Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Sort of. She was more about pointing out how stupid the light/dark side of the Force is. The game is pretty stupid in a way in how it arbitrary splits force powers between light and dark side and it calls itself out on it.

Basically the Force is just the Force, no light or dark side, just people using it for good or bad.

I struggle to think of "good" ways Force Lightning/Choke could be used, other than the obvious cop out of "if you use them to kill bad people, it's not bad" which seems like some :thunk: logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

oohhboy posted:

Sort of. She was more about pointing out how stupid the light/dark side of the Force is. The game is pretty stupid in a way in how it arbitrary splits force powers between light and dark side and it calls itself out on it.

Basically the Force is just the Force, no light or dark side, just people using it for good or bad.

Its in the game as a light dark split because that is just one of the fundamental aspects of Star Wars. If the powers were all neutral than Kreia wouldn't have anything to complain about. This is a game that makes your experience points a major plot point. Genre and game conventions need to be present so they can be called out.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

I struggle to think of "good" ways Force Lightning/Choke could be used, other than the obvious cop out of "if you use them to kill bad people, it's not bad" which seems like some :thunk: logic.

That's because it is stupid/bad. Choke is just a different use of force push/pull/telekinesis. It's an explicit power because "Vadar did it".

Lightning is just energy manipulation. Same thing as above because "Emperor did it". It could be microwaves or heat or light.

The force is amoral was what it was trying to get across.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A bunch of filthy Force heretics in this thread. SMDH.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I don't want to watch any more movies about people being hypnotized by space Draculas.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

That's because it is stupid/bad. Choke is just a different use of force push/pull/telekinesis. It's an explicit power because "Vadar did it".

Lightning is just energy manipulation. Same thing as above because "Emperor did it". It could be microwaves or heat or light.

The force is amoral was what it was trying to get across.

Okay, good point.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Its in the game as a light dark split because that is just one of the fundamental aspects of Star Wars. If the powers were all neutral than Kreia wouldn't have anything to complain about. This is a game that makes your experience points a major plot point. Genre and game conventions need to be present so they can be called out.

Kriea hassles you beyond light/dark side. She bugs you about you helping starving kids and all sorts of other small things. You do good thing and she tears you down for it. You kill bad guy and she questions your intentions. You do bad thing she praises your decisiveness. All to push you towards being amoral to be like her transcending light/dark side.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Jack is "I'm ok with my kids smoking weed in the house" weed friendly.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

HoAssHo posted:

That new Han Solo isn't even hot what the gently caress

He's like 5'6". A manlet, like Jay. So you're right.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

He was great in Hail Caesar, and he has the same sort of charm Harrison Ford did before the overwhelming weight of being successful and loved turned him into a prick.

naem
May 29, 2011

Harrison ford and his sarcastic performance made Star Wars what it is and I doubt they're going to recapture that in 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

oohhboy posted:

Kriea hassles you beyond light/dark side. She bugs you about you helping starving kids and all sorts of other small things. You do good thing and she tears you down for it. You kill bad guy and she questions your intentions. You do bad thing she praises your decisiveness. All to push you towards being amoral to be like her transcending light/dark side.

She doesn't want you to agree with her, she wants you to understand her philosophy. She lies to you throughout the entire game and if you are clever enough you can call her out for it. She hates wanton cruelty and arbitrary altruism because they do nothing for yourself, which she feels is imperative. If you do act, it needs to be for your own benefit, weakening others to strengthen yourself. View the whole galaxy as expendable so long as you use them for yourself, but not to rely on anyone else for your strength. That is why she is impressed if you reject strength that you did not come to on your own, or if you view her as expendable as much as anyone else.

Every act of kindness must have a motive, just as every cruelty must as well. Help those who in turn are in your debt, thereby giving you power to manipulate them. Cause harm if it will set in motions events to achieve what you want, not just being a prick for the hell of it. Sell war refugees into slavery to attract attention of major players who can help you, and then hold your bargaining chips over them so that they too bend to your will to achieve your ultimate goal.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 21, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
KOTOR2 is literally the best star wars story ever told so lmfao if you didn't like it because Kreia called you a dumbass every 5 minutes in the game.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

She doesn't want you to agree with her, she wants you to understand her philosophy.

err what? I will just assume bad grammar or something. I agree with you with the rest of it. Push comes to shove she is trying to get you to become amoral, to do things (You want) by any means necessary.

But a lot of players don't want that, they want to be boy scout Superman while the people who play dark side plays it for shits and giggles and to see how the game treats you when to kick a dog. The force point system promotes this and gives no way out for the player even if they do agree with her.

Last time I played it must be at least 15 years ago so back then I wasn't as perceptive as I am now at spotting how manipulative she is hence me shaking my fist at her at the time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arcsquad12 posted:

She doesn't want you to agree with her, she wants you to understand her philosophy. She lies to you throughout the entire game and if you are clever enough you can call her out for it. She hates wanton cruelty and arbitrary altruism because they do nothing for yourself, which she feels is imperative. If you do act, it needs to be for your own benefit, weakening others to strengthen yourself. View the whole galaxy as expendable so long as you use them for yourself, but not to rely on anyone else for your strength. That is why she is impressed if you reject strength that you did not come to on your own, or if you view her as expendable as much as anyone else.

