Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tangible scoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

…Malleable scoff?

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
His real name is Jimmy Cameras

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

jazzyjay posted:

Jimmy Scrambles :parrot:

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

BiggerBoat posted:

I always thought that this, aside from doing the War Against the Machines and all that, would be the only way to make any fresh Terminator sequels. Something like you said (set during WW2) or in the old West, the revolutionary war or whatever that ups the ante of "I can't stop it. Not with these weapons". It worked for Prey.

It's hardly original but I think you could do some interesting things with it with clever writers. UNfortunately, I think the demand for more Terminator movies is over

Now a good Terminator video game on the other hand...

Let's borrow from Alien: Isolation and make a Terminator game with that template.

My dream Terminator sequel is a movie that is called something else entirely, without Terminator in the title. It'll never happen.

A gritty grimy low-budget chase, like some sort of Halloween-style horror movie with an unstoppable killer who can eat a bullet to the chest and emotionlessly keep on chugging and murdering.

Then finally someone lights his rear end on fire, and the skin melts off to reveal the chrome skull and red eyes while the soundtrack kicks in.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

jazzyjay posted:

And his mission is to drown as much of hollywood as he can

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

That whole article is great because it's pretty much the most humility Cameron's ever shown publicly and he's still like "I've created the greatest film ever and I'm going to blow your loving minds."

I remember when he responded to criticism of Avatar 2 being so goddamn long people might miss things going to the bathroom, and he's just 'So they can catch it the next time they watch the movie'.

The supreme arrogance that is entirely justified given last I checked it's still topping the box office probably and effortlessly crushed a MCU movie.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember when he responded to criticism of Avatar 2 being so goddamn long people might miss things going to the bathroom, and he's just 'So they can catch it the next time they watch the movie'.

The supreme arrogance that is entirely justified given last I checked it's still topping the box office probably and effortlessly crushed a MCU movie.

Which Disney probably feels ambivalent about.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Disney's thrilled because they also own Avatar. They own the three highest grossing films of all time, maybe the six highest grossing? I don't know what the deal is with Titanic, Fox was involved on that one but I don't know how much of it they own.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're still releasing mcu movies?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Baron von Eevl posted:

Disney's thrilled because they also own Avatar. They own the three highest grossing films of all time, maybe the six highest grossing? I don't know what the deal is with Titanic, Fox was involved on that one but I don't know how much of it they own.

I meant about crushing their own movie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

My dream Terminator sequel is a movie that is called something else entirely, without Terminator in the title. It'll never happen.

A gritty grimy low-budget chase, like some sort of Halloween-style horror movie with an unstoppable killer who can eat a bullet to the chest and emotionlessly keep on chugging and murdering.

Then finally someone lights his rear end on fire, and the skin melts off to reveal the chrome skull and red eyes while the soundtrack kicks in.

I was convinced that was what baby driver was building up to and was upset when the obviously superhuman guy was just some dude.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
From GenChat:

Gripweed posted:

Are you thinking of the time that Christian Bale throws two handgun clips on the ground at the start of the fight and then reloads mid-fight by slamming the guns onto the clips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4weEXyoXZKs

Gripweed posted:

I forgot to mention that the clips he throws on the ground have weights on the bottom so they'll stand up by themselves, meaning that they are standard gear and the reload by slamming the guns down on them is a move he was trained to do.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Equilibrium is one of the all time greats.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There'd probably be very good money in an Equilibrium remake with Keanu Reeves these days

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Goodness that scene doesn't hold up as well as I remember.

Objectively the best scene in that movie involves a puppy.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I just love that in that final battle shot on Equilibrium, Taye Diggs face is just chillin on the ground like some sort of clipping error

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Also that they're supposed to be emotionless but Taye Diggs has probably the most beautiful smile of any man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Also that they're supposed to be emotionless but Taye Diggs has probably the most beautiful smile of any man.

Most of the top Clerics were secretly off their meds. It was an intentional "one rule for me, one for thee" situation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jedit posted:

Most of the top Clerics were secretly off their meds. It was an intentional "one rule for me, one for thee" situation.

yeah i know, but like he's not even pretending with that excellent smile

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Screw the plot, anyone who'd edit a shot of Taye Diggs smiling out of a film is a goddamn idiot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah i know, but like he's not even pretending with that excellent smile
sure but what are people gonna do, get mad at him?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ynohtna posted:

Screw the plot, anyone who'd edit a shot of Taye Diggs smiling out of a film is a goddamn idiot.

