Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

aware of dog posted:

To go back to this tweet for a second:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/925006418989715456
I just realized he says there "is" no collusion. Which may be technically true but seems it may lead to a Clintonesque "depends on what the definition of 'is' is" situation.

I think you are really badly overestimating Trump's understanding of semantics.

TAXATION EDIT:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Calaveron posted:

So what kind of day is today

it's Ivanka's birthday

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I assume these hearings are behind closed doors right?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

I mean I want him gone too but is "Hey let's not actually have Trump meet with these people that would look really bad" illegal?

Well, the way I read it was not that they didn't want Trump meeting with the Russian government because it was illegal, but rather they did it to not send "a message" which may be saying that they didn't want the Russian government to think they were extremely important to the whole situation, yet still considering the Russian support to be important.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
There is going to be enough spin going on in Washington today that it could cover the world's electricity needs for a decade at least.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Nobody knows.

I mean I’m sure this isn’t the first time the FBI has arrested people for money laundering or conspiracy or whatever. I was asking from experience what are the next steps here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

My favourite thing about this is the apostrophe. High Ranking Official is so loving dumb they don't even understand basic grammar.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Manafort and his buddy are headed for arraignment, and will have initial bond set. They won't plead guilty or not guilty, their counsel will enter appearance, and then the case will be set over for a scheduling hearing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

no, definitely not, im just hoping

Well at the very least if that person was Sessions this pretty much completely prevents Sessions from un-recusing himself from anything remotely related to the investigation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Randbrick posted:

Manafort and his buddy are headed for arraignment, and will have initial bond set. They won't plead guilty or not guilty, their counsel will enter appearance, and then the case will be set over for a scheduling hearing.

I wonder what bail is for this kind of charge. I can't imagine that Manafort has that much cash lying around.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/925018419514273792

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/925018602859913217

edit: that's papadopolous third from the left

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Calaveron posted:

It's the day where a bunch of idiots look at a legal document without knowing how to parse what's actually written, before jumping to whatever conclusion best fits their own world view.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wait, I thought Erick Erickson was that RedState never-trumper? Has he flipped to the pro-Trump column?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/925027543132012549

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I wonder what bail is for this kind of charge. I can't imagine that Manafort has that much cash lying around.

Any judge who grants Manafort or the other guy bail is either the most monumental idiot in American history or a complicit Republican.

They might as well walk around with sandwich boards labeled “flight risk.”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

““President Trump is not the person who I wanted to be in that office, and I’ve been very open about that. That being said, he is the president,””

No, gently caress you.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

dwarf74 posted:

Wait, I thought Erick Erickson was that RedState never-trumper? Has he flipped to the pro-Trump column?
Ericksonsonson, like Shapiro, has always been a mostly nominal "never-Trump" who still spends most of his time talking about how liberals are overreacting

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lightning Knight posted:

Any judge who grants Manafort or the other guy bail is either the most monumental idiot in American history or a complicit Republican.

They might as well walk around with sandwich boards labeled “flight risk.”

Why even surrender then? They could have just skipped town without all the pomp and circumstance, either way they would be fugitives.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

My favourite thing about this is the apostrophe. High Ranking Official is so loving dumb they don't even understand basic grammar.

So it's Bannon?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Didn't we, uh, all do that?

Weren't we almost all REALLY SURE Hillary was going to win?

He was helped by foreign actors. Without their assistance he had no loving chance. THEY underestimated the effect they were going to have.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

dwarf74 posted:

He’s still a conservative and he wants those sweet tax cuts. His criticism of Trump is that he’s not conservative enough.

Also, today readers were surprised to learn that rich old white man Bryan Cranston has bad opinions. Who would’ve thought? And really, who cares? Those are pretty low-grade bad opinions and he isn’t actually politically important so whatever.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

The Papadopoulos thing, and this whole investigation in general, is a threat to a lot of people and not just Trump.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Chilichimp posted:

He was helped by foreign actors. Without their assistance he had no loving chance. THEY underestimated the effect they were going to have.

