Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

ummel posted:

An artillery shell? Well that's interesting. So it may have been counter battery fire?

No, because artillery isn't so inaccurate that you'd hit a hospital when you were trying to hit a truck nearly a mile away

This would have to have been a deliberate shelling or bombing of the site by the IDF

Edit: vvvv

nessin posted:

Is there more proof of the audio being fake? The original claim was literally "we played this for two Arab journalists and they both agreed this couldn't be real".

I haven't seen anyone able to trot out a native speaker who would back the syntax or dialect of the conversation as of yet

The people who speak the language who have heard it all seem to say it sounds absurd, just completely wrong in multiple ways, and I'm not going to argue with a native speaker over how their language is supposed to be spoken

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

selec posted:

I can’t get my head around ignoring the faked audio. Like how do you trust a source after they try to pull that poo poo? Is it just “everybody lies, so what” and move on? Because that level of ostentatious disrespect for the people trying to make good faith arguments on your behalf seems rhetorically suicidal. Does releasing fake audio mean you are beyond caring what anyone thinks, and just feeding the people you need to feed propaganda to keep the cognitive dissonance tamped down internally? That’s the only sense I can make of it; they aren’t actually interested in convincing anyone, they intend to act with impunity, and frauds and faked evidence are for consumption by true believers, not intended for meaningful consideration by anyone else.

Is there more proof of the audio being fake? The original claim was literally "we played this for two Arab journalists and they both agreed this couldn't be real".

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

nessin posted:

Starts at about 1:39. tldr version is that it's 2 separate audio recordings spliced together.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

selec posted:

I can’t get my head around ignoring the faked audio. Like how do you trust a source after they try to pull that poo poo? Is it just “everybody lies, so what” and move on? Because that level of ostentatious disrespect for the people trying to make good faith arguments on your behalf seems rhetorically suicidal. Does releasing fake audio mean you are beyond caring what anyone thinks, and just feeding the people you need to feed propaganda to keep the cognitive dissonance tamped down internally? That’s the only sense I can make of it; they aren’t actually interested in convincing anyone, they intend to act with impunity, and frauds and faked evidence are for consumption by true believers, not intended for meaningful consideration by anyone else.

I don't know if the audio was faked or not, but taken at face value it didn't seem particularly conclusive even if it wasn't faked. It was just two guys speculating in real time about what happened. Unless I saw the wrong audio transcript.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

That's...a really good point I didn't think about. I am an idiot

It's something that the media blackout of the Palestinian condition causes to be a common mistake. Everyone here in the U.S. just kind of assumes the Palestinians and Israelis are always at a low-level background hum of shooting/bombing each other. Hardly anyone here knows that the West Bank hasn't really been violently rebelling against Israel in decades, nor that what they've gotten for their peaceful approach is to be absolutely annihilated by settlements. We all want to believe a fairy tale that peaceful resistance always wins out like it did for Gandhi and MLK, but it's been a loving disaster for the West Bank.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/dimitrilascaris/status/1715137246431449451?s=46

Real strong “we investigated ourselves and found that we did nothing wrong” from Israel and the US backing them up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

selec posted:

Last year, a US citizen wearing full press regalia was assassinated by an IDF sniper in broad daylight, and the IDF threw the whole playbook at the story, claiming she was actually assassinated by militant Palestinians to frame them, that she was gunned down by Palestinians by accident, that she got caught in the crossfire of a shootout and that it's impossible to determine which side fired the final bullet, before settling on "okay maybe we did it, but if so it was an accident and no one will be held responsible" after months of pushback, which the US state department uncritically accepted.

There is allegedly an ongoing FBI investigation into the matter, but both the Department of Justice and Israeli authorities refuse to acknowledge it.

That is the most pushback the IDF has received from the US for committing a war crime and openly and transparently lying about it, so why should they bother putting any effort into it? It won't matter that it gets debunked.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
All they had to do was throw up enough of a smokescreen for a day or two and it's already out of public discussions.

Real hosed up thing was Shireen was an American too. That's why she had access into parts of Israel and Palestine that others wouldn't. Probably why she got assassinated.

