Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yep. Any Dainese TR- or Torque boot is going to have proper lateral support. If you have a wide foot you're poo poo out of luck, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

I'm kind of in the same boat. "What boots with lateral protection come in a size 37?" lmfao, none. SMX + is as close as I'll be able to get.

e: I take it back, I managed to get a pair of TCX RS2 in a 38 that work well enough when the airbag is fully inflated. They're discontinued though, so I'm SOL if I ever break them.

I have heard that pregnancy often causes a woman's foot to get larger. Just have a few kids and your motorcycle footwear options will dramatically improve!

If only guys had it so easy. :rolleye:

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
If anyone's been looking for a sick rear end helmet your search is over: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/5369951420.html

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

M42 posted:

^ Agreed about the smx plus vs smx 6. BTW your av rules, ancienttv

-Inu- posted:

Depends what you're looking for in a boot. More details?

re: lateral ankle movement. SMX6 will fold over with practically no effort, but the SMX-Pluses will fold as well. I used to be a huge SMX+ advocate, but these days I tend to recommend Dainese boots because they have true lateral ankle protection. I don't know about the Nexus as I haven't had my hands on them, but looking at the way the bracing is designed, I'd wager that they will fold over like a SMX+.

Don't get me wrong - I fully understand that not everyone can afford to buy a Supertech R, Axial Pro In, Mag-1, Security Evo, etc. and I certainly understand the market for mid-range boots. I just wish more of them had true lateral bracing.

What version of the SMX+ are you referring to? My older squeaky ones definitely had some flex, but I feel like the amount of fold on the newer ones is pretty much within acceptable ranges. Although tbh I haven't tried to bend them since I bought them so I could be remembering incorrectly.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

AncientTV posted:

What version of the SMX+ are you referring to? My older squeaky ones definitely had some flex, but I feel like the amount of fold on the newer ones is pretty much within acceptable ranges. Although tbh I haven't tried to bend them since I bought them so I could be remembering incorrectly.
All versions. I can take a picture once I'm back from lunch.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Verge posted:

Not that I'm trying to downplay the struggle that I don't understand but would a sports bra alleviate this boob issue?

:swoon:

Oh my god, you're adorable.

And the answer is nope.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Dunno too much about boots, I got a pair of Daytona M-Stars and I swear I could die happy in them.

Any opinions about gauntlet gloves? I got a pair of Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 heated gauntlets and wired them up. They're fantastic for cold weather but the gauntlet style makes it a huge pain in the rear end to wear over my Dainese jacket (and I think I got them a size too large), and I can't return it because I've already hard-wired the 12v controller into my bike. I'm thinking of getting a pair of the Gyde by Gerbing 12v Heros, since it has a short cuff and armored knuckles, but I don't know if I should just be getting used to the gauntlets instead. (Also, I'm assuming I can use the Tourmaster power harness for Gerbing gear since it all seems like the same kind of poo poo as far as the wiring goes.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lynza posted:

And the answer is nope.

I thought as much.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Lynza posted:

And the answer is nope.

:laffo: I just noticed that. Oh my sweet summer child...

e: I'm actually trying to figure out what verge thought the problem was

M42 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 22, 2015

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Lynza posted:

And the answer is nope.

Oh you like that? Let me sing you some poetry, my dear.

Shall I compare thee to a marginalized minority?
Garments never fit, you're never taken seriously, outside your sorority.
Fear not, m'lady, I know my place;
I'll bring you flowers and give you your space.
This nice guy's(tm) privilege is thoroughly checked;
I'll ride bitch on your hog if mine is wrecked.

Slavvy posted:

I thought as much.

Frankly, I'm surprised and thought I was being some kind of super-genius solving the world's problems 2 cups at a time.

M42 posted:

:laffo: I just noticed that. Oh my sweet summer child...

e: I'm actually trying to figure out what verge thought the problem was

Wait, seriously? I thought we were talking about tits and motorcycle gear. Are we talking about something else? Are you all talkin' about sports and I'm just here jabbering on and on about the struggle to find a jacket that fits a woman's tits?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge is your helmet shaped like your boots so you can stick your foot in your mouth whilst riding?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Verge is your helmet shaped like your boots so you can stick your foot in your mouth whilst riding?

I mean, I'm flexible enough but it's way too big for the view port.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm surprised Verge needs a helmet at all. I would have thought his head would be well protected considering how far up his own rear end it is.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Verge posted:

Not that I'm trying to downplay the struggle that I don't understand but would a sports bra alleviate this boob issue?

