Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you heard it here everyone, tech companies stealing ideas from each other is on par with the illuminati and lizard person conspiracies. unthinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

Waist and inseam size, please.

don't wear skinny hipster jeans, problem solved

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

loquacius posted:

you realize this is some :tinfoil: poo poo, right

MS is a large company with a lot of different internal voices of its own, and they can afford to hire good graphic designers every once in a while too. You're abusing the poo poo out of Occam's razor because the idea that maybe a good idea came from outside Apple one time is so anathema to you you'd rather invent a conspiracy theory.

this guy freaking gets it. he is under my protection. welcome to Yospos.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

lol so i'm guessing you haven't been in tech very long. welcome

i love to see ignorant Apple Boys embarrass themselves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_(design_language)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

you heard it here everyone, tech companies stealing ideas from each other is on par with the illuminati and lizard person conspiracies. unthinkable.

Dude

Your response to the possibility that a company that isn't Apple had an idea that they used before Apple was to say "yeah well they were probably spying on Apple's internal debates and stealing the idea that they DIDN'T pick, therefore Apple still gets credit for it"

You have no evidence of this and yet it is still more likely to you than the possibility that a graphic designer hired by a company that is not Apple had an idea that Apple liked :monocle:

Yes. That is some conspiracy-theory bullshit.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

lol so i'm guessing you haven't been in tech very long. welcome

i love this post so much. "i'm guessing you haven't been in tech very long." from the guy who doesn't know that The Metro Design Language predates the iPhone itself. laughing my rear end off over here.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

apple is dead http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/dont-update-your-loving-iphone-1786606574

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GameCube posted:

i love to see ignorant Apple Boys embarrass themselves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_(design_language)

"The design language is based on the design principles of classic Swiss graphic design" lol yeah right, more like an Apple designer scribbled it on a napkin before he had his coffee one morning and threw it out because it sucked and a MS guy rooted around in a dumpster until he found precious precious rejected Apple ideas because that's all that company does

that's just the way tech works :rolleyes:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

lomarf

imessage is cool but, and hear me out on this one, who remembers geocities? that poo poo was popular so what if we took experience that and put it in iphones

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Doc Block posted:

don't wear skinny hipster jeans, problem solved

This is his way of saying "I'm fat as gently caress and my pants are huge."

The phone that fits in a normal person's front pocket is the normal sized phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc Block posted:

just use overcast and give former SA goon marco arment your $1.99 (or whatever it is to get rid of ads and get Smart Speed)
it's free with ads or $10/year subscription. subbing removes ads and lets you upload stuff (if you bought it when it was paid, you get the ads removed)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I actually hadn't seen this before, I guess they're trying to make their main texting app into snapchat???

do iOS users ever download third-party SMS/iMessage frontends or is that strictly an Android thing, because they might want to start doing that now

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Last Chance posted:

dude didn't say they stole an idea. he said they heard Apple's internal debate and deliberately picked the losing side

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is his way of saying "I'm fat as gently caress and my pants are huge."

The phone that fits in a normal person's front pocket is the normal sized phone.

:agreed:

i see some people here with phones in their butt and its sticking out the pocket --- thats not the way it's supposed to be

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

loquacius posted:

I actually hadn't seen this before, I guess they're trying to make their main texting app into snapchat???

do iOS users ever download third-party SMS/iMessage frontends or is that strictly an Android thing, because they might want to start doing that now

1. write "maliciously-crafted sticker causes rce in iphone" on whiteboard
2. click stopwatch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

loquacius posted:

third-party apps don't have access to sms or imessage on ios unless you're connecting to a separate system like google voice or something

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

Waist and inseam size, please.

30 32 and my iPhone 6 fits just fine in my levis 514 front pocket

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

wow its almost like apple had to create a proprietary protocol because the "industry standard" is trash and this will invariably spur them in to dealing with the garbage latency of bluetooth. this is completely unprecedented and in no way parallels the lighting cable forcing the development of usb-c

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

siri cancel my appointment with mike

lol

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

If anything this will keep people from using other messaging clients, this is how younger people communicate now; go back to complaining about PewDiePie grandpa 👴

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

third-party apps don't have access to sms or imessage on ios unless you're connecting to a separate system like google voice or something

yeesh

Well good luck dealing with that, guys

I guess teens will probably love the change until the first time it kills their battery

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

wow its almost like apple had to create a proprietary protocol because the "industry standard" is trash and this will invariably spur them in to dealing with the garbage latency of bluetooth. this is completely unprecedented and in no way parallels the lighting cable forcing the development of usb-c

or they could have kept the 3.5mm jack

y'know, like everyone is saying they should have

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

3.5mm jack is trash hth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shillary posted:

If anything this will keep people from using other messaging clients, this is how younger people communicate now; go back to complaining about PewDiePie grandpa 👴

actually they put a ton of nonsense bullshit in and around the text, not directly on top of it, and those apps don't crash under normal use

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah a 6 will fit any normal male's front jeans pocket unless you're strictly buying naked and famous with their notoriously shallow pockets. they're barely larger than a 5 (half inch taller, third inch wider). a 6+ not so much

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

also the m.2 connector

Apr 7, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

Not you, the fat guy.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

Not you, the fat guy.

don't sign your posts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

loquacius posted:

I don't get why people objected to this so strongly because it is objectively true

Apple was obsessed with making their designs look like real objects and materials, MS was like "what if we just used colors and boxes instead", and then Apple started doing it too. That is the timeline of events. People are just having trouble with the idea of Apple not being ON THE BLEEDING EDGE of every single thing all the time because that doesn't jive with their internal narrative

e:

so I was just typing the word 'butt' in every possible search box on my phone, y'know, like normal people do, and then suddenly,

jonny ives is a hack and apple zealots refuse to believe it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

zen death robot posted:

the normal size phone is the 6s/7 now

one of these is designed to be held and operated with one hand, and it's now the only remaining high-end smartphone of its size

we are all in hell

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

atomicthumbs posted:

one of these is designed to be held and operated with one hand, and it's now the only remaining high-end smartphone of its size

we are all in hell

looks like a sick animorphs book cover but with phones

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

3.5mm jack is trash hth

Question, is this an opinion you had before Apple announced they were removing it?

Like, were you using your previous iPhone and plugging your wired headphones into it and thinking "man, this tech is so awful, I really wish they'd just loving kill it off already"

or did you develop the idea that the headphone jack was bad because Apple removed it?

Apr 7, 2003

loquacius posted:

Question, is this an opinion you had before Apple announced they were removing it?

Like, were you using your previous iPhone and plugging your wired headphones into it and thinking "man, this tech is so awful, I really wish they'd just loving kill it off already"

or did you develop the idea that the headphone jack was bad because Apple removed it?

Bingo. Worse than android fans now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

loquacius posted:

:eng101:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

we are all in hell

the Galaxy s7 is a little bit bigger than the iphone SE and is the perfect size imo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
which is the one that you cant use on a plane cause it explodes

Apr 7, 2003

indigi posted:

the Galaxy s7 is a little bit bigger than the iphone SE and is the perfect size imo

Gonna be hard to use your phone when it blows your hand off.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Gonna be hard to use your phone when it blows your hand off.

excuse me the term is "enhanced haptic feedback"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

indigi posted:

it's bigger than an iphone 6

and samsungs explode with regular use

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
im short and not fat and wear between 30/30 and 32/30 depending on the brand. my 6s+ in it's case sticks out slightly from most of my jeans and i can't sit down with it in my front pocket with some of them on.

the phone loving owns bones though so idgaf.

• Locked thread