Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

I don't like the 3rd puzzle at all tbh - but it's by far the worst one. I think from there on out it's mostly pretty fair.

There's one late book exception but I throw partial solutions into the hints because that's definitely a "gently caress this one" - but it's still not as bad, imo.

And yes, it's required to reach the endgame. The solutions guide I have there is a way to bypass it if you don't want to do anymore with it.

If that’s the worst one I feel more hopeful about just trucking along. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mightygerm posted:

If that’s the worst one I feel more hopeful about just trucking along. Thanks!
:patriot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mightygerm posted:

I think our group is done with the puzzle book. We had a lot of fun deciphering the first two, but the third had us stuck for hours. In order to preserve what was left of our limited playtime I looked up dwarfs guide (thanks!) and it was very deflating to find out that we spend two puzzles deciphering a writing system to have the third one use regular old numerals. We had the light puzzle mostly figured but we tried to match it to the unfettered numbers, or count various numbers in the sequence, to no avail. it also felt badly designed to have a puzzle where its not clear when you found the solution like the other two. you can make a million logical reasons to invent a three number sequence given the puzzle and scenario hint but none of them are any more valid than the other. Im not exactly sure what we are going to do moving forward with it since it appears to be required content.

I would highly recommend just looking up what scenario is required for any given solution as soon as you open a specific page because in the case of the spoilered one you mentioned we had completed the one the solution is linked to literal months before getting to that puzzle and ain't no way any of us were going to remember that lol. This method has saved me from madness multiple times so far.

e: also since dwarf didn't link his guide I will - https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/10qf8ze/an_unofficial_and_incomplete_guide_to_the/

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I would highly recommend just looking up what scenario is required for any given solution as soon as you open a specific page because in the case of the spoilered one you mentioned we had completed the one the solution is linked to literal months before getting to that puzzle and ain't no way any of us were going to remember that lol. This method has saved me from madness multiple times so far.

e: also since dwarf didn't link his guide I will - https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/10qf8ze/an_unofficial_and_incomplete_guide_to_the/

Yes, that is the worst thing about how Frosthaven handles the puzzle book. Scenarios with puzzle-book relevant information should check off something and the puzzle book asks you to check if you have “light beam” checked and send you to a reminder passage when you unlock the puzzle.

We’ve had both problems occur: puzzle unlock long before we found the “clue” in a scenario, and scenario with clue that we’d long forgotten by the time we unlocked the puzzle.

We also played the “intro to Shrike Fiends” scenario, which warned that entering any forest scenario was locked behind completing another scenario first. We then avoided the forest for half a year, real time, before a PQ involved going into the forest, at which point we obviously didn’t remember the end text of that scenario. Given that other areas don’t require a similar unlock to enter, the *ame should really warn you in the main rules and not at the end of a scenario.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Narsham posted:

Yes, that is the worst thing about how Frosthaven handles the puzzle book. Scenarios with puzzle-book relevant information should check off something and the puzzle book asks you to check if you have “light beam” checked and send you to a reminder passage when you unlock the puzzle.

We’ve had both problems occur: puzzle unlock long before we found the “clue” in a scenario, and scenario with clue that we’d long forgotten by the time we unlocked the puzzle.

We also played the “intro to Shrike Fiends” scenario, which warned that entering any forest scenario was locked behind completing another scenario first. We then avoided the forest for half a year, real time, before a PQ involved going into the forest, at which point we obviously didn’t remember the end text of that scenario. Given that other areas don’t require a similar unlock to enter, the *ame should really warn you in the main rules and not at the end of a scenario.

I know exactly which scenario you're talking about, and technically the game does warn you that you need a specific thing to start it. There should be a banner or something on the top right of the page in the scenario booklet on the first page of that scenario setup. But it's easy to miss and if you haven't encountered it before you might not remember what it means. All of these things happened to my group and we noticed after we had set everything up for the scenario lol. We ended up looking up how to get said banner and pivoting to that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Narsham posted:

I don't think you really miss out on anything by not noticing this requirement and just playing those scenarios anyway - it's more flavor than anything load-bearing, campaign structure-wise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think you really miss out on anything by not noticing this requirement and just playing those scenarios anyway - it's more flavor than anything load-bearing, campaign structure-wise.
Yup. It's for flavor. I recommend doing 32 though because it's super rad.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Yup. It's for flavor. I recommend doing 32 though because it's super rad.
We did it eventually but.... it's not how we unlocked the woods, which is how I know it's not load-bearing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

We did it eventually but.... it's not how we unlocked the woods, which is how I know it's not load-bearing.
Oh that's hilarious. It's basically a law of nature that Geminate always starts with the True Oak quest, meaning their retirement reward is... Ironic.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Oh that's hilarious. It's basically a law of nature that Geminate always starts with the True Oak quest, meaning their retirement reward is... Ironic.

PQ spoilers: My Geminate had Earn 100 XP. Our Bannerspear had the True Oak quest, took forever to unlock the scenario path, and was one away from retiring when I caught our mistake with the Forest adventures. She was not happy, but we at least didn't have much trouble with the scenario in question.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Did scenario 121 last night, our snowflake ran ahead to trigger the special stuff. Pretty hilarious to see once, but i'm glad it doesn't come up often...

