Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Sue Denim posted:

I laughed in Breaking the Code when Edge and Christian were talking about how great Fozzy were, because it's exactly what someone who spent a decade and more around the crappy alternative rock WWE uses constantly for their songs and video packages would think was good metal.

I think it's more likely they're being polite about a friend, rather than them never having heard any music outside of entrance themes for the last decade. Although that should be enforced by Vince for a laugh, especially for any office parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Tonfa posted:

Dolph's freefall down the card got me thinking, are there any other examples of a guy going from "top title contender" to "already in the ring..." in 2-3 months?

Sheamus and Barrett come to mind, to a slightly lesser extent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Sheamus and Barrett come to mind, to a slightly lesser extent.

Swagger, although he's bouncing back by having Cole as a manager.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Kofi's had great pops, great matches, and the US/IC title more than he hasn't...yet he's been feudless, for the most part.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gaz-L posted:

Swagger, although he's bouncing back by managing Cole

Fixed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Giedroyc posted:

I think it's more likely they're being polite about a friend, rather than them never having heard any music outside of entrance themes for the last decade. Although that should be enforced by Vince for a laugh, especially for any office parties.

I expect all WWE office parties are soundtracked by Yoshi Tatsu's theme on endless repeat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The weirdest thing about Swagger is they had him beat Orton about as cleanly as he could in a No-DQ match. He beat Orton! And then next month he's jobbing to the Big Show.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That new masked wrestler TNA just debuted... do they seriously have him wrestle under special lighting like WWE does for Sin Cara?

It looked that way in the clip I saw for the most recent botchamania and if so they are reaching new lows in being just a 'me too' promotion. Is it supposed to be a parody or something?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That new masked wrestler TNA just debuted... do they seriously have him wrestle under special lighting like WWE does for Sin Cara?

It looked that way in the clip I saw for the most recent botchamania and if so they are reaching new lows in being just a 'me too' promotion. Is it supposed to be a parody or something?

It's Amazing Red under the mask, so yeah, it's a parody.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Bryan and Vinny probably summed it up best: "It's Red and Daniels, doing a Red and Daniels match and getting a quarter of the reaction because the crowd don't know Sangriento and don't care about Suicide."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PoO3 posted:

not froot man, not froot at all...

It was pretty froot how he was so dedicated to that joke, or dedicated to Word's Find and Replace, that he kept it up even in the chapter about Benoit's death.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The latest rumour doing the rounds is that they want a Mexican wrestler to play him, even so far as to have a worker in mind to do so, but they haven't approached him yet and so its Red under the mask until they do.

It should be noted for people not paying attention to TNA, Red is also appearing as himself.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Sangriento literally means "bloody"

Shouldn't it be Ric Flair's name?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skinty McEdger posted:

The latest rumour doing the rounds is that they want a Mexican wrestler to play him, even so far as to have a worker in mind to do so, but they haven't approached him yet and so its Red under the mask until they do.

I hope the guy they have in mind is several inches taller and about 40lb heavier.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Jerusalem posted:

I hope the guy they have in mind is several inches taller and about 40lb heavier.

And then they hire Super Porky instead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Trollologist posted:

Does anyone know why Jericho was picked to become the first undisputed champion? Because everything I've read seems to point out that Vince has never been very fond of Chris.

HHH was out with an injury.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I keep seeing "the WWE style" referenced. Can someone elaborate on what this is?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dickeye posted:

I keep seeing "the WWE style" referenced. Can someone elaborate on what this is?

Wrestling a style that is somewhat/mostly low-impact to mollify the effects on the body of constantly being on the road and performing live several times a week (Raw, Smackdown and House Shows) as well as keeping the audience from being burnt out on constantly over the top escalating performances/matches/stipulations. It's designed to prevent injury, burn-out (for wrestler and crowd alike) and increase the shelf life of a wrestler.

Edit: There are also probably some technical niceties that are unique to WWE as well, but I wouldn't know what those are. I think maybe something like always facing a particular way for cameras etc but most of that stuff goes over my head.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Dickeye posted:

Vince has a very narrow range of match style he likes. For a match that goes some length, the typical style is a hot opening segment with a key spot that goes into a very slow heel heat segment heavy on emoting through facial expressions, which is the body of the match. From there you go into either a short face comeback of three to five moves (and a lot of the same guys do the same moves in the same order) that goes right to the finish or, in some main event matches, an elaborate finishing sequence.

There are very few WWE matches that don't follow something approximating this formula, and they're frequently special occasions like "Undertaker at WrestleMania."

