Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

A Loud Fart posted:

So, dumb question. I passed my MSF and am buying gear, first buy is an Shoei RF-1200. Is the pinlock required to keep the visor from fogging up or is this a thing that takes care of itself when you're riding? I'd like to ride with sunglasses and keep the clear visor, without the pinlock.

It'll fog up, but also watch out for rainbowing with your sunglasses and the visor. Gives me a massive headache personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

Been looking at these, how are they in the cold?

I've been riding with them in light rain and as low as 32F, and I have felt extremely comfortable! My only complaint is that the knees don't have any real grip to them and since I won't put rubber pads on my tank I slide around a bit more than I like.

At least my commute doesn't feel like someone is boring a bucket of ice water on my balls for 45 consecutive minutes!:unsmith:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I mean, if you crack the visor and breathe downward you can prevent some fogging, but it's a giant pain in the rear end. If you want a 100% guaranteed fog-free faceshield, then a Pinlock is the only thing that will do it in all situations (ignoring any issues with broken-in pinlocks that aren't recessed a-la Arai and lose seal). When I still had my hands on my bike I rode year-round and always had issues with fogging. Conversely, I'm aware that some people have issues with it, but I have 20/10 vision and I've never had halos at night.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Chichevache posted:

I've been riding with them in light rain and as low as 32F, and I have felt extremely comfortable! My only complaint is that the knees don't have any real grip to them and since I won't put rubber pads on my tank I slide around a bit more than I like.

At least my commute doesn't feel like someone is boring a bucket of ice water on my balls for 45 consecutive minutes!:unsmith:

I might have to look into getting a pair, currently been doing longjohns > jeans > waterproof hi-vis workmen trousers for my commute, which works, but is a complete ballache if I just want to pop out and its raining/freezing.

Have you been wearing any other layers under them?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

I might have to look into getting a pair, currently been doing longjohns > jeans > waterproof hi-vis workmen trousers for my commute, which works, but is a complete ballache if I just want to pop out and its raining/freezing.

Have you been wearing any other layers under them?

I often wear a pair of khakis or jeans underneath, but it isn't necessary for warmth. They're not technically overpants, but you can order a size larger and use them that way. For $229 I thought they were a great buy, but my only other frame of reference is some Icon summer pants that don't even begin to compare to these. The reviews on Revzilla are pretty positive.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Z3n posted:

Jfc no you don't need a pinlock. I was riding in 32 degree weather with the chinguard on, no breath deflector, and it was fine. Crack the helmet if you're at a stop, the RF1200 has a detent for that iirc, and snap it shut once you're doing more than 5mph.

Oh and avoid panting on the visor and you're fine. People talk about all kinds of bullshit with dish soap and blah blah blah and it's just not that big a deal. Crack the visor preventatively and ride on.

Also pinlocks cause halos and blurring like crazy, so if you've got good vision it's going to drive you nuts.

:agreed: Just control your breathing and crack the visor. It is not hard.

I have never used a pinlock on a street helmet, and the little hinge to crack open my Scorpion's visor broke years ago.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Alternatively just get a pinlock

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

Alternatively just get a pinlock

Or just get a car.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't think I'll be able to fit a car inside my helmet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Do they not have Hot Wheels in your country?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I have never actually had a problem with my visor fogging up -- if anything is going to do it, it's my glasses.

Breathe through your nose and it's not really an issue.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My visor (if unpinlocked) fogs up as long as I don't do my biggest mr burns impersonation with my face and breathe like darth vader. If you wanted to know.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My x12 fogs up pretty badly while stopped, even with that little anti fog latch, but it clears away immediately when moving. I didn't get a pinlock because they only come in clear and smoke for the x12, and I'm a vain lil poo poo that likes my mirrored visors.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ante posted:

What's the word on those armoured denim pants?

Are they passable as decent jeans when I get off my bike at my destination?

Any recommendations? Someone is asking for a late Christmas wishlist.
I've got two different pairs of Speed and Strength jeans, one armored and one just kevlar. Both are sized gigantically, I actually ended up having the latter pair tailored.

Dainese apparently makes/made more 501/505-esque pants but I can't seem to find much in stock recently.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Fifty Three posted:

Dainese apparently makes/made more 501/505-esque pants but I can't seem to find much in stock recently.
Dainese's inventory is total dogshit right now. Nothing is in loving stock in Italy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've been lazy this year and haven't put my pinlock insert in yet. Fogging hasn't really been an issue, except when I couldn't hold in a sneeze this morning. It hasn't gotten below the 30s yet, so that might still change. If you're going to be riding year round, you might as well get one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

My x12 fogs up pretty badly while stopped, even with that little anti fog latch, but it clears away immediately when moving. I didn't get a pinlock because they only come in clear and smoke for the x12, and I'm a vain lil poo poo that likes my mirrored visors.

You know you can fit pinlock to any visor, right?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know you can fit pinlock to any visor, right?

You can?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You need to drill two holes in your non-pinlock ready visor though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

You need to drill two holes in your non-pinlock ready visor though.

Yup. I've done this successfully before and it was a piece of piss, works perfectly and is indistinguishable from a factory pinlock visor. All you have to do is lay them both out flat like you would when fitting, mark where the holes go, put a little 'punch' mark in with something sharp so the drill doesn't wander and drill away with the appropriate sized bit. Took me like fifteen minutes.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Where do you get the pinlock pins, though? Shoei doesn't sell em on their own.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They come with the pinlock insert, at least they did last time I bought one.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
Yeah my helmet came with a pinlock. I guess I dont't like the yellow tint, of the 'lock, and wanted a clear visor. If I can crack the visor and clear it that way I'll wait until I'm actually on the road.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

A Loud Fart posted:

Yeah my helmet came with a pinlock. I guess I dont't like the yellow tint, of the 'lock, and wanted a clear visor. If I can crack the visor and clear it that way I'll wait until I'm actually on the road.