Goon misunderstands how women work, news at 11.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Verge posted:

Oh you like that? Let me sing you some poetry, my dear.

Shall I compare thee to a marginalized minority?
Garments never fit, you're never taken seriously, outside your sorority.
Fear not, m'lady, I know my place;
I'll bring you flowers and give you your space.
This nice guy's(tm) privilege is thoroughly checked;
I'll ride bitch on your hog if mine is wrecked.

Frankly, I'm surprised and thought I was being some kind of super-genius solving the world's problems 2 cups at a time.

Wait, seriously? I thought we were talking about tits and motorcycle gear. Are we talking about something else? Are you all talkin' about sports and I'm just here jabbering on and on about the struggle to find a jacket that fits a woman's tits?

Holy poo poo quoting so you can't edit.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

can someone please alleviate my boob issues

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Marxalot posted:

Goon misunderstands how women work, news at 11.

Err, yeah, I don't have tits. I figured flattening them would be like an adapter into men's jackets. My girl just doesn't wear a jacket when she rides but she has pretty big knockers and a risk-embracing attitude similar to mine.

Marxalot posted:

Holy poo poo quoting so you can't edit.

I was making a joke. Did you not see "nice guy(tm)"?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It's the best troll since Human 2.0.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Slavvy posted:

And everything has flowers and butterflies and other Barbie bullshit on it, at least in the shops here.

:negative:

also I got my CRF250 today and already managed to get the middle finger from & followed by an angry (lonely & sad) fat guy in an Accord. :iiam:

e: I actually have *no* idea why, either.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wait is he actually adorable though? Was that sarcasm? Goons need to know.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Dunno, just saw shiny bald head & a fat, stubby middle finger. I'm assuming he's disgusting, would not smash/10

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Well I'm 5'7 and ride a tiny Harley I'm more adorable than a little brother with a speech impediment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

:negative:

also I got my CRF250 today and already managed to get the middle finger from & followed by an angry (lonely & sad) fat guy in an Accord. :iiam:

e: I actually have *no* idea why, either.

Is your bike red? I have a theory about this.

Verge posted:

My girl just doesn't wear a jacket when she rides but she has pretty big knockers and a risk-embracing attitude similar to mine.

Headline: busty motorcycle rider killed during botched overtaking manoeuvre.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Dunno, just saw shiny bald head & a fat, stubby middle finger. I'm assuming he's disgusting, would not smash/10

But enough about verge, tell us about the accord guy.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Is your bike red? I have a theory about this.

But enough about verge, tell us about the accord guy.

White/red yes. I literally did nothing offensive in any way.. Maybe existing was my problem.

also yes I was describing the Accord guy, or were you lowkey burning the poo poo out of Verge?

is Verge a fat bald guy with stubby, chunky fingers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

White/red yes. I literally did nothing offensive in any way.. Maybe existing was my problem.

Lemme tell you a story...

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Lemme tell you a story...

:allears:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Tactical Lesbian posted:

also yes I was describing the Accord guy, or were you lowkey burning the poo poo out of Verge?

is Verge a fat bald guy with stubby, chunky fingers?

I'm not but you're right, it was a burn on me; people assume I'm fat because I ride <-- that thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Once upon a time Slavvy had a very noisy ninja 1000. This is a bike that would do 160km/h in first so it seemed reasonable for me to come down my street at ~50 in first gear. My neighbour had other ideas and decided that giving me a lecture wasn't enough, so she proceeded to stalk me on my commute to 'catch me in the act'. This drama dragged on for a couple of weeks, the cops got involved, I got a ticket and a bunch of sternly worded (and often nonsensical) warnings over the phone, one of which was to tell me that I'd been 'spotted' riding a red dirtbike over a footbridge near my house despite my having no red bikes or dirt bikes.

Meanwhile her family were no more than a month ago rolling around on illegal quads, blotto as anything, with their little kids sitting helmetless in their laps up and down the street like it ain't no thang. Along with her meth addict nephew/son who routinely takes a barely-functioning 50cc Chinese pit bike to the shops down the road.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Once upon a time Slavvy had a very noisy ninja 1000. This is a bike that would do 160km/h in first so it seemed reasonable for me to come down my street at ~50 in first gear. My neighbour had other ideas and decided that giving me a lecture wasn't enough, so she proceeded to stalk me on my commute to 'catch me in the act'. This drama dragged on for a couple of weeks, the cops got involved, I got a ticket and a bunch of sternly worded (and often nonsensical) warnings over the phone, one of which was to tell me that I'd been 'spotted' riding a red dirtbike over a footbridge near my house despite my having no red bikes or dirt bikes.