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The WWE ring is also larger than pretty much any ring out there so you'd have to learn how to move in it properly.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
When people refer to "WWE Style" derisively (which is nearly every time you see it) it usually refers to the absence of hardcore or potentially dangerous elements like chair shots to the head, bleeding, pile drivers and spinny-flippy top rope moves - generally for the reasons outlined by Jerusalem.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Jetfire posted:

When people refer to "WWE Style" derisively (which is nearly every time you see it) it usually refers to the absence of hardcore or potentially dangerous elements like chair shots to the head, bleeding, pile drivers and spinny-flippy top rope moves - generally for the reasons outlined by Jerusalem.

But Mason Ryan is employed

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Jetfire posted:

There's lots of other styles of wrestling that don't include "hardcore or potentially dangerously elements," and piledrivers and top rope moves don't belong in that list anyway. This is a real bad post.

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare
I often hear "blue chipper" referring to certain wrestlers or gimmicks, but I don't actually know what it means. The only wrestler I've heard described that way who didn't seem generic to me was Owen Hart, and I'm having trouble seeing the similarities between him and anyone else I've heard described in the same manner. Brief research shows that it refers to something viewed as a valuable asset, but I don't see the transition into a wrestling persona. So would anyone care to explain this to me?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Salt In The Wound posted:

I often hear "blue chipper" referring to certain wrestlers or gimmicks, but I don't actually know what it means. The only wrestler I've heard described that way who didn't seem generic to me was Owen Hart, and I'm having trouble seeing the similarities between him and anyone else I've heard described in the same manner. Brief research shows that it refers to something viewed as a valuable asset, but I don't see the transition into a wrestling persona. So would anyone care to explain this to me?

Blue chipper means a highly touted newcomer, in gimmick context it is usually used to describe an immediately pushed face with no gimmick or a generic gimmick. I have no idea how Owen Hart could have ever been described as that.

I think Jim Ross invented the wrestling version of the term (it's used to describe low-risk/high-yield stocks in reality), in describing Rocky Maivia.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 9, 2011

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

There's lots of other styles of wrestling that don't include "hardcore or potentially dangerously elements," and piledrivers and top rope moves don't belong in that list anyway. This is a real bad post.

Pile drivers are generally not used in WWE, and are potentially dangerous in exceptional cases (although how much more than any other move is of course debatable). Top rope moves like the shooting star press are limited to only a few people usually along the lines of one dude's signature move only, although to be fair documentation on that one is sketchy.

My point is that a lot of those things aren't seen in WWE often, and people who slam WWE Style usually point out these details. These people are usually loving morons, of course.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Jetfire posted:

Pile drivers are generally not used in WWE, and are potentially dangerous in exceptional cases (although how much more than any other move is of course debatable). Top rope moves like the shooting star press are limited to only a few people usually along the lines of one dude's signature move only, although to be fair documentation on that one is sketchy.

My point is that a lot of those things aren't seen in WWE often, and people who slam WWE Style usually point out these details. These people are usually loving morons, of course.

Everything in wrestling is potentially dangerous. Piledrivers are no more dangerous than anything else if you do it right. If they were, you would see tons of guys injured from Lawler and Bret Hart doing piledrivers all the time. But you don't see that. Because piledrivers being dangerous is a weird myth spread by the one time Austin broke his neck and tons of Memphis kayfabe.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Cena tore his pec or whatever on a loving hip toss.

I mean, it's silly to say that certain moves don't have more risk, but almost every move has a certain amount of risk.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Those weird dim lights are for TNA's secondary show that airs on a mystery channel in like three homes across the world. Xplosion or something. All the matches on that show look like that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Jetfire posted:

I don't even know where to start here so here's some dreaded bulletpoints:

- Piledrivers are banned because Undertaker dropped Triple H on his head in 2000 while he was dating Stephanie, and Triple H got real mad about it. Amusingly, Undertaker and Triple H are two of the only people allowed to use piledrivers, while Jerry Lawler can't use a safer version of the move that he's been doing for forty years. Go figure. Piledrivers in general are not dangerous when done properly.

- "Top rope moves" encompasses such a wide variety of things that I can't even figure out where you're going there. Some guys can do a shooting star press very safely. Some guys can't even climb the ropes safely.

- I have no idea why people who think "WWE style" is lame are "loving morons" because you've made no relevant point here. All other kinds of wrestling are not CZW garbage matches or yardcore guys flying off buildings.