:ssh: The yellow is just a protective film. It peels off.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
My main fogging problem is my actual glasses :( I haven't had my Icon Airframe fog its lens at all even with it fully closed, because usually my glasses fog way before that..

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Keket posted:

My main fogging problem is my actual glasses :( I haven't had my Icon Airframe fog its lens at all even with it fully closed, because usually my glasses fog way before that..

Yyyep. Last couple of days I've just put them in a case in my pocket because they were fogging up so bad. The worst part is that I don't think contacts would help, because they'd dry out so drat fast with the air blowing through my helmet from the vent.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
All of you with fogging issues, just try an Icon helmet that uses the Icon Optics visors. They are unfoggable in my experience.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

VERTiG0 posted:

All of you with fogging issues, just try an Icon helmet that uses the Icon Optics visors. They are unfoggable in my experience.

Was it the visor that did that? I had an Icon Airmada that never fogged and I just assumed it was because it vented so well. I rode that thing through a motherfucking deluge without the tiniest but of fog. The only reason I haven't replaced it with an identical model is that they don't sell it with the Sensory graphic anymore. :sigh:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
My Arai fogs pretty badly but it does have a good system for cracking the visor open very precisely. It's just annoying having to adjust that frequently depending riding speeds.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Chichevache posted:

Was it the visor that did that? I had an Icon Airmada that never fogged and I just assumed it was because it vented so well. I rode that thing through a motherfucking deluge without the tiniest but of fog. The only reason I haven't replaced it with an identical model is that they don't sell it with the Sensory graphic anymore. :sigh:

I believe it to be the visor, with all vents closed on the Airmada and air temps hovering around 2-3 Celsius it still won't fog.

Who knows though!

Speaking of the Sensory graphic, CanadasMotorcycle has them on clearance for $188 CAD right now.

But, Chichevache, perhaps you'd be more interested in the new Sweet Dreams graphic?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 31, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

VERTiG0 posted:

I believe it to be the visor, with all vents closed on the Airmada and air temps hovering around 2-3 Celsius it still won't fog.

Who knows though!

Speaking of the Sensory graphic, CanadasMotorcycle has them on clearance for $188 CAD right now.

But, Chichevache, perhaps you'd be more interested in the new Sweet Dreams graphic?

:hfive: I love you so much right now! I have been rocking my old SevenZeroSeven, while I wait for the AGV Thyrus to come out, and I loving hate it! I have to ride with it cracked unless I'm doing 60, and sometimes that still won't cut it. Plus the wind blows across my eyeballs and makes me weep like a Ducati owner when his machine gets wet.

The Sweet Dreams graphic owns. I would totally consider it, but it clashes with my bike and gear.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

VERTiG0 posted:

Yep, they're pretty amazing, i have to actively try to fog my icons lens otherwise its just maybe a tiny amount off in the corner. Unfortunately my glasses fog instantly if i don't try to breathe downwards, I might have a go at trying contacts sometime, as Lynza said, anyone had any troubles with contacts drying out when riding?

Edit: The best helmet in my experience for pissing off every dog that sees you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

Yep, they're pretty amazing, i have to actively try to fog my icons lens otherwise its just maybe a tiny amount off in the corner. Unfortunately my glasses fog instantly if i don't try to breathe downwards, I might have a go at trying contacts sometime, as Lynza said, anyone had any troubles with contacts drying out when riding?

Edit: The best helmet in my experience for pissing off every dog that sees you.

I loving love that helmet too. More companies need to follow Icon's example with regards to graphics.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Okay, so I'm a goofball and got me some Wesco motor patrol boots with some of my bonus money and as an extra bonus have been able to ride on Christmas. I went for a long, very awesome ride, and got to fulfill my 1920s 1930s biker fantasies. No pics because I'm old and don't bother. :unsmith:

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011

KARMA! posted:

:ssh: The yellow is just a protective film. It peels off.

Ergh, Yes I'm a noob. :xd: The more you know, man.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MoraleHazard posted:

Okay, so I'm a goofball and got me some Wesco motor patrol boots with some of my bonus money and as an extra bonus have been able to ride on Christmas. I went for a long, very awesome ride, and got to fulfill my 1920s 1930s biker fantasies. No pics because I'm old and don't bother. :unsmith:

Nice boots. How protective are they?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

A Loud Fart posted:

So, dumb question. I passed my MSF and am buying gear, first buy is an Shoei RF-1200. Is the pinlock required to keep the visor from fogging up or is this a thing that takes care of itself when you're riding? I'd like to ride with sunglasses and keep the clear visor, without the pinlock.

Most helmets have a film on them to solve this. The rf1200 has, instead, a pinlock (pinlock is far better than the film). It does not have the special film.

Source: I've worn an rf1200 without the pinlock in in 40F. It's like fog city up in this bitch.

Verge fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 31, 2015

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Shoei visors have poo poo for antifog. I love my pinlock.
Based on personal experience and/or feedback, scorpion has decent antifog and icon's is pretty good. AGV does a good job too.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Just ordered some roll-a-click levers, tunnel tail bag, and Ogio backpack for lanesplitting fun times now that I'm moving to LA.

Also thinking of getting Kuryakyn lizard lights for better night visibility, is this a terrible idea? Apparently legality varies (in that "technically not allowed but no one gives a poo poo" way), most places at least don't want them flashing blue or red. I'm nervous because my friend just wrecked when some idiot didn't see her and merged. Was also considering Lunasee lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of hosed up pegasus has a unicorn horn.