Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I remember thinking the same thing when Blu-Ray first came out, but now I have to have it on BR or not at all. Eventually 4k will be the standard.

In terms of resolution, here's the digital and film equivalents...

UHD = 35mm at worst, standard 70mm at best
Blu-Ray = 16mm at worst, standard 35mm at best
DVD = 8mm at worst, 16mm at best
Laserdisc = 8mm at best
VHS = lol

Even if TV material is shot in 35mm, there's a point where it may be too sharp. I have the Blu-Ray of The Prisoner. It's obvious they opted to soften the image a little because there's a lot of problems visible that literally no one would have been able to see upon the original broadcast. Wires, patchy makeup, scuffs on sets. They knew it wouldn't show up on a TV set, but didn't anticipate that we'd be watching the show with the quality of a first-run movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Liar Lyre posted:

I remember thinking the same thing when Blu-Ray first came out, but now I have to have it on BR or not at all. Eventually 4k will be the standard.

Thing is, hasn't the uptake of BR still been quite a bit lower than that of DVD? Part of that is everyone going all-digital, death of physical media, etc., but do the companies have any plan to avoid the market narrowing even further?

Like, the timing is fine- DVD had a solid decade of dominance, it's been a little over 10 years since the HD formats came in, so this isn't sudden, but... well, not a lot of people bought Blu-Rays, what makes Sony or Universal think they can sell a ton of UHD?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If 4K becomes king eventually, its throne won't be on physical media.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 11, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is, hasn't the uptake of BR still been quite a bit lower than that of DVD? Part of that is everyone going all-digital, death of physical media, etc., but do the companies have any plan to avoid the market narrowing even further?

Like, the timing is fine- DVD had a solid decade of dominance, it's been a little over 10 years since the HD formats came in, so this isn't sudden, but... well, not a lot of people bought Blu-Rays, what makes Sony or Universal think they can sell a ton of UHD?

I don't know, but I'm sure as gently caress not buying a 4k player if they remain around $300.00. Blu-Rays look more than good enough for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RedSpider posted:

I don't know, but I'm sure as gently caress not buying a 4k player if they remain around $300.00. Blu-Rays look more than good enough for me.
Yeah, I don't even own a 4k TV yet and I can't see myself upgrading unless my current 1080p TV breaks. There doesn't really seem like enough of a reason to. Similarly, I probably won't buy a UHD player unless I get an Xbox or something, and I don't know why I would since I already have a PS4 Pro :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have a 4K setup and I can see a small difference, but I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade (at least not yet). To be fair though, everything I have in 4K is from the last 2 years, maybe an older film without cg would look better.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Also it's just a natural progression. Today you can't almost buy a brand new TV over 40 inches that isn't 4k.

And 4k disc's have been pretty cheap if you just wait for a sale. I got John wick 2 uhd for like 15 bucks.

The player is the only expensive part but I wanted an Xbox one and that filled it with the 4k player one s model.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The problem is that, from what I understand, it's a waste to buy a 4K television if it doesn't have HDR, and lo and behold all of those great deals for <$500 don't have it. I'm not really in a position to spend 700 or 800 on a new t.v. that's only going to be a small upgrade.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Basebf555 posted:

The problem is that, from what I understand, it's a waste to buy a 4K television if it doesn't have HDR, and lo and behold all of those great deals for <$500 don't have it. I'm not really in a position to spend 700 or 800 on a new t.v. that's only going to be a small upgrade.

The only reason to buy a 4K non-HDR TV is your 1080p set died and that's all you can afford at the size you want.

That's how I ended up with mine. I just pretend it's a 1080p set.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

The only reason to buy a 4K non-HDR TV is your 1080p set died and that's all you can afford at the size you want.

Exactly, and my set is still ok right now. If it craps out, sure I'd spring for something with HDR 4K, but that's not my situation right now. I'd be buying it just for the upgrade and no other reason, which I can't justify until it comes down into the $300-$500 range.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Grabbed the Labyrinth 4K UHD set from Prime Day for $14.99. It sold out within 10 seconds.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Basebf555 posted:

Cheapest one I saw that can do HDR is this Roku TV for $600

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...p?skuId=5878705

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speaking of 4K, Nolan confirmed he's started remastering the Dark Knight Trilogy. No release date, but that should be a must have set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Speaking of 4K, Nolan confirmed he's started remastering the Dark Knight Trilogy. No release date, but that should be a must have set.

Batman Begins will have to be re-done from scratch, but the 35mm portions of The Dark Knight and Rises were scanned in 6K for the original DCPs, with the IMAX portions in 11K.

If they still have the scans, the UHDs ought to be great. Rises looks amazing on Blu-Ray, but The Dark Knight has some really ugly processing on the 35mm bulk of the film that originated from the 2K DCP.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Isn't the difference between a blu-ray and a UHD something that's only relevant if your screen is measured in feet and not inches?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

Isn't the difference between a blu-ray and a UHD something that's only relevant if your screen is measured in feet and not inches?

Or if you like sitting 2-3 feet from your tv like me

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Pretty much the only advantage is a wider color gamut and HDR. You're simply not going to see any difference from a normal distance on a monitor.

And if the master is newer/improved over the existing Blu-Rays. The upcoming first four Harry Potter movies will be a definite improvement because the existing Blu-Rays all come from mid-2000s masters with VC1 compression and BD-25s.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw a whole stack of HD-DVD films at the fleamarket last week. It felt really weird. Like accidentally stepping on an overgrown grave.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

FreudianSlippers posted:

I saw a whole stack of HD-DVD films at the fleamarket last week. It felt really weird. Like accidentally stepping on an overgrown grave.

