Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

angryhampster posted:

Elon Musk just announced that Tesla drivetrains are now warrantied for life.

8 years seems like a far cry from "life".

vvv It is, 8 years/Infinite miles

Q_res fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I think its 8 years and unlimited miles

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hog Obituary posted:

Unlimited miles = the first mile after 2922 days

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

Yep my bad I got excited and misquoted.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
They could probably make a unibody ranger with 1200lb bed capacity and 3000lb towing capacity and sell well. I got my 97 ranger and handles plenty for me, daily driver, and lets me keep my 350z low miiles. Never really have any problems with it and if anything goes bad the parts are all $50 or less it seems.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Christobevii3 posted:

They could probably make a unibody ranger with 1200lb bed capacity and 3000lb towing capacity and sell well. I got my 97 ranger and handles plenty for me, daily driver, and lets me keep my 350z low miiles. Never really have any problems with it and if anything goes bad the parts are all $50 or less it seems.

Uh dude, but how on earth is a 1200lb bed going to be enough for my monthly trips to Home Depot? And the 3000lb towing capacity is going to be way too little for the 25 foot sailboat I thought about purchasing one day.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Edit - nevermind already posted

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

angryhampster posted:

Elon Musk just announced that Tesla drivetrains are now warrantied for life.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

Unreal.

I swear a Tesla is on my car buying future

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm firmly in the internal combustion camp, but Elon Musk is such a likeable Bond villain that I wouldn't mind buying a Tesla

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Holy poo poo. They still make cars with roll down windows?
E: Also, at this point how does it make any financial sense for them to differentiate the radios in these things? It probably costs more to make a base radio and one with a cd player than just to mass produce some of the latter.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 16, 2014

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

travisray2004 posted:

E: Also, at this point how does it make any financial sense for them to differentiate the radios in these things? It probably costs more to make a base radio and one with a cd player than just to mass produce some of the latter.

It probably did cost more 20 years ago when they initially made the radios.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

travisray2004 posted:

Ford's big enough that they probably have a modular radio they pull off the shelves, and they just redirect one of the "parts hoses" appropriately. I think that was one of the benefits of their "world car" proposal too - if you have world cars you can make some real penalty box choices to save a few bucks but still pull them off well since the installed base is so huge.

While we're on the subject, the Canadian-spec Micra ($9998 new MSRP) is a really weird gutted car. Base model has roll-up windows, 15" steelies, manual locks, no cruise, no air-con, no keyless entry, no passenger-side holy poo poo handle, no height adjustment or armrest on the drivers' seat, only has a 41 litre gas tank, but it rings in at 2302 lb dry. All models have a HR16DE 1.6L four banger that's so understressed it can only make 109 horsepower from a sixteen valve dual overhead cam head.

If you kick another five grand into Nissan's kitty, you get all that poo poo plus colour GPS, Bluetooth, backup camera, 16" alloys and keyless start.

I feel like some of the decisions on the base model car are almost to convey an atmosphere of fiduciary responsibility in the same way that devoted Catholics flog themselves.

I have to admit I like the little bastard, but all the ones I've seen on the street are a lot uglier than in photos.
http://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/micra/versions-specs.html

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 16, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know about the latest models but Mazda had something called the FMS radio since 99 or so where the internals are common across the models and have common connectors. The only difference is the faceplate.

uncle_skin
Feb 23, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

Reminds me of when I worked for a Dodge dealership back in the late nineties and they would sell used cars with a "100,000 MILE WARRANTY"*

*(or 6 months, whichever comes first)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Keep in mind that they had to do this because the drive units keep making GBS threads themselves at alarming rates and people would start to freak out sooner or later.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Keep in mind that they had to do this because the drive units keep making GBS threads themselves at alarming rates and people would start to freak out sooner or later.

Warrantying them now though means they're working toward a solution.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Instead of covering their ears and eyes and pretending it doesn't exist and no one else is having the problem wow what a strange occurrence, that will be $5,000 to fix sorry.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In the world of 707HP Dodges etc., the new Peugeot 308 probably isn't very interesting. But it will probably be my next car, when I have to retire the 406 some day.

It comes with a range of gas (3-cylinder turbo 1.2L, up to 130hp) and diesel (1.6L, up to 150hp) engines that all do better than 4.6L/100KM. And through some strange French black magic, the rear swallows 100L more than the larger 508 SW.