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Zzulu posted:

Hamas has never been interested in improving Palestine. It's not their stated goal or their mission. The mission is to destroy Israel and create an islamic state on their territory under sharia law - this is how they came to be in the first place.

What a crock of poo poo. You zionists have the long term memory of a goldfish.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Last year, a US citizen wearing full press regalia was assassinated by an IDF sniper in broad daylight, and the IDF threw the whole playbook at the story, claiming she was actually assassinated by militant Palestinians to frame them, that she was gunned down by Palestinians by accident, that she got caught in the crossfire of a shootout and that it's impossible to determine which side fired the final bullet, before settling on "okay maybe we did it, but if so it was an accident and no one will be held responsible" after months of pushback, which the US state department uncritically accepted.

There is allegedly an ongoing FBI investigation into the matter, but both the Department of Justice and Israeli authorities refuse to acknowledge it.

That is the most pushback the IDF has received from the US for committing a war crime and openly and transparently lying about it, so why should they bother putting any effort into it? It won't matter that it gets debunked.

I had forgotten this part:

quote:

During the funeral, Israeli Police officers attacked pallbearers who were carrying her coffin from the Saint Joseph Hospital in East Jerusalem with batons and stun grenades.[13] The hospital itself was stormed by Israeli police who hit, shoved, and trampled on patients, threw stun grenades, wounding and causing burns to medical staff.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1715177479642509671
https://twitter.com/centristsFTW/status/1715203571967533088
Is the U.S. trying to cover this up?

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 20, 2023

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nm: wrong thread

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1715407002015297717
https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/1713900853818523840

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

selec posted:

Is keeping an apartheid state as bad as being a terrorist organization? To me, they’re basically the same thing. You could even argue the apartheid state is worse because they have the power to control their own destiny, which Hamas really doesn’t have total control over their own future the way Israel does.

How does the math shake out for having the power to starve or murder an entire people vs maybe just the desire to do so but no power to enact that?

Lol, Lmao! But go on pleaase

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hamas released two American hostages, largely in part to Qatari negotiations, and, specifically pointed out in statements, no thanks to "Joe Biden and his fascist administration".
https://x.com/ShaykhSulaiman/status/1715413571427811694?s=20

The hostages are Judith Raanan and her daughter Natalie of Evanston, Illinois.

Meanwhile, Netanyahu is busy writing off hostages in front of their families so he can continue his bombing campaign, even throwing in ringers as fake family members.
https://x.com/abesilbe/status/1714852909576339876?s=20

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hamas is releasing hostages. Biden spoke with the family of two of the American hostages:
https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-10-20-23/index.html

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Jen heir rick posted:

I'm sorry you perceive me as hostile

that isn't an apology and it's not a matter of just their perception, you were incredibly hostile towards them from the word go. they came in and said "hey the BBC interviewed a guy who said this at such and such time, does anyone else know anything about this" and it's fine if the thread's collective answer is just 'no'. you don't have to go find the interview based on that information if you don't want to and you don't owe them a conversation about the implications of a vague report of an unlinked interview but chill out.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I'm glad you reposted this picture because I've been having a little trouble finding it and I want to point out a few notable things about this and why I don't think this was a rocket:

1. There is visible pavement distortion in a huge radius around the impact site. Using the cars as a reference, the average car is about 14.5 feet long, there's pavement distortion about 3 car lengths out from the blast radius (left side of the image) and the blast seems to go the same distance in the other direction towards the parked cars. This is about a 30 meter blast radius.

2. The blast had enough force to completely destroy 13 vehicles, and by the looks of it, probably on impact? Those cars are completely burnt out, so I'm assuming the gas tanks must have gone when the blast went off. The closest vehicles to the blast are crushed almost flat.

3. Even outside of the 30 meter radius, vehicles and buildings are clearly severely damaged. The picture seems to go out about 45 meters away from the blast radius or more and there's still damage to windshields, shingles, and likely any human beings who were in that area

It is very hard for me to believe that anything in the arsenal of Palestine is capable of doing this much damage on a malfunction. I'm not a ballistics expert, but this is a huge amount of devastation over a very large area.

