Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

rio posted:

I wish there were a whole game like the Jumbotron quest in Rec Room. I just love playing it over and over - learning to dual wield is fun, having to crouch and move around to cover and the differences between guns and enemy types are all really fun.

From Other Suns is something you should try. It's spaceship themed, you can dual wield a variety of random guns. Takes some strategy and has 3 player coop. The environments are generated too, so layout is unique with a few tile set varieties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

So if you want to play Fallout 4 in VR, this is probably a must-have mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12363?tab=files

Bayonet should affect your pistol whip damage, and the laser sight makes shooting a lot easier

Edit: also this was updated for VR. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28516?tab=files

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 17, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Star trek bridge crew is great and the players are seemingly all friendly nerds

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

SwissCM posted:

What were your impressions of VR before trying it? I'm a little curious about the job the media is doing covering the tech and it's hard to get an accurate read when you've already bought in, gives you tunnel vision.

I honestly had no real idea... When I was pretty young, probably getting close to 20 years ago at this pont, I was somewhere at an arcade in Spain where they had this massive machine hooked up to like a treadmill that you walked along with a helmet on. With the helmet on, you saw in game some sewers you moved along with I think a crocodile in it. The helmet you were wearing showed what you were seeing through the sensors on a big screen and it was so cool that it looked where you turned your head...

Anyways I figured it was something primitive like that, maybe like a cardboard VR thing with controllers. Then my buddy kept raving about it, so I dived in. When I got my rift it was almost practically what I have been dreaming of for decades! Just missing a pressure suit or something so you can "feel" more. I am so hyped!

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Hey folks, the studio I've been working with released our game on Steam Early Access two days ago. http://store.steampowered.com/app/746930/OrbusVR/

If you're into MMOs I think it gives a pretty cool feeling in VR, but of course I'd be biased :v: but if anyone has any questions about it I'd be happy to answer. We're working on fixing bugs mainly right now and adding some end-game content that didn't quite make it for the date but should have within a couple weeks at most. We've had 100-200 concurrent players at pretty much all times and it's all 1 server, so it's felt pretty active so far.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd give it a try if you had a free weekend. As it is, I'm a bit loathe to try it out at the current price tag...

e: This goes for pretty much every VR game at that price point, and many flat games, too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
same

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh cool I didn't know someone here worked on that, I've been watching Orbus for awhile and it looks pretty interesting. Probably not going to pick it up until January at this point though cause Christmas and stuff.

The one thing I was kind of concerned about watching videos of it, I know there's teleport and stick locomotion, but are you disadvantaged at all by choosing not to teleport? Harder to dodge AoEs or whatever or is there some kind of mechanic to balance that?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I went ahead and bought it but some sort of demo would probably be a good thing to get out there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has there been any talk of the RE7 VR update having motion control support for PC? I'm just kind of returning to it on PSVR and that game really is one of the most amazing VR experiences, but drat I wish it wasn't controller only.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

A free weekend for Orbus is definitely something we'd be up and looking to do sometimes in the next weeks or months. We totally understand it's tough to take the plunge without knowing in advance.

homeless snail posted:

Oh cool I didn't know someone here worked on that, I've been watching Orbus for awhile and it looks pretty interesting. Probably not going to pick it up until January at this point though cause Christmas and stuff.

The one thing I was kind of concerned about watching videos of it, I know there's teleport and stick locomotion, but are you disadvantaged at all by choosing not to teleport? Harder to dodge AoEs or whatever or is there some kind of mechanic to balance that?

Good question. In general they would average the same speed over movement, and in battle if you use stick locomotion you move slower, but you can sprint in short bursts. Teleport has a smaller range and recharges slower so it averages out.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Daynab posted:

A free weekend for Orbus is definitely something we'd be up and looking to do sometimes in the next weeks or months. We totally understand it's tough to take the plunge without knowing in advance.

I would definitely check this out if you do it. I played several of the open betas over the last year, starting from the first one, and I'll be honest from my experience on those it all felt very awkward, the controls, movement, spellcasting, menus, that at $40 dollars its hard to take a plunge and see how much of that has improved since then. I'm not trying to poo poo it, it might be much different now, but its hard to dip my foot in and see .

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does anyone else get really slow downloads from the Oculus store? Seems like half the speed of Steam or less.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Has there been any talk of the RE7 VR update having motion control support for PC? I'm just kind of returning to it on PSVR and that game really is one of the most amazing VR experiences, but drat I wish it wasn't controller only.
They haven't even acknowledged whether or not its even coming, I'd be very surprised if it had motion controls though

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Daynab posted:

Hey folks, the studio I've been working with released our game on Steam Early Access two days ago. http://store.steampowered.com/app/746930/OrbusVR/

If you're into MMOs I think it gives a pretty cool feeling in VR, but of course I'd be biased :v: but if anyone has any questions about it I'd be happy to answer. We're working on fixing bugs mainly right now and adding some end-game content that didn't quite make it for the date but should have within a couple weeks at most. We've had 100-200 concurrent players at pretty much all times and it's all 1 server, so it's felt pretty active so far.

