Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I assume you nailed her door shut and burned the dorm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/937730250062082048

Can we burn netflix to the ground yet?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just burn Masterson and the asshat execs covering for him to the ground imo, I appreciate Netflix giving Deborah Ann Woll work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

zoux posted:

I see the fourth and final season on Turn just went up on Netflix, is the show any good?

Yes. It's a competently made Revolutionary War drama. Don't expect any mystery, intrigue, or action; and they take liberties with historical characters.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh neat, wasn't expecting the Scientology twist at the end there. It's just dirtbags all the way down in that article. That woman showed remarkable restraint not kicking some dick.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

Oh neat, wasn't expecting the Scientology twist at the end there. It's just dirtbags all the way down in that article. That woman showed remarkable restraint not kicking some dick.

You can read super gross poo poo about Danny Masterson and scientology covering up for his sexual assaults on CDAN. The stories go back years. At this point if you're a member of the church and he decides he wants your wife/daughter you have literally zero recourse and will be kicked out of the church (losing your entire social circle and gaining an army of harassers) if you make a peep about it. Sounds terrifying, but he's got that 70's show syndication money so he's royalty.

CDAN is all hollywood gossip poo poo, or it was, until all those Wienstein rumours got very real very quick.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else watching No Activity? I just watched the first ep and it's extremely my poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone else watching No Activity? I just watched the first ep and it's extremely my poo poo.

Yeah, it's great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hell yeah, it's so drat good.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are you guys talking about the Australian one or the US one?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I hate that there is a show with Tim Meadows, one of my all-time favorite SNL cast members, and Sunita Mani, one of my biggest current crushes, and it's paywalled alongside half a season of a sci-fi franchise I'm tepid on and a bunch of Big Bang Theory episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bring back old gbs posted:

Are you guys talking about the Australian one or the US one?

Haven't seen the Aus version yet but the US one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

I hate that there is a show with Tim Meadows, one of my all-time favorite SNL cast members, and Sunita Mani, one of my biggest current crushes, and it's paywalled alongside half a season of a sci-fi franchise I'm tepid on and a bunch of Big Bang Theory episodes.

Tim Meadows was a lot of fun on the short lived Son of Zorn.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

He also plays the traditional Tim Meadows role in Goldbergs

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

I wanted to love Son of Zorn but I just could not deal with yet another High Status Idiot show...moreover, one where the High Status Idiot was utterly without charm.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/937731245810835456
https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/937798077754302469

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Is Parks & Rec the show that aged the worst in the shortest amount of time with all the Hillary Clinton idolatry and the having a functional government in 2017

Also Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza sure get annoying and twee in a big loving hurry

Parks and rec’s worst sin was portraying gop monsters like Gingrich and McCain as “just regular guys but with different ideas about politics”

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
By the end of the week the only difference is going be that the articles will call him "Former Netflix Executive Andy Yeatman."

theflyingexecutive posted:

Parks and rec’s worst sin was portraying gop monsters like Gingrich and McCain as “just regular guys but with different ideas about politics”

https://twitter.com/wigu/status/201412513856892929

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bring back old gbs posted:

You can read super gross poo poo about Danny Masterson and scientology covering up for his sexual assaults on CDAN. The stories go back years. At this point if you're a member of the church and he decides he wants your wife/daughter you have literally zero recourse and will be kicked out of the church (losing your entire social circle and gaining an army of harassers) if you make a peep about it. Sounds terrifying, but he's got that 70's show syndication money so he's royalty.

CDAN is all hollywood gossip poo poo, or it was, until all those Wienstein rumours got very real very quick.

Wasn't his brother the older brother in Malcolm in the Middle? Is he equally as much of a piece of poo poo?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

His sister is on TWD or was. They're all Scientologists afaik.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

His sister is on TWD or was. They're all Scientologists afaik.

Nuke them all from orbit, only way to be sure.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Parks and Rec is basically the blueprint of modern neoliberalism. I still love PnR, but it is in spite of its super naive and disingenuous politics, not because of them.

Or you can just watch the show and pretend it's set in a version of America where one party of our two party system isn't actively trying to kill us all the time and the other party isn't full of centrist cowards.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

God drat, I read this before they updated with the suit’s wife reaching out to yell at the victim. gently caress that poo poo.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
hey does anyone watching The Orville know if it's worth watching if you're not a Trek superfan? I've heard that it's way more earnest and less cynical than "Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parody" would imply

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's not a cynical bone in the whole make-up of The Orville.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Do people here like "The Good Doctor?" There's no thread but it seems people like it. It's made by the House guy and it's pretty good when not engaging in ham-fisted social commentary.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

furiouskoala posted:

Do people here like "The Good Doctor?"

