Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Back to taking photos at last.

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

heh noice

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

El Laucha posted:

Back to taking photos at last.

:popeye: this looks like a rendered screenshot from a video game

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

I saw u posted that on twitter and initially thought it was a still from a sci-fi film

it's incredible.

:golfclap:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What do you like about these photos?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Dope.

I really like how moody these are.

Some more B&W, including another one at sunrise from the same location but I wanted to play up light and shadow more than color this time:

Sunrise Over Addison #2 | Chicago, USA | 04.28.2018 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Chicago, USA | 04.25.2018 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Chicago, USA | 04.28.2018 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Loopgravenpad (Mastenbos) by roland luijken, on Flickr

This location is 5 minutes from my home they are WWI bunkers and trenches.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

bobmarleysghost posted:

What do you like about these photos?

hmmm idk...why do u ask?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lee's Restaurant by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Lin's Restaurant and Lounge by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Mariana Horchata posted:

hmmm idk...why do u ask?

if u don't like these photos idk...why did u post them?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Orions Lord posted:

Whatever radial blur processing you're doing is really distracting. I keep wanting to clean my glasses while looking at that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Orions Lord posted:

Yeah the subject is interesting but the processing looks really terrible. Less is more!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

unsure if that counts as a landscape. if not, here's one from last summer

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Mariana Horchata posted:

hmmm idk...why do u ask?

Personally I think they are boring, there is no real strong subject and the light is boring. Explaining what you liked about them (or don't like) goes a long ways towards improving your photos.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

landgrabber posted:

unsure if that counts as a landscape. if not, here's one from last summer

I'm not sure if I'd consider half the images in this thread as landscapes but you can't have a thread for every single different thing. these are nice

I was unhappy with how this one turned out (bit blurry and soft) but I don't want to waste the good composition

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

Whatever radial blur processing you're doing is really distracting. I keep wanting to clean my glasses while looking at that.

I was 'trying' to have some kind of WW1 look on it.
Maybe just bw or with some sepia is enough?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Sunset Lit Clouds by B. B., on Flickr

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Orions Lord posted:

I was 'trying' to have some kind of WW1 look on it.
Maybe just bw or with some sepia is enough?

Yeah I'd say so. And maybe revisit the location when the light is a little more interesting, the way it's lit right now, and with the black and white conversion, everything's sort of muddy gray and the focal point kind of blends in with everything else.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

strap on revenge posted:

I'm not sure if I'd consider half the images in this thread as landscapes but you can't have a thread for every single different thing. these are nice

I was unhappy with how this one turned out (bit blurry and soft) but I don't want to waste the good composition

thanks! i've only been at this for about a year now... bought my dslr body on may 28 last year apparently. i love taking photos but can't really drive myself anywhere so i'm sort of just squeezing whatever i can out of the area around my house :X

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lee's Wok Restaurant by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

La Bu La Chinese Restaurant by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

strap on revenge posted:

All landscape photos contain man-made elements (even if it is, once in a while, just the camera itself). Some landscapes have more man-made elements than others. All of the images in this thread are landscapes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

All landscape photos contain man-made elements (even if it is, once in a while, just the camera itself). Some landscapes have more man-made elements than others. All of the images in this thread are landscapes.

All the photos in this thread are manscapes

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VelociBacon posted:

All the photos in this thread are manscapes

It's true - the gender ratio in photography forums on the internet ain't too great.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's true - the gender ratio in photography forums on the internet ain't too great.

i'm a girl actually. we're a lot more common than you think, esp. compared to video production and similar

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

landgrabber posted:

i'm a girl actually. we're a lot more common than you think, esp. compared to video production and similar

Welcome to the Dorkroom! Keep taking photos and don't worry about whether they fit somebody else's preconceptions or not.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mods please change the thread title to The Chinese Restaurant Thread

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iSheep posted:

Mods please change the thread title to The Chinese Restaurant Thread

The pictures can only be taken in run down small towns though, if any living souls are visible or there's the slightest hint of cheer you did it wrong.

Goons making everywhere look depressing as gently caress.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

taken in atlanta last october. i was still new and had only one lens - a 50mm prime, which didn't lend itself to taking landscapes of the city too well, but i like what's goin on here kinda. i wish i were shooting raw at that time so i could recolor it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

The pictures can only be taken in run down small towns though, if any living souls are visible or there's the slightest hint of cheer you did it wrong.

actually super easy to take those kind of pics in big cities, it's a numbers game

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

camden, st. louis, and trenton are depressing as gently caress

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm going to start running urban landscape photo vacations in lovely locations such as the embracing armpit of America - Gary Indiana/East Chicago, and with photos so beautiful you want to drink it up (but dont) Flint Michigan.

3 days, 2 nights at a lovely air BNB or upgrade to a 1.5 star best western. Gourmet breakfasts consist of jalapeno cream cheese taquitos from 7-11 and lunch/dinner consists of onion steamed sliders from White Castle.

$8,000 and your security can't be guaranteed. Book now and watch your instagram followers explode.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Verman posted:

I'm going to start running urban landscape photo vacations in lovely locations such as the embracing armpit of America - Gary Indiana/East Chicago, and with photos so beautiful you want to drink it up (but dont) Flint Michigan.

3 days, 2 nights at a lovely air BNB or upgrade to a 1.5 star best western. Gourmet breakfasts consist of jalapeno cream cheese taquitos from 7-11 and lunch/dinner consists of onion steamed sliders from White Castle.

$8,000 and your security can't be guaranteed. Book now and watch your instagram followers explode.

you also forgot the 2 xl black coffees from dunkin off broadway... they're cheaper cause they're in the philly metro area and not nyc's ever-expanding circle of death. take the bus down broadway to atlantic ave cause that's where they're movin the methadone clinic to, or somewhere thereabouts

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ansel autisms posted:

actually super easy to take those kind of pics in big cities, it's a numbers game

especially with digital, if you have enough time and the light doesn't change too much, you can make anywhere look deserted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

Book now and watch your instagram followers explode.

Real question: do these style of photos do well on instagram? I've never used the service but everything that leaks into my field of view says that it's mostly feet poking out of a tent at sunrise type poo poo.

Curious what kind of reception people who do this kind of work get.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Probably not.

There's actually a lot of mastery in here and a lot of restraint which you don't find elsewhere very often. Even on this or the last page, someone posted a few photos and someone asked what they liked about them, what was the purpose etc. They just learned a huge lesson ... where as other forums/platforms won't give you that constructive critique... just a bunch of likes which encourages hdr halos and tents giving birth to humans

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Verman posted:

Probably not.

There's actually a lot of mastery in here and a lot of restraint which you don't find elsewhere very often. Even on this or the last page, someone posted a few photos and someone asked what they liked about them, what was the purpose etc. They just learned a huge lesson ... where as other forums/platforms won't give you that constructive critique... just a bunch of likes which encourages hdr halos and tents giving birth to humans

Hi, I just want to say that I just poked my head in r/photocritique and it really made me appreciate the thoughtful crits given out here. I love reading what you guys have to say.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

hot

Lankster NZ fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 2, 2018