Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Fair, I meant more in terms of not having empty flights. There are fewer but your experience as a passenger will be closer to the jammed flights of pre covid.

They don't care if you get sick and die, they already have your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
AA’s EXP office called me to check on “the current state of affairs and health”. I missed the call but I don’t really want to talk about my well being with an airline.

Haven’t flown since February, when I was at a conference and originally exposed to a Covid positive guy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

They don't care if you get sick and die, they already have your money.

I didn’t ever imply anything else. They don’t give 2 shits.

Mandalay posted:

AA’s EXP office called me to check on “the current state of affairs and health”. I missed the call but I don’t really want to talk about my well being with an airline.

Haven’t flown since February, when I was at a conference and originally exposed to a Covid positive guy.

They did this to me back in like April for CK, it was weird but they weren’t reading off a script so I dunno. Was more of a novelty at that tone.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Did they offer you anything of value?

I.e. am I missing out by not calling the EXP office back?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No, just extending benefits like everyone else...just told me before they announced.

With CK it’s all a mystery so I was curious if they’d boot me for almost 0 spend.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mandalay posted:

If I got that call I'd tell them I'm doing just fine working from home and I'll start traveling again once COVID-19 is under control. Do airline executives honestly expect people to travel during a pandemic? Not to mention, the overwhelming majority of events, venues, conferences, bars, clubs, etc. are all still closed. Yea, I know they're all greedy terrible companies but at the same time I don't see this to be a realistic approach at all. Delta is at least marketing themselves as the "safe" airline.

I'm likely wrong about this but I'm hoping things will at least start to recover next Spring. One can hope :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 1, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It literally wasn’t a call to coerce me to fly or anything. It was totally innocent and companies don’t care or whatever so it’s confusing but it was....harmless? Nice?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

sellouts posted:

It literally wasn’t a call to coerce me to fly or anything. It was totally innocent and companies don’t care or whatever so it’s confusing but it was....harmless? Nice?

They're collecting data on their market, there's no mystery. Some executive committee is getting a monthly summary report on the "current state of affairs and health" of the airlines top-tier flyers along with a bunch of other summary reports so they can all feel like they are doing something besides firing a quarter of their rank and file workforce.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And It was totally harmless and nice and I don’t care that they use it to file report.

If it could possibly help me keep CK, which has super weird non-standard rules I’d do a shitload more than answer the phone and have a 7 min casual conversation that didn’t feel like I was taking a survey. Which, for how lovely American corporate is, is pretty surprising they were able to make it feel that way.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Got my first upgrade on my first work flight post-covid. Hoping AA isn’t a complete poo poo show, but not expecting anything, especially past the 10/1 gutting if airline employees.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
So following up on my post from Wednesday- I'm sick and showing symptoms of the Roni. I think it might be the flu or something, but I'm going to pay for a rapid test today.

I'm also going to howl at AA about it. The fact that they went far enough to get the gate agent to almost throw this woman off, and let her fly regardless is stupid as gently caress. What's more is that after a 2.5hr flight that was spent with the cabin crew and other passengers yelling at her to put her loving mask on- no one met her on the ground, and she was allowed to gently caress off into the depths of LGA without follow-up or anything.

I'm a Delta loyalist so I know nothing about American's CS system, what's the best way to talk to a supervisor or someone who would care enough to track this poo poo? I figure talking to the NYC tracking program would be a good start?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bitching on twitter is pretty reliable

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bitching on twitter is pretty reliable

I don't have one- I might just contact the Illinois and NY State taskforces and just lay it out. My time in NYC was limited to about 22 hours and was largely spent doing a vigil mass at a funeral home, everything was distanced and I had no contact with anyone living without a mask or other precautions. I'm not worried about me spreading, but that flight was packed and that woman was coughing, panting, and blowing her nose the whole drat time.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Immanentized posted:

I don't have one- I might just contact the Illinois and NY State taskforces and just lay it out. My time in NYC was limited to about 22 hours and was largely spent doing a vigil mass at a funeral home, everything was distanced and I had no contact with anyone living without a mask or other precautions. I'm not worried about me spreading, but that flight was packed and that woman was coughing, panting, and blowing her nose the whole drat time.

