Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I had the pleasure of seeing a 4K projection when the blurays came out, and I don't know if my memory is correct, but I still feel like it's the sharpest image I've ever seen in a theatrical presentation. For someone who practically memorized the film, every new piece of rubble or wrinkle that was visible caught my attention.

yeah I saw The Final Cut in theaters when it first came out too and it was stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I see myself getting a 4K player within the next year. A year ago, there just weren't enough movies out yet.

I'd upgrade to 4K for Goodfellas, Deadpool, and the Harry Potter films. I haven't even picked up Dredd, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, or Creed on any format yet, so that would push me.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The only 4K movies I have so far are Star Trek Beyond and Labyrinth. I was a little disappointed with Star Trek. Still want to get Power Rangers and Pacific Rim in 4k. I bet both of those would look really good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Though, Criterion is definitely releasing a John Hughes film in the near future, but most believe it's going to be Sixteen Candles.

Jesus Christ, why?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Jesus Christ, why?

They'd make bank on a John Hughes release. Also, Sixteen Candles is apparently one of Peter Becker's favorite movies.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Can't wait for The Great Outdoors: Criterion #1154

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm hoping for a $150 UHD 4k player this black friday.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boinks posted:

I'm hoping for a $150 UHD 4k player this black friday.

I got a Toshiba 4k TV for like $400. Is it actually worth getting a UHD player? I just can't imagine there is that much of a difference.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anime is the deal of the day at Amazon. I have no idea if any of these are good.

$14.99 - Steins Gate: The Complete Series Classic (+ DVD) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KU3Y5C...71e0a2b4d8fa4db
$15.99 - Spice & Wolf: The Complete Series (+ DVD) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXEWFW...1a5ff9efa4712b1
$29.99 - My Hero Academia: Season 1 (+ DVD) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR7O5U...e314f5b0ec31801

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They are all pretty solid. S;G in particular was quite popular.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nihonniboku posted:

I got a Toshiba 4k TV for like $400. Is it actually worth getting a UHD player? I just can't imagine there is that much of a difference.

For a $400 TV? Probably not, unless you got one heck of a bargain.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Does it support HDR? The improved color is the biggest benefit to UHD, at least in terms of what you'll notice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Since physical media is basically a niche market at this point, I'd think eventually we'll see movies only get UHD releases, and that's the point where I'll upgrade, not before.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Does it support HDR? The improved color is the biggest benefit to UHD, at least in terms of what you'll notice.

I'm guessing because I can't find anything saying that it does support HDR, that it doesn't. It's a refurbished Toshiba 49L621U.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to Home Theater Forum, Warner Bros. has a ton of big movies coming to UHD by the end of the year:

Gravity, The Matrix, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, Interstellar, The Departed, and The Polar Express

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

According to Home Theater Forum, Warner Bros. has a ton of big movies coming to UHD by the end of the year:

Gravity, The Matrix, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, Interstellar, The Departed, and The Polar Express

When's Sony set to release some catalog titles? It's so strange how they basically sent the format out to die with no real support.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Call Me Charlie posted:

When's Sony set to release some catalog titles? It's so strange how they basically sent the format out to die with no real support.

They didn't even inflate the cost of their game console with it!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Can't wait for The Great Outdoors: Criterion #1154

Big blueray chase me!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Egbert Souse posted:

I bought virtually all these on Blu (and a good chunk on DVD too), but that's not a bad selection of recent releases at least. Tempted to get at least Interstellar again as those IMAX scenes should look even better, and could be tempted by some of the others too. The HDR grading on The Matrix could be interesting given they've always loved messing with the color grading on that one anyway. Not a bad announcement.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$7.99 - Southpaw (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/Southpaw-Blu...10ed1acba80b7cc

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
For those hungry for The Abyss remaster, the theatrical version should be up on Amazon now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

They'd make bank on a John Hughes release. Also, Sixteen Candles is apparently one of Peter Becker's favorite movies.

That movie is absolutely vile. It's not just that it's lovely like Hughes' other teen comedies. It's super loving racist and there's that awful scene where date rape is a punchline. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that loving movie.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Darn, I thought that said UMD

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
James Gunn just announced on Facebook that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is going to be the first Disney 4KUHD release

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh sweet, I wonder if they'll do a double pack with the first. I missed G2 in the theater and haven't seen the original since it came out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has Kino Lorber's upcoming SEs of Barton Fink and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for $19.99.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has Kino Lorber's upcoming SEs of Barton Fink and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for $19.99.

Jumped on Barton Fink (and also used the opportunity to grab Shout!'s Bubba Ho Tep for $20 too) but I'm real torn over yet another edition of TGTBTU; it'd be my fourth time buying it on blu (the first standalone Australian release, the American stand-alone release with the un-hosed colour timing, The Man With No Name trilogy boxset, and now this). I know I want it, but quad-dipping just seems almost offensive at this point :(

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm pretty sure Kino is going to release the other 2 in the trilogy. I'd wait to see if a box set get released next year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm pretty sure Kino is going to release the other 2 in the trilogy. I'd wait to see if a box set get released next year.

A Fistful of Dollars later this year, For a Few Dollars More next year. I think they already confirmed they'd simply offer a slipcase to those who buy them separately.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Well I've had the Man With No Name boxset sitting pretty in my pile of shame for over twelve months now so waiting for the updated versions all at once is probably better for my wallet anyway.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, Mill Creek is releasing Leonard Part 6

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I still find it hilarious how 4k players are around $250.00 on average. Like, what in the gently caress?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RedSpider posted:

I still find it hilarious how 4k players are around $250.00 on average. Like, what in the gently caress?

Eh that's par for course with a new format. I remember the first blu-ray players were well over $500. The PS3 used to be the 'bargain' blu-ray player at only $4-500.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

RedSpider posted:

Do what I did and buy an Xbox One S. At least you can play video games too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you have a good tv beware though because the Xbox one s can't keep up always. It struggled running despicable me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I really hoped they'd have that fixed in a firmware update or something.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My first DVD player from 2000 cost $220. It couldn't even play DVD-Rs. It paused at layer changes. I bought a Sony all-region 3-D Blu-Ray player for $105 last year.

I'm surprised the 4K players aren't $1000, really.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, Mill Creek is releasing Leonard Part 6

I have no words.

Egbert Souse posted:

My first DVD player from 2000 cost $220. It couldn't even play DVD-Rs. It paused at layer changes. I bought a Sony all-region 3-D Blu-Ray player for $105 last year.

I'm surprised the 4K players aren't $1000, really.

I've been looking for an all regions player in the 100 dollar range. Where did you get this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

These guys always had a good reputation - http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So a few questions, is there a particular brand on here I should get or is Sony good enough? Also, does all this voltage stuff matter? If I recall correctly it has something to do with the difference between PAL/NTSC (I'm in the US).

• Locked thread