Shackles: I went through my cards at the end and if i'd triggered the scenario effect i would have been less dangerous at level 9 than the snowflake was at level 4, pretty funny. I imagine this is a hell of a scenario to replay if you fail it.

Also holy crap the (level 9) Redemption card at the table feels like the most broken thing I've ever played, and I went through music note and three spears in the GH days.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Playing Frosthaven, we've just done our first session, and finished having done missions 0 and 1 and then, we did the town actions. We think. Not sure if we missed something.

But, wanted to ask, anything we should know in advance? Like, is it bad to spend herbs early, or, should we build a fortification ASAP, or, like, I dunno not spoiler, but are there any annoying traps that new players fall into? Feels like there easily could be.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

!Klams posted:

Playing Frosthaven, we've just done our first session, and finished having done missions 0 and 1 and then, we did the town actions. We think. Not sure if we missed something.

But, wanted to ask, anything we should know in advance? Like, is it bad to spend herbs early, or, should we build a fortification ASAP, or, like, I dunno not spoiler, but are there any annoying traps that new players fall into? Feels like there easily could be.
Heya! Congratulations!

If you haven't checked the FAQ, I'd recommended looking through the early bits :)

Otherwise - it's good to build every outpost phase. Don't string out your retirements too much but no need to rush either.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

!Klams posted:

Off the top of my head, and this is not exhaustive:

Herbs are, for all intents and purposes, collective. Whenever we loot an herb we just add it to the campaign sheet instead of our personal inventories because there's no good reason not to, unless a character needs one to craft a specific item

Don't brew potions if nobody has slots to carry them. Otherwise you're wasting resources just for information on something nobody can use

Build all the walls you can build before winter. I think at the beginning you can only build one, but do it

Don't spend morale to double build until after you max it out at 20

Retire characters as fast as possible to unlock new buildings and gain prosperity. If someone really likes a class they can always roll another one after retirement. If you wait too long to retire characters near the start of the campaign you may reach a point where you have nothing to build or upgrade until someone retires and that is Bad

Remember that you can't use a building or its special ability until after you build it AND do another scenario after. The idea is that the build/upgrade is happening in town while you're away and is completed by the time you're back

If you get attacked, always spend a soldier on the Alchemist

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mostly good advice, but I disagree with "Don't spend morale to double build until you max it out". You even warn against having nothing to build, isn't it a lesser version of the same problem to have nothing to build the second time? We did what you advised and waited for morale 20 and we are recklessly swimming in morale - we're sometimes wasting it going over twenty, sometimes spending just to save two resources, etc. Our conclusion was that we should have spent more of it on buildings earlier.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Retire characters as fast as possible to unlock new buildings and gain prosperity. If someone really likes a class they can always roll another one after retirement. If you wait too long to retire characters near the start of the campaign you may reach a point where you have nothing to build or upgrade until someone retires and that is Bad

Further, some of the personal quests say something like "Immediately unlock [MISSION] and follow it to a conclusion". That means complete every mission in that chain, as indicated by the scenario flowchart. You might look at the chart and say "there aren't that many missions in that questline, I can wait". Well, there are likely calendar events between missions on those chains that add weeks of waiting for the next mission to unlock, so don't dawdle on those.

Our Bannserspear started his questline after about 12 missions when he was ready to be done, and it turned out that it took about another 12 weeks to retire.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Take note of which buildings have section book reads as part of their reward for building. If you're not sure what to build, aim for those because that generally means "unlocks something".

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Cliff posted:

Further, some of the personal quests say something like "Immediately unlock [MISSION] and follow it to a conclusion". That means complete every mission in that chain, as indicated by the scenario flowchart. You might look at the chart and say "there aren't that many missions in that questline, I can wait". Well, there are likely calendar events between missions on those chains that add weeks of waiting for the next mission to unlock, so don't dawdle on those.

Our Bannserspear started his questline after about 12 missions when he was ready to be done, and it turned out that it took about another 12 weeks to retire.

Oh, if a personal quest says like, get quest number X and follow it through, that means we should unlock that quest now? I thought finding the thing to unlock it was 'part of' the quest itself?

Oh that's cool to look for buildings that unlock stuff, will get on that.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Our problem is that, in year 1, we are 1 tick below prosperity 3 and haven't been able to build anything for like 3 or 4 sessions. We built everything we can until we get another prosperity tick. Fortunately, a couple people are retiring after our next scenario and the floodgates will open. We have so many stored resources in town. We will probably be spending morale just to catch up.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

!Klams posted:

Oh, if a personal quest says like, get quest number X and follow it through, that means we should unlock that quest now? I thought finding the thing to unlock it was 'part of' the quest itself?

Yep you unlock the quest when you draw the card - if you're waiting for another way to unlock it you'll be waiting a long time...

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
We got crushed twice in a row by scenario 13 tonight. At least the second time was a little bit further into the map.

