Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

verbal enema posted:

Guess I better get to stepping!

State of Area that matters to me

thats the Ottomans occupying the Timurids right now

forgot i kicked oman in the face and made them a vassal so I'm hoping I can keep doing that for at least 10-15 more years while trying to get into africa/ asia

The situation there is kind of less than ideal, coupled with the fact that TO is beating Poland, because Poland-Lithuania are one of the only other stop-gaps against the Ottomans. The only bright side is that that the Mamluks haven't been eaten yet, haha, so you have a tiny bit of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hejaz will live! We hold Medina and Mecca! We are The Keeper of The Two Cities!

Ottomans go home >:c

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FadingChord posted:

Yeah, you'll probably be behind Castille and Portugal in diplomatic tech for a few levels, but you should still have enough naval range to stay busy colonizing North America without it really impacting you.

I managed to stay on-time techwise, annexing the remainder of Scotland was only like 400 diplo but I had to skip taking the last Exploration idea for awhile. By the time that I reached Admin 10 and formed GB I was already way ahead of time in all 3 tech areas again.

Also had a stroke of good fortune: Austria pulled me into another war where it was England + Austria-Hungary + Poland-Lithuania vs France + Ottomans, which got me some nice territory, and toward the end of that war my ally Castille declared their own war against France + Ottomans with only Portugal as an ally. I'm guessing that they were hoping to take territory from a weakened France, but Austria ended our war shortly after that and then Castille was hosed by a huge horde of French and Ottoman armies. They were forced to release Leon (who I immediately vassalized) and Gallicia (who I conquered and merged into Leon) and to break all of their alliances. Thanks those iberian territories, France!

Leagues have just formed, France has joined the Protestants and my ally Austria has joined the Catholics. I've been racking up crazy Papal influence by converting all of my colonies and conquering huge swathes of western Africa and the northeastern US. It might be time to get these league wars started.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

New dev diary about Great Powers?

The short of it is that if a country is sufficiently powerful they can get the Great Power modifier which gives them bonuses, some free power projection that doesn't decay while they're a great power and some new diplo options.

It looks interesting, but it's probably going to make big countries snowball even harder. 1.18 is going to be a hell of a patch.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

QuarkJets posted:

I managed to stay on-time techwise, annexing the remainder of Scotland was only like 400 diplo but I had to skip taking the last Exploration idea for awhile. By the time that I reached Admin 10 and formed GB I was already way ahead of time in all 3 tech areas again.

Also had a stroke of good fortune: Austria pulled me into another war where it was England + Austria-Hungary + Poland-Lithuania vs France + Ottomans, which got me some nice territory, and toward the end of that war my ally Castille declared their own war against France + Ottomans with only Portugal as an ally. I'm guessing that they were hoping to take territory from a weakened France, but Austria ended our war shortly after that and then Castille was hosed by a huge horde of French and Ottoman armies. They were forced to release Leon (who I immediately vassalized) and Gallicia (who I conquered and merged into Leon) and to break all of their alliances. Thanks those iberian territories, France!

Leagues have just formed, France has joined the Protestants and my ally Austria has joined the Catholics. I've been racking up crazy Papal influence by converting all of my colonies and conquering huge swathes of western Africa and the northeastern US. It might be time to get these league wars started.

I actually got lucky with something similar in a Britain game two weeks ago and also wound up with a vassal Leon. If you move aggressively enough with them, you can pretty easily overwhelm Castille and Portugal before either one gets too far into colonizing. I got pretty lazy and wound up not killing either one off (they both survived in the Atlantic islands off the Spanish coast) but that just made it easier to eat their colonies every couple years.

Leon wound up colonizing Louisiana pretty impressively as well, so that was really helpful. The only other major colonizers were a rump Portugal and the Netherlands, so I was able to talk their colonies into rebelling pretty easily. The Ottomans wound up colonizing half of the Pacific Islands because nobody else was interested in them!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That glowing shield looks awful and is gonna be distracting as hell, I hope they'll change it before launch. Having an even more embellished trim or something would be way cooler.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, the glowing shield is kinda ugly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They changed ideas to have a glowey outline instead of the satisfying crisp box they had before too. I really don't think the glowing effect works well with the aesthetic they're going for in the interface.

and while we're at it, the corruption icon is ugly too

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I don't have The Cossacks or Mare Nostrum so I might be out of the loop, but isn't the second flag (after the reinforcing icon) new here, too?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

What is that? It's definitely new to me.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

whoever took over as their UI guy is making a huge mess with the design

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Holy poo poo 2 years into my big break-out war against the Timurids, as Oman, and I realize I accidentally used the "Humiliate Rival" CB. FML.