Edit: OH yeah and you guys wanna guess what has a 30 meter radius with enough destructive force to pancake cars and explode gas tanks?

https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoIGaza/Kill_Radius_Compared.pdf

(it's a JDAM)

I'm not saying the IDF didn't do it but I'm quite confident it wasn't a 2000lb bomb, that would have done a lot more. this is a video of a test explosion that hopefully makes that clear. Note that the car right at the impact point got spread over a wide area, not set on fire. With respect, damaged shingles and windscreens are not usually 'severe damage', fragmentation can easily go that far; blast radius and kill radius are different things.
To be clear I'm also not trying to reopen discussion of which side was responsible. The doppler and fragmentation analysis was interesting and I await further input from experts - I don't have any reason to rule out an artillery shell. Regardless of that particular result, as discussed over the past several pages there are plenty of other actions Israel/the IDF are taking that are clearly wrong so it probably isn't helpful for us to get bogged down in divining who did this one specific thing before the experts can compile a full report.
Sorry for necroposting, I don't check in here that frequently, hopefully this was useful.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
there is a wide variety of weapon systems it could be other than a 2000lb bomb. ruling a single thing out sheds virtually no light on any of the significant, outstanding questions. really the whole thing just needs to be rigorously investigated, but it appears efforts to do that will be blocked.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 20, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Former Republican Representative of Michigan, Justin Amash, reports that several of his family members were killed in the bombing of the Saint Porphyrius Church in Gaza.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/20/gaza-church-strike-saint-porphyrius/
https://x.com/justinamash/status/1715470077196194068?s=20

Edit: I edited out some editorializing because I felt it was crude.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 20, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there is a wide variety of weapon systems it could be other than a 2000lb bomb. ruling a single thing out sheds virtually no light on any of the significant, outstanding questions. really the whole thing just needs to be rigorously investigated, but it appears efforts to do that will be blocked.

I think the same reasoning applies all the way down to 250lb and therefore rules out the entire class "airstrike" rather than an individual munition. That said, agreed, I should've just dropped it, that specific hospital explosion isn't really decisive with regard to the overall picture and either way I'm definitely not going to figure it out from here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hadn't seen the video of the bombing with audio until that Chan 4 video, and with audio it's so obviously not a rogue Hamas rocket

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm not clear on why it would rule out "airstrike" as an applicable term. There are many air to ground weapons that are launched by aircraft that less than 250lbs.

Not that it matters, the issue is clearly the fact that there are genuine questions about Israel's claims regarding the hospital bombing that are unlikely to be resolved as neither they or the United States seem interested in finding out what happened, a thing I personally find pretty illuminating.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Hadn't seen the video of the bombing with audio until that Chan 4 video, and with audio it's so obviously not a rogue Hamas rocket

Yeah the first time I saw/heard that clip it was obvious bullshit and in combination with the rocket they blamed disintegrating in the Al Jazeera footage they themselves cited it's impossible it was the culprit.

At least when they lied and blamed a rogue Islamic Jihad rocket on the five dead kids the video being pushed on Twitter showed a rocket flying sideways they don't even have that here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm not clear on why it would rule out "airstrike" as an applicable term. There are many air to ground weapons that are launched by aircraft that less than 250lbs.

Not that it matters, the issue is clearly the fact that there are genuine questions about Israel's claims regarding the hospital bombing that are unlikely to be resolved as neither they or the United States seem interested in finding out what happened, a thing I personally find pretty illuminating.

Current most likely guess is that it was an Israeli howitzer shell, not a bomb, and certainly not a misfiring rocket.

https://x.com/forensicarchi/status/1715422507283443898?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

For context, Forensic Architecture isn't just a random OSINT nobody outfit, but a serious, well-respected organisation that's part of the University of London.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

tiaz posted:

I think the same reasoning applies all the way down to 250lb and therefore rules out the entire class "airstrike" rather than an individual munition. That said, agreed, I should've just dropped it, that specific hospital explosion isn't really decisive with regard to the overall picture and either way I'm definitely not going to figure it out from here.

Israel has DIME munitions so even making a statement like that is drawing conclusions beyond what can be supported

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Current most likely guess is that it was an Israeli howitzer shell, not a bomb, and certainly not a misfiring rocket.

https://x.com/forensicarchi/status/1715422507283443898?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

For context, Forensic Architecture isn't just a random OSINT nobody outfit, but a serious, well-respected organisation that's part of the University of London.

