Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rampage:

Fenix defeats Komander
Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher and Mark Davis) retain the ROH tag titles over Brother Zay and Ethan Page
Sammy Guevara defeats Jon Cruz
Hikaru Shida and Skye Blue defeat the Outcasts (Toni Storm and Ruby Soho, with Saraya). Postmatch Outcasts brawl with Shida and Britt Baker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ROH:

Zack Sabre Jr retains the New Japan TV title over Metalik
Athena and Billie Starkz defeat the Renegades (Charlette and Robyn Renegade)
Cole Karter defeats a local talent
Kiera Hogan defeats Lady Frost
Spanish Announce Project (Luther and Serpentico, with Angelico) defeat the Outrunners (Truth Magnum and Turbo Floyd)
Lee Moriarty and WorkHorsemen (Anthony Henry and JD Drake) defeat a local trio
Leyla Hirsch defeats a local talent
Mogul Embassy (Brian Cage, Bishop Kaun and Toa Linoa) defeat Action Andretti, Darius Martin and Lee Johnson

Rampage:

QT Marshall retains the AAA Latin American title over Gravity, while Johnny TV is commentating
Orange Cassidy retains the International title over Aaron Solo
Luchasaurus squashes a local talent
Toni Storm and Saraya defeat Britt Baker and Hikaru Shida

Sorry for all the local talent mentions, nobody cared about the tapings happening enough to try and listen for names this time, but I wanted to post anyway because it's very important that QT Marshall defending a belt on US TV be made aware of in advance

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fez_machine posted:

This will likely spoil AEW all in mystery stuff so concealed

NJPW TV TITLE MATCH: Christopher Daniels Vs Zack Saber Jr.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Punch Sport Pagoda > Spoilers thread: Spoiled Wrestling in Every Sense of the Term [no spoiler tags]

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A couple of potential spoiler notes from listening to podcasts this afternoon:

Santana is going to be at Wembley "in some capacity".

Mariah May to AEW is basically a done deal and she's expected to be pushed heavily right out of the gate.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Unless they announce a tag battle royale or something, it seems like Santana/Ortiz as the BCC's mystery partners is the most obvious avenue for the return there.

The SRS report about Santana getting cleared while Ortiz canceled an indie date during All In weekend feels like the kind of thing where he's heard the return is imminent, but he can't get the full context confirmed on the record, so he just reports what he knows now since it'll all be old news in a few days

edit: Actually I guess having them as a surprise return to stand off against the winner of FTR/Bucks is a possibility too? Whatever

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 23, 2023

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

xbilkis posted:

Unless they announce a tag battle royale or something, it seems like Santana/Ortiz as the BCC's mystery partners is the most obvious avenue for the return there.

The SRS report about Santana getting cleared while Ortiz canceled an indie date during All In weekend feels like the kind of thing where he's heard the return is imminent, but he can't get the full context confirmed on the record, so he just reports what he knows now since it'll all be old news in a few days

edit: Actually I guess having them as a surprise return to stand off against the winner of FTR/Bucks is a possibility too? Whatever
Santana & Ortiz coming out in Boris Johnson and King Charles masks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Santana & Ortiz coming out in Boris Johnson and King Charles masks.

Oh hell yes

Still need a third but man. That could be spicy given how Ortiz and Eddie split.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pylons posted:

A couple of potential spoiler notes from listening to podcasts this afternoon:

Santana is going to be at Wembley "in some capacity".

Mariah May to AEW is basically a done deal and she's expected to be pushed heavily right out of the gate.

So which woman will they have to take off the air to make room for Mariah?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

forkboy84 posted:

So which woman will they have to take off the air to make room for Mariah?