Did you buy them? I bet you could have gotten them all for pocket change.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

I could use an hd version of ambien

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Egbert Souse posted:

Pretty much the only advantage is a wider color gamut and HDR. You're simply not going to see any difference from a normal distance on a monitor.

And if the master is newer/improved over the existing Blu-Rays. The upcoming first four Harry Potter movies will be a definite improvement because the existing Blu-Rays all come from mid-2000s masters with VC1 compression and BD-25s.

Yeah this will be especially nice. That's the main reason I sold off my ultimate blu-ray discs, and will just pick up the UHDs in a new set.
Plus, the ultimates really took up too much space. I'm done with oversized collections (still keeping my lawrence of ariba)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My main concern with 4k TV is gaming so unless they invent a set with negative input lag I'm fairly good I think. Maybe when Micomsoft comes out with a rad 4k-capable XRGB.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
4K monitors excite me more than 4K TVs because sitting close to a monitor and looking at graphics and text is a situation that more clearly benefits from the increased sharpness. Of course, if I happen to watch a video as well, it's nice if it's in 4K. So it's good that they're mastering stuff in 4K now, because why not --but I'm not going to throw out my TV for it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

TheScott2K posted:

Would you, or anyone really, mind explaining what all that means to me like I am dumb, because I am dumb? tia

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Happy Hippo posted:

Would you, or anyone really, mind explaining what all that means to me like I am dumb, because I am dumb? tia

4K = about 4,000 pixels wide (also known as 2160p)
1080p = 1920px wide (because changing the naming structure of things is fun for people who don't keep up with this stuff apparently). It's close enough to 2K, and 4K is essentially double resolution in each direction.
HDR = High Dynamic Range, which is the ability to use a wider range of colors, and have brighter scenes while preserving detail in darker areas.

You need to be sitting pretty close to very big screen to get extra benefit of just 4K on it's own, as 1080p is already really good for the home and in most situations you won't be seeing the pixels. HDR is the selling point of the new tech, as it has the ability to make the picture look a lot different.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just as an example of a film that would probably benefit from HDR, I watched The Lost City of Z last night. It's full of these jungle scenes with the lush greens everywhere, but there's also some very significant night scenes that are only lit by torches, and HDR would make both really pop in a way that would be tough to accomplish otherwise.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sayin 4k and hdr are a gimmick is laughable. Once you go 4k you can't go back it's like blu ray to DVD.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

Sayin 4k and hdr are a gimmick is laughable. Once you go 4k you can't go back it's like blu ray to DVD.

Not that they are a gimmick when used properly, but that 4k is a gimmick when not also paired with HDR. From what I've read, without HDR you'd have to have like a 60 inch screen only a few feet away from your face to see much of a difference between 4k and 1080p. HDR is really where 4k shines and it's pointless without it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Are all these features meant to give more accurate presentations of the media or is it just "Hey look! We sharpened the image." truthfully I don't know enough about the technology to judge it, but to me it just sounds like the kind of "This doesn't look HD enough!" bullshit that ruined a lot of blu-ray releases.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Streaming 4K atm is a gimmick because the bitrate is worse than your run of the mill retail BDs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Are all these features meant to give more accurate presentations of the media or is it just "Hey look! We sharpened the image." truthfully I don't know enough about the technology to judge it, but to me it just sounds like the kind of "This doesn't look HD enough!" bullshit that ruined a lot of blu-ray releases.

Which blu-ray releases do you say or have been notable for being ruined?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Universal had a terrible track record for a while because they kept going back to early 2000s transfers instead of new scans and masters.

They've since changed in the last few years. At least for the last three years, their standard procedure is to scan at 6K and master at 4K regardless of the film.

By the way, Cohen released a trailer for their upcoming release of The Old Dark House:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglykBEXHO0

New 4K restoration from the original negative and fine-grains. Should be coming in October.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Detective No. 27 posted:

'Predator' is a common answer, they messed that blu ray up by using too much DNR.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Blu-rays of the first six Star Trek movies are absolutely loving terrible. Wrath of Khan at least got a 4K remaster last year so it doesn't have the hideous blue sheen that the original Blu-ray did, but the other five movies are just hideous.

Edit: Oh, and the original 2009 Blu-ray of Ghostbusters is a goddamn crime.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh snap. Are you talking about that white box set that was going for cheap around the time Into Darkness came out?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh snap. Are you talking about that white box set that was going for cheap around the time Into Darkness came out?

Yep. The masters were all done back in 2009 and Paramount just did a cheap, slapdash job on them to get them out the door alongside the 2009 reboot Blu-ray. They're DNRed to hell and the color timing in Khan, Search for Spock and Undiscovered Country looks like it was done by a monkey tripping balls. The Motion Picture survived relatively unscathed but it still has excessive DNR, which is hilarious because half the movie was shot with soft focus in the first place so it already looks like it has Vaseline on the lens.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 12, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive has another 4 for $44 sale going on.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Xenomrph posted:

'Predator' is a common answer, they messed that blu ray up by using too much DNR.

I have no idea what you're talking abo...

:catstare:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I enjoyed that video tour through Madam Tussund's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The worst major studio release I've seen, though, is The Sword in the Stone:

It's bad enough someone thought this would be acceptable even for DVD, but that Disney never corrected it. Despite having a fresh 4K transfer from which the Amazon rental/download version is from!

• Locked thread