Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't know about you guys, But I'm gonna buy a screen protector for my Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Like it's not even like people are trying to excuse a trainwreck, because the notion that Square sent Nomura and the KH team to die on an ideas cruise for like 6 years is also a disaster.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They had Nomura directing/producing a number of handheld games during that period, so it's more like they spent six years making CG mockups.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They probably put waaaay too much on Nomura in general(or he took on more than he could do)

That dude was stretched super loving thin during the 00's and early 10's with how many games he was directing/producing or otherwise a part of.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What does the anglo-saxon want with a Zelda game anyway? Have you not odd European titles that no one else will ever hear of to keep you occupied?

In europe they get the legend of Zizek instead

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

The Nintendo Switch better come with something way bigger then a 32gb memory.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It wasn't. Not in the way you seem to think. It stopped and started development over the past decade multiple times, so there's probably been at least three different games with the names FFXIII Versus or FFXV trying to get off the ground in various states of completion before making GBS threads the bed and getting shelved. The latest one's just the version we know for a fact started in 2013, and this is the key part; from scratch.

Yeah from scratch except for the premise, setting, characters, combat direction and art design

e: I played and beat FF15, the first FF I enjoyed enough to finish. Not making GBS threads on it, but pretending they didn't drag significant development through ten years is disingenuous and silly

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 5, 2017

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know about you guys, But I'm gonna buy a screen protector for my Switch
I'm gonna laugh at you if it gets clogged in the Switch dock

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I would play FFXV Director's Cut on the Nintendo Switch

Jarogue posted:

It won't

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jarogue posted:

Hahahaha

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

what is it that makes storage cost ten times as much as normal when put in a consumer electronic device anyway?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Because Nintendo is allergic to regular rear end hard drives and need to use flash memory or whatever it's called for everything.

I mean it's faster, for all 32 tiny gb of it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CrashCat posted:

what is it that makes storage cost ten times as much as normal when put in a consumer electronic device anyway?

Nintendo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CrashCat posted:

Flash memory that has to last the life of the console is different from some cheapo SD card you got off Amazon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A regular rear end hard drive with moving parts in a portable system would be a complete non starter.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Flash memory has never been cheaper or more reliable, and frankly I don't understand how everyone from phones to consoles can charge a premium for it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dr Cheeto posted:

Flash memory has never been cheaper or more reliable, and frankly I don't understand how everyone from phones to consoles can charge a premium for it.

easy, it's cheap and reliable and there's money to be made from it so companies will charge a premium for it. Next.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If you say so, but it seems like Apple etc do the same poo poo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Louisgod posted:

easy, it's cheap and reliable and there's money to be made from it so companies will charge a premium for it. Next.

Thanks for clearing that one up, forums friend

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cojawfee posted:

Flash memory that has to last the life of the console is different from some cheapo SD card you got off Amazon.
I guess so, though I haven't had a name brand stick die on me I also probably don't hit them nearly as hard.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

A regular rear end hard drive with moving parts in a portable system would be a complete non starter.

I honestly keep forgetting that it's supposed to be portable because I ain't taking it anywhere.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Phantasium posted:

I honestly keep forgetting that it's supposed to be portable because I ain't taking it anywhere.

But then what are you gonna bring to your rooftop barbecues??

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

You don't even see yourself taking it around your house?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dr Cheeto posted:

Thanks for clearing that one up, forums friend

You're welcome, it's sometimes easy to forget that companies are in the business to make money and charge more for things than they should

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am going to use the Switch while I am pooping, which my Wii U can not seem to accommodate.

*dons sash reading 'BEST GAMES POSTER'*

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

You don't even see yourself taking it around your house?

Not in any greater capacity than I already do with the Wii U, which is loading up a stream while I play Mario Maker.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CrashCat posted:

I guess so, though I haven't had a name brand stick die on me I also probably don't hit them nearly as hard.

I haven't had anything die on me because I just use them a few minutes at a time. But throw even a good SD card into a dashcam and it will be dead in a year.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Nintendo will Switch my lovely boring life for a better one~

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

Not in any greater capacity than I already do with the Wii U, which is loading up a stream while I play Mario Maker.

There's no storage in the gamepad though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

There's no storage in the gamepad though.

I'm... not quite sure I follow your point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

I'm... not quite sure I follow your point.

The Switch has the memory. You will be carrying it different places in your house, whether to watch some TV while playing, do a little gaming before sleeping in bed, etc. Moving around isn't good for a hard drive, you have drop risk, etc. It has to be solid state for this reason, and of course because a hard drive that has to spin up also take a lot more energy.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't had anything die on me because I just use them a few minutes at a time. But throw even a good SD card into a dashcam and it will be dead in a year.
That would be the other extreme, I would hope your console doesn't write as much data as a video camera recording every daily commute. I'm a bit skeptical that they put a magical sort of storage that lasts much longer in there though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

The Switch has the memory. You will be carrying it different places in your house, whether to watch some TV while playing, do a little gaming before sleeping in bed, etc. Moving around isn't good for a hard drive, you have drop risk, etc. It has to be solid state for this reason, and of course because a hard drive that has to spin up also take a lot more energy.

Oh, you were still talking about hard drives, I guess.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am going to use the Switch while I am pooping, which my Wii U can not seem to accommodate.

*dons sash reading 'BEST GAMES POSTER'*

I too never realized the promise of Mario's while pooping. My steel bunkercheap wood doors expertly blocked the signal. It took another generation and lot of innovation. But I will poop whilst Mario.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CrashCat posted:

That would be the other extreme, I would hope your console doesn't write as much data as a video camera recording every daily commute. I'm a bit skeptical that they put a magical sort of storage that lasts much longer in there though.

Yet this is supposed to have a share button. Maybe not for recording? Screenshots only?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

CrashCat posted:

Did you somehow miss how many times FF15 was delayed?

Officially, only once.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cybercryminal extraordinaire

• Locked thread