That sucks and I hope you're ok. Reporting it for contact tracing purposes is a good idea, but I'd also file a DOT complaint (https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer) along with submitting to AA, as AA will not give two shits without the DOT getting involved.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Absolutely report it to DoT. Before the last 8 hours I’d say contracting CV via a commercial flight would be a big deal in the news cycle.

Curious who else caught it and wishing you the best. loving sucks.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Mackieman posted:

as AA will not give two shits without the DOT getting involved.

This. You reporting it? Ha. Tweeting it? Not unless you have a lot of followers or the outrage brigade picks up on it (your local news can sometimes help, if they aren't already burnt out on 'Rona stories).

DOT however will get their attention because that means it'll get reported on official stats somewhere and otherwise caught up in the bureaucratic machine and they loving hate that. At that point they'll offer you some token bullshit, probably (miles, I can guarantee it) to get you to shut up and if you test positive it'll go in to trace db...maybe.

Hope you come out of this ok, that sucks.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks all, I submitted a DOT form, emailed the NYC tracing program a copy, and forwarded another copy to the Illinois program. I live in Nebraska, so LOL at them doing anything about it. Hopefully, the guy next to her that she passed out against and drooled on for the first part of the flight is informed and gets checked too.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Flew MCO-DFW-MSY today. When we deplaned in DFW, an AA employee was waiting at the gate with a placard with my name on it. I identified myself and she said she was with AA premium services and wanted to personally thank me for my business. Then she told me where my connecting flight was. I told her I wanted to walk there as I had ~1 hour until boarding and she couldn’t believe it, kept trying to get me to use the skylink or whatever. She was so perplexed that someone might want to walk the terminals :lol:. I told her I’ll be back through DFW every other week for the near future.

People seemed to be abiding well to the mask rules. The FA on the flight to MSY stopped someone and gave them a surgical mask because they had one with the filters, told them the wouldn’t be allowed on otherwise. Yes, middle seats were full, but otherwise, all went well.

I know everyone shits on AA and the poster up thread had a bad experience recently, but my flights today went ok. I don’t want to shill for AA, but after everything I’ve read lately, I expected it to be much worse.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I've flown Southwest and Delta in the last few weeks.

Southwest was pretty good. Mask enforcement, middle seats blocked, can't complain.

Delta was excellent. Middle seats are open through at least Jan. They hand out alcohol wipes on boarding to wipe down your area. There are more in every snack pack they hand out. They were religious about mask enforcement on all 4 flights I was on, including replacing valve masks. There's also an army -- talking 6-8 people -- waiting on the jetway as you deplane to clean between flights, and they were discussing all the OT they were being offered lately. I'm super impressed and they're my first choice from now on.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Valve masks (along with mesh masks) rank right up there with the people who leave their noses uncovered in the hierarchy of dipshits who just want to be a pain in the rear end about this.

They get pretty salty too when forced to swap out for the generic ones. "I can't breath as well in those!" Yes, fuckhead, your other mask has a valve that allows your lovely breath to freely flow when you exhale, that's why it's easier.

I've seen this little drama acted out at the front of the plane twice now.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ixian posted:

Valve masks (along with mesh masks) rank right up there with the people who leave their noses uncovered in the hierarchy of dipshits who just want to be a pain in the rear end about this.

They get pretty salty too when forced to swap out for the generic ones. "I can't breath as well in those!" Yes, fuckhead, your other mask has a valve that allows your lovely breath to freely flow when you exhale, that's why it's easier.

