Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I don't know where it falls compared to the other metal models posted, but I just finished putting together my penitent engine for the 2nd 3rd time, going whole hog on pinning every joint and I feel that the entire process has been itself an act of repentance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I feel like I should be thankful that the worst metal models I've dealth with are warp spiders.

Bucnasti posted:

Tell me you purple secrets witch!

Seriously, I'm trying to do purple marines and I get a nice rich base coat with Vallejo hexed lichen purple but everything I try to use to shade or highlight with turns it to crap.

Not much to tell really. Xereus Purple basecoat, Nuln Oil recess shading, and a 50/50-ish mix of Screamer Pink and Screaming Skull for the highlights.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

R0ckfish posted:

Help I have fallen for nids and I can't decide on behemoth vs leviathan

I think overall I prefer the leviathan test model more, it has nice contrast to my eyes.

Leviathan IMO.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

I don't know where it falls compared to the other metal models posted, but I just finished putting together my penitent engine for the 2nd 3rd time, going whole hog on pinning every joint and I feel that the entire process has been itself an act of repentance.

I just got two of those buggers in the mail and I'm hating every second of putting them together, I was thinking of picking up more before hand but not till I can get a freaking plastic variant. Pinned everything I can and I need to sand one of the shoulders down since the stupid pipe is in the drat way. Holy hell such awful awful models.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

R0ckfish posted:

I think overall I prefer the leviathan test model more, it has nice contrast to my eyes.

Behemoth all the way.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

R0ckfish posted:

Leviathan there does look striking, ultimately it's going to be down to which you enjoyed painting more since youll need to do a hundred of the fuckers.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone have an extra Reaper Launcher?

Like, literally one single Dark Reaper gun? I'd buy it for a premium!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Managed to finish the first of my assault squad today. Decided to make him a Black Templar, which seemed fitting.

Happy with how it turned out. Four more to go!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aw yeah, page 420 :420: :2bong: :catdrugs:

Has GW mentioned what gangs they're planning on releasing next for Newcromunda?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
One per quarter starting with Orlocks some time after Christmas.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Now that the codex is here, I have a rough working 1K list of Hive Fleet Snagglepuss. It's largely based on the gants and stealers I already have, the contents of the new box, and a couple of other units that I decided to add in. It was supposed to start as a Nidzilla list but turned more Midzilla when I realized I really dug the new box. I have no experience building Nids list so advice would be appreciated. My general plan is to hold the Raveners, Trygon, and I guess maybe the Termagants in reserve and then deep strike them as appropriate, although I've been considering just running a Trygon Prime and having the Warriors pop in with it instead of the gants.

++ Patrol Detachment (Tyranids) [56 PL, 1002pts] ++

Hive Fleet: Behemoth

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]: Monstrous Rending Claws, Power: Catalyst, Warlord Trait: Monstrous Hunger

+ Troops +

Genestealers [16 PL, 240pts]: 4x Acid Maw
. 20x Genestealer: 20x Rending Claws, 20x Scything Talons

Termagants [6 PL, 108pts]
. 9x Termagant (Devourer): 9x Devourer
. 9x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Tyranid Warriors [5 PL, 72pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Spinefists

+ Elites +

Hive Guard [7 PL, 144pts]
. Hive Guard: Impaler Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Raveners [4 PL, 72pts]
. Ravener: 2x Scything Talons, Spinefists

+ Heavy Support +

Trygon Prime [10 PL, 204pts]: Adrenal Glands, 3x Massive Scything Talons, Scythes of Tyran, Toxinspike

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
gently caress I paint so slow. I've been busy with work and other hobbies so I haven't painted anything in a couple months, decided to batch paint some gaunts. Barely managed to get 7 of them basecoated and mostly layered in a couple hours and now my back's getting sore.

Won't take me too much longer tomorrow to wash and detail them, but still. Gonna have to paint lots of these, plus some big guys. I do enjoy it but it sure eats up free time.

Still pretty happy with the crazy paint scheme I came up with. Looking forward to painting a Tyrant with these colors.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
So, I impulse bought a Stompa I found on the shelf of a FLGS.

The guns are huge, and awesome

The feet too, are awesome:

The instructions tell you to glue the interior cavity closed, but when you have these two giant DOOR LIKE sections, why not hiiiiiiiiiiinge theeeeeeeeem

Excited to see it start to take shape:

So, when it was 'finished enough' I gave it a lick of yellow paint, and took it to my local games workshop. A mate and I agreed, 50 power level, my stompa Vs. whatever he wants.

he decided to rock up with Magnus the fuckin' RED and his sorcerer posse.

