Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I've been playing through the Dark Souls series for the first time after beating Bloodborne. I beat DS1 on the 360 Wednesday night.

I booted up the PS4 version of 2, Scholars of the First Sin. It runs smoothly, and hasn't become a power point presentation yet. I'm weirded out and terrified a bit :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Enjoy playing the the only Souls game that doesn't have a terrible frame rate on consoles

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ds2 runs at 60 fps on ps4 I think? it had a really well optimized pc port as well. I know that game's hit or miss with people, but it runs better than the rest of the series for sure

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I like my sub 30 fps bloodsouls.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Fix posted:

Everything.

As in the game called Everything.

If you like chill games then Everything is amazing. It's also surprisingly deep with the philosophy stuff.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fix posted:

lol I forgot there was a game called that.

vvvvvv owns a lot

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god. Boyfriend convinced me to try Netflix because even though I don't watch a lot of television, Brooklyn Nine Nine is on there and the full Person of Interest is as well, c'mon fairy be a dear. :buddy:

I'm hooked. Didn't think there was that much on the bloody thing. What's the catch? :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It costs money.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It costs money and sometimes stuff disappears off it unexpectedly. But yeah, it's the future of media distribution.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eh, it's less than what my WoW subscription would've cost. I've been waiting for new episodes of Person of Interest each week, like some sort of chump. :saddowns:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Netflix was cool for a few months but eventually I'd watched enough xfiles and food documentaries and now I just open it up and flip through the selections and wonder what went wrong.

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm hooked. Didn't think there was that much on the bloody thing. What's the catch? :v:

I want this feeling back.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have subscribed to Netflix for a decade out of habit. I honestly think it has been a year since I watched anything on it, when did Daredevil season 2 come out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We've been keeping up on the Marvel shows (except Iron Fist since everyone panned it) and keep meaning to get around to the latest Sherlock and Black Mirror but there's just so much good TV these days.

Kimmy Schmidt is back now though, so it's all worthwhile.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

v1ld posted:

Agreed. And the words said matter. HZD has engaging, interesting writing. Best since FoNV, which it easily surpasses because no need for mods. Which in turn is the real reason you always loving buy the PC version first, mouse aiming being better notwithstanding. I love my PS4 Pro but I'm always going to check if the console version has a reason for purchase beyond exclusivity.

Funny enough, HZD shares its lead writer, John Gonzalez, with New Vegas. As far as I'm concerned, the guy is up there at Avellone level now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Netflix doesnt have a good movie selection and i cant get into the long form dramatic shows anymore either now that the genre is getting so ubiquitous, so it was down to documentaries or comedy specials and i aint subscribing for that. Maybe when a i have a 3 year old it'll be worth it for the kids shows sans toy commercials.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My Netflix sub is basically entirely so my niece can watch stuff if she's here :/

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its so bad that when I see popular movies like a Captain America I'm shocked. Forgot it started as a good movie streaming service and turned into bullshit and some good originals.

But drat they got some real good originals. You mother fuckers see them Stranger Things? Good poo poo.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Man, I've had an active Netflix subscription since like 2004 when it was DVDs through mail only. Was how I watched all my teenage anime.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

When Netflix demonstrated that it was more interested in redundant, low quality licensed television programming over maintaining a decent film catalogue I was out faster than you can say 'Microcosmos'.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It was also annoying when I was on season 6 of Cosby show and they take it off, then all of a sudden he had raped a bunch of people, so, pretty rude.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

When Netflix demonstrated that it was more interested in redundant, low quality licensed television programming over maintaining a decent film catalogue I was out faster than you can say 'Microcosmos'.
To Netflix's defense, that's not exactly their call. I'm sure they would love to offer everything. When streaming was first taking off, big networks thought it mostly a joke and let streaming companies have it for a reasonable price "because why would anyone want to watch a movie on their laptop/pc instead of buying our awesome $20 platinum dvds??? Simply madness, no one will not want own our great movies!"