Yes I saw this interpretation of the evidence in the Channel 4 video posted before. I interpreted another poster to be saying that an explosive under 250 pounds rules out an airstrike categorically, which is what I was commenting on. I think the assessment from Forensic Architecture makes a case for not an airstrike but not exclusively because of the weight of the munition used.

It's still a moot point. We will never know because Israel and the U.S. do not want us to and I think that tells us a lot!

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 20, 2023

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Carmant posted:

What a crock of poo poo.

It’s in the preamble of their proclamation. Right next to a rejection of any peace treaty, past or future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas_Charter

Edit: I had no idea they updated the language in 2017 from eradicate all Jews to just zionists. I guess that’s something.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

mannerup posted:

I don't see how that distinction makes them any different from ISIS, whose entire purpose of existing was to establish a state. I view political groups that organize and orchestrate atrocities against civilians, women and children as morally repugnant no matter how many nice things they did to gain support from the local population.
This would be more convincing if you didn't post nearly exclusively about Hamas while Israel bombed churches and struck hospitals btw

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

tiaz posted:

I'm not saying the IDF didn't do it but I'm quite confident it wasn't a 2000lb bomb, that would have done a lot more. this is a video of a test explosion that hopefully makes that clear. Note that the car right at the impact point got spread over a wide area, not set on fire. With respect, damaged shingles and windscreens are not usually 'severe damage', fragmentation can easily go that far; blast radius and kill radius are different things.
To be clear I'm also not trying to reopen discussion of which side was responsible. The doppler and fragmentation analysis was interesting and I await further input from experts - I don't have any reason to rule out an artillery shell. Regardless of that particular result, as discussed over the past several pages there are plenty of other actions Israel/the IDF are taking that are clearly wrong so it probably isn't helpful for us to get bogged down in divining who did this one specific thing before the experts can compile a full report.
Sorry for necroposting, I don't check in here that frequently, hopefully this was useful.

I don't know, that looks about right? The fireball goes out to 50 meters in the video, so one can assume the bulk of the destructive force is going to be in the center of that fireball. A bomb is going to have very different properties when it lands on packed ground and cobblestone, so there's just going to be less distortion on the ground. Everything within 30 meters of the crater is completely destroyed, everything in that picture that is not within 30 meters of the crater is at least damaged.

Windshields don't knock out easily or break easily. Cars, being made of metal, do not easily burn. It takes a lot of pressure and force to make a car's gas tank explode. It takes a lot of heat to make a car fully combust. I've seen a lot of news stories about rocket attacks over the years, I get that a rocket can gently caress a car up, but I've never seen a story where rockets do that much damage to that many cars at once. :shrug:

The artillery explanation makes a lot of sense and I think will ultimately be what proves to be correct. I just get the feeling some people are underestimating the destructive force involved. I get what people were expecting to see was a collapsed hospital, and what they saw was a destroyed parking lot, but if you look at the aftermath of the blast in a critical way it's clear that this was a massive explosion.

I want to talk about this but I don't know what to say. This is real hosed up? There's no way to interpret this situation that isn't incredibly sinister all around?

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 21, 2023

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 5, 2023

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

Israel deliberately poisons the water supply in Gaza so the issue of digging up pipes is kind of pointless anyway because what use are pipes if all they carry is contaminated water.

Do you have a source for this incredible quote that doesn't refer to events from 1948?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Absent US financial support to Israel Hamas would not exist as it currently does nor would it have won any elections. I'd rather nobody turn things into weapons but claiming they just shouldn't make weapons is a laughable position - they are kept in a prison. They are turning abandoned water pipes into rockets because of Israel's actions - actions Israel can take due to our continued support.

US financial support led to the creation of Hamas? Can you connect the dots here?

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think everyone is this thread would agree that the US shouldn't support Saudi Arabia.

Non-military support is good actually and in the long term it probably helps countries move towards more western and democratic values. At least as long as the support reaches the people that need it and doesn't get stolen by corrupt bureaucrats along the way.