I don’t doubt it, but the guy sat behind me and I overheard him talking quietly about it to his SO. He was saying he’d not heard about that (how?!?) and that he didn’t care, that the surgical mask was fine. He didn’t give the FA any other problems and I didn’t hear any other complaints, so I guess he was ok with it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

Flew MCO-DFW-MSY today. When we deplaned in DFW, an AA employee was waiting at the gate with a placard with my name on it. I identified myself and she said she was with AA premium services and wanted to personally thank me for my business. Then she told me where my connecting flight was. I told her I wanted to walk there as I had ~1 hour until boarding and she couldn’t believe it, kept trying to get me to use the skylink or whatever. She was so perplexed that someone might want to walk the terminals :lol:. I told her I’ll be back through DFW every other week for the near future.

People seemed to be abiding well to the mask rules. The FA on the flight to MSY stopped someone and gave them a surgical mask because they had one with the filters, told them the wouldn’t be allowed on otherwise. Yes, middle seats were full, but otherwise, all went well.

I know everyone shits on AA and the poster up thread had a bad experience recently, but my flights today went ok. I don’t want to shill for AA, but after everything I’ve read lately, I expected it to be much worse.

I did MKE-CLT and CLT-ORD-MKE this weekend and one of the things that stood out to me was that AA has gone back to normal group-based boarding as well as all the other things they do differently (or possibly less good depending on one's perspective) than the other airlines. They did repeatedly ask people to stay seated until the row in front of them was moving out when we landed; to me that seems odd and somewhat pointless when juxtaposed with the realities of boarding by groups. ORD-MKE was operated by SkyWest on a CR7 and they were handing out sanitizing wipes, something that UA and DL both were doing last I heard, but not AA mainline. Surface transmission isn't so much a concern anymore, but the thought is nice.

Thankfully our flights were all about half full so we didn't have any crowding issues in MCE on the way down and F on the way back up (because it was super cheap). And with the reduced elite qualifications, I made gold. :shrug:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mackieman posted:

I did MKE-CLT and CLT-ORD-MKE this weekend and one of the things that stood out to me was that AA has gone back to normal group-based boarding as well as all the other things they do differently (or possibly less good depending on one's perspective) than the other airlines. They did repeatedly ask people to stay seated until the row in front of them was moving out when we landed; to me that seems odd and somewhat pointless when juxtaposed with the realities of boarding by groups. ORD-MKE was operated by SkyWest on a CR7 and they were handing out sanitizing wipes, something that UA and DL both were doing last I heard, but not AA mainline. Surface transmission isn't so much a concern anymore, but the thought is nice.

Thankfully our flights were all about half full so we didn't have any crowding issues in MCE on the way down and F on the way back up (because it was super cheap). And with the reduced elite qualifications, I made gold. :shrug:

Mainline MCO-DFW handed out a baggie to everyone upon boarding with a alcohol wipe, small water bottle and blueberry fig bar. The American Eagle flight DFW-MSW did not hand anything out.

I did notice them asking people to stay seated until the row in front of you completely got out though, which was less chaotic.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ixian posted:

Actually, as far as anyone has studied them, a valved N95 is no worse at preventing droplet transmission than the multilayer cloth mask your seat mate is wearing, which may have been sewed together using instructions from the internet.

But valve scolds never mention that, and never scold people who wear cloth masks (homemade or bought).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

drgitlin posted:

Actually, as far as anyone has studied them, a valved N95 is no worse at preventing droplet transmission than the multilayer cloth mask your seat mate is wearing, which may have been sewed together using instructions from the internet.

But valve scolds never mention that, and never scold people who wear cloth masks (homemade or bought).

Indeed, the whole thing has become about as theatrical as, say, the TSA.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Actually, as far as anyone has studied them, a valved N95 is no worse at preventing droplet transmission than the multilayer cloth mask your seat mate is wearing

Got a source for that? I haven't seen any studies on valved N95s vs other masks.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

drgitlin posted:

I think it's correct that no one has data, but until you have data you err on the side of caution, not dumbassery.

CDC:

quote:

Respirators with exhalation valves protect the wearer from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, but may not prevent the virus spreading from the wearer to others (that is, they may not be effective for source control). Until data are available to describe how effective respirators with exhalation valves are in preventing the spread of SARS-CoV-2 from the wearer to others:

Wear a respirator without an exhalation valve when both source control and respiratory protection are required.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Inept posted:

Got a source for that? I haven't seen any studies on valved N95s vs other masks.

