, a Trance Mode (notable exception: Steiner, he got screwed), Start with Haste + IC3, Start with Attach Element (LMR only), or an extra attack/effect when doing specific actions is in the upper tiers. Any LM which provides an increase to Attack or Magic for doing something is usually pretty lovely (notable exception: Refia's, which doesn't work at all like the in-game text describes it and instead gives her +50% Attack for 1 turn whenever she crits; it lets her be useful in hybrid teams without needing as much attack buff support). LMs which do something else need to be evaluated on a case by case basis; for example, the "Increased buff duration" LMs are only valuable if you have multiple buffs on the same character which you want to keep 100% uptime of.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Looking at a list of them now and...does Ashe's dualcast lightning ability work on Valigarmanda? I've got her BSB already, so being able to hit a 43% chance to dualcast Vali would be pretty funny.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Looking at a list of them now and...does Ashe's dualcast lightning ability work on Valigarmanda? I've got her BSB already, so being able to hit a 43% chance to dualcast Vali would be pretty funny.

If it does lightning damage, even partly lightning, even if lightning isn't the part chosen for the actual damage resolution, it works.

That said, I'm not sure where you're getting 43% chance from.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Zurai posted:

If it does lightning damage, even partly lightning, even if lightning isn't the part chosen for the actual damage resolution, it works.

That said, I'm not sure where you're getting 43% chance from.

Dualcast legend sphere + RM would be a 43.45% chance of dualcast and 4.55% chance of triple cast, right? Or does it not work that way.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
I think the chance is actually higher than that since the Dualcast summon RM is 20% instead of the 13% that the spellblade dualcast RM has. Assuming, that is, that your took the numbers from what they sorted out to maximize Squall's BSB2.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Rosa's LM2 is probably the shittiest thing they could've made, pretty much the LM equivalent of Y'shtola's USB.

Considering my options now for diving. I'm thinking my best bet is Y'shtola as a first candidate, she's pretty much my only true "A" team member anyway. I'd have done Squall if I got his BSB2. Ramza's probably my next best. Everyone else seems pretty situational for now.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

Rosa's LM2 is probably the shittiest thing they could've made, pretty much the LM equivalent of Y'shtola's USB.

Considering my options now for diving. I'm thinking my best bet is Y'shtola as a first candidate, she's pretty much my only true "A" team member anyway. I'd have done Squall if I got his BSB2. Ramza's probably my next best. Everyone else seems pretty situational for now.

Yes, Rosa's LM2 sucks rear end, and her LMR is even worse (+X% Mind per WHT cast ... but you're almost certainly using Wrath-Wrath-SB with Rosa, so the iteration will have virtually zero discernible effect). That's why I haven't dived her in JP despite having her God Mode USB.

Dualcast legend sphere + RM would be a 43.45% chance of dualcast and 4.55% chance of triple cast, right? Or does it not work that way.

It does, the 43% just misled me since I assumed you were talking about multi-cast instead of just pure dualcast. Also, as mentioned, the W-Summon RM is 20%, not 13%, so you get 55% total multi-cast chance.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Zurai posted:

It does, the 43% just misled me since I assumed you were talking about multi-cast instead of just pure dualcast. Also, as mentioned, the W-Summon RM is 20%, not 13%, so you get 55% total multi-cast chance.

Ah, I definitely worded that poorly. That sounds pretty drat good to me, I think I'll end up shooting for Ashe, Bartz, and maybe Ramza at first? Yshtola is tempting too, since I have her BSB and Wall, but I dunno.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ah, I definitely worded that poorly. That sounds pretty drat good to me, I think I'll end up shooting for Ashe, Bartz, and maybe Ramza at first? Yshtola is tempting too, since I have her BSB and Wall, but I dunno.

I would definitely prioritize Y'shtola. A healer with a great BSB and dual-cast white makes a HUGE difference. I'd probably rate her as the top white mage because of her LM2. Vanille gets double-cast too, but she only has the AoE healing burst command, and not the single-target instant Curaja. Sometimes you want an instant heal, and getting to fully heal two characters 35% of the time will save your butt so many times.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm personally saving 100 Bravery/Vitality in reserve for Shelke (or Morrow if we actually get that event). That'll leave me with Raines, Shantotto and Vanille as my first dive choices, and I'm having trouble choosing between DPS or healing. I'm also hoping for Vivi's BSB2 in the IX event so I can dive him instead for his Trance - 50% dualcast Black Magic (and it's not like he can equip anything else).

Everyone else I want to dive uses Bravery though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Agrias for the pinch hit my god. I'll accept this though because I'm not very good at this game.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I pulled on the white mage banner for 25 mythril and got a lute for ff1 sarah that heals and gives haste. I'll take it but drat my last 2 half price draws have sucked.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Schwartzcough posted:

I would definitely prioritize Y'shtola. A healer with a great BSB and dual-cast white makes a HUGE difference. I'd probably rate her as the top white mage because of her LM2. Vanille gets double-cast too, but she only has the AoE healing burst command, and not the single-target instant Curaja. Sometimes you want an instant heal, and getting to fully heal two characters 35% of the time will save your butt so many times.

Yeah. I'm going Yshtola too. That instant Curaja is just too good with a 30% chance of doubling.

I find even against AOEs it's better many times to go CMD 1 than 2. Usually you have enough time to fully heal two weakest characters before the next hit. This just makes it even better

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I've never messed with doublecast stuff, if you use an untargeted CM1 for something like YShtola's BSB and it triggers twice, will it cast on two different people? If so that's way better than I thought.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The additional proc respects auto-target rules. WHM single-target abilities and commands generally pick the lowest HP character, so yes, Y'shtola has a 35% chance of casting instant Curaja on two different characters or Medica twice from her BSB commands.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

:getin:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is there a list of what trances do what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hahaha decided my earlier misgivings about this select banner were silly, I only had 4 dupes, lots of decent stuff...

2/11

Third plat sword
Wizard staff, the least interesting relic on the banner for me I didn't already have, since I had two ffvii medicas.

I want to rage pull again on principle but I need to save for extreme fest, down to 100 myth.

God I'm dumb.

• Locked thread