Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Random Hero posted:

Looks like a 18" WSM. What temp are you smoking those at?

Yeah 270 ish. Higher than with meat.

No water either but sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

So I think at this point for the 4th I'm doing a brisket and pork belly burnt ends, but I'm looking for something else to round out the menu. As a person that just eats red meat and has no other knowledge, is there some sort of seafood (or non red meat) that would benefit from a long smoke? Most of the fish I've done is either a short smoke or a long cold smoke.

E: I've done plenty of chicken too, so that is an option in my back pocket.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
On a similar note, I picked up a nice long, several-pound atlantic salmon fillet and was considering doing a weekend smoke for it. Are there any basics I need to understand to not gently caress it up? I'm guessing it will be a fairly short, maybe an hour or two?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Also interested in smoking salmon. Any info would be appreciated.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Big fan of this recipe. You can do it a little hotter, won't hurt. It is a quick smoke, but you need to cure beforehand. My wife's absolute favorite thing to come out of the smoker. Goes great with cream cheese, crackers, lemon, and capers.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-smoked-salmon-two-ways-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174543

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?) that farmed salmon is better for smoking than wild caught?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

So I think at this point for the 4th I'm doing a brisket and pork belly burnt ends, but I'm looking for something else to round out the menu. As a person that just eats red meat and has no other knowledge, is there some sort of seafood (or non red meat) that would benefit from a long smoke? Most of the fish I've done is either a short smoke or a long cold smoke.

E: I've done plenty of chicken too, so that is an option in my back pocket.

I'm doing a couple of turkeys I got for $5 each on clearance from Thanksgiving like a clown.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?) that farmed salmon is better for smoking than wild caught?

I've heard this as well because farmed it fattier than wild. But that basically means it's just more foolproof from my understanding.

I've followed this before (Although a hotter smoke stove I used my WSM):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk3xl6H9o94

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Big fan of this recipe. You can do it a little hotter, won't hurt. It is a quick smoke, but you need to cure beforehand. My wife's absolute favorite thing to come out of the smoker. Goes great with cream cheese, crackers, lemon, and capers.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-smoked-salmon-two-ways-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174543

May try this on a kettle for easier setup than on a vertical charcoal smoker- looks like there would be room on a 22" for indirect heat

Seems like a perfect match for a shorter smoke but I've never tried anything that low temp on a kettle

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

In the past I've said I prefer farm raised. I think others have said similar, others have disagreed. It'll be good no matter what!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Farm-raised vs. wild caught is less important than the variety of salmon. Farm-raised is typically better just because they are raising super fatty varieties as well, but a wild caught Atlantic or king can also be super fatty and buttery. Go to your fish place and get whatever looks the fattiest and thickest, that you can afford. I tend to buy up the tail sections whenever I am doing something like spicy salmon rolls where it won't make a difference, but if I'm smoking or steaking them, I do not feel any shame asking them to cut the thickest piece they can get me.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I will add - the greatest smoked salmon I've ever had is wild caught from a fish mongerer in Oregon.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Vargo posted:

On a similar note, I picked up a nice long, several-pound atlantic salmon fillet and was considering doing a weekend smoke for it. Are there any basics I need to understand to not gently caress it up? I'm guessing it will be a fairly short, maybe an hour or two?

I've posted a lot about how much I love smoked salmon in the thread, I'm a big fan of this recipe:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&pagenumber=281&perpage=40&userid=0#post498338006

E: I think the temp I list in that post is a bit high. It'll be done, super tender and juicy at 135 internal. I can't rave hard enough about how much I like that fish. To
I would also say just get the fattiest fish you see at the store, which is usually going to be farm raised. The fat just melts in your mouth after smoking, it's like fish/bacon/candy

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 2, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God almighty. I had held off cooking ribs since getting that little bit of transparent silver skin was an almighty pain in the rear end and took forever. Turns out the skin was removed by the butcher and I was fretting over some barely there membrane. Anyway these baby backs will be done in a few minutes and I’m debating getting into regularly cooking them now.

Also if any of you need a portable fan, Claymore makes a drat good one. Ideal for keeping cool while in the shade on a muggy day.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What’s your price on baby backs? I used to be able to get them for $5 or $6 a rack a few years ago in NC. Now they’re $15 a rack in NW FL.

They’re easily one of my favorite smokes because they’re nigh impossible to mess up, don’t take forever, and everyone loves ribs.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I'm currently attempting to smoke some beef back ribs, but using my cheap offset as a smoker for the first time (been using it as a direct charcoal grill).

My temperatures are seeing more ups and down than a roller coaster, this is fun. Getting the proper blue smoke consistently though, so that's nice.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bob A Feet posted:

What’s your price on baby backs? I used to be able to get them for $5 or $6 a rack a few years ago in NC. Now they’re $15 a rack in NW FL.

They’re easily one of my favorite smokes because they’re nigh impossible to mess up, don’t take forever, and everyone loves ribs.

$15 a rack is what it's always been here in New England. Roughly $3/lb. I'd smoke a LOT more if I had access to those kind of prices. Or Midwest beef prices.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Rib talk got me a hankering to smoke up a few racks, debone and make MoeyMcRib sandwiches.

I should put this plan into motion.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I don't think I've seen any kind of ribs for under $5.50/lb or so

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Packer party!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I will see your brisket and raise you a bone-in ribeye

A big piece of meat is key for a happy 4th of July

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Did a brisket last weekend, carne asada last night, burgers and jalapeño poppers tonight, pork butt tomorrow. RIP my grill and my intestines. Happy 4th.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Cottaging this weekend with family and the BIL brought up his barely used Traeger pro 22 pellet smoker.