I guess I just keep them seiged down until rebels start popping up everywhere? Ugh it took 30 years to build up favors with the Ottomans.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Holy poo poo 2 years into my big break-out war against the Timurids, as Oman, and I realize I accidentally used the "Humiliate Rival" CB. FML.

I guess I just keep them seiged down until rebels start popping up everywhere? Ugh it took 30 years to build up favors with the Ottomans.

I did the same thing in my current game. Playing as Ceylon, I own 1/3 of India, Delhi owns 1/3 and Juanpur owns 1/3. I waited for them to declare on each other then I jumped in to take advantage....10 years in and I notice I used the humiliate CB, lmao...ugh.

I am lucky I don't have to deal with this unholy alliance this game at least...hopefully:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If I remember right, if you white peace out they don't lose any war exhaustion

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Indeed, WE is reduced by the percentage warscore of the peace deal. Running Hordes or Ming up to 20 WE and then white peacing will gently caress them up good.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

This is why I never ironman Pdox games. I respect and stick to my own mistakes (like when I overestimated durability / underestimated attrition juuuust by a bit and lost 15 freaking galleons to the seas), but I have no problem reloading to fix a misclick.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

This is why I never ironman Pdox games. I respect and stick to my own mistakes (like when I overestimated durability / underestimated attrition juuuust by a bit and lost 15 freaking galleons to the seas), but I have no problem reloading to fix a misclick.

But cheevos, man. I bang my head when I make a mistake like this, but I just role-play that my diplomats filed the wrong paper work and carry on. Makes things fun.

Tsyni posted:

I am lucky I don't have to deal with this unholy alliance this game at least...hopefully:

Welp, Scandinavia, Ottos, Austria, and GB versus Me, France, and my 5 Colonial nations. Unfortunately France is the only one with tech parity. I guess India is kind of a ticking time bomb, but I never expected it to be Scandinavia that came calling.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mysticblade posted:

New dev diary about Great Powers?

The short of it is that if a country is sufficiently powerful they can get the Great Power modifier which gives them bonuses, some free power projection that doesn't decay while they're a great power and some new diplo options.

It looks interesting, but it's probably going to make big countries snowball even harder. 1.18 is going to be a hell of a patch.

quote:

Break Alliance – This will force a nation to break its alliance with another. They will accept if the target nation is sufficiently afraid of you and you will gain a truce with the nation you force this upon. Useful for stripping your war target of pesky roadblocks.

oh my god yes I have been asking for this since FOREVER

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm not sure why that's a "Great Power only" power, though. Surely if you're scary enough you should be able to bully people into breaking alliances, whether you're one of the top 8 or not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Agreed. All of those actions would be great to have for everyone, just make them easier for great powers.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So there's a paradox sale on right now, and I'm looking to buy a couple of expansions, I assume those would best be Art of War and Common Sense?

Also, is the strategy guide any good? I'm a sucker for those, and I've had EUIV in my library for ages and never played, figure a strat guide is a good way to start.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Unimpressed posted:

So there's a paradox sale on right now, and I'm looking to buy a couple of expansions, I assume those would best be Art of War and Common Sense?

Also, is the strategy guide any good? I'm a sucker for those, and I've had EUIV in my library for ages and never played, figure a strat guide is a good way to start.

Tons of lp's and streams are great guides. Quill18 and Arumba are good examples that come to mind. As for expansions, yeah, I would say those are the two "essential" ones, but I happen to like estates and Cossacks ability to mark provinces of interest.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah, I just find reading is way quicker than watching someone. So cossacks is good too then... Might have to get that too...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven't heard about an official strategy guide before, but if it was printed when the game first came out, well, so much has changed that it would largely be obsolete

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gort posted:

I'm not sure why that's a "Great Power only" power, though. Surely if you're scary enough you should be able to bully people into breaking alliances, whether you're one of the top 8 or not.

"I demand that you break your alliance with the Ottomans at once"

"Well sorry but you're actually the 9th most powerful country in the world because Austria has 1,000 more men so we ain't afraid of you"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

The eu4 wiki has pretty good descriptions of all of the downloadable content: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content

Art of War and Common Sense are considered must have, Wealth of Nations is good because it has Trade Companies, El Dorado is good because it improved exploration mechanics and lets you create custom nations, and Cossacks is good because it has estates (which I enjoy but others don't) and good stuff for hordes.