I was fucken' RED-Y TO GO

The skittles? Well, a stompa has 40 wounds (as many as four tens, and that's terrible) so I decided to put 40 skittles in a container and eat them as they were expended.

Plus, they conveniently store in aforementioned compartment:

The outcome? I shot the christ out of Magnus, then chopped him up - before his sorcerer mates smite'd me to death. Also, we both ate a lot of skittles.

I loving love this thing. Going to mod it some more, then get to painting it PROPPA!

Edit:

Modified the head to make it more orky - prepare to meet, MR ANGRY EYES

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 13, 2017

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

One per quarter starting with Orlocks some time after Christmas.

They need to hurry up and release Cawdor. I also want Forge World to make a bad rear end Redeemer and a big stupid Pulpitek :colbert:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress I paint so slow. I've been busy with work and other hobbies so I haven't painted anything in a couple months, decided to batch paint some gaunts. Barely managed to get 7 of them basecoated and mostly layered in a couple hours and now my back's getting sore.

Won't take me too much longer tomorrow to wash and detail them, but still. Gonna have to paint lots of these, plus some big guys. I do enjoy it but it sure eats up free time.

Still pretty happy with the crazy paint scheme I came up with. Looking forward to painting a Tyrant with these colors.

Buy an airbrush. Seriously, they're amazing.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Absolutely, if only for baecoating

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Buy an airbrush. Seriously, they're amazing.

What if I neither have nor have space for an air compressor?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

AnEdgelord posted:

A hobby compressor is the size of like a lunchbox.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What is it like using an airbrush

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

goose willis posted:

frustrating, then amazing, then frustrating again

mainly thinning paint / cleaning it is an asspain, but they're great to use

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AnEdgelord posted:

It's not much space. I can fit everything on a small table.

goose willis posted:

It takes some getting used to, but the flexibility and speed is well worth it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So looking at 8th rules, how should I build this tyrant I have sitting here? Flyrant with dakka? Swarmlord? Both sound pretty fun. (I'll probably end up buying another to do whatever I don't build this one as, but that may be awhile)

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Magnetised the head of my special yellow boy:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaphod42 posted:

So looking at 8th rules, how should I build this tyrant I have sitting here? Flyrant with dakka? Swarmlord? Both sound pretty fun. (I'll probably end up buying another to do whatever I don't build this one as, but that may be awhile)

Swarmlord is really good, but I built mine as a Flyrant with Heavy Venom Cannon and Monstrous Scything Talons. With the update the HVC it's a pretty good all around gun, and it just looks iconically 'Nid.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Goon Hivemind: can you help me identify this sick as hell conversion?

It's part of a 'Nid lot I just bought second hand, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress it is.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Strobe posted:

Swarmlord is really good, but I built mine as a Flyrant with Heavy Venom Cannon and Monstrous Scything Talons. With the update the HVC it's a pretty good all around gun, and it just looks iconically 'Nid.

Monstrous Rending claws are mathematically superior against all targets compared to Talons and Swords, and are free. Never go with mon scything talons or boneswords, UNLESS you're giving them an upgrade relic.

I also never recommend going double guns on a tyrant, as you make them AP-1, D1 in close combat if you do. Devourers seem to be the top option.

I'm also of the opinion that heavy venom cannons really aren't that good. Too expensive and really not that likely to do damage. Everyone keeps talking about how amazing they are now... and they're just not. On a BS 3+ platform they only average 1.7 damage per round. It'll take you all game to kill a single rhino with one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Strobe posted:

Goon Hivemind: can you help me identify this sick as hell conversion?

It's part of a 'Nid lot I just bought second hand, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress it is.

I believe that is a Katamari.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I’m playing Jorm which I think is the only time when a walking tyrant is a sane decision over flying. Since I want him to be medium-long range and not strafing in close, should I go double deathspitters or HVC? Melee will probably be rending claws.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Master Twig posted:

Monstrous Rending claws are mathematically superior against all targets compared to Talons and Swords, and are free. Never go with mon scything talons or boneswords, UNLESS you're giving them an upgrade relic.

I also never recommend going double guns on a tyrant, as you make them AP-1, D1 in close combat if you do. Devourers seem to be the top option.

I'm also of the opinion that heavy venom cannons really aren't that good. Too expensive and really not that likely to do damage. Everyone keeps talking about how amazing they are now... and they're just not. On a BS 3+ platform they only average 1.7 damage per round. It'll take you all game to kill a single rhino with one.

