Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That guy is hilarious. "One day I'd like to produce a horror game. You know, I can't code for poo poo, but I've got ideas rattling around my head."

Yeah, because the one thing the games industry absolutely needs more of are tech-illiterate idea guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't talk poo poo about MrKravin.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hey, just saying.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cardiovorax posted:

That guy is hilarious. "One day I'd like to produce a horror game. You know, I can't code for poo poo, but I've got ideas rattling around my head."

Yeah, because the one thing the games industry absolutely needs more of are tech-illiterate idea guys.
Ah, you're both right. There's no shortage of ideas-but-can't-code guys, they're a pox upon all our houses and just the worst.

But at the same time when this happens over and over again

al-azad posted:

Within the first 5 minutes the game tells you the plot directly and stop me if you've heard this before: the father of a dysfunctional family murders his wife and is now stuck in his own personal hell.
clearly there's a lack of ideas somewhere in the process.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

clearly there's a lack of ideas somewhere in the process.
I mean, it's kind of Sturgeon's Law here as much as it is anywhere. Ideas are ten pence a dozen, it's good ideas that everyone wants but hardly anyone can find.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
who are the other auteur's out there like scott cawthon?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The_D

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Parachute posted:

who are the other auteur's out there like scott cawthon?

Puppet Combo? Kitty Horrorshow?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MMMMMMMMMMM

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

You're not wrong but to be fair the horror genre seems to be where good ideas go to die. They're being produced by competent artists and programmers but the actual narratives all scream "I liked Silent Hill 2 and Amnesia, nothing else matters."

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I'd take bonsai head guy over another "I killed my family and forgot about it"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

You're not wrong but to be fair the horror genre seems to be where good ideas go to die. They're being produced by competent artists and programmers but the actual narratives all scream "I liked Silent Hill 2 and Amnesia, nothing else matters."
Yeah, I can't really blame you for seeing it like that. It's just such an incredibly clichéd thing to say, you know? "Hey, I know jack poo poo about technology or game design or professional writing or what people could reasonably make into a game with current technology, but I'm sure if people just if people just took my random super awesome game idea, it would make zillions! Zillions, I tell you!"

It's like, every lovely RPGMaker game on Steam started just like that at some point, you know? Hell, I know David Cage definitely did. The genre definitely needs fresh blood, but it needs fresh and interesting gameplay ideas that make competent use of current technology just as much. Otherwise, you get Penumbra, which has all the physics tech and no clue what to make of it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

How about Arcane Kids (Tattletail, Sonic Dreams Collection)?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like Puppet Combo's games conceptually but they really need someone to reign in some things. Their newest game Nun Massacre is a pretty good escape-the-house style game in the vein of Granny but holy poo poo do not wear headphones. Every game has like one issue that keeps it from being truly solid, like Nightripper has these jank rear end platform sections in a game where you have realistic momentum, and Babysitter Bloodbath has the slasher spawn randomly right in front of your face, and so on. I'd say Stay Out of the House is the strongest game just because it find the proper balance between LOUD NOISES and gameplay you can figure out but the villain doesn't make any audio cues like the villain Nightripper, but the Nightripper villain you basically can't outrun like the nun so if you're spotted you're dead.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

That's increasingly bizarre to me too, because while I enjoyed SH2 as much as the next horror fan, I finally got around to playing Amnesia earlier this year and found both the story and long swathes of the actual gameplay to be aggressively meh. Like, I know it's been said before, but for a company that focuses so heavily on narrative design and touts narrative as a huge part of game design in general, Frictional didn't really bring anything that amazing to the table.

I acknowledge I may feel that way in part because I came to Amnesia pretty late (though I'm consistently years behind on games in the horror world) but I didn't find the story or how it was presented to be all that engaging. Plenty of neat scary moments and such, though the group I was playing with got more bored than scared in the prison.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Like, I know it's been said before, but for a company that focuses so heavily on narrative design and touts narrative as a huge part of game design in general, Frictional didn't really bring anything that amazing to the table.
It's really not your fault so much as... well, look at the kind of stuff Too Shy Guy (who is doing a bang-up job of it) is reviewing. The problem of Horror as a genre is that it's chock-full of garbage made by people who think that having a spooky idea is a perfectly adequate replacement for gameplay or production values. Like, to the point where lots of people are plum convinced you don't actually need any of these things at all. At the same time, there is a serious dearth of absolutely anything horror-related at all in mainstream game productions. You get maybe one or two good horror games every two or three years, with a handful that turn into cult classics, but never have much commercial succcess.