Star and Crescent is also good to have if you ever want to play a muslim nation

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I think I learned to lose gracefully. Last night beer convinced me to push too hard as Spain and I got coalitioned for trying to eat Genoa, Tunis, and a chunk of Brittany at the same time. After going 30 over force limit on mercs, I still couldn't beat the French Ottoman little shitling alliance. When I hit suggest peace and when I saw Sardinia and Galicia, I rage quit. This morning with a clearer head I played with the peace a bit. I gave back the Brittany land I should have never taken, a lovely province that Aragon took from France pre Union, then my ally the pope giving up Provence as a state. I got out of a crushing war for basically two provinces. Pope didn't even break alliance and I've paid back the debt. I like that iron man forces me to lose sometimes.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Things are progressing nicely in my Third Way attempt.

I probably lost 10 years due to the Humiliate Rival CB mistake, but Persia popped out of Timurids as a result and QQ and Taberastan jumped on as well, so I was able to cycle wars between the three of them and take the territory I wanted not long after. In general I've been humiliating my rivals every chance I get (not with the CB though, except that one time) and it's been great being above 50 power projection almost the entire game. This is my first playthrough where I'm really playing the rival system and it makes a big difference.

The other thing that went well for me is that the Ottomans called me into an early war and I earned 40 favors. As a result they've been fighting my wars for me, and I've been able to keep them from declaring on the Mamluks or QQ except as a secondary participant (right now they're a secondary participant to Tunis who will probably give them some of the Mamluks' territtory, hopefully not much though). I think I'm to the point where I could take the Ottomans in a defensive war, but it would be tough. I'd like to eat Kilwa and integrate Adal first. If they occupy Ma'an in the war they're in now I have to decide if I want to give a province back to Hejaz to avoid a shared border.

Am I crazy for not taking Religious? I'm not a fan. The second missionary from owning Mecca and Medina has been useful and eventually I'll get a third from Jerusalem. I managed to convert Mecca during a period of high stability, high piety, and an inquisitor; I don't think any other province will be as difficult. I don't mind fabricating claims either; as long as you plan ahead it works well enough.

There are a lot of Sunni provinces left, though. Central Asia is huge. And I'll have to face down the Iberians in West Africa.

I'm still trying to form the Mughals, I'm inching toward the provinces I need. This isn't the same attempt where I had trouble shifting to Persian. I never figured that out and got owned by the Ottomans soon after. Hopefully I can figure it out this time. I have to do a couple culture conversions to give Persian a plurality, then we'll see.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 11, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Religious is really most useful for the awesome CB that it gives you, which is lower AE and higher prestige than using a normal Conquest CB. If you're going to heavily expand into territory of a different religion, Holy War is super awesome. It's what I've been using as GB to take over all of Africa and Central America

The Conquest CB also only applies to single provinces where you have a claim, whereas Holy War applies to everything. With a Conquest CB you have the choice of either expanding slow by only taking claimed provinces or expanding fast at the cost of extra AE and diplo points.

Religious also unlocks a +10% Morale policy if you have Quantity. This is huge. Likewise for Quality, although Quality is one of the weaker military idea groups in general that Morale policy is super good. Keep in mind that some people take Defensive just for the +15% morale bonus, it's really that important in combat.

The extra missionary and all of the missionary bonuses are really just gravy on top of the killer policies and the killer CB that you get for Religious. I'd still rank it below Administrative but in a big conquest game it's a great pick

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'll often just grab the first idea out of religious which tides me over until I get the imperialism cb. It's such a huge convenience to have that CB, especially if over-extension is a concern and you're greedily gobbling provinces that you have no claim on. If you're playing a niche religion then it's so nice. So as Ibadi it's gravy. If you're fine fabricating then fill your boots, but definitely consider it.

Found an interesting bug. Portugal took my colonial holdings in california, but most provinces rebelled and it returned the colonial nation to me, except they are very rebellious. I can also ally them/support their independence, haha.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I don't get the point of that Break Alliance action.

So I'm a Great Power and I want to attack Target Nation, which is allied with lovely OPM. I can bully lovely OPM into breaking alliance with Target Nation (getting a relation drop and giving Target Nation a CB, according to the thread), but why would I bother if lovely OPM is so weak that I can bully them in the first place? They're either free warscore or free ducats from a separate peace, so I'd rather have them in the grinder. Maybe if my strength and Target Nation's are really close so even taking a few thousand men out of the enemy's side helps, I guess.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I was just thinking about the getting-into-war aspect of the CB. I didn't realize it's as good as having a claim for actually taking a province. In that case, it would have been nice. I'm just starting to run into AE problems in Asia and I imagine it will only get worse.