Shida

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sadly that's probably true

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Surely they have a big enough women's division to justify a second match on every card now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Venomous posted:

Surely they have a big enough women's division to justify a second match on every card now

it's not the size of the division holding it back it's that Tony would rather give that time to the men's division

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I don't want to be The Billionaire Defender, but the juxtaposition between women's booking in ROH and AEW has me thinking WBD probably plays a part in it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think WBD plays a part of it only as deep as "the men are more popular so they get better ratings so I want to use them more" but it's sort of a self fulfilling prophecy because they're generally more popular due to having more TV time and actual storylines.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

IcePhoenix posted:

I think WBD plays a part of it only as deep as "the men are more popular so they get better ratings so I want to use them more" but it's sort of a self fulfilling prophecy because they're generally more popular due to having more TV time and actual storylines.

To be fair, in AEW's case, the reason why MJF, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Adam Cole, Kenny Omega, Chris Jericho, etc are more popular is not solely because they're featured on the shows more.

We've been over this but it is okay to admit that Anna Jay and The Bunny are not as interesting to watch or as good in the ring as MJF and Bryan Danielson.

I like a good four or five women in the division, the rest are green/bland/bad and very few women in AEW can cut a non-cringe promo. Collision has been featuring women better and they're given more storylines but come on, Mercedes Martinez is cool but she's not moving tickets like the main event stars that people tune in to see every week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

Given no American promotions does this, I would think not.

Pick a random NWA show, there will be one women's match, sometimes zero. Random Impact will have one, maybe two. There are Raws with 3 minutes of women's wrestling in 3 hours.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 23, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Given no American promotions does this, I would think not.

Pick a random NWA show, there will be one women's match, sometimes zero. Random Impact will have one, maybe two. There are Raws with 3 minutes of women's wrestling in 3 hours.

Yeah, but that's still 3 Raw matches

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fawning deference posted:

To be fair, in AEW's case, the reason why MJF, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Adam Cole, Kenny Omega, Chris Jericho, etc are more popular is not solely because they're featured on the shows more.

We've been over this but it is okay to admit that Anna Jay and The Bunny are not as interesting to watch or as good in the ring as MJF and Bryan Danielson.

I like a good four or five women in the division, the rest are green/bland/bad and very few women in AEW can cut a non-cringe promo. Collision has been featuring women better and they're given more storylines but come on, Mercedes Martinez is cool but she's not moving tickets like the main event stars that people tune in to see every week.

I'm more talking about women like Nyla, Athena (who is showing now in RoH why she should have been given way more time in AEW), Riho, Serena, Tay (before pregnancy). Women who were getting reactions from the audience already before going away again. Stat was just off TV for what felt like a month as the TBS champion before coming back to collision recently.

Add all them to Shida, Willow, and the Outcasts and you have plenty of Women to do more with if you want to. Tony doesn't :shrug:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nyla stopped really getting reactions because she stuck herself to Vickie Guererro which turned out to be a horrible career decision, Athena has gotten the space to make her character in ROH in a way that she wouldn't get in AEW, Riho has a habit of getting injured or spending time in Japan, Serena is MIA but you can probably assume there's a good reason for it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yaya posted:

I don't want to be The Billionaire Defender, but the juxtaposition between women's booking in ROH and AEW has me thinking WBD probably plays a part in it

I don't think it's WBD as much as "What Tony thinks draws" vs "What he personally wants to see". WBD doesn't seem to be that deeply involved in any other part of the product.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm more talking about women like Nyla, Athena (who is showing now in RoH why she should have been given way more time in AEW), Riho, Serena, Tay (before pregnancy). Women who were getting reactions from the audience already before going away again. Stat was just off TV for what felt like a month as the TBS champion before coming back to collision recently.

Add all them to Shida, Willow, and the Outcasts and you have plenty of Women to do more with if you want to. Tony doesn't :shrug:

The Outcasts/Shida/Britt/Skye/Hayter (when healthy)/Willow/Mercedes/Stat all have ongoing stuff right now and given time on both shows, with the occasional appearance from someone like Anna Jay to fill out the midcard. I don't really see how AEW can realistically do much more than this without hearing "they don't use Ricky Starks/Darby Allin/Miro/The Acclaimed enough" the other way.

