Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stymie posted:

ios 10 is poo poo garbage for gently caress idiots and you should be ashamed of yourself if you install it
ios 10 is a combination of some really cool design decisions and unrelenting pandering to the snapchat crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cool deleted tweet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yippee cahier posted:

i was all ready to upgrade my 6 but it looks like apple hosed up their planned obsolescence

nah once you upgrade to 10 your battery will start "failing"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

lol messages.app background activity has consumed almost 40% of my battery in less than two hours

how'd you get apple stuff on your android?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Stymie posted:

it automatically sets your Favorites to Cow, Chicken and Dog so you can hear what they say

lomarf

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ufarn posted:

ios 10 is a combination of some really cool design decisions and unrelenting pandering to the snapchat crowd

It's terrible. The new music player is poo poo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

C.H.O.M.E posted:

they have to watch each of those get drawn line by line.

so if you sent a guy an animation of you just drawing circles for 20 minutes

or drawing a dot and then six hours later drawing another dot

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
gj tim

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ahmeni posted:

really like this improvement to podcasts.app where it randomly crashes a lot more

I love how overcast has ads now

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

jfc

also thanks for that terrible click

quote:

Did you update your phone to iOS 10 recently? I sure hope not—it’s a goddamn nightmare. But for those of you that didn’t heed my warning, should you decide to search the default (default!) GIF library for the word “butt,” you’ll find a sultry My Little Pony doing what no My Little Pony should ever do.

Clearly Apple didn’t think its censorship techniques through all the way. Try searching “tits” or “dick,” for instance, and you’ll get nothing, so it’s safe to assume Apple decided just to block those entirely. “Butt,” however, appears to have made it through. And since Apple is probably pulling from GIF storehouses like Giphy, whatever those storehouses let through, Apple lets through. Which means Apple just sent a cartoon pony vagina to millions of phones nationwide.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GameCube posted:

sorry, it's true. Microsoft beat them to the punch when they saw the tide turn against skeumorphism with their clean, Modern design, and Apple is still playing catch-up.

I don't get why people objected to this so strongly because it is objectively true

Apple was obsessed with making their designs look like real objects and materials, MS was like "what if we just used colors and boxes instead", and then Apple started doing it too. That is the timeline of events. People are just having trouble with the idea of Apple not being ON THE BLEEDING EDGE of every single thing all the time because that doesn't jive with their internal narrative

e:

flakeloaf posted:

jfc

also thanks for that terrible click

so I was just typing the word 'butt' in every possible search box on my phone, y'know, like normal people do, and then suddenly,

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I don't get why people objected to this so strongly because it is objectively true

Apple was obsessed with making their designs look like real objects and materials, MS was like "what if we just used colors and boxes instead", and then Apple started doing it too. That is the timeline of events. People are just having trouble with the idea of Apple not being ON THE BLEEDING EDGE of every single thing all the time because that doesn't jive with their internal narrative

i think you get why people objected to it

Apr 7, 2003

loquacius posted:

e:

so I was just typing the word 'butt' in every possible search box on my phone, y'know, like normal people do, and then suddenly,

A slightly older interface paradigm done well looks a lot better than a "cutting edge" interface implemented poorly.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

loquacius posted:

well, not exactly. it's pretty well-known that people inside apple, esp jony wanted to get rid of real objects/materials for a while but until jobs and forestall were gone, it couldn't happen.

turns out jobs and forstall were right.

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

the music app is better proof: I'll actually use it now

The UI is objectively worse. Why would you ever want a music player you need to scroll to use important functions, as opposed to a music player where everything is neatly on one screen?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wonder if my skudomorphist tendencies/preferences are just a relic of me having being raised (ever-so-slightly) before everything got computerized.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

A slightly older interface paradigm done well looks a lot better than a "cutting edge" interface implemented poorly.

I'm not really sure what your point is here but you do realize that for a graphic design to be "cutting edge" it has to look good, right? If you try doing something new and it looks bad, no one else will start doing it, and then it's not the next big thing, it's just bad design. Why do you think Apple adopted the Modern design if not because it looked good?

Last Chance posted:

well, not exactly. it's pretty well-known that people inside apple, esp jony wanted to get rid of real objects/materials for a while but until jobs and forestall were gone, it couldn't happen.

turns out jobs and forstall were right.

