Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

I feel dirty for having read this for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

This was just posted in main Marvel thread.

Connellingus posted:

Today's Captain America reveals that the real endgame behind all of HydraCap's scheming was to give him an opportunity to deliver a sick burn to Sally Floyd that he's been sitting on for a full ten years.

Clearly Cap does have a superpower. His mouth doubles as a flamethrower.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

TwoPair posted:

That is so definitely an edit, but I admit I chuckled.

Amazingly it's not:

http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupidcovers/stupidcomics215.html

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" screams Nick Spencer as he sticks his sick strawman burns in a Nazi's mouth.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 24, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just gently caress everything about that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I don't think I like this Nick Spencer person. He seems like a cock.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus christ no wonder she loves the uranium, she's a loving eight foot tall mutant

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SomeMathGuy posted:

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" screams Nick Spencer as he sticks his sick strawman burns in a Nazi's mouth.

He was referencing Sally's interview with Steve in Civil War when she called him an irrelevant relic for not knowing what social media (or NASCAR) was.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

He was referencing Sally's interview with Steve in Civil War when she called him an irrelevant relic for not knowing what social media (or NASCAR) was.

that was a decade ago

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cap is no stranger to playing the long game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Alaois posted:

that was a decade ago

If they knew how to let things go, would they be in the comic book business?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

that was a decade ago

or 5 days in comic time

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, uh, that just looks like the writer who frequently complains about Twitter people being mad at him throwing in a sick burn into his bad comic.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Alaois posted:

that was a decade ago

So? It still gets brought up regularly, including this very forum. Because it was so dumb and looks even more so now, because it references the hot stuff of yesterday, failed social network MySpace.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Yeah, uh, that just looks like the writer who frequently complains about Twitter people being mad at him throwing in a sick burn into his bad comic.

I mean you're free to think that of course, but that's very clearly a nod back to that panel that still shows up everywhere to this day. That's why it's Sally Floyd.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Decius posted:

So? It still gets brought up regularly, including this very forum. Because it was so dumb and looks even more so now, because it references the hot stuff of yesterday, failed social network MySpace.

Is that brought up a lot outside this forum

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Maybe Spencer just enjoys getting a rise out of people? Any people, for any reason. I suppose it pays the bills, one sly dig at a time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean, this could also just be a reference to the fact that Steve is clearly far beyond what the repercussions to imprisoning a journalist would be. At that point 'Twitter being mad' is both a guarantee and utterly irrelevant to him. Does she really expect that turn to matter at this stage when he's done worse?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 24, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So when is it going to turn out that Steve's really pulling a Revolver Ocelot (ideally ending with him fist-fighting a depowered Magneto on top of a destroyed Sentinel)? A year? Two?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
From Optimus Prime #7 and it's a good old fashioned pun gag

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Keeshhound posted:

So when is it going to turn out that Steve's really pulling a Revolver Ocelot (ideally ending with him fist-fighting a depowered Magneto on top of a destroyed Sentinel)? A year? Two?

Now, that's an idea that I can get behind!

Keeshhound. You're pretty good!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Keeshhound posted:

I'll allow this if he has to repair a break in the shield with a diamondoid compound derived from the ashes of Rick Jones.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Decius posted:

But it was done better years ago:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Alhazred posted:

For some reason I really hate fake issue references. Even in the Howard the Duck stuff, where it's taken to a bigger extreme.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Alhazred posted:

Fictional Paul Jenkins seems like a nice bloke but you just know he's got some whackadoo story cooking where everyone turns out to deeply regret what they did to his beloved Sentry.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batwoman #3. Kate is investigating some shady property developers with Julia Pennyworth on coms.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Secret Empire #3

For context, Star-Lord and Rocket are meeting with the leaders of the most powerful groups and governments in the galaxy to help take care of the planetary shield and Stevil.
Seeing as Earth has pissed off each and every one of them over the years, it does not go well at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Pissed them off by beating them when they tried to invade, I'm guessing? That's got to be the case for at least a few.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That's some art, alright.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That second panel in particular looks like someone just used Image > Adjust > Threshold on a screen grab from Guardians of the Galaxy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whenever some big cosmic kerfluffle happens it always involves earth. sometimes earth is even the direct cause, like the annihilation wave and the builders.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SilverSupernova posted:

Secret Empire #3

For context, Star-Lord and Rocket are meeting with the leaders of the most powerful groups and governments in the galaxy to help take care of the planetary shield and Stevil.
Seeing as Earth has pissed off each and every one of them over the years, it does not go well at all.

Why is that Groot a baby? Besides that he's a baby in the movie, I mean.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Who What Now posted:

Movies are the only things that matter.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

The comics are always having that cake and eating it, too; Groot seems to be constantly getting blown up so that he has to reconstitute himself from a twig into a baby for as long as the plot requires.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Who What Now posted:

He's stuck in that form because some weird magic garden thing is leeching off his lifeforce and preventing him from growing for now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SilverSupernova posted:

Stevil approves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was the nerdiest loving thing i've ever read

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was the nerdiest loving thing i've ever read

Yeah, you have to have a lot of tabletop RPG time under your belt before "Knights of the Dinner Table" is even kind of funny, and even then the joke's worn very thin.

Still, Stevil as the supreme leader of HYDRA would actually be very much in-character for him, since he's a hate-filled cubicle drone.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

prefect posted:

Movies are the only things that matter.

which is funny considering The stinger in GotG2 where Groot's grown into "tween" age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

redbackground posted:

That's some art, alright.

I like Sorrentino a lot but this just isn't a good fit. His style is much better for smaller-scale stories, and it clashes with Spencer's attempts at humour.