Can you see from that where the increasingly unrealistic love for the few big-name good titles in the genre comes from? It's not that they're bad or that they're outstandingly good, either, it's that they're the decent, honestly playable servings available in a genre that just plain doesn't have much of a lot of anything.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I can agree with that assessment. A similar situation is that I thought Layers of Fear was mediocre at best (with a couple of really good moments) and had a story centered around a totally unbearable character, to the point that I was rooting for him to die.

It's sad that the bar is not one of whether a game is really good or not, it's usually whether it's competently done. Not that I think all horror is terrible, I actually think there's a lot of good stuff out there that didn't get the attention it deserved. I guess my problem is more that I tend to not agree when games explode in popularity, like Amnesia or Layers of Fear did. I don't really get what sets either of them apart from the rest of the crowd. I guess it's partially competence, partially luck, maybe a certain degree of adhering to familiar story ideas and gameplay tropes, while twisting them just tiny bits here or there so you get a nice balance of new and comfortable.

Also, I thought a lot of the environment-manipulation aspect of Amnesia ranged from tedious to downright annoying. (I also really hate the hide-and-seek gameplay but that's not exclusive to Amnesia). So even in that case, while I agree it has good production values, or did for when it was released, I'm not sure I'd rank "fun to play" at the top of its positive qualities.

Also also, I know Layers of Fear isn't exactly a banner of the genre or anything, it's just the most recent game I can think of that I played at or close to release, while the hype train was still rolling.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Also, I thought a lot of the environment-manipulation aspect of Amnesia ranged from tedious to downright annoying.
Believe me, you're not the only one. Amnesia had some incredibly good sections (I'm still scared of the Water Demon) but it also had a lot of incredibly annoying trash in it and I'm sad that the gaming world on the whole has pretty much accepted it as the gold standard of how things should be done. Not because it's bad, but because people could do better.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
hey was that OSHA Nightmare simulator any good?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

MockingQuantum posted:

I can agree with that assessment. A similar situation is that I thought Layers of Fear was mediocre at best (with a couple of really good moments) and had a story centered around a totally unbearable character, to the point that I was rooting for him to die.

It's sad that the bar is not one of whether a game is really good or not, it's usually whether it's competently done. Not that I think all horror is terrible, I actually think there's a lot of good stuff out there that didn't get the attention it deserved. I guess my problem is more that I tend to not agree when games explode in popularity, like Amnesia or Layers of Fear did. I don't really get what sets either of them apart from the rest of the crowd. I guess it's partially competence, partially luck, maybe a certain degree of adhering to familiar story ideas and gameplay tropes, while twisting them just tiny bits here or there so you get a nice balance of new and comfortable.

Also, I thought a lot of the environment-manipulation aspect of Amnesia ranged from tedious to downright annoying. (I also really hate the hide-and-seek gameplay but that's not exclusive to Amnesia). So even in that case, while I agree it has good production values, or did for when it was released, I'm not sure I'd rank "fun to play" at the top of its positive qualities.

Also also, I know Layers of Fear isn't exactly a banner of the genre or anything, it's just the most recent game I can think of that I played at or close to release, while the hype train was still rolling.

I'm trying to remember but I think Frictional reduced some of the environment manipulation for Soma, or at least improved on it so it wasn't as annoying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On some level I'll argue that good gameplay is near impossible in a horror game because of how difficult it is to balance player agency. The more I understand and interact with the game itself the less engaged I am with what is going on. If I can shoot the thing that's chasing me, I'm disengaged. If I can only run from the thing chasing me, I'm disengaged. The sweet spot is something like RE7 but even that game runs out of ideas once the player is toting an armory of shotguns and grenade launchers.

I see the opposite problem that horror games have generally fine gameplay but nobody has any spooky ideas that aren't disconnected tropes. Like Kravin always jokes "every horror game has to have an elevator scene" and dammit they all do, even big budget AAA games must have an elevator sequence where you see something spooky as you pass by a floor or a monster starts tearing up the roof around.

More so than any other genre horror relies on tropes but is also easily destroyed by tropes. We've all seen the action movie where the hero has to beat up guys to rescue his daughter, but if the fights are exciting who cares. A horror film with a boring premise you can just sit back and break down the illusion. "The camera just panned to the right and there's no music playing, it'll pan to the left and something spooky will happen I know because I've seen at least two horror movies in my life."