Terebus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 21, 2023

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

mannerup posted:

Reason my responses has been disproportionately focused on Hamas is because it has been a controversial position in the thread argued ad nauseam over whether their actions are/were morally justified and whether specific atrocities actually occurred. If somebody comes in here attempting to morally justify the actions of Israel, I would challenge them on that.

Speaking of the atrocities committed by Hamas, Israel's National Center for Forensic Medicine has been working hard on identifying the victims. Multiple articles have come out in recent days, with one from "the media line" showing some pretty NSFW pictures. I won't post those pictures here, but some commentary on its content includes the following:
-Hands belonging to one of the victims killed by Hamas on October 7, 2023. The victim was bound at the wrists—as seen by marks that the bindings left behind—and then burned alive.
-Charred remains and a CT scan of the remains show a parent and child who were bound together and burned alive by Hamas terrorists on Oct. 7. Two spinal columns—one of an adult and one of a child—can be seen in the scan. The pair were likely embracing as they burned.
-“Many have gunshot wounds in their hands, showing they put their hands up to their faces in defense. Many were burned alive in their homes. … We know they were burned alive because there is soot in their trachea, their throats—meaning they were still breathing when set on fire.”

It's important to note that the Center is claiming that forensic pathologists, anthropologists, radiologists from Israel, America, Switzerland and New Zealand have come in to assist efforts. Can dig deeper to confirm this if necessary.

:nms: https://themedialine.org/top-stories/evidence-on-display-at-israels-forensic-pathology-center-confirms-hamas-atrocities/ contains the pictures. Obviously, NSFW.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/17/hundreds-of-israeli-bodies-remain-unidentified-10-days-after-hamas-attack
https://www.timesofisrael.com/foreign-media-given-unprecedented-access-to-forensic-institute-to-witness-atrocities/

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 21, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Terebus posted:

Do you have a source for this incredible quote that doesn't refer to events from 1948?

Couldn't find anything myself on Israel putting literal poison in the water supply for Gaza, but the water situation there has always been bad. Israel has intentionally allowed it to get terrible, it's one of the more quiet ways in which they are committing genocide on the Palestinians https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/12/gaza-undrinkable-water-slowly-poisoning-people this is something I wish more people in the west knew about Gaza, is the situation there has been extremely terrible for years now, and all of it is at the hands of Israel and all of it is intentional.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Terebus posted:

US financial support led to the creation of Hamas? Can you connect the dots here?

Non-military support is good actually and in the long term it probably helps countries move towards more western and democratic values. At least as long as the support reaches the people that need it and doesn't get stolen by corrupt bureaucrats along the way.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/gaza-israel-water-pollution-slow-poisoning-population

quote:

The long-term Israeli blockade has caused a "serious deterioration" of water quality in Gaza, making 97 percent of the water contaminated, according to the Geneva-based Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor.

The situation is compounded by an acute electricity crisis that stymies the operation of water wells and sewage treatment plants, leading to about 80 percent of Gaza’s untreated sewage to be discharged into the sea while 20 percent seeps into underground water, the NGO said.

It added that recent data shows about a quarter of the diseases spread in Gaza are caused by water pollution, and 12 percent of the deaths of young children and infants are linked to intestinal diseases related to contaminated water.

“A civilian population caged in a toxic slum from birth to death are forced to witness the slow poisoning of their children and loved ones by the water they drink and likely the soil in which they harvest, endlessly, with no change in sight,” Muhammed Shehada, the group’s chief of programmes and communications, said in an oral statement made at the 48th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) earlier this month.

As a result of the water pollution, farmers and landowners in most areas of the coastal enclave have to pay about two Israeli shekels (around $0.60) for each 1,000-litre-tank used for irrigation.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2515.html

quote:

The main source of Gaza's water, its aquifer, is being depleted and its quality diminished by seawater intrusion, wastewater seepage, and agricultural runoff.

Gaza's inconsistent energy supply greatly limits the operations of its water and wastewater treatment facilities.

