Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The state compels taxes with the threat of imprisonment.

The Church compels tithe with the threat of eternal damnation.

Helpful hint, only one of these is a real consequence that can actually be inflicted on you in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Platystemon posted:

All the other churches also compel tithing with threat of damnation and get even madder when you tithe to the other church, so honestly you're hosed either way so might as well not give money to pedos

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
this is actually hell because we didn't tithe enough in life :rip:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

420 Gank Mid posted:

All the other churches also compel tithing with threat of damnation and get even madder when you tithe to the other church, so honestly you're hosed either way so might as well not give money to pedos

What’s the opposite of Pascal’s Wager.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Peanut President posted:

this is actually hell because we didn't tithe enough in life :rip:

oh cool, turns out gay sex is still great in hell, who would have thought

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Mr. Lobe posted:

oh cool, turns out gay sex is still great in hell, who would have thought

Me in Hell: i *like* this. i enjoy suffering, it rocks atually Satan [exasperated]: this guy is owning me! this guy is owning all of hell!!

— lemons (@respected_loner)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

:lol: he's an IRL dril character

https://twitter.com/oraeekene/status/1106258664388743168
https://twitter.com/oraeekene/status/1106259556483715072
https://twitter.com/oraeekene/status/1106260207053742086

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://www.twitter.com/oraeekene/status/1106281251722481671

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dreylad posted:

do you want to hold all poor americans responsible for america's endless litany of war crimes? If you want to say yes, fair enough,otherwise I think a bit of discretion is warranted.

Other people have touched on this, but I guess it comes down to whether we consider both groups to have been coerced, either through state power or fear of eternal damnation.

OTOH, I'm not wholly averse to the idea that Americans (and white ones in particular) are born into a form of Original Sin.

So there's my non-answer.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What’s the opposite of Pascal’s Wager.

Hatuey's double-down? He was a taino man who was offered salvation if he converted before he was put to death. He responded:

Guy recounting Hatuey's ordeal posted:

(Hatuey), thinking a little, asked the religious man if Spaniards went to heaven. The religious man answered yes... The chief then said without further thought that he did not want to go there but to hell so as not to be where they were and where he would not see such cruel people. This is the name and honor that God and our faith have earned.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
post weed takes for page 420

https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/1106194254030868480?s=21

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

hey kids you know what's really "not cool"

feeling good and being happy

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The SA Forums: Debate and Discussion: C-SPAM: hey kids you know what's really "not cool"

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

SpaceGoku posted:

hey kids you know what's really "not cool"

:hmmyes:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

god beto really sucks

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

?????

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

are you loving kidding me. we need to make weed uncool. and we're going to spend public tax dollars on making weed uncool

WHERE DO YOU FIND THESE IDIOTS DO YOU GROW THEM OUT OF A loving VAT OR SOMETHING

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

My baby-boomer parents smoke weed regularly, it's not going to get much less cool than that.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Taintrunner posted:

are you loving kidding me. we need to make weed uncool. and we're going to spend public tax dollars on making weed uncool

WHERE DO YOU FIND THESE IDIOTS DO YOU GROW THEM OUT OF A loving VAT OR SOMETHING

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Taintrunner posted:

there’s no hope with dope, buddy

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Taintrunner posted:

welcome to texas yall. no weed, lots of whataburger tacquitos hold the jalapenos

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jollity Farm posted:

My baby-boomer parents smoke weed regularly, it's not going to get much less cool than that.

same except they smoke weed while listening to wu tang

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how out of touch do you have to be to think cigarettes are uncool

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

There's a second daughter in there

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Shear Modulus posted:

how out of touch do you have to be to think cigarettes are uncool

my favorite thing is how everyone under 30 who smokes is like “yeah I know it’s bad for me, who loving cares, have you looked around,” making them even cooler tbh

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I literally quit vaping when I was younger to jump ship to cigarettes because they made me look like less of a tool

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

im on the net me boys posted:

I literally quit vaping when I was younger to jump ship to cigarettes because they made me look like less of a tool

I switched to juul and hide out of sight in shame bc my therapist convinced me my life at 55 might not be terrible

lol

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Gonna contribute my own hot take ITT: Mike Pence makes Mitt Romney look like John Shaft.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/fraser_anning/status/1106445138639740930

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Jesus Christ. Reported but there's no way this will get banned

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/RHFluffyFish/status/1106346419009585152

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I switched to juul and hide out of sight in shame bc my therapist convinced me my life at 55 might not be terrible

lol

I quit smoking 15 years ago so I could be healthier as I got older. I'm older now and I really don't think it was worth it.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Local Weather posted:

I quit smoking 15 years ago so I could be healthier as I got older. I'm older now and I really don't think it was worth it.

What a thing to be posting on page 420

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

what was it?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Samovar posted:

what was it?

The real cause of bloodshed on New Zealand streets today is the immigration program that allowed Muslim fanatics to migrate to New Zealand in the first place.

— Senator Fraser Anning (@fraser_anning) March 15, 2019

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://twitter.com/fel_caldwell/status/1106432989011959808/

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Jesus Christ. Reported but there's no way this will get banned

oh drat guess i was wrong

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Platystemon posted:

The state compels taxes with the threat of imprisonment.

i know the conversation moved away from this but it does not. tithing is completely optional, except in germany where by law you have to tithe if you're a registered member of a church. i can't speak much to church finances, cause i got a civil degree when i was at seminary and not a religious one, but to my understanding when you tithe in america your money goes to your local diocese or parish, which is financially independent from the rest of the church. so like, people generally tithe if they like their local church and want to help pay the bills and maybe buy some nice new ritual implements, and they also generally get really pissed if that money is instead spent on paying victims of molestation. usually not because they're compensating victims (tho obvs there's bad people everywhere who see these victims as money grubbing) but because through their priest/bishop's action/inaction the money they intended for their community of worshipers to be spent bailing out their priest/bishop's horrific activities.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Eat This Glob posted:

Hatuey's double-down? He was a taino man who was offered salvation if he converted before he was put to death. He responded:

Voltaire's last words could be expanded to include other dieties: According to one story of his last words, his response to a priest at his deathbed urging him to renounce Satan was "Now is not the time for making new enemies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CocoTruth4Trump/status/1106513188621815808