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I don't blame big developers for avoiding horror, it's honestly a very difficult genre to get right and it's not a problem that you can throw money or manpower at. You need a designer that really gets how to convey dread through the environment or encounters, and there's no guarantee that those who can also know how to expand that to more than an hour or two of gameplay, or even make it fun. It's a realm dominated by indie efforts for a reason.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

he sweet spot is something like RE7 but even that game runs out of ideas once the player is toting an armory of shotguns and grenade launchers.
While I can understand the sentiment, I don't entirely agree with it because it makes perfect sense in the context of 1: taking place in the Resident Evil universe and 2: taking place in the house of an ex-Marine and presumable gun-nut recluse. It all comes together to a situation where I can see this happening in the loosest of terms and that's enough for it to remain working as a B-horror product.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As someone playing Amnesia for the first time this year, I'll defend it a bit. The presentation of the narrative is bland (lots of voice overs and notes) but it does a lot to build its atmosphere with some really spartan tools. More importantly the game operates with a logic you can follow but still leaves room for surprises. Like the main monsters have distinct audio cues for when they spawn, when they're searching for you, and when they're chasing. Instead of keeping these guys around the game smartly despawns them when it's clear the player has overcome their challenge because a big problem with games that have wandering monsters is you trigger one, run and hide, then have to wait for ages for the monster to go far enough that you won't immediately trigger it by leaving your hiding space.

The sanity and darkness stuff could've been done better, but it actually encourages the player to act swiftly and aggressively since your sanity restores as you make progression. I find myself playing this game fast and recklessly, something I absolutely don't do in even action heavy games like Dead Space. In doing so the mistakes lead to more surprising moments and the pressure of just getting out of a bad situation creates some nice pressure that doesn't exist in a game where you can hide or fight indefinitely. The quiet moments in Amnesia really feel like you're stepping out of the darkness to gasp for air.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The obvious and rather laughable downside of the sanity stuff? Monsters can't see you if you can't see them, to the point where holding a drawer in front of your face is enough to be straight-up loving invisible to the monsters while literally jumping around right in front of their faces. Seriously, there are Youtube videos of this and it's as ridiculous as the descriptions would make you assume it is.

There's another downside of the "incompetent programmer" angle for you, I guess, because that's not a mistake someone with more experience in programming antagonist AI would have made.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

On some level I'll argue that good gameplay is near impossible in a horror game because of how difficult it is to balance player agency. The more I understand and interact with the game itself the less engaged I am with what is going on. If I can shoot the thing that's chasing me, I'm disengaged. If I can only run from the thing chasing me, I'm disengaged. The sweet spot is something like RE7 but even that game runs out of ideas once the player is toting an armory of shotguns and grenade launchers.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, given that the group I was playing Amnesia with said at numerous occasions that they'd kinda rather there wasn't any game there, or that the gameplay diminished the actual atmosphere or impact of a few moments. I do agree that RE7's one of the best in terms of making me feel like there was a give-and-take between being able to fight the scary things, and maybe possibly just running the gently caress away is better, at least in the early game. I also think it's why the early Silent Hill games did it for me, in terms of actually frightening me instead of just enjoying the atmosphere of the game-- I wasn't really that frightened by the prospect of fighting a nurse or a weird bed person, the frightening aspect was more that the game could throw anything at you without you really knowing what to do about it initially. Just my two cents there, but I think that's a big reason why I haven't been wowed by a lot of recent horror-- the best stuff sets up very specific expectations in the player, and then delivers on them exactly as promised, and that lack of surprise sometimes kills the experience for me.

Of course, this is all just reiterating the fact that horror is really loving hard to do well. You're never gonna surprise or intrigue every player every time, and even if the balance between threat and the ability to do something about a threat is perfect for one person, it probably won't be for another.

That said, hide-or-die is loving stupid and feels a bit like game designers shrugging their shoulders because it's guaranteed to scare whatever population of players it doesn't immediately piss off, which I guess is a better ratio than a game being potentially frightening to no one.

Not really directly relevant, but this does relate to a conversation I had with a friend about how "horror" as a genre descriptor is kind of dumb. In most media, it's sort of the only genre that's defined by whether it draws a very specific visceral reaction from the audience. Now, that's kind of neither here nor there regarding this discussion, but it does make me wish there were different words for "horror that is meant to cause fear or shock in a player" and "horror, in the sense that it includes common horror tropes/moods/themes/atmospheres/setpieces/gameplay but doesn't concern itself with scaring the player as the main goal." Honestly, I kind of games that fall in the latter category a whole lot more than the former.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

The obvious and rather laughable downside of the sanity stuff? Monsters can't see you if you can't see them, to the point where holding a drawer in front of your face is enough to be straight-up loving invisible to the monsters while literally jumping around right in front of their faces. Seriously, there are Youtube videos of this and it's as ridiculous as the descriptions would make you assume it is.