Of course, it has all the usual gadgets, but it also has full LED lighting as an option, which is still pretty cool on something that isn't a supercar.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
On some of the earlier transit connect chat, I've seen a few over the past couple of days and the short wheelbase ones actually don't look bad. Are they planning any more drivetrain options or is it just the 2 that are already out?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

you can get it in the uk with the 1.0 ecoboost or 1.6 diesel, but i doubt we'll see either of those any time soon.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

In the world of 707HP Dodges etc., the new Peugeot 308 probably isn't very interesting. But it will probably be my next car, when I have to retire the 406 some day.

It comes with a range of gas (3-cylinder turbo 1.2L, up to 130hp) and diesel (1.6L, up to 150hp) engines that all do better than 4.6L/100KM. And through some strange French black magic, the rear swallows 100L more than the larger 508 SW.

Of course, it has all the usual gadgets, but it also has full LED lighting as an option, which is still pretty cool on something that isn't a supercar.

Are those horribly unreliable? Do they have a habit of trying to kill you suddenly? That looks far too sensible for AI. :ohdear:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Are those horribly unreliable? Do they have a habit of trying to kill you suddenly? That looks far too sensible for AI. :ohdear:

HotCanadianChick posted:

Are those horribly unreliable?

Hope this helps. :)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

angryhampster posted:

Warrantying them now though means they're working toward a solution.

More like they think they're working towards a solution. Or else they know they won't be around in 8 years when the investor cash dries up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

you can get it in the uk with the 1.0 ecoboost or 1.6 diesel, but i doubt we'll see either of those any time soon.

That's what I figured. That thing would be a lot of fun with a good diesel or the Focus ST engine and some AWD. Perfect for driving repeatedly to Colorado during snowboard season kind of fun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

That's what I figured. That thing would be a lot of fun with a good diesel or the Focus ST engine and some AWD. Perfect for driving repeatedly to Colorado during snowboard season kind of fun.

It's on the same platform as the lincoln MKC, which uses the 2.3 ecoboost out of the mustang, and is awd.

A 300hp awd transit connect would be the best minivan ever.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

It's on the same platform as the lincoln MKC, which uses the 2.3 ecoboost out of the mustang, and is awd.

A 300hp awd transit connect would be the best minivan ever.

See, that's what I'm talking about. That kind of combo would definitely be in play for my next car purchase.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lame rear end ford build and price won't let you option the full size transit with the ecoboost and 4.10 rear end :(

How am i supposed to run 12s in a cargo van with 3.73s :argh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

HotCanadianChick posted:

I think they are reliable in regards to the engine and drivetrain, but it's more the trim falling to pieces where most French cars get their bad reliability from

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

How am i supposed to run 12s in a cargo van with 3.73s :argh:

By getting an old RHD Grumman from Canada Post and swapping the Duke out for an LQ4.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
From reading (among other things) a swedish car mags long term test of the 3008, it seems to be Peugeots first really solid car in both real and experienced quality. The 308 is hopefully carrying on that tradition. They still can't rust proof them for poo poo though. This is the left front door of a three year old 3008, and the same car has already had both rear doors replaced because of the exact same problem the year before. Yes, two year old doors with bubbles from corrosion.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HotCanadianChick posted:

Like Ford and Mazda, Peugeot can make even their most basic everyday cars handle well and be fun to drive. They've also made some of the best hot hatches/compacts ever made (205 GTI/T16, 405 Mi16/T16, 306 GTI6 etc.).

They had a bad period from around the early 2000s, with not-very-good cars like the 407, 207, 307, old 308 and so on, but I think it's fair to say they're back to form now with their latest models.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

From reading (among other things) a swedish car mags long term test of the 3008, it seems to be Peugeots first really solid car in both real and experienced quality. The 308 is hopefully carrying on that tradition. They still can't rust proof them for poo poo though. This is the left front door of a three year old 3008, and the same car has already had both rear doors replaced because of the exact same problem the year before. Yes, two year old doors with bubbles from corrosion.