Boneshaper, geminate, and bannerspear charging at 74hp worth of massive multitarget, true damage, retaliate, and (sure why not) immunity to poison. ouch. Throw in some heavily armored guys for good measure.

I’ll maybe retry this in 5+ sessions with the level knocked down -1.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

!Klams posted:

Oh that's cool to look for buildings that unlock stuff, will get on that.
Oh yes if someone has Aesther Outpost (PQ 07 iirc) make that your next scenario after Scenario 1. Or do it next if you are past that lol

Smith Comma John posted:

We got crushed twice in a row by scenario 13 tonight. At least the second time was a little bit further into the map.

Boneshaper, geminate, and bannerspear charging at 74hp worth of massive multitarget, true damage, retaliate, and (sure why not) immunity to poison. ouch. Throw in some heavily armored guys for good measure.

I’ll maybe retry this in 5+ sessions with the level knocked down -1.
That one is notably hard yea and especially bad for Boney. Welcome to Shrike Fiends!

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

A relevant question from the scenario 13 “experience”: how do you resolve the order of a “pull all” enemy action? This one wasn’t attached to an attack but I chose to resolve it in the same way: first target via focus, then any order for the rest. Is this right, and is it the same way to handle any non-attack targeted abilities with multiple targets?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Smith Comma John posted:

A relevant question from the scenario 13 “experience”: how do you resolve the order of a “pull all” enemy action? This one wasn’t attached to an attack but I chose to resolve it in the same way: first target via focus, then any order for the rest. Is this right, and is it the same way to handle any non-attack targeted abilities with multiple targets?
So there's a lot here.

The basic answer is that you decide the order monsters target things in for anything multi target. Attacks, pulls, etc. Primary focus doesn't need to be attacked (or pulled) first.

Focus is not relevant for non-move and non-attack abilities.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Cool, good to know about the flexibility, especially with attacks. I’m sure that will be useful at some point (for example if I ever find a reason to actually play Venomous Barbs top :cheeky:)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I feel like taking the card that lets your summons ignore retaliate is mandatory if you're running Boneshaper

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

I feel like taking the card that lets your summons ignore retaliate is mandatory if you're running Boneshaper

There are plenty of scenarios without any retaliate effect on the enemy team. Frosthaven really encourages swapping a few cards every scenario, moreso than Gloomhaven I'd say. That card is a perfect side deck card, sometimes it's pretty much mandatory, sometimes that half of the card is worthless.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

The top is great if you are not facing retaliate. It may not last until high levels, but it is solid.

The bottom is an uno reverse card for retaliate if you've got putrid cloud up. It's instantly swapped in if any enemies are big retaliators.

It's so weird Boney is often the strongest character for dealing with Retaliating enemies.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The Boneshaper persistent loss that ignores retaliate is seriously one of the strongest persistent losses in the whole game. It obviously isn't useful in every scenario but it's insanely strong when there are enemies with retaliate

Use this one weird trick that Flaming Bladespinners hate!

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Just got my frosthaven play surface books. Should get to try them out this weekend. Very excited!
They are much bigger than I expected, and they include all the scenario text from the scenario book, which was a nice surprise. I just hope they all fit on my table.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ChocolatePancake posted:

Just got my frosthaven play surface books. Should get to try them out this weekend. Very excited!
They are much bigger than I expected, and they include all the scenario text from the scenario book, which was a nice surprise. I just hope they all fit on my table.

Hahah yeah they were never gonna take up LESS table space, lol

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Did they fix the gloomhaven console issues such as party disconnects? Game is constantly on sale it seems

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My Buttons & Bugs should be arriving today!

I normally don't even do solo board games but I'm excited.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Mine came yesterday, getting it set up now. Very excited.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I don't think anything could have prepared me for how tiny this is.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
We played two scenarios in like an hour, switching out turns playing different characters. It really is Gloomhaven lite in the best way. Wish there was a 2 player option though.

Edit: though screw this "scan here for the rulebook" poo poo, c'mon Cephalofair.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

We played two scenarios in like an hour, switching out turns playing different characters. It really is Gloomhaven lite in the best way. Wish there was a 2 player option though.

Edit: though screw this "scan here for the rulebook" poo poo, c'mon Cephalofair.
Having played it, and seen the actual size of the box, I'm okay with it. Getting the rules into this form factor would be wild lol

Here's the rules page - which I can read on my phone, so I'm happy lol

https://cephalofairgames.github.io/bnb-rules/

danwon
Aug 19, 2015

Got my first game in on the Frosthaven play surfaces and it's an incredible improvement. I wish I had waited to get Frosthaven with the surfaces, honestly. An absolute breeze to set things up and I barely need the awful section book now. Couldn't possibly be happier with it.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

We finished up the Unfettered questline in a series of force-linked scenarios. I liked the rush and urgency it gave to working through the tunnels and complex, except 2 of us met retirement goals and the other would have leveled up after the first of 3 missions.

I did feel bad about killing someone called "The Orphan" and genociding the Unfettered but it was in line with my retirement goal and also FAFO. Great questline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Leveling up between linked scenarios is fine imo :)

And yeah I like that chain very much. We're embarking on it soon ourselves!