This thing is stupid easy to use (set the temp and go effectively), but drat, when it fails, it fails hard.

Looks like the temp probe is failing as the unit every so often would claim the pit dropped like 100f quickly. Caused the unit to do an automatic emergency shutdown, which turns off the heat, but still loads lots of pellets into the heater cup.

The correct solution is to unload the drat pit, vacuum out all the pellets and fire it back up for like 15min and then reload the food.

gently caress that (what, read instructions?), but just restarting the unit causes enough smoke to be wondering if neighbors would call the fire department as those extra pellets ignited. (note, this is when I read the instructions)

Somehow the couple of racks of ribs came out great still. At least the probe is cheap to replace.

Of note, the local butcher had "tomahawk beef ribs", which were basically individual rib cap on bone. Gotta like a butcher who tries something different.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I bought a picanha at Costco. How should I cook it?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

I bought a picanha at Costco. How should I cook it?

They're great. This is how I do them. Definitely get some chimichurri going.

https://umamigirl.com/sirloin-cap/

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

God almighty. I had held off cooking ribs since getting that little bit of transparent silver skin was an almighty pain in the rear end and took forever. Turns out the skin was removed by the butcher and I was fretting over some barely there membrane. Anyway these baby backs will be done in a few minutes and I’m debating getting into regularly cooking them now.

I’ve done that a couple of times myself. Spending like 15 minutes trying to get the membrane only to realize it was already removed. Sometimes it’s hard to tell. Now, if I can’t easily pull a membrane off like the plastic on a new tv screen, I just assume it’s not there. Haven’t gone wrong yet!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’ve always taken the membrane off until the last cook of two racks. For those I just scored them and didn’t even notice they were there when eating them.

I’m not bothering anymore.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I always take them off for spare ribs since it's so drat easy, but I never take them off for beef or pork baby back ribs now.

I used to be fussy as hell with baby back ribs. Pull membrane, 3-1-1 them, spray during first three hours, etc etc.

The last time I just scored the bottom, never sprayed them, didn't open the smoker except one or twice at the end, did 5 and a half hours at 250. They were the best baby backs I ever made.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Paul Proteus posted:

I always take them off for spare ribs since it's so drat easy, but I never take them off for beef or pork baby back ribs now.

I used to be fussy as hell with baby back ribs. Pull membrane, 3-1-1 them, spray during first three hours, etc etc.

The last time I just scored the bottom, never sprayed them, didn't open the smoker except one or twice at the end, did 5 and a half hours at 250. They were the best baby backs I ever made.

This has been my findings with ribs as well, people church them up way too much for such a "kind" cut to bbq.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The first time I did pork ribs I didn't wrap them and they ended up dry so I've been afraid to not wrap for an hour ever since so I've been doing 3-1-1.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Did some beef back ribs yesterday, using my COS as a smoker instead of grill for the first time. I need to get a better smoker because these were amazing and I want more meat toys.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Threw a huge brisket on around 9:30 last night, and forgot to toss my thermoworks unit in a ziploc with scattered light rain in the forecast overnight. Around 3:30am my temp alarm starts going off with both probes claiming they hit 203. Rush out to check and my pen showed 130s everywhere, so at least I didn't have to deal with a brisket that finished way too quick. Ran the probes under cold water and it didn't drop the temp at all, so I just shut it off until this morning. Seems to be working fine now though, both probes match up to what my thermometer is reading and brisket is still at 150.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

And then there was

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 5, 2022

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I have a full brisket in the fridge which I'm not going to get a chance to cook, so I want to freeze it and sous vide later. Salt before freezing? Or freeze, defrost, and then salt?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Canuckistan posted:

I have a full brisket in the fridge which I'm not going to get a chance to cook, so I want to freeze it and sous vide later. Salt before freezing? Or freeze, defrost, and then salt?

I'd say freeze, defrost, then salt, with the mindset that salting first will start drawing moisture while the freezing is happening and that moisture won't have time to be reabsorbed before the meat is frozen.

I'm not a scientist and could very well be talking out of my rear end, but it sounds good in my head.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tomorrow I'm going to try smoking a chicken for the first time in my Weber kettle. I will be using the snake method and chunks of apple wood. I've never smoked anything before, so wondered:

1. Do I have to soak the chunks beforehand?
2. Do I need a water container in there? I saw some people with one, didn't know what would cause me to need one.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to try smoking a chicken for the first time in my Weber kettle. I will be using the snake method and chunks of apple wood. I've never smoked anything before, so wondered:

2. Do I need a water container in there? I saw some people with one, didn't know what would cause me to need one.

no and no.

the water container will help maintain temperature consistency and humidity on a long low temp cook, but for chicken you're gonna be cooking hot and fast so you should be fine without one.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

1. Don’t ever bother smoking wood chunks.
2. Water pan won’t hurt, but for chicken it really won’t help.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

The one reason that a water pan (or just a pan) can be helpful is to catch fat dripping off the chicken. It won't screw up your cooking, but it keeps your grill from getting quite as messy. I cook a ton of chicken legs in a kettle, and I always use one just so I don't have to clean the grill body quite as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

I'm doing a small (6 lb) pork shoulder today to try out that used offset grill that I got.

Seems to be working well so far, but the grate is a little low in the firebox and I started with a little too much charcoal, so it's not breathing as well as I'd like. Definitely is a bit of a struggle to maintain 107C (225F), and the temperature is varying more than I would like.

The good news is I already have a fair idea of what I'd like to modify, and none of it should cost much.

Currently at 57C with a goal temp of 88C by this evening.