On a BS3+ platform a twin Lascannon only averages 2.6 damage per round, it'll take you all game to kill a single rhino with one of those too. And yet, I've never heard anyone ever say that a twin Lascannon too expensive and not likely to do damage.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Boon posted:

Does anyone have an extra Reaper Launcher?

Like, literally one single Dark Reaper gun? I'd buy it for a premium!

I have tons of 2nd edition, does that work or do you need 4th edition?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Magnetised the head of my special yellow boy:

This and your battle report were awesome. Love the skittles compartment.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

The instructions tell you to glue the interior cavity closed, but when you have these two giant DOOR LIKE sections, why not hiiiiiiiiiiinge theeeeeeeeem

So, when it was 'finished enough' I gave it a lick of yellow paint, and took it to my local games workshop. A mate and I agreed, 50 power level, my stompa Vs. whatever he wants.

The skittles? Well, a stompa has 40 wounds (as many as four tens, and that's terrible) so I decided to put 40 skittles in a container and eat them as they were expended.

The outcome? I shot the christ out of Magnus, then chopped him up - before his sorcerer mates smite'd me to death. Also, we both ate a lot of skittles.

I loving love this thing. Going to mod it some more, then get to painting it PROPPA!

Edit:

This post needs more attention.

You beautiful bastard. You should make the stompa an actual Skittles dispenser. If you can chop up a cheap mechanical candy dispenser and cram it inside somehow, it would be even better. Regardless, it's amazing. You're amazing. Candy wounds is genius.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Strobe posted:

On a BS3+ platform a twin Lascannon only averages 2.6 damage per round, it'll take you all game to kill a single rhino with one of those too. And yet, I've never heard anyone ever say that a twin Lascannon too expensive and not likely to do damage.

Imperial armies tend to have access to quite a few cheap platforms for lascannons. How many HVCs can Tyranids bring to bear? I'm sure they're spammable to some degree but realistically, how many will a balanced Tyranid list have?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Phyresis posted:

Imperial armies tend to have access to quite a few cheap platforms for lascannons. How many HVCs can Tyranids bring to bear? I'm sure they're spammable to some degree but realistically, how many will a balanced Tyranid list have?

You can fit an HVC on every Carnifex, Hive Tyrant, and Harpy. Carnifexes are the cheapest option at an admittedly fairly pricy 114 at BS3+ for the HVC and a significantly, significantly more capable melee option than any Imperial Las platform.

Regular Venom Cannons are still pretty good, and you can fit those into a plain old Warrior squad. A Nidzilla list could conceivably pack six or eight of them, plus another six or eight VCs (or five per Tyrannocite, if you're okay with 5+)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bonds0097 posted:

I have tons of 2nd edition, does that work or do you need 4th edition?

I'm not sure the gun itself is all that different, and even if it is, one different gun just adds a little variety.

What would it take to purchase and ship to MN?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Sab669 posted:

gently caress that Hell Cannon; it was the last model I bought before quitting WHFB years and years ago. Awful to put together, and the first and last time I fielded it, it rolled a Misfire and caused all Wizards on the battlefield to roll a Miscast (or whatever it was called) and all of my Wizards blew themselves up :suicide:

That said, for some reason, I'm thinking of picking up this money pit game again. Although the fact that this post is the first thing I see seems like a bad omen. I saw a box of Skitarii (Adeptus Mechanus?) at my local store yesterday and they look cool as gently caress. I saw in the OP the core rules are available online (wtf, Games Workshop giving something out for free?) which I'm about to poke through but is there anything I should explicitly be aware of or stay away from?

I'm not dead-set on the AM, I was also looking over Orks (my first 40K army), or if I can find someone to split the two-player box then I wouldn't mind the Death Guard.

If no one else has taken you up on this, I wouldn't mind splitting a Dark Imperium or Know No Fear box with you.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Edit:

This is the best thing

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This post needs more attention.

You beautiful bastard. You should make the stompa an actual Skittles dispenser. If you can chop up a cheap mechanical candy dispenser and cram it inside somehow, it would be even better. Regardless, it's amazing. You're amazing. Candy wounds is genius.

Hmm. Wonder if I can adapt some gimmicky thing like this:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Great day of painting! I got like 5 hours in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Hmm. Wonder if I can adapt some gimmicky thing like this:

I think the body of that would fit inside the stompa body. You'd need to find something to replace the dome though.

This makes me want to make a Tom Servo themed stompa.