:hai:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

For me and presumably most others (unless I was unusually ignorant, which is pretty likely), this was the original Terminator at the cinema. The endoskeleton striding out of the fire was a complete surprise (although I recall thinking there and then it would be awesome if that happened).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Gaius Marius posted:

Cameron has never made an enjoyable film

thanks, my baseball cap is now spinning 4 feet in the air above my head

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

thanks, my baseball cap is now spinning 4 feet in the air above my head

in the pipe, five by five

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Flint_Paper posted:

What I really want is a short film anthology with a focus on the horror. An Animatrix, but Terminator. A T800 being sent too far back and being treated by medieval peasants as a demon talked about in hushed tones. Skynet miscalculating and dropping one in the ocean in the 1700s, and accidentally inventing a sea monster, all metal skeleton caked with barnacles and coral, dragging itself up anchor chains to board unsuspecting boats. Hell, flip it, and have a T800 with a head injury sufficient to render it arguably human, trying to blend in and live a life amongst the survivors in the future war, desperately afraid of being found out.

Sarah Conner Chronicles did something along those lines, where one gets sent back to the 1920's and sets up a businesses that will later become important (think it killed someone by accident in the time travel mishap and that person needed to ~do something important~ so the robot made a fake identity and did the ~important thing~ itself) and when its all set up, it just hides in a wall until it's time for its original mission to take place 80 years later.

E: Looking into it a little further, the robots original plan was to "assassinate the governor of California in 2010" - which would have been Arnold Schwarzenegger

BiggerBoat posted:

Another cameo I didn't catch until the credits is Dave Grohl in the Tenacious D movie

He also did all the drums on their first album :D

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Mar 12, 2023

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Pixar's Coco is amazing in that every time the scene at the end where Miguel sings to Coco comes on, Pixar sends people to sneak into your house and finely dice a bunch of onions directly next to your face, but you can never actually see them.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Breetai posted:

Pixar's Coco is amazing in that every time the scene at the end where Miguel sings to Coco comes on, Pixar sends people to sneak into your house and finely dice a bunch of onions directly next to your face, but you can never actually see them.

There are so many good details in that film. It isn't a perfect movie, but it's fairly close. I was probably slow by some standards, but I'd figured out the twist and more or less the ending of the film by about halfway through. Even having that time being absolutely certain what was going to happen, I still teared up, and it still gets me every time my kid makes me rewatch it.

I think some of my favourite details are about the dog, Dante. One I only really registered recently is that at the start of the film, the grandmother has a line about how you don't feed street dogs, because then they will never leave. At the very end of the film, during the last scene, you see her smile while giving Dante some food. It's not the most subtle thing in the world, but the camera focus isn't on them at the time, so I'm counting it.

I also realised that they did an interesting thing with the scoring for Remember Me. As it was originally written by Hector, it was a slow lullaby, intended to be performed by one person with a guitar. Ernesto only had the lyrics and when you see him perform it, it's a hugely overwrought production done to an upbeat tempo. He didn't understand personal connections in the same way Hector did, so he completely misinterpreted the meaning of the song. The theming of this in the film is more text than subtext, Ernesto clearly viewed it as being about remembering how awesome he is, Hector wrote it to be about how sad he was to be parted from someone he loved. Ernesto is shallow, Hector is not. What I think is a little more subtle is how they manage to convey large parts of that via the respective orchestration of the piece, particularly what you can pick up on a rewatch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
When I saw Coco my dad was dying from Alzheimers and honestly, it was kinda healing to sob my heart out at the movie. Lovely.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Pretty much half that movie is conversations like "why did you do this?" "oh i felt like it would be useful" "oh what's that? you feel do you? do you have feelings? huh? Huh? do you?". It's amazing.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

E: Looking into it a little further, the robots original plan was to "assassinate the governor of California in 2010" - which would have been Arnold Schwarzenegger
If Schwarzenegger becomes a well known public figure, the T-800s will be immediately recognizable and no longer be useful infiltrators.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Good thing they stopped him shortly after becoming governor, that way he would have never become famous.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Going back to T2 and the whole “is Arnold good or bad” the movie drops a subtle hint in the very beginning when Arnold enters the bar and the waitress looks at his no doubt huge cock and nods approvingly. Bad guys don’t get that treatment.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

But bad boys do.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Also John Connors initials are JC and he’s the savior of mankind. And who also has the initials JC that saved all of mankind?

That’s right Jesus Christ, another fictional character from Mel Gibsons Oscar Isaac winning epic, The Passion of the Christ

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jesus loving Christ this is the best movie of all time

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

Jesus loving Christ this is the best movie of all time

Well, now we know who did it - it was Jim Cameron, for an uncompleted movie.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
A friend of mine has never seen a Terminator movie. I'm kind of silly excited to introduce it to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JC Denton!?