Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
In one of my Roman history courses at college, we had an "Irish" guy who was inordinately proud that the Romans never conquered Ireland and finally the professor just told him that it was because Ireland was worthless and the Romans didn't want to waste their time on it. In a nicer way, of course. It was pretty funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The Belgian posted:

Sure. Now I''m wondering though: Did they ever find something in the americas that could have been from a real roman ship? Maybe some nails from the ship + amphoras + random clutter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecaxic-Calixtlahuaca_head

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

"according to an informal declaration by Paul Schmidt, an archaeologist at UNAM, the head was planted in the site by a participating archaeologist, Hugo Moedano, in an attempt to play a practical joke on José García Payón"

The fact that none of my pranks can involve a 9th century piece of statuary is a clear indication I've made horrible life choices.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm reading a book right now that claims that basques knew about North America and fished for cod that they dried and salted on the coast, but never told anyone about it because it was a fishing secret.

This is pretty likely and most of the seafaring folks in Western Europe ending up in the Grand Banks from time to time and in Newfoundland.(this is based on descriptions of fishing areas that look a lot like the Grand Banks from records) but really sailing technology didn't work well enough till the 17th century for colonies to really work.

Of course I also don't believe in the Chinese treasure fleet either.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sbaldrick posted:

Of course I also don't believe in the Chinese treasure fleet either.

You shouldn't. It's nonsense written by a moron.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems more possible to reach America through the pacific by making lots of stop-offs at islands, but I'd expect most explorers from China to get sick of tiny islands full of people living in small huts long before they reached the continent.

Or even worse, tiny islands that don't have people at all.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems more possible to reach America through the pacific by making lots of stop-offs at islands, but I'd expect most explorers from China to get sick of tiny islands full of people living in small huts long before they reached the continent.

You're dramatically underestimating how large the Pacific is.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

The best route from China to America would be north along Japan riding the Kuroshio Current (Pacific version of the Gulf Stream), then down along Alaska and California. Island hopping along the Polynesian islands would pretty much require you to know where they are beforehand.

But really the larger issue is

uPen posted:

You're dramatically underestimating how large the Pacific is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Atlantic has plenty of islands too. The whole idea is founded on false assumptions.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

The best route from China to America would be north along Japan riding the Kuroshio Current (Pacific version of the Gulf Stream), then down along Alaska and California. Island hopping along the Polynesian islands would pretty much require you to know where they are beforehand.

But really the larger issue is

That's very plausible, especially because the Chinese were really interested in furs and stuff that could be profitably exploited in the North Pacific. Historically the Russians took over that trade route, but an alt history scenario could have the Japanese or Koreans establishing it. Amusingly the Russians found native Alaskans loved Chinese coins, who valued them for aesthetic reasons sewing them onto clothes like beads, as a form of armor, or even just used them as a convenient medium of exchange. This has fueled a few crackpot theories as confused amateur archaeologist tried to explain cashes of hundreds of Chinese coins found buried in British Columbia, playing into that Chinese Treasure fleet nonsense.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You gotta admit, old Chinese coins look pretty rad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Squalid posted:

That's very plausible, especially because the Chinese were really interested in furs and stuff that could be profitably exploited in the North Pacific. Historically the Russians took over that trade route, but an alt history scenario could have the Japanese or Koreans establishing it. Amusingly the Russians found native Alaskans loved Chinese coins, who valued them for aesthetic reasons sewing them onto clothes like beads, as a form of armor, or even just used them as a convenient medium of exchange. This has fueled a few crackpot theories as confused amateur archaeologist tried to explain cashes of hundreds of Chinese coins found buried in British Columbia, playing into that Chinese Treasure fleet nonsense.

Yeah, I can see how East Asian sailors might easily follow the dominant currents and winds across the North Pacific, hugging coastline and island archipelagos much of the way (admittedly subarctic and artic, but hey it's land).