Every act of kindness must have a motive, just as every cruelty must as well. Help those who in turn are in your debt, thereby giving you power to manipulate them. Cause harm if it will set in motions events to achieve what you want, not just being a prick for the hell of it. Sell war refugees into slavery to attract attention of major players who can help you, and then hold your bargaining chips over them so that they too bend to your will to achieve your ultimate goal.

Space Rand?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Space Rand?

Yes and I think she got raped somewhere.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

KOTOR2 is literally the best star wars story ever told so lmfao if you didn't like it because Kreia called you a dumbass every 5 minutes in the game.

Didn't the first one have that badass twist ending? I can't remember because I haven't played it in forever because it looks like rear end now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't the first one have that badass twist ending? I can't remember because I haven't played it in forever because it looks like rear end now.

Yes KOTOR 1 is also really good, I actually did an LP on it, it's why I joined SA.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

oohhboy posted:

err what? I will just assume bad grammar or something. I agree with you with the rest of it.

I mean that she doesn't want you to agree with her just because that's what she wants to hear. Taking her at face value just reinforces her insult that Jedi "hear but do not listen." She's not looking for agreement, she is looking for udnerstanding and how that can be applied to your life rather than what she wants.
Of course at the same time she is playing a gigantic con on you to draw both the Sith and Jedi out of hiding so she can annihilate both of them before reactivating a superweapon to kill 99% of life in the known universe in an attempt to kill fate itself. But stopping her plan for the right reasons earns her respect as much as continuing her plan in the dark side ending.

Putting the first game and second game next to each other is super jarring in how vastly different the presentation is for both. Whenever I boot up KOTOR 1 I get this soothing feeling of nostalgia which I think was built into the game's atmosphere, while KOTOR 2 is so openly hostile and oppressive that you'd get whiplash playing them back to back.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

I am a bit vague on what happened but surprise! you are bad guy but now you have a choice to be good because you had lost your memory. Then Star Forge something explosion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

I am a bit vague on what happened but surprise! you are bad guy but now you have a choice to be good because you had lost your memory. Then Star Forge something explosion.

Yeah that was cool. Someone should go back and put some more pixels in it so it's playable again.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Schweinhund posted:

He's like 5'6". A manlet, like Jay. So you're right.

Hmm. Actually it sounds like I was wrong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that was cool. Someone should go back and put some more pixels in it so it's playable again.

It's perfectly fine, it looks like an original Xbox game, cause it was one.

Seriously, KOTOR is great, play it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I actually just played the first one again recently, it was cool getting a history lesson on the tusken raiders

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

We don't need a special edition of a great video game.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

Jack is "I'm ok with my kids smoking weed in the house" weed friendly.

Jack is "Oh you're smoking cigarettes? Let me go buy you some weed."

"drat your the best dad!"

"We dont swear in this house"

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was blind sided by the Big Reveal in KOTOR I thought it was great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

It's perfectly fine, it looks like an original Xbox game, cause it was one.

Seriously, KOTOR is great, play it.

Nah it's ugly now. Needs a new coat of paint.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

HK-47 is bae

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FrensaGeran posted:

HK-47 is bae

I loved doing the dark side path and then after a mission talking to him so he could tell me what a good job of killing I did.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In SA movie news, noted idiot poster supermechagodzilla finally ate a probation for being a smug shitlord, CineD is rioting over this fact

Gorn Myson posted:

This forum is dying because its gotten more and more boring and just banning people because they are smug isn't really helping that. We're going to get to the point where CD is no different from your bang average comment section on Facebook on any website.

I know we've been critical of CineD here before but this is kinda highlighting the problem people have with it if people come out in droves to defend Zizek Mc Philosophy Student eating a temporary probation.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate SMG with the fury of an orb touched by Trump.

But seriously the guy is a bull poo poo machine made sentient. I don't know where he finds the time. He is one of the reasons I don't go in to CD, everybody laps his poo poo up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

I hate SMG with the fury of an orb touched by Trump.

But seriously the guy is a bull poo poo machine made sentient. I don't know where he finds the time. He is one of the reasons I don't go in to CD, everybody laps his poo poo up.

It's insane the cult that has built up around the guy. One time he admitted he hadn't even seen the movie he had been discussing for pages and pages and no one gave a gently caress.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think SMG should be banned. Being a smug idiot is not a bannable offense.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Space Crabs posted:

In SA movie news, noted idiot poster supermechagodzilla finally ate a probation for being a smug shitlord, CineD is rioting over this fact

I know we've been critical of CineD here before but this is kinda highlighting the problem people have with it if people come out in droves to defend Zizek Mc Philosophy Student eating a temporary probation.

Oh my god, he was banned for talking about one of stupidest, most cynically made movies I've seen in ages, Alien: Covenant.

Perfect.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Yug posted:

I don't think SMG should be banned. Being a smug idiot is not a bannable offense.

I mean yeah you would say that

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I don't think SMG should be banned.

Or is that MSG.

MGS?

Lemmie take this back to the lab actually I have no fuckin idea what we're talking about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CineD will be interesting now

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Isn't SMG just a gimmick account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a cam version of alien covenant and couldn't make it through half of the movie. I got to when the little CGI alien broke through the quarantine glass window and decided I really didn't give a gently caress any more.

• Locked thread