Recurring wars between Israel and Hamas have damaged Gaza's water infrastructure.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/gaza-sewage-poisoning-strips-residents-threatening-israel/

quote:

But while Israel has a clear interest in Gazans repairing their water infrastructure, that would likely require it to ease restrictions on the import of building materials — which it fears the territory’s Hamas rulers could divert for military purposes — and increase the amount of electricity it sells to Gaza.

Poor sewage treatment in Gaza is the result of a rapidly expanding population, an infrastructure damaged during wars with Israel and a chronic shortage of electricity to run the wastewater plants that still function. In 2007, a sewage reservoir overflowed in a village in northern Gaza, drowning five people.

An Israeli blockade that has restricted imports, coupled with Palestinian infighting and mismanagement by the Hamas-run government, has compounded the problems for the enclave’s 1.8 million residents. Israel and Egypt have maintained a blockade of Gaza since Hamas, an Islamic militant group committed to Israel’s destruction, seized power in 2007.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/12/gaza-undrinkable-water-slowly-poisoning-people

quote:

At the 48th session of the UN Human Rights Council last Monday, the Global Institute for Water, Environment and Health and the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor said water in Gaza is “undrinkable” and “slowly poisoning” people.

“The long-term Israeli blockade has caused a serious deterioration of water security in Gaza, making 97% of the water contaminated,” a joint statement said. “The residents of the besieged enclave are forced to witness the slow poisoning of their children and loved ones.”

And I could keep going. Israel isn't sneaking in the shadows with a balaclava and dumping a bucket of cyanide into a well or whatever, but they ARE deliberately preventing any kind of infrastructure development that would give Gazans non-sewage water to drink. That is a deliberate and calculated policy in line with the rest of what they do to Gaza. If you make 2 million people drink contaminated sewer water because you forbid any kind of development which would mitigate or help the problem, you have in fact willfully poisoned those people through your policy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Terebus posted:

Israel could not carry out any of its operations against or relating to the Palestinians without US financial support so anything Israel does in regards to Palestine can ultimately be traced back to our support. Israel supported Hamas at its inception to weaken the secular Fatah and by Netanyahu's own admittance it was used because by his own words they could control the "height of the flames". We also backed the attempted coup by Fatah against Hamas (as did Israel and Egypt) which led to Hamas entrenching itself in Gaza and it being split from the Fatah governed West Bank.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

This is in the West Bank rather than Gaza, but Israel absolutely has a strategy of depriving Palestinians of water:

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1684775691018240001

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Personally I feel that there is a distinction between "Israel prevents Gaza from having fresh water" and "Israel deliberately poisons Gaza drinking water" that isn't just pedantic. The latter extremely strongly implies somewhere between "has industrial contaminants they deliberately dump" and "deliberately acquires poison for the purpose" which is very very different from being huge shitheads on the logistics and infrastructure level.

that said, I like source posting a lot so this worked out, thanks

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Zionists are for all intents and purposes Nazis and the Hamas charter states that Zionists should be eradicated. I am not defending Hamas's tactics or their potentially loose definition of Zionist (it should not and can not include children) but their cause, as stated, is one of self defense, not aggression.

As for the difference between poisoning a water supply and purposefully preventing water from being decontaminated, the end result it what matters, not the logistics.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 21, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Personally I feel that there is a distinction between "Israel prevents Gaza from having fresh water" and "Israel deliberately poisons Gaza drinking water" that isn't just pedantic. The latter extremely strongly implies somewhere between "has industrial contaminants they deliberately dump" and "deliberately acquires poison for the purpose" which is very very different from being huge shitheads on the logistics and infrastructure level.

that said, I like source posting a lot so this worked out, thanks

I feel like there isn't much, if any, room between those because in both situations the harm comes from a deliberate policy choice. If you enact a policy to do this and go through all the work of implementing it and enforcing it, I don't understand how that's meaningfully any different from the video of Israeli soldiers dumping cement into a fresh water source. Both on the macro and the micro level, the problem comes from the desire to remove Gazans at scale. The only semantical difference I can see is that the soldiers dumping in cement only harm the people in the immediate area who depend on that water, while governmental policy enforcing a blockade resulting in sewage water impacts the entire Gaza Strip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Thanks for posting these. It certainly seems to reinforce what many of us already suspected/believed about the Israeli version of events, and of their evidence.