The issue would be getting back, where your only good option is following the trade winds east through the tropics. That works fine in the Atlantic, but the Pacific is several times as wide and good luck hitting any of the sparse, tiny islands without good maps and navigation tools.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 22, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Also the natives tend to eat any protein they come across.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Squalid posted:

Looked cool, too: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7881368071632574 and http://primaltrek.com/blog/2013/02/01/body-armor-made-of-old-chinese-coins/

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You shouldn't. It's nonsense written by a moron.

Sadly I've read some pretty widely respected academic historians talk about it like it's a real thing recently.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Let's be clear on the terminology here. The "treasure fleet" usually refers to Zhang He's exploration fleet, which was totally a real thing and awesome. The 1421 or whatever the gently caress book that was is the dumb America poo poo.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Grand Fromage posted:

Let's be clear on the terminology here. The "treasure fleet" usually refers to Zhang He's exploration fleet, which was totally a real thing and awesome. The 1421 or whatever the gently caress book that was is the dumb America poo poo.

I don't believe in his ship size, how about that. I'm sure Zhang He existed and went places but not in 400 foot wooden ships.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Maybe they just overestimated everything to feel better about themselves.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Personally, I sincerely hope we have a treasure fleet truther who thinks Zheng He never existed.

Like maybe it was all invented to cover up the truth about the ancient Corean empire? Ask questions.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zheng He was Korean

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

wikipedia on cabbage posted:

Russia has the highest annual per capita consumption at 20 kilograms (44 lb), followed by Belgium at 4.7 kilograms (10 lb), ...

I think now we all know the real new Rome.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

That's really unfair on Gavin Menzies. Have you tried his follow-up, 1434: The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's really unfair on Gavin Menzies. Have you tried his follow-up, 1434: The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance?

Please don't troll.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Holy loving poo poo that's a real book. Why?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
1465: The Year A Chinese Fleet Totally Went To The Moon And They Still Live There I Swear

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I'm sure this thread is aware Menzies also wrote a book claiming mariners from Atlantis discovered America in 2000BC. I don't know whether he singles out Bolivia as a likely colony, though, or whether New Jersey was already populated by romans at this point

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

Holy loving poo poo that's a real book. Why?

quote:

One thing that puzzled me when writing 1421 was the lack of curiosity among professional historians.

quote:

The Renaissance has traditionally been portrayed as a rebirth of the classical civilizations of Greece and Rome. It seems to me that time has come to reappraise this Eurocentric view of history. While the ideas of Greece and Rome played an important role in the Reanissance, I submit that the transfer of Chinese intellectual capital was the spark that set the Renaissancea ablaze.

quote:

The internet has revolutionized the historian's profession

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
1476: The Year China Totally Went To Alpha Centauri And They Live There Today And They Sent Me This Info By Telepathy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Menzies can't even speak or read Chinese, just FYI.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Menzies can't even speak or read Chinese, just FYI.

That's why he needed the space telepathy, obviously.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sbaldrick posted:

I don't believe in his ship size, how about that. I'm sure Zhang He existed and went places but not in 400 foot wooden ships.

Like everything else in China they were either 5,000 or 10,000.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the part about the internet is true, right now i'm going through muster rolls and googling german/bohemian/silesian city names all day to find out where the people in the muster rolls come from

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

fishmech posted:

That's why he needed the space telepathy, obviously.
but the space telepathy is also chinese, what then

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HEY GAL posted:

but the space telepathy is also chinese, what then

It's Serbian who took over China in 10,000 BC after defeating the Atlantians

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

It's Serbian who took over China in 10,000 BC after defeating the Atlantians

9,700 BC, once you correct for the phantom time hypothesis.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

P-Mack posted:

9,700 BC, once you correct for the phantom time hypothesis.

But how do the Templars tie in to all of this?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Serbian Templars went on to found Roman Egypt in the early 7000/6700s bc IDIOT

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The 'C' or Corean people later laid waste to it in revenge for the ancient wars with China

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope everybody had a good Saturnalia, and that nobody's slaves got too uppity when being served :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its definitely an authentic roman sword, because people have been making replicas of it and selling them on ebay

https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=us