That really surprises me, since my 14-year-old 406 has basically no rust. There's some on the gas tank straps and a bit of surface rust on sway bars and brake backing plates, but nothing major at all. The body is completely rust-free, even where one of the front doors has rubbed on the frame of the rear door for a while (LOL French assembly quality), down to the bare metal. And I don't even think it's fully galvanized, most of it is just done with zink primer. I treat it to a full Dinitrol treatment every 2 years, hopefully that'll keep the rust from taking hold for another 14-15 years.

RE: the 3008 (and possibly 308), "no additional rust-proofing by original owner" is already on my list of dealbreakers when looking at used cars. I learned that when I was looking at buying a Mazda 323 (Protege) or early Mazda 3. Goddamn those cars can rust.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As someone who deals with the parts before they get painted, let me explain. When parts are stamped out, a lot of times they get covered in oil and lube from the pressing (forming with those huge presses) and then sent on to paint after assembly. Most companies have people to check and clean those parts in between; as we do for certain Nissan and Ford parts. If they aren't checked, or just happen to slip by with a tiny bit of that oil still remaining, it will bubble the paint on newer cars. We do all we can to prevent that from happening, but once in a while a few will slip by even the most trained eye.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 17, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

That really surprises me, since my 14-year-old 406 has basically no rust.

Pug has always had a (well deserved) rep as quite the rust buckets here in Sweden at least, and my last three before the 106 (405, 405 Break, 306) all had car cancer when I sold them. The 306 was 8 yo when I bought it and 11 when I sold it, and by then the lower lip of both front doors had started swelling. I'd also refurbed the rear axle on both 405s, ungrateful bastards (not that that had anything to do with rust in the common sense).

Devyl posted:

As someone who deals with the parts before they get painted, let me explain. When parts are stamped out, a lot of times they get covered in oil and lube from the pressing (forming with those huge presses) and then sent on to paint after assembly. Most companies have people to check and clean those parts in between; as we do for certain Nissan and Ford parts. If they aren't checked, or just happen to slip by with a tiny bit of that oil still remaining, it will bubble the paint on newer cars. We do all we can to prevent that from happening, but once in a while a few will slip by even the most trained eye.

Would this make for the kind of bubbles that don't start showing up until after a couple of years? This car was meticulously looked after which is why the owner actually spotted them (I don't look that closely on my cars), so they where detected pretty fast when they showed up.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Would this make for the kind of bubbles that don't start showing up until after a couple of years? This car was meticulously looked after which is why the owner actually spotted them (I don't look that closely on my cars), so they where detected pretty fast when they showed up.

It's possible that there was some moisture trapped in the folds of the door metal from manufacturing and it slowly just rusted itself to where it became visible. Either way it's more than likely a manufacturing defect, as it shouldn't be bubbling up at all, let alone that fast.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've had rust bubbles like what Devyl suggests, but the "few years later" rust bubbles are usually trapped moisture, often because of bad seam sealing or a badly designed joint.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Has this been posted yet?
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/giulia/88203/new-alfa-romeo-giulia-gta-to-target-bmw-m3

Rear-drive Alfa w/ ~500 horsepower turbo V6 (fingers crossed) :getin:

Oh yeah, and the Giulia is finally taking shape.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Has this been posted yet?
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/giulia/88203/new-alfa-romeo-giulia-gta-to-target-bmw-m3

Rear-drive Alfa w/ ~500 horsepower turbo V6 (fingers crossed) :getin:

Oh yeah, and the Giulia is finally taking shape.

That's just some photoshop special commissioned by the magazine. No photos have been published/leaked from Fiat/Alfa.

However in may they did discuss their future engine range. Basically it is three turbo gasoline engines and two turbodiesels with varying outputs.

I'd guess:
- 1.4 4 cyl, 120-180 hp (Fiat/Alfa 1.4 multiair)
- 1.75 4 cyl, 170-330 hp (the 4C/Giulietta QV engine with different boost levels)
- 3.0-4.0 6 cyl with 400-520 hp. (Ghibli has a 3.0 330-410 hp six, enlarged or more boost?)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The 2015 Stingray's valet mode turns on the data logger, including dashcam:

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-corvette-turned-a-data-logger-into-the-best-va-1623397452

Hilarious and brilliant idea.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I eagerly await the youtube videos that will provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Guinness posted:

I eagerly await the youtube videos that will provide.

I'm thinking the scenes from "Ferris Bueller's" when the valets take Cameron's dad's Ferrari for a run