I got it in late November right after I got the Oculus and am excited about it. One issue I had was the the bow was really shaky and that seems to have been addressed somewhat but my hands in general are stuttery even when the rest of the game is smooth. It doesn’t happen in any other games or else I would think it was a tracking issue. The bow stutters the same way but then stabilizes after I aim it so it looks like that specifically was addressed - even if I am just randomly moving my hands around it appears to be not smooth movement. Not sure what is going on or if anyone else is having that issue but I will be checking in every so often to see if it improves but right now it is enough to not make me want to play, particularly since I would like to use a bow. After a couple of seconds of aiming the bow will stay put but those first couple of seconds it is hard to get my aim where I want it to be due to the small controllable movements of my hands.

Edit: I went through some other apps and although it is more pronounced in Orbus I am actually seeing this across all apps. When I hold an object it stutters when moving it smoothly but after I drop it is is totally smooth so it is not related to frame rate, only my hands. I see it notably in Rec Room as well, which is when I noticed that it was not just Orbus. What could be causing this? I just upgraded my graphics card last week and might not have noticed it before since everything wasn’t super smooth but now that it is, it is jarring how my hand movements stutter. It is not losing the location of my hands, just making it look like they stutter when moving. In Oculus Home it is much less and there is a little stutter every second or so.

rio fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 18, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I keep doing awesome things in Stand Out related to choppers. My previous vid I posted on the other page was about jumping OUT of a chopper, heres one where I jump IN to a chopper. One that was mine previously that I put down before some scrub tries to take it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShortElatedCiderBIRB

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

rio posted:

I got it in late November right after I got the Oculus and am excited about it. One issue I had was the the bow was really shaky and that seems to have been addressed somewhat but my hands in general are stuttery even when the rest of the game is smooth. It doesn’t happen in any other games or else I would think it was a tracking issue. The bow stutters the same way but then stabilizes after I aim it so it looks like that specifically was addressed - even if I am just randomly moving my hands around it appears to be not smooth movement. Not sure what is going on or if anyone else is having that issue but I will be checking in every so often to see if it improves but right now it is enough to not make me want to play, particularly since I would like to use a bow. After a couple of seconds of aiming the bow will stay put but those first couple of seconds it is hard to get my aim where I want it to be due to the small controllable movements of my hands.

Edit: I went through some other apps and although it is more pronounced in Orbus I am actually seeing this across all apps. When I hold an object it stutters when moving it smoothly but after I drop it is is totally smooth so it is not related to frame rate, only my hands. I see it notably in Rec Room as well, which is when I noticed that it was not just Orbus. What could be causing this? I just upgraded my graphics card last week and might not have noticed it before since everything wasn’t super smooth but now that it is, it is jarring how my hand movements stutter. It is not losing the location of my hands, just making it look like they stutter when moving. In Oculus Home it is much less and there is a little stutter every second or so.

I think that's a side effect of asynchronous projection/whatever the rift uses that's similar. I see it a lot in Fallout.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I made a photogrammetry of a model tank. You can go climb around inside it.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/942768083780939776

Available for SteamVR Home on the Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1235550719

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Been playing Orbus for a while, and enjoyed it enough to buy a copy for my friend to play with me. Only big complaint so far is that arrow velocity is ridiculously low. You can still shoot a ways away with a big parabolic arc, but I'm pretty sure the arrows travel more slowly than most could throw a baseball.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was asked to bring my Rift to my work Christmas party for an extra activity for people.

Any recommendations for something with quick ~5 minute rounds and/or minigames so people can switch around?

The only one I really have right now is the archery game in The Lab.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For maximum irony, Job Simulator.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Space Pirate Trainer is also great for short rounds

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Aphrodite posted:

I was asked to bring my Rift to my work Christmas party for an extra activity for people.

Any recommendations for something with quick ~5 minute rounds and/or minigames so people can switch around?

The Core Calibration game in The Lab was more fun for me.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Lemming posted:

This. Put it in party mode so people can compare local scores.
I'm doing this with my Vive tomorrow for a Christmas party.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boxman posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

That could be good but I'm not expecting people to really play in groups, probably just individual stuff.

Lemming posted:

That looks like a good choice. Is it a stationary game?

Edit: Basically I'm expecting to have some space like off to the side of the conference room the party's in, so something where you stand in place would be ideal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 18, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rectus posted:

I made a photogrammetry of a model tank. You can go climb around inside it.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/942768083780939776

Available for SteamVR Home on the Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1235550719
This is real cool but would benefit HUGELY from a once-over in medium. How in the world did you get the focus good enough in such a tiny space?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Aphrodite posted:

Face Your Fears is free and has a few quick experiences.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
On a scale from 1 to 10, how much is Orbus like Final Fantasy 11? I see there's worms and bunnies to fight. I'm serious, the closer the mechanics are, the more of my friends I could convince.