- There are many, many legitimate criticisms of WWE matches. They are very repetitive. The style doesn't allow for big adjustments depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the particular wrestlers. It doesn't lend itself well to short matches, which is problematic when that's a lot of what WWE does on television. A lot of times even the good matches have long rest hold spots. Wrestlers that don't know how to work other styles are essentially universally incapable of having matches better than good, because it's very hard to have better than a good match sticking to such a narrow script. Variety is nice. And so on...

It's funny because I hate top rope flippy stuff with no psychology probably more than any other regular in this forum. I'm the one who routinely points out that John Morrison can't really work, after all. And yet you have me on the other side.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

One of the funniest parts about the WWE match style is when newer guys are trying really hard to stick to it so when something fucks up they just repeat the same sequence over again the exact same way instead of calling an audible and doing something else. It's really awkward.

Then again that kind of thing happens in other promotions as well so I guess that'd be more a case of guys having to get their spots or sequences in and getting flustered when something goes wrong.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing about Piledrivers is that Austin broke Chono's neck and Owen broke Austin's. Both those guys were pretty fantastic technicians. I can totally accept WWE banning the piledriver because if Owen and Austin can break peoples neck then imagine John "Can't even Armbar" Cena (Botchamania reference) trying one.

The SSP is banned for any old joe, but if you can do it (Like Sydal) then it's a-okay. That's as a response to Brock killing himself. Yet again, I'm fine with that.

My understanding of wwe "Main event" style is that it involves big punches, whips, elbows, kicks and last but not least a finisher and that's it. Ie: That the only "moves" are the two finishers. This is I believe is related to the fact that Vince pushes big men with little or no technical ability. It also comes down to the fact that the "Style" started when Austin was big, and Austin didn't do much rasslin after the neck surgery so they built it up around his style (And to a lesser extent Rock's). And unfortunately it's mostly stayed that way.

Anyway, that's just my observation. And in my opinion the real problem with it is that Vince ONLY pushes that style of wrestling so like anything you get a bit sick of it being the only kind.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
(double post because I'm stupid)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 9, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LordPants posted:

I can totally accept WWE banning the piledriver because if Owen and Austin can break peoples neck then imagine John "Can't even Armbar" Cena (Botchamania reference) trying one.
That clip was from when Cena was like five minutes into his training. I'm not saying he's the greatest worker ever, but botches are pretty rare from him.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jetfire posted:

A lot of people who criticize "WWE style" matches are criticizing them because of their plodding pace, using the same spots at the same times in matches over and over again that it get's to the point that you can predict exactly what will happen and when it will happen outside of some PPV matches, and the basic movesets that WWE limits it's wrestlers with(outside of Orton with the Angle slam I can't think of anyone who's introduced a new move to their repertoire in a long time). It's not a bunch of slack jawed morons screaming for unprotected chairshots and blood, it's actually people who would just like some more excitement and variety in WWE matches.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those botched piledrivers were Tombstones, and in those cases wildly dangerous Tombstones. Adding to the fact is that what got piledrivers banned was a Tombstone. So if anything should have been banned...

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Isn't the Tombstone an instant DQ in Mexico?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

savinhill posted:

It's not a bunch of slack jawed morons screaming for unprotected chairshots and blood, it's actually people who would just like some more excitement and variety in WWE matches.

I apologize for my fuddled comment earlier on, I was trying to fit in a lot of stuff into a few sentences and it didn't really make sense in the end. That piledriver story from 2000 is new to me, so thanks for that.

What I should have just said is that a lot of comments I've seen regarding "WWE Style" is used by people who basically clamour for chairshots, blood, and whatever they've romanticized the old ECW for representing. It's clearly not the only conversation that revolves around it, and I'll accept my wrong-itude to that.

Although as far as the SSP, I should turn that into a question of my own: is there any real narrative as far as that move in the WWE? The points that I can recall surrounding it are thus:

- Brock nails himself on the head with one at WM19
- Kidman and Paul London both use the SSP at various times in their career
- Kidman injures Chavo with one
- London at some point switches from a SSP to a 450, but still does an SSP-ish move from the mat, and once on the outside of the ring in an eminently gif'ed moment
- Currently the 450 is used by Gabriel, and the SSP by Bourne

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Piledrivers in general are not dangerous when done properly.

Eh, every move is generally not dangerous when done properly. The issue with piledrivers is that if done improperly there's really no outcome that doesn't end up with the guy getting dropped on his head. The inverted piledriver in particular since you can't really protect yourself like you can the regular variety, you're either up high enough to not get your neck broken or you aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

That clip was from when Cena was like five minutes into his training. I'm not saying he's the greatest worker ever, but botches are pretty rare from him.

He almost crippled Miz with a botch at ER