Meanwhile her family were no more than a month ago rolling around on illegal quads, blotto as anything, with their little kids sitting helmetless in their laps up and down the street like it ain't no thang. Along with her meth addict nephew/son who routinely takes a barely-functioning 50cc Chinese pit bike to the shops down the road.

What the gently caress? I'd say your neighbors sound like Americans, but I had an R1 with a shorty pipe on it (see: loud as gently caress) and nobody complained to me. What kind of ticket did you get for that?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

FWIW, my friend just wrecked her harley wearing no more protective gear than an Alpinestars Vika jacket and a Reevu helmet, 50mph into a median. Both held up admirably She's okay minus a hosed up knee and a bruised rib and my insistence that she never disobeys ATGATT again.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Squirrel Burger posted:

FWIW, my friend just wrecked her harley wearing no more protective gear than an Alpinestars Vika jacket and a Reevu helmet, 50mph into a median. Both held up admirably She's okay minus a hosed up knee and a bruised rib and my insistence that she never disobeys ATGATT again.

No gloves or boots? gently caress that noise! Rocks and shifting hurts!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tactical Lesbian posted:

What the gently caress? I'd say your neighbors sound like Americans, but I had an R1 with a shorty pipe on it (see: loud as gently caress) and nobody complained to me. What kind of ticket did you get for that?

My neighbors didn't even care when another neighbor got drunk and fired ~200 rounds into the 'woods' across the street. I think slavvy should consider living/partying with Mexicans.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I actually got a few things threatened at me but in the end they just pinged me on having expired tax on the zx10 because I wasn't actually doing anything wrong and I guess they realised that in the end.

Also got a stern recommendation from a cop, over the phone, that when it rains I should consider alternative transport because it's really dangerous!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Wait a minute.....:siren: Motorcycles are dangerous?!?!?●■●■■●:siren:

:aaaaa:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Except for the wet underwear thing, my FZ6 handles rain better than my stupid 01 Ranger. It can't turn without losing the rear, and the brakes are scary on that loving thing.

Also it's a 4L V6 so flooring it makes it burn out at 40-50 because lol pickups suck at things that aren't carrying other things.

e: That or Yokohama Geolandars suck rear end, idk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Driving my turdcel is now just a montage of understeer, dismay and my missus telling me to stop hurting the car.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Shimrod posted:

A chin curtain, pinlock and internal visor are the mandatory things in a helmet for me, for what its worth.

Strangely enough, I manage to get fog in between my visor and pinlock. (Shoei GT Air)

Just a small spot though. Pinlock is effing awesome. So is my GT Air, its expensive as gently caress but 300% worth it as a helmet.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

nitrogen posted:

Strangely enough, I manage to get fog in between my visor and pinlock. (Shoei GT Air)

Just a small spot though. Pinlock is effing awesome. So is my GT Air, its expensive as gently caress but 300% worth it as a helmet.

Yeah, I had that too. It's been flooding here for the last couple weeks and it's just constantly wet, so I'm not too surprised.

If you pop out the pinlock, clean the inside of your visor and the pinlock well, then dry them, you should be right as (no) rain again.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My pinlock forms to the visor after a few months, losing the tension that makes it seal properly. I have to take it out and put some heavy books on it to flatten it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I get the same thing on the GT Air pinlock, but it usually takes some heavy conditions. One thing that worked last year which I should do again is using that little bottle of silicone oil they give you for the main gasket on the gasket of the pinlock.

My first one also just didnt seat all the way in because the silicone gasket on the pinlock was uneven. I showed it to the dealer I bought it from and they just grabbed a new one for me. Then they noticed a bunch were like that.

I do have one of the earliest GT Airs, and when I spoke to their guy at the motorcycle show last year he said the first ones out had a thinner gasket (which was why mine was whistling at high speed) and they'd replace it for free if I sent my helmet in, but I figured its easier to just deal with it than pay for shipping and be without the helmet for a few weeks. So I wouldnt be surprised if there were other minor early production issues like the crooked pinlock silicone which may have been worked out by now.

This one has 30k miles on it and is still mostly fine, the main gasket is getting a bit cracked in a few places, I'll probably be buying a new one in that red phoenix pattern soon.