Yes: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/36/eabd3083.full

It was discussed extensively a few weeks ago when it showed up as a preprint, mostly framed as “don’t wear a neck gaiter, it’s no better than no mask at all”. It looks like Science stuck it through peer review and published it. There are some limitations to it, but it’s the most anyone’s looked at the problem as far as I’m aware.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
It seems like there's a serious rental car shortage in smaller cities. My reservation wasn't honored due to overbooking, so I had to go to four different locations and then back to the airport to track down a car that wasn't cleaned yet and thus not officially available. The client was super understanding, but it was pretty embarrassing. All of the rideshare drivers said that there are a bunch of other people doing the same thing.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Stupid loving question: I just flew LAX-LHR-LAX on BA. Can I credit my miles to AA where I have an account and miles instead of opening an account with BA?

Both flights were quite pleasant and very empty on BA's ancient 777.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I woke up this morning to find out New Orleans was getting another hurricane, so I pushed up my flight to Wednesday. It was nice and easy now that there’s no change fees and plenty of empty seats.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Casual Yogurt posted:

Stupid loving question: I just flew LAX-LHR-LAX on BA. Can I credit my miles to AA where I have an account and miles instead of opening an account with BA?

Both flights were quite pleasant and very empty on BA's ancient 777.

AA claims you can on many BA routes subject to rules based on the ticket class, check AA’s site under partner airlines.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Cacafuego posted:

If I have the time I like walking my way through DFW. It's so god drat massive, sometimes you just have to see it for yourself. It's also nice to work the blood clots out a little bit.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

They aren't enforcing the policy for valved N95 masks. They are enforcing it for the 10,000 cheap rear end knockoff valve mask varients that got pushed out because they are easier to breath in. No airline, or anywhere else for that matter, is going to put themselves in the position of "wait, is that a real peer-reviewed N95 valve mask? Here let me pull out my ID book".

We could be dickheads about this anyway and say well, sure, and there are cloth masks that aren't that effective either, and this is all just theater, and oh the humanity whiney-whine-whine - or maybe just be decent human beings and try our best to not spread germs to one another, extra-careful right now, even if it means going a little over the top just to get along.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Mackieman posted:

This mirrors my American experiences and those of others I know who have flown American and Delta. United seems to be somewhere in the middle, which, in a way, is maintaining the status quo.

This is why I am so glad I picked Delta, other than letting those politicians from MN fly they have been on point and not loving around.

Last week the sky club in the middle of A terminal at DTW looked as full as normal but I think thats because all the other ones are still closed, the one at MKE is still closed. : [

On a different note I tried renting from National last week at BTV and it was the same experience as Avis, they tried putting me in a "full size" which means mid size and when I got a slightly larger car (impala) it smelled like smoke still. At least it was nice enough out that I could drive with the windows down the whole time.

I also saw the former sheriff on the fast park shuttle not wearing a mask most of the ride, I figure if I would have said something I'd end up like the guy he had taken off the plane when it landed in MKE a few years back.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AA is lowering elite status qualifications for next year, as well as giving credit for any travel from 10/2020 through 12/2021 as well as making some other (not bad) additions/changes.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

AA is lowering elite status qualifications for next year, as well as giving credit for any travel from 10/2020 through 12/2021 as well as making some other (not bad) additions/changes.

Looks like they embraced reality before everyone else. I'm sure Delta and United will follow shortly, but I'm interested to see what comes of it because there have been tiny spurts of creativity and trying to capture market share recently.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

Up from 2020 requirements however. :v:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

Up from 2020 requirements however. :v:

It's always easy to go back down rather than to increase in the middle of a program year. Also there's no way in gently caress that air travel is going to recover that quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mackieman posted:

It's always easy to go back down rather than to increase in the middle of a program year. Also there's no way in gently caress that air travel is going to recover that quickly.

Yeah, I still have no idea what my personal/business travel is going to look like in 2021.