Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The stock market, where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ColorOfChange/status/1044668008537501696

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is it like trying to tell whoever is reading to be more human? I dont get it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tired Moritz posted:

Black people used to, you know, be slaves so this gets into "make yourself strong so somebody else can use it" territory like, you know, slavery did.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Its trying to do a 'standing on the shoulders of giants' refrence.

anyway, in bowsette news:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheHumanBoulder/status/1044620561798893568

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Tired Moritz posted:

Are people really this dense? I can see how it reads badly but it's also not difficult to see what they were going for. Sometimes I think goons are just putting me on I swear...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm a bit biased against sports mascots to begin with (basically all of them except three are bad and awful), but the Philadelphia Flyers just outfuckingdid themselves:

The local reaction and memes have been good. A brewery has already started making this:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pharohman777 posted:

Its trying to do a 'standing on the shoulders of giants' refrence.

anyway, in bowsette news:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheHumanBoulder/status/1044620561798893568

I don't think Arby's has made a single misstep in marketing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think Arby's has made a single misstep in marketing.

Yeah, I like Arby's

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Phanatic posted:

I'm a bit biased against sports mascots to begin with (basically all of them except three are bad and awful), but the Philadelphia Flyers just outfuckingdid themselves:

The local reaction and memes have been good. A brewery has already started making this:

they should just make a hot female version of it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Its name is Gritty, which is perfecto.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tired Moritz posted:

You don't think someone hasn't already?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

That isn't the hot female version? Now I feel very confused about my last three orgasms.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm proud to live in Philadelphia, home of the nightmare hockey monster

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Phanatic posted:

To be fair the concept sketch is slightly less terrifying.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

Are people really this dense? I can see how it reads badly but it's also not difficult to see what they were going for. Sometimes I think goons are just putting me on I swear...

Goons just wanna goon. Still, it’s a bad ad.

I’m not sure if I’ve told this story before, but I was in a training class and they wanted to make a team name based on the instructor’s last name and I, being the only person from the South, had to immediately object to all of the choices as our team lead’s last name was Lynch*. Often people just don’t know how awful something sounds because they’re from homogeneous environments and have never had to think how a minority might react to their statement or plan. That’s this ad. It’s not racist, but it is inconsiderate of race.

*Lynch party was one of the choices.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Phanatic posted:

In its first day, it has shot a dude in the back with a t-shirt cannon, threatened to murder The Penguins, and re-created the Kim K champagne image.

Dude owns.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Krispy Wafer posted:

Goons just wanna goon. Still, it’s a bad ad.

I’m not sure if I’ve told this story before, but I was in a training class and they wanted to make a team name based on the instructor’s last name and I, being the only person from the South, had to immediately object to all of the choices as our team lead’s last name was Lynch*. Often people just don’t know how awful something sounds because they’re from homogeneous environments and have never had to think how a minority might react to their statement or plan. That’s this ad. It’s not racist, but it is inconsiderate of race.

*Lynch party was one of the choices.

George Lynch's band is named Lynch Mob, and I always wondered how that got green lit.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tired Moritz posted:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

That’s rad.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Black people used to, you know, be slaves so this gets into "make yourself strong so somebody else can use it" territory like, you know, slavery did.

Nah I'm just dumb. The original intent can't be telling black women to be more human... Right? That's really stupid.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tired Moritz posted:

Nah I'm just dumb. The original intent can't be telling black women to be more human... Right? That's really stupid.

No the intent probably wasn't actually racist but, well, this is why you have people proof read poo poo. There are multiple ways that could be read very badly. The intent was probably to encourage everybody to help others and be humane but making the model a black woman while saying be more human and let people stand on you is...wowee.

Really that message can probably come out problematic no matter who you put there.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What about using a Chinese?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

oldpainless posted:

What about using a Chinese?

Don't get crazy there Chretien

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, what if its like an ant colony where Peach is the "queen", but if someone were to happen to her, they could trigger ~something~ and one of the regular toadstool people would transform into their "queen" form.

well, that's fine then

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yep. And the largest mutual fund in the world, VTSAX, with $750 Billion in assets, is run entirely by a computer.

The stock market never makes sense and skynet is going to take it over some day.

Ya but VTSAX is an index fund so it doesn't need anything more than to know how stocks have performed and adjusted in market cap as compared to the whole index. That's completely different than trading bots for individual stocks.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
We have to make our shoulders strong enough for Thomas Jefferson to sit on

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

To be fair the concept sketch is slightly less terrifying.

Slightly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

We have to make our shoulders strong enough for Thomas Jefferson to sit on

I think he prefers black women to sit on him.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The intent was probably to encourage everybody to help others and be humane but making the model a black woman while saying be more human and let people stand on you is...wowee.

The quote is from the black woman in the picture.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

I think he prefers black women to sit on him.

drat, you're right. I was so close to making a joke. Would've been my first one too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xenoletum posted:

In its first day, it has shot a dude in the back with a t-shirt cannon, threatened to murder The Penguins, and re-created the Kim K champagne image.

Dude owns.

I figured legally distinct knockoff of Animal from the Muppets and I was right on the money.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Byzantine posted:

The quote is from the black woman in the picture.

That black woman being Danai Gurira, not that most people could tell since her name is really tiny in the lower left of the ad as if to diminish the importance of who she is and disassociate her specific image with her own quote. The ad still suggests black women have to be strong enough for others to stand on their shoulders, an idea that contains all kinds of racism to unpack despite how innocuous it appears as a stand-alone sentence. It also blurs the context of Gurira’s quote: she was specifically referring to the women who endured before her so she could thrive and passing that on to the next generation. Not everyone is going to take that away from ad as presented.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Often people just don’t know how awful something sounds because they’re from homogeneous environments and have never had to think how a minority might react to their statement or plan. That’s this ad. It’s not racist, but it is inconsiderate of race.

I think this describes how bad ads in this vein get past multiple layers of marketing and PR people. Being inconsiderate and ignorant just adds to the systemic aspect of racism and leads to more of the same harmful ideas that lay the buried foundation for more “obvious” racism.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ohio State football is in the midst of a scandal in which their head coach knew that his assistant was beating his wife and did nothing about it. This is how they're doing promo for this week's game (which funnily enough is against Penn State of all schools)
https://twitter.com/OhioStateFB/status/1044918440564334593

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I like Arby's

whoa, let's not go crazy here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tired Moritz posted:

Saw this on facebook today actually:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Saw this on facebook today actually:

This popped up on mine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
for the first time in my life i heard a cars for kids commercial on the radio today, and then proceeded to hear it again about 30 minutes later

and then that happened again about 6 times

i understand the hate now at least

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

That black woman being Danai Gurira, not that most people could tell since her name is really tiny in the lower left of the ad as if to diminish the importance of who she is and disassociate her specific image with her own quote. The ad still suggests black women have to be strong enough for others to stand on their shoulders, an idea that contains all kinds of racism to unpack despite how innocuous it appears as a stand-alone sentence. It also blurs the context of Gurira’s quote: she was specifically referring to the women who endured before her so she could thrive and passing that on to the next generation. Not everyone is going to take that away from ad as presented.

it's really clear that they're quoting Gurira and also very clear what the meaning of Gurira's quote is, looking at a photo of her with that quote of course that's what she's referencing, it's an inspirational message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ulex minor posted:

it's really clear that they're quoting Gurira and also very clear what the meaning of Gurira's quote is, looking at a photo of her with that quote of course that's what she's referencing, it's an inspirational message

I had no idea who that woman was which left me with few awful ways to interpret it. The tiny text in the corner was basically illegible.