Kinda like the class idiot that cheats and gets 100% on the test...looks suspicious as gently caress and someone is going to look into it. If hed gone for scraping a pass...no one bats an eyelid.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Calaveron posted:

Today is a sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises! Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride to ruin and the world's ending! Death! Death! Death! Death! DEATH!

(note to Secret Service: I am not calling for the death of anyone. I am quoting a movie.)

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Those tweets this morning didn't do it for me though. Didn't someone say something about a press conference at 1pm EST today?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Why even surrender then? They could have just skipped town without all the pomp and circumstance, either way they would be fugitives.

Could be a number of reasons. First, they were probably being monitored by the FBI and concluded brokering a deal was better than risking a violent confrontation. Second, if they make it out to some Eastern European or Latin American country, they become the CIA’s problem, and given the choice I’d rather deal with the FBI personally.

That’s just conjecture on my end, but if they made bail I would immediately expect them to head straight for a private plane to Moscow.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Oh ew.

As an aside, there is someone from Trump's camp (Steve Rogers) on CNN talking about how this should be about Hillary, and you can hear everyone off camera laughing at him. That was pretty loving hilarious if anyone saw it. Even Not Captain America finally smiled at the end because he knew how dumb he sounded.

Lightning Knight posted:

Could be a number of reasons. First, they were probably being monitored by the FBI and concluded brokering a deal was better than risking a violent confrontation. Second, if they make it out to some Eastern European or Latin American country, they become the CIA’s problem, and given the choice I’d rather deal with the FBI personally.

That’s just conjecture on my end, but if they made bail I would immediately expect them to head straight for a private plane to Moscow.

Also, there would have been tremendous pressure put on his family, if that were to happen. They were saying this morning they are already dipping into the finances of his daughters and his wife - it'd be even worse if he ran. Now having said that, if I recall correctly, back when his daughters were texting and it went public, they were talking about what a scumbag he was for cheating on their mom so openly. So maybe he doesn't even care about his family.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 30, 2017

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Oh no, Bryan, why.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Exactly the sort of West Wing bullshit we don't need.

What the gently caress is the value of respecting the ~office~ if it's held by a senile racist.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I get that he's really trying to say that in theory nobody should want to see whoever the POTUS is fail, but at the same time, it's not a good look because it implies he's had good ideas in office. He hasn't.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Can't Trump just say "there was no collusion, we need to move on so I'm firing Mueller, here's a bunch of pardons"?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
There was supposedly a mystery 3rd indictment dropping today, but the special prosecutors office has said no more are dropping. Then I read this:

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/924699698509832192

"unannounced trip" scale of 1-10, how hosed is Kushner?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Grassley has already said they won't hold hearings, which is why they've technically not gone out of session this year so trump can't recess appoint.

Though I know there's always a bit of this sort of thing, that they're so adamant about it with someone from their own party shows how much trust they put in the guy.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Kelly posted:

Oh ew.

As an aside, there is someone from Trump's camp (Steve Rogers) on CNN talking about how this should be about Hillary, and you can hear everyone off camera laughing at him. That was pretty loving hilarious if anyone saw it. Even Not Captain America finally smiled at the end because he knew how dumb he sounded.

This I think
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/925028891357351936

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
People really need to get over this President = Royalty poo poo. They're politicians with policy objectives. When those objectives are bad for the country, hoping for their failure is entirely in-bounds.

Can we please go Parliamentary after Germany ends up bombing and then liberating us?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Finally catching up and I see infrastructure week is off to a cracking start

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Faustian Bargain posted:

Can't Trump just say "there was no collusion, we need to move on so I'm firing Mueller, here's a bunch of pardons"?

He could, yeah. The Republicans would probably back him.

What that does to their polling numbers is a mystery. :iiam:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

oh cool, now I get to not like Brian Cranston very much.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

There was supposedly a mystery 3rd indictment dropping today, but the special prosecutors office has said no more are dropping. Then I read this:

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/924699698509832192

"unannounced trip" scale of 1-10, how hosed is Kushner?

We had three. Manafort, gates and the 'surprise' plea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They were definitely being surveilled and would have been cuffed and perp walked if they did anything other than get in a car and drive to the FBI field office.

• Locked thread