Edit: instead of doing a free weekend, what about like wow where it's free up to a level cap?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Aphrodite posted:

That looks like a good choice. Is it a stationary game?

Edit: Basically I'm expecting to have some space like off to the side of the conference room the party's in, so something where you stand in place would be ideal.

You don't have to move, and the enemies are even in about a 180 degree area, but having lots of space to dodge shots in helps.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You probably want something that's more of a toy than a game, that won't challenge you to do anything in particular or tell you that you failed.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

On a scale from 1 to 10, how much is Orbus like Final Fantasy 11? I see there's worms and bunnies to fight. I'm serious, the closer the mechanics are, the more of my friends I could convince.

Edit: instead of doing a free weekend, what about like wow where it's free up to a level cap?

Main difference is that death is far less punishing in Orbus right now. Problem with free until a level cap is that there just aren't a lot of levels, they've only got like 20-40 hours of questing content right now. It's very new. I enjoy it because, unlike normal MMOs, the gameplay is actually fun in and of itself. The bow shooting and waving the wand around are entertaining, and there are plenty of random quest chores to do with my friend, but it's definitely not as developed as a AAA mmo.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Bhodi posted:

This is real cool but would benefit HUGELY from a once-over in medium. How in the world did you get the focus good enough in such a tiny space?

Yeah, I smoothed out some the flat outside parts with the Blender sculpt tools, but something like Medium would be great.

I shot everything on a tripod using a zoom lens from a distance. The downside is that I couldn't capture the bottom parts of the turret or get shots from all the angles, so there are a lot of holes and bad geometry.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

haveblue posted:

You probably want something that's more of a toy than a game, that won't challenge you to do anything in particular or tell you that you failed.

First Contact is still my go to for stuff like this

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dang, FO4VR is vomit inducing, I think it's the characters' choppy movement. I'm on a GTX 980, which I thought was enough... Anyone have any luck optimizing the game to be a little smoother?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

smoobles posted:

Dang, FO4VR is vomit inducing, I think it's the characters' choppy movement. I'm on a GTX 980, which I thought was enough... Anyone have any luck optimizing the game to be a little smoother?

Geez, if a 980 is struggling I'm beginning to think I should skip out on FO4VR until I upgrade my 970.

Speaking of, does anyone else encounter flickering when doing VR? I checked and my GPU is maxing out at like 67 degrees which does not seem alarming at all. Driver issue, maybe? Seems worst in Superhot VR, but it does it in all games and only in VR.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
'Skeet: VR Target Shooting' is a good party game.

It's also free.

And I believe one of the devs was a goon.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

Geez, if a 980 is struggling I'm beginning to think I should skip out on FO4VR until I upgrade my 970.

What's strange is head turning is completely smooth and fine. It's character animation that seems to ghost & stutter frequently, which makes me hesitant to give up on the game or upgrade my video card just yet.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Protocol7 posted:

Speaking of, does anyone else encounter flickering when doing VR? I checked and my GPU is maxing out at like 67 degrees which does not seem alarming at all. Driver issue, maybe? Seems worst in Superhot VR, but it does it in all games and only in VR.
Just those flickering blocks/flashy color blobs that I posted a while back. Not sure if that's the kind of stuff you mean, but like yours, it only happens when I'm using VR. Is it on the mirrored display on the monitor for you, too?

Still waiting on Oculus support - I tried their troubleshooting, they asked for logs and said it might be a while, then about an hour later asked to confirm my shipping address and where I bought it from. So maybe there's something more than a software issue. I did at least get a "we're still working on it, we've got a lot of tickets right now," which I figured might happen with the BF sale. I still need to try actually unplugging monitors 2 & 3, I just noticed when they're disabled but still connected, Oculus Home still shows them as available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TVs Ian posted:

Just those flickering blocks/flashy color blobs that I posted a while back. Not sure if that's the kind of stuff you mean, but like yours, it only happens when I'm using VR. Is it on the mirrored display on the monitor for you, too?

Still waiting on Oculus support - I tried their troubleshooting, they asked for logs and said it might be a while, then about an hour later asked to confirm my shipping address and where I bought it from. So maybe there's something more than a software issue. I did at least get a "we're still working on it, we've got a lot of tickets right now," which I figured might happen with the BF sale. I still need to try actually unplugging monitors 2 & 3, I just noticed when they're disabled but still connected, Oculus Home still shows them as available.

I haven't really noticed it on the mirrored display, no, which tells me it might be the headset I'm using (Lenovo Explorer). Which sucks because this thing has exceeded my expectations aside from maybe this one issue. Perhaps it's because WMR is still in its infancy compared to Rift/SteamVR.