There's another downside of the "incompetent programmer" angle for you, I guess, because that's not a mistake someone with more experience in programming antagonist AI would have made.

That's not a programming error, all the monsters are Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts of Traal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

That's not a programming error, all the monsters are Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts of Traal.
You know, I really miss text adventures right now, because it's probably the only genre where you were ever likely to get a game that's basically just Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy fanfiction.

quote:

Not really directly relevant, but this does relate to a conversation I had with a friend about how "horror" as a genre descriptor is kind of dumb. In most media, it's sort of the only genre that's defined by whether it draws a very specific visceral reaction from the audience.
I made the same point just a few pages ago in this very thread about how "horror" is a genre about how people feel about a game while action and RPG are descriptors of how a game actually plays, so there's at least one guy out there who really agrees with you on that particular issue.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

The sanity and darkness stuff could've been done better, but it actually encourages the player to act swiftly and aggressively since your sanity restores as you make progression. I find myself playing this game fast and recklessly, something I absolutely don't do in even action heavy games like Dead Space. In doing so the mistakes lead to more surprising moments and the pressure of just getting out of a bad situation creates some nice pressure that doesn't exist in a game where you can hide or fight indefinitely. The quiet moments in Amnesia really feel like you're stepping out of the darkness to gasp for air.

So I don't know if this is a statement on us or the game... but what even happens if your sanity gets too low? It really wasn't clear when we were playing. Aside from bugs showing up and some visual distortions and stuff, it honestly didn't feel like low sanity actually had that massive of an impact on the experience. We sort of assumed it would cause more monsters to show up or something but we were never able to draw the line between low sanity and an actual consequence. Do you just straight-up die of insanity at some point?

In general we weren't clear on some of the game's "rules", mostly surrounding sanity. Not that it really mattered, the game just told us dark=bad and we went with it, but I couldn't always articulate what was going on, other than "maybe you should not go down that pitch black corridor without some lamp oil because reasons"

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I made the same point just a few pages ago in this very thread about how "horror" is a genre about how people feel about a game while action and RPG are descriptors of how a game actually plays, so there's at least one guy out there who really agrees with you on that particular issue.

Well two, because the friend I was talking to was also pretty passionate about it. Though the conversation was in context of horror as a genre in novels, and how it's even dumber of a descriptor there than in visual media.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sanity effects that actually DO something are literally still patented by the people who published Eternal Darkness, so the fact that it's basically meaningless isn't exactly their fault. The fact that they advertised a sanity system as meaningfully existing, however, is.

quote:

Though the conversation was in context of horror as a genre in novels, and how it's even dumber of a descriptor there than in visual media.
Now that's the kind of passionate discussion about writing that I'd really enjoy having, because I think there's a good argument for it that horror as a genre makes perfect sense for written media, which are all about subjective experience of the reader, while it makes little sense for video games, which are all about the objective experience of interacting with the medium through the provided interface.

Feel free to mark it down for later and hit me up about it at any time, I'll be pleased to discuss it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't call it incompetent programming so much as something a playtester didn't catch. The game uses the player's "head" as the hitbox which makes hiding much easier to manage. A lot of games with hide-and-seek gameplay don't really make it clear when you're hidden but Amnesia is simple: if you're crouched behind a waist high object, you break line of sight. Furthermore monsters can still hear you and just being in their presence causes sanity to drop which eventually leads to the monster just spotting you.

Frankly I think they knew about it and just left it in. If it was unintentional they had almost a decade to patch it out. I think it's one of those things where the average player isn't going to think to do it while speedrunners and hardcore fans will have fun with it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

I wouldn't call it incompetent programming so much as something a playtester didn't catch. The game uses the player's "head" as the hitbox which makes hiding much easier to manage.
See, speaking personally as someone with a professional education as a programmer, this seems to me like the kind of thing you can't really fail to catch, not if any of your playtesters are also your developers, which I admittedly can't know for a fact actually happened at any point during the development of this game. Basic playtesting will tell you that absolutely everything about monster perception is tied to how well the player can personally see them at the current moment.