I went Exploration --> Offensive --> Administrative. I'm still 3 techs away from the next idea group but maybe I'll go for Religious next. I was thinking about Defensive then Innovative but you've probably changed my mind.

This is my first Mare Nostrum play that I've gotten this far---do you all re-jigger your states when you hit the limit? Not sure if it would be worth the wasted admin points.

I've also never had tech parity when I first make Western contact. I need to fall 8 techs behind. Do I just start pouring points into development until I can Westernize? That seems like the right choice but it's hard to resist pressing the tech up button when it becomes available.

NihilCredo posted:

I don't get the point of that Break Alliance action.

So I'm a Great Power and I want to attack Target Nation, which is allied with lovely OPM. I can bully lovely OPM into breaking alliance with Target Nation (getting a relation drop and giving Target Nation a CB, according to the thread), but why would I bother if lovely OPM is so weak that I can bully them in the first place? They're either free warscore or free ducats from a separate peace, so I'd rather have them in the grinder. Maybe if my strength and Target Nation's are really close so even taking a few thousand men out of the enemy's side helps, I guess.

You also get a truce with Target Nation. So it makes more sense that you'd attack the other nation, I think. You could force all of nation's allies to break the alliance and attack them while they're alone. IN theory at least. If you instead target the nation you want to attack, not only do you get a truce but you can only get rid of one ally (presumably you can't do it during a truce).

Edit: looking at the responses in the dev diary, I could be mixing up the nations. Or maybe you get a truce with both, it's not clear.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 11, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

I've also never had tech parity when I first make Western contact. I need to fall 8 techs behind. Do I just start pouring points into development until I can Westernize? That seems like the right choice but it's hard to resist pressing the tech up button when it becomes available.

It depends how far behind you are. You can save up like 1500 points so I'd just save them up and wait until you're 7 techs behind and put the rest into ideas if you have to. Development would be on the bottom of my priority list.

In regards to territories, I'll prioritize maybe getting another accepted culture, or making states of territories of accepted cultures. Other than that I don't worry too much about them.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Right, obviously ideas would be top priority. Development is only if I max out on points. And mercantilism for diplo points.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah that coring discount in Administrative is really just too good to pass up, I think that's definitely the right choice for a first Admin tech. But as a second Admin tech, for a country surrounded by different religions, I think Religious is a superb choice for a second Admin tech.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You also get a truce with Target Nation. So it makes more sense that you'd attack the other nation, I think. You could force all of nation's allies to break the alliance and attack them while they're alone. IN theory at least. If you instead target the nation you want to attack, not only do you get a truce but you can only get rid of one ally (presumably you can't do it during a truce).

Edit: looking at the responses in the dev diary, I could be mixing up the nations. Or maybe you get a truce with both, it's not clear.

I think "target nation" is referring to the one you're directly interacting with, in this case the lovely OPM. You get a truce with them, but not the nation that they were formerly allied to.

I suppose you could use it if you wanted to attack a small nation that was allied to another great power, with the downside of having to wait out the truce while hoping that they don't ally another GP. Or, you could use it if you wanted to attack a nation that was allied to one of your own allies without having to break that alliance. I could see getting some use out of it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is there any reason why an enemy won't accept a peace deal that literally gives them everything they want?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is there any reason why an enemy won't accept a peace deal that literally gives them everything they want?

Mouse over the red cross and it'll tell you why. Most likely because they're now in a super strong position and can take 100 warscore's worth of stuff, so will shoot for that. If you're offering them 100~ WS and they still want something else then maybe they just don't want something you're offering.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Allyn posted:

Mouse over the red cross and it'll tell you why. Most likely because they're now in a super strong position and can take 100 warscore's worth of stuff, so will shoot for that. If you're offering them 100~ WS and they still want something else then maybe they just don't want something you're offering.

"Wants concessions other than gold". I'm giving them Flanders and Calais, which are their cores and the only thing other than reparations that isn't crossed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Baron Corbyn posted:

"Wants concessions other than gold". I'm giving them Flanders and Calais, which are their cores and the only thing other than reparations that isn't crossed out.

Try unselecting reparations and see what it says then

• Locked thread