Oh okay well then it doesn't count :downs:

you don't get to give them credit for things they didn't do just because the company consists of more than one person

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

zen death robot posted:

the leather looking calendar was horrible
its beautiful

loquacius posted:

Oh okay well then it doesn't count :downs:

you don't get to give them credit for things they didn't do just because the company consists of more than one person

i wouldnt put it past ms to have listened to the rumors about the infighting in apple and just made a bet on flat poo poo because that's what apple was arguing about.

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

that's because you have the tinyphone

If you aren't going to properly support multiple display sizes, don't release multiple display sizes. The update is objectively worse for the iPhone SE, i.e., the normal sized phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

i wouldnt put it past ms to have listened to the rumors about the infighting in apple and just made a bet on flat poo poo because that's what apple was arguing about.

you realize this is some :tinfoil: poo poo, right

MS is a large company with a lot of different internal voices of its own, and they can afford to hire good graphic designers every once in a while too. You're abusing the poo poo out of Occam's razor because the idea that maybe a good idea came from outside Apple one time is so anathema to you you'd rather invent a conspiracy theory.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Last Chance posted:

its beautiful

siri cancel my appointment with mike

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm kinda surprised there's no skeumorphic replacement apps on the app store for people who just really miss forstall's vision

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

once I clicked "install overnight" or whatever it was and it didn't so gently caress it now I just click later and have to do that every single day. sick of this poo poo

Just hit Install, dude. pretty soon you won't be able to install iOS 9.3.5, and then you'll have to plug your phone into your computer and do a full install of iOS 10 via iTunes and that'll take way longer.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Jony Ive should never have been allowed to redesign the iOS interface, and it was immediately obvious he was out of his element.

still...

Last Chance posted:

it was also rumored that Apple was going to call their new UI design "Modern", and then all of a sudden MS completely drops calling their new interface Metro (for the flimsiest of reasons) and starts calling it Modern before Apple can get their new interface out. Hmmm... :tinfoil:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Last Chance posted:

its beautiful

also Putin and Trump are poisoning Hillary

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
just LOL my goddamn rear end off if you use the built in podcasts app.

just use overcast and give former SA goon marco arment your $1.99 (or whatever it is to get rid of ads and get Smart Speed)

or castro or downcast or one of the 8 million other podcast apps

edit: like, it's super embarrassing for Apple that their podcast app sucks so bad, but it's probably bad because nobody uses it except the people who work on it and so it doesn't get tested well enough during the betas.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 15, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zen death robot posted:

the normal size phone is the 6s/7 now

i love my 6s+

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mr. Nice! posted:

i love my dead gay phone

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

the normal size phone is the 6s/7 now

The normal size phone is the one that fits in a front pants pocket.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

iOS 10 looks worse in both subtle and obvious ways.

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

life passed you by

A phone is a tool to do things, not a life. lol that's some iyg poo poo right there

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Puppy Galaxy posted:

iOS 10 looks worse in both subtle and obvious ways.

incorrect

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's terrible. The new music player is poo poo.

new music player seems way more functional though?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I promise you guys Microsoft does not base their internal decisions on an extensive Apple espionage campaign, Jesus Christ

flakeloaf posted:

siri cancel my appointment with mike

lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Puppy Galaxy posted:

not hard

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

The normal size phone is the one that fits in a front pants pocket.

my iPhone 6 fits comfortably in my front pants pocket. the music app looks and works just fine on it. prob just fine on 4" phones too

Apr 7, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

In what ways is the new music player more functional?

Apr 7, 2003

Doc Block posted:

my iPhone 6 fits comfortably in my front pants pocket. the music app looks and works just fine on it. prob just fine on 4" phones too

Waist and inseam size, please.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

loquacius posted:

I promise you guys Microsoft does not base their internal decisions on an extensive Apple espionage campaign, Jesus Christ

lol so i'm guessing you haven't been in tech very long. welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

lol so i'm guessing you haven't been in tech very long. welcome

They did give me an illuminati orientation pamphlet with my first offer but I just threw it away. Man, I could be a full-fledged lizard person by now. Missed opportunity. :sigh:

• Locked thread