It's a bit delusional to think that Riho and Nyla should get more TV time in favor of top stars who draw way more money and ratings for the company.

PS. Tay is the absolute worst promo in AEW. Unbelievably bad. You would feature her in storylines on national television?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Pylons posted:

Nyla stopped really getting reactions because she stuck herself to Vickie Guererro which turned out to be a horrible career decision, Athena has gotten the space to make her character in ROH in a way that she wouldn't get in AEW, Riho has a habit of getting injured or spending time in Japan, Serena is MIA but you can probably assume there's a good reason for it.

All of this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Outcasts/Shida/Britt/Skye/Hayter (when healthy)/Willow/Mercedes/Stat all have ongoing stuff right now and given time on both shows, with the occasional appearance from someone like Anna Jay to fill out the midcard. I don't really see how AEW can realistically do much more than this without hearing "they don't use Ricky Starks/Darby Allin/Miro/The Acclaimed enough" the other way.

It's a bit delusional to think that Riho and Nyla should get more TV time in favor of top stars who draw way more money and ratings for the company.

PS. Tay is the absolute worst promo in AEW. Unbelievably bad. You would feature her in storylines on national television?

They can stop signing new wrestlers. That'd be a start. Especially ones I enjoy watching :(

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I’m betting the Serena/Scrull connection has something to do with it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Outcasts/Shida/Britt/Skye/Hayter (when healthy)/Willow/Mercedes/Stat all have ongoing stuff right now and given time on both shows

Yes that's why I said to add the people I mentioned to them.

I don't really see how AEW can realistically do much more than this without hearing "they don't use Ricky Starks/Darby Allin/Miro/The Acclaimed enough" the other way. It's a bit delusional to think that Riho and Nyla should get more TV time in favor of top stars who draw way more money and ratings for the company.

I'd like to see more Women's storylines but this was sort of already what I was getting at before. But saying it's delusional that the women should get more tv time over established acts is stupid. Guys like Miro, Darby, the Acclaimed, etc, got time to get over and got over. Riho was over as hell before she disappeared. OC was just a weird gimmick but Tony kept using him and he got over as hell. Is it possible that a lot of them would fail given the chance? Sure. The point is that they aren't given the chance. That's exactly what I'm talking about with the self fulfilling prophecy part.

Jack Perry used to be an awful promo too but they gave him TV time and woah he got better, crazy (he's still kinda bad though).

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I’m betting the Serena/Scrull connection has something to do with it

They were dating when she was on TV all the time, so I doubt it's that. My guess is she's either injured, busy running her training school, or TK can't figure out something for her to do.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd like to see more Women's storylines but this was sort of already what I was getting at before. But saying it's delusional that the women should get more tv time over established acts is stupid. Guys like Miro, Darby, the Acclaimed, etc, got time to get over and got over. Riho was over as hell before she disappeared. OC was just a weird gimmick but Tony kept using him and he got over as hell. Is it possible that a lot of them would fail given the chance? Sure. The point is that they aren't given the chance. That's exactly what I'm talking about with the self fulfilling prophecy part.

Before The Acclaimed, Miro, and Darby got tons of TV time for their angles (and arguably Miro still doesn't get tons of time) they had to show they were worth it in shorter segments that were maybe one or two minutes long. If you want Tony to give you more minutes, maximize the minutes you have. That's why Britt gets as much as she does, and why Toni is probably going to get pushed with this new character.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Isn't Riho one of the most consistent ratings movers in the company?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Isn't Riho one of the most consistent ratings movers in the company?

she used to be early on but her drawing power has pretty much petered out during her last run with britt and hayter

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

How has Tony not given some of these women enough time? The whole mid card has gotten occasional segments and matches on national TV plenty of times. Some of them just haven't shown much. Nyla Rose gets no crowd reaction and she's not very good, and it's been a couple of years now, etc. Anna Jay is getting better but she's not fully ready to be a staple, so she gets a match here and there. It's up to people to maximize their time, as has been said. Willow and Skye have maximized their time and obviously have something worth exploring on national television so Tony books them consistently in segments. I really don't know what else you would have the guy do with a division that is very green and not particularly good. All the best women are routinely featured.