The thing is, that's the sort of thing that you have to design in from the ground up. It doesn't happen by accident, it's a conscious design choice you make. It means that the monsters, as in-game actors, do not have a real perception of their own. They just wander along the navmesh and leech off of the player actor's perception to decide whether you are close enough to be seen by them. It's basically entirely hooked into the sanity mechanic.

That's not the kind of thing I can see as anything BUT a gently caress-up. From the very start, that's not how enemy actors should work to begin with. It's the result of someone having a clever idea, but never following it all the way to its logical end - at least, if you ask me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's about 2 more years left on that patent. Then maybe Denis Dyack will come back to pitch "Forever Night" on Kickstarter.

MockingQuantum posted:

So I don't know if this is a statement on us or the game... but what even happens if your sanity gets too low? It really wasn't clear when we were playing. Aside from bugs showing up and some visual distortions and stuff, it honestly didn't feel like low sanity actually had that massive of an impact on the experience. We sort of assumed it would cause more monsters to show up or something but we were never able to draw the line between low sanity and an actual consequence. Do you just straight-up die of insanity at some point?

In general we weren't clear on some of the game's "rules", mostly surrounding sanity. Not that it really mattered, the game just told us dark=bad and we went with it, but I couldn't always articulate what was going on, other than "maybe you should not go down that pitch black corridor without some lamp oil because reasons"

There are some minor visual effects with low sanity, but the important thing is that monsters become more aggressive at low sanity. Eventually your character will stumble on the ground and this triggers all monsters to go into "search" mode automatically.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

See, speaking personally as someone with a professional education as a programmer, this seems to me like the kind of thing you can't really fail to catch, not if any of your playtesters are also your developers, which I admittedly can't know for a fact actually happened at any point during the development of this game. Basic playtesting will tell you that absolutely everything about monster perception is tied to how well the player can personally see them at the current moment.

The thing is, that's the sort of thing that you have to design in from the ground up. It doesn't happen by accident, it's a conscious design choice you make. It means that the monsters, as in-game actors, do not have a real perception of their own. They just wander along the navmesh and leech off of the player actor's perception to decide whether you are close enough to be seen by them. It's basically entirely hooked into the sanity mechanic.

That's not the kind of thing I can see as anything BUT a gently caress-up. From the very start, that's not how enemy actors should work to begin with. It's the result of someone having a clever idea, but never following it all the way to its logical end - at least, if you ask me.

But you have to think of the intentions of the game and what it's trying to accomplish. The monsters are there as a sort of gate, either to subtly guide the player, encourage them to move faster, or hastily remember the location of the nearest room they can duck into. They're a temporary obstacle to break up the gameplay while you're finding the next key or object. They'll see you if you're in their direct line of light, looking at them causes them to intuit your location, and they'll automatically spot your lantern light so it ramps up the tension when your best defense is staying low, in the dark, staring at the floor.

Like I said before, there needs to be a middle ground or nothing works. If the monsters were too smart then Amnesia falls apart because it's not designed to deal with enemy encounters, it would be like Alien: Isolation with no weapons. It's ultimately a non-issue that doesn't negatively impact the gameplay. Nobody playing the game casually is breaking the monster AI, and even the people speedrunning the game find that it's not efficient when you can drop stuff in their path and run.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sure, it works, but making it work only on that basis and nothing else leaves you with a bunch of hilariously stupid unintended behaviour. It's not really an issue of making the monsters smart or stupid, it's making their senses entirely dependent on the player's own that is the issue. It's the fact that fixing this would have (in some senses) been easier that makes this feel like weird-rear end incompetence to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Sure, it works, but making it work only on that basis and nothing else leaves you with a bunch of hilariously stupid unintended behaviour. It's not really an issue of making the monsters smart or stupid, it's making their senses entirely dependent on the player's own that is the issue. It's the fact that fixing this would have (in some senses) been easier that makes this feel like weird-rear end incompetence to me.

They have their own perception. They can see and hear the player, it's just that their line of sight is to the player's head. Holding a box up is funny but as soon as you move or your sanity dips too low you're done.

I just don't see it as a failing of the game's design.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cardiovorax posted:

Sanity effects that actually DO something are literally still patented by the people who published Eternal Darkness, so the fact that it's basically meaningless isn't exactly their fault.

Patenting game mechanics needs to be thrown out the loving window forever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Can you plop a bucket on the monster's head a la skyrim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean off the top of my head, Dark Corners of the Earth had sanity effects that would range from making you hear voices to your character killing himself. So if there's a patent, it isn't a rigidly enforced patent.