That show’s crowd doesn’t really exist here, sorry!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

furiouskoala posted:

Do people here like "The Good Doctor?" There's no thread but it seems people like it. It's made by the House guy and it's pretty good when not engaging in ham-fisted social commentary.

I haven't watched it, but I feel pretty confident in saying the goon zeitgeist is strongly against it. That doesn't mean it's bad or you should feel bad for liking it. I haven't seen it at all and only seen like, one ad for it. But that's my 2 cents.

Unrelated, 11/22/63 seems really good. I finally got around to watching it. I never read the book, I have 2 episodes left, and I'm on the edge of my seat.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

raditts posted:

Wasn't his brother the older brother in Malcolm in the Middle? Is he equally as much of a piece of poo poo?

Don't forget Laura Prepon, she's heavily involved with the whole thing. Apparently she was the executor of a trust they set up to hide his money when the allegations first came up. There are also all kinds of rumors about her relationship with the younger brother back when he was underage.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I always forget Hot Donna is a Scientologist. Then I get sad when someone reminds me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If gently caress Scientology has taught me anything it's that we shouldn't get mad at Scientologists for doing lovely things in the name of Scientology. In their own way they're also victims

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

I haven't watched it, but I feel pretty confident in saying the goon zeitgeist is strongly against it. That doesn't mean it's bad or you should feel bad for liking it.

I’ll throw in one modest qualifier. As someone who is himself autistic, my big qualm with the show is that it revolves around a very basic characterization of autism (albeit a very good portrayal of it; Freddie Highmore is a fantastic actor), and thus feeds a few negative stereotypes about people with the disorder. Having seen all of four episodes, I wish he had just a little more agency (not that he has none; the second episode was actually pretty cool in that regard). Going forward, meeting some other people on the mild end of the spectrum to show how big a tent it is wouldn’t hurt either.

That’s all politics, though. Autistic people have been kind of ignored and belittled for quite a while—if you want an idea of how big a chip some of us have on our shoulders, our own biggest advocacy group, Autism Speaks, was founded by an anti-vaxxer who technically kinda sorta advocated for our genocide in her quixotic quest for a cure. So now that there’s a sudden burst of interest in the disorder, we’re really hoping that somebody can get it right, and in that respect, The Good Doctor is a bit of a letdown.

But again, if you’re enjoying it, don’t let me poo poo on that; just keep in mind that Shaun Murphy’s autism isn’t the only kind of autism out in the world.

(For what it’s worth, I loved The Accountant, though others like me didn’t. And while nobody in the movie says “autism” out loud, I think Denzel Washington did a hell of a job as someone who could identify as autistic in Roman J. Israel, Esq.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 5, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rarity posted:

If gently caress Scientology has taught me anything it's that we shouldn't get mad at Scientologists for doing lovely things in the name of Scientology. In their own way they're also victims
Joining a cult when you're vulnerable and hopeless is one thing.

Doing it when you're rich and famous, especially when the cult is known for destroying the levels of anyone who dares challenge it, is basically joining a plutocratic dictatorship.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 5, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

Yeah, true. Especially people like Prepon and the Mastersons-- I think they were all in it from childhood.

gently caress Danny Masterson and all the people covering for him, though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Yeah, true. Especially people like Prepon and the Mastersons-- I think they were all in it from childhood.

gently caress Danny Masterson and all the people covering for him, though.

Masterson Jedi mind tricked Prepon in the 90's

She went nuttier than squirrel poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Masterson Jedi mind tricked Prepon in the 90's

She went nuttier than squirrel poo poo.

gently caress Danny Masterson tenfold!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
danny masterson is basically johnny truelove

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Burn Danny Masterson with dry ice.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseRenoir posted:

hey does anyone watching The Orville know if it's worth watching if you're not a Trek superfan? I've heard that it's way more earnest and less cynical than "Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parody" would imply

It’s a good sci-fi spaceship show in its own right. It obviously owes... everything to Trek, but even if you’re only a casual Trek fan you should still be able to watch and enjoy it.

That said, if you dislike Trek, you probably won’t like The Orville. It doesn’t deviate from the formula much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Joining a cult when you're vulnerable and hopeless is one thing.

Doing it when you're rich and famous, especially when the cult is known for destroying the levels of anyone who dares challenge it, is basically joining a plutocratic dictatorship.

Blaming people for falling for a cult is like blaming people for becoming gambling addicts, it's not really their fault that their brains work in a way that can be taken advantage of like that.

• Locked thread