Also Riho has been injured / in Japan a lot, so it's been hard to book her regularly I think. But she doesn't get the reactions in recent matches that she used to.

Also Tay has cut promos before and they've arguably gotten worse, not better, over time. She's horrendous.

Jack Perry is better as a heel but still is kind of play-acting through what he thinks a heel should be like.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 23, 2023

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's way better now than a year ago, where on a consistent basis, they'd announce the 4 men's matches for Dynamite on Wednesday, and then maybe tuesday night they'd announce "Nyla Rose in action" or something to that effect. And then if you were lucky right before or after the 9:20 Squash there'd be a promo to set up the one women's storyline going, usually involving the woman who was about to/just wrestled.

It''s still an afterthought but usually not that blatant anymore. The defenses of "they get enough time just watch Dark/ROH" and "you complain about this every week shut up and enjoy yoru Outcast/Britt squash" still get bandied around though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
AEW needs more women’s angles than women’s belts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How has Tony not given some of these women enough time? The whole mid card has gotten occasional segments and matches on national TV plenty of times. Some of them just haven't shown much. Nyla Rose gets no crowd reaction and she's not very good, and it's been a couple of years now, etc. Anna Jay is getting better but she's not fully ready to be a staple, so she gets a match here and there. It's up to people to maximize their time, as has been said. Willow and Skye have maximized their time and obviously have something worth exploring on national television so Tony books them consistently in segments. I really don't know what else you would have the guy do with a division that is very green and not particularly good. All the best women are routinely featured.

Also Riho has been injured / in Japan a lot, so it's been hard to book her regularly I think. But she doesn't get the reactions in recent matches that she used to.

Also Tay has cut promos before and they've arguably gotten worse, not better, over time. She's horrendous.

Jack Perry is better as a heel but still is kind of play-acting through what he thinks a heel should be like.

"The women shouldn't get more time because they're not talented enough" is basically every single man in power in every form of entertainment in the last 100 years. It's never gonna be an argument that's gonna go unchallenged. Cuz even if it's true, then the answer isn't 'don't give them time' it's 'hire the women that are talented'.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

I think most people want belts because they'll lead to angles, since that's a fairly reliable way for Tony to pay attention to something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pylons posted:

Before The Acclaimed, Miro, and Darby got tons of TV time for their angles (and arguably Miro still doesn't get tons of time) they had to show they were worth it in shorter segments that were maybe one or two minutes long. If you want Tony to give you more minutes, maximize the minutes you have. That's why Britt gets as much as she does, and why Toni is probably going to get pushed with this new character.

I agree, I would love to see this happen more with the Women's division. It doesn't really happen very much.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Edward Mass posted:

Speaking of women's angles, the Jade undefeated tbs reign really ended on a whimper didn't it?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Another thread please if it’s not too much trouble

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That is not a fair response, at all.

Some women have been good and have deservedly earned more time on national television. Other women have not been good and you don't see them as much or at all. In no way have I said "the women are less talented and shouldn't get their time" because I'm a man in power who just doesn't want to see women. That's not an argument.

The division is green and fairly thin, and AEW is not going to take out a match or a segment involving their top stars that people pay to see in order to feature Nyla Rose or Tay Conti more. However, it's clear that Tony is willing to push women who get over, like Willow or Toni or Jamie or Britt or Shida or Ruby or Jade or Kris or Skye, etc.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

yea ok posted:

Another thread please if it’s not too much trouble

Yeah I actually just realized this isn't the thread for it. Sorry for the derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AEW womens division chat spoils every other thread it seeps into so maybe this is the right thread