Now that it's a huge marketshare, all media owners think their shows/movies are ~special snowflakes~ and now that streaming is significantly eating too much into dvd/br sales they absolutely hate that, so now they jack up the price and want insane demands, or decide they want to own their own streaming service and offer it through some lovely duct-taped service of their own, and eventually Netflix goes "nope can't afford that" or ends up going to Hulu or something which is willing to offer significantly more over "Exclusive!" contracts to try to win users for their own service

Netflix has done pretty well by keeping prices really pretty drat low at $8/$10 and likely don't want to jack it up to $15-$20 a month for everyone to keep paying for increasingly-costly licensing. I guess one thing they could do is a "cheap tier" and "extra show tier" for another +$10 to try to do it, but they might assume they'll lose more customers doing that. There's a big reason they're trying to push original content so much past few years because of companies trying to get greedier with their content.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 19, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

You forgot the exclusive streaming agreements too. gently caress that poo poo so much.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Netflix streaming was only good at the outset because Starz licensed their entire library to them for beans. Once that contract was up, the value of streaming movies was obvious and Starz wanted a larger cut and Netflix balked and started investing in producing their own content. Thus the streaming wars began.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Yep that's another part is Hulu vs Amazon Prime etc trying to get exclusive agreements and will offer a lot more for one show or another so all the different shows get divided around piecemeal.

I do think netflix could probably raise their fee to $15/month if it meant being able to afford more licensed content without losing too many users, but it's a pretty lovely slippery slope one way or another.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, Hulu is owned by a consortium of the TV networks which are part of the same major media conglomerates that own the film studios, which is why you're seeing more films migrate to that. The studios prefer the digital rental/purchase model rather than the buffet-style all access though.

Netflix ramped up their original programming and straight-up buying independent films and series so they can own the rights because they knew the studios would do this

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

limaCAT posted:

What is the best PS4 game to play on weed? Rez VR?

i think rez vr is probably better to play while high but also i think that call of duty is the best game to play while high so that you can finally truly understand it

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, Hulu is owned by a consortium of the TV networks which are part of the same major media conglomerates that own the film studios, which is why you're seeing more films migrate to that. The studios prefer the digital rental/purchase model rather than the buffet-style all access though.

Netflix ramped up their original programming and straight-up buying independent films and series so they can own the rights because they knew the studios would do this

back when buffy the vampire slayer was on both hulu and netflix, netflix had the shittier cuts. network wars are weird.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 19, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've been researching really loving hard and I've yet to find a PS4 game that is bad to play while high.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

acksplode posted:

I've been researching really loving hard and I've yet to find a PS4 game that is bad to play while high.

the witness?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Witness is confirmed good, at least for getting all the lasers. Can't say anything for the endgame challenges in that cave or whatever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

Does it just make you not care you keep dying in bloodborne.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Challenge felt really good to complete. It took me checking in on the game three times a day for two weeks but it was great to finally do it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Netflix has Kimmy Schmidt, Maria Bamford's show, Marvel TV shows, Stranger Things, and original comedy specials so I don't mind paying the $8 a month or whatever. I don't have cable though so between it and Hulu and HBO I got all the good tv covered for a lot less than what they charge for cable tv here.

Oh yeah also all the Star Trek and old sci fi

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah Stranger Things is cool. I think that's the only thing I've watched on it in the past 12 months lol.
Well that and half the Doom movie

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Also Bojack Horseman

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The netflix marvel stuff has been mostly good too. I'm pretty hype for the Punisher series.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Xaris posted:

Also Bojack Horseman

This.

Infamous could be fun on weed. Or Saint's Row.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah Stranger Things is cool. I think that's the only thing I've watched on it in the past 12 months lol.
Well that and half the Doom movie

Stranger Things is like the one IP that I'd want to see in a Telltale-style game but I think TT themselves would probably screw it up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Netflix is largely poo poo, it always has been. I just have it because my whole family mooches it. That said, being able to have four streamers or whatever it is on the more "expensive" plan that's like $12 or w/e isn't a bad deal

Plus, yeah, Stranger Things

Waiting until October 😭😭

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bombadilillo posted:

Does it just make you not care you keep dying in bloodborne.

I was getting wrecked by Paarl and I sadly fired up bloodborne to try and beat it, only to discover that I had beaten it and a done a bunch of other poo poo whilst blazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

JBP posted:

I was getting wrecked by Paarl and I sadly fired up bloodborne to try and beat it, only to discover that I had beaten it and a done a bunch of other poo poo whilst blazed.

I did that back in my days with halo on legendary.