Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I still haven't played Stellaris, despite being quite excited about it when it was announced. I'm going to get it soon, and my question is, should I buy all three expansions from the get go, or would it be too dense for a beginner to the game?

I wouldn't say I was a Paradox veteran, but I have played quite a bit of CKII and a bit of EUIII. On the 4X front I've played tons of Civ.

Also, I don't know where else to ask this, but is there/was there ever a thread on here for Planet Coaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I bought all the base game plus all the gameplay-affecting DLC except Synthetic Dawn a couple of weeks ago and it's been fine. Unlike you I'd never played EU or CK before, just lots of Civ and Alpha Centauri and MoO2 back in the day

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I still haven't played Stellaris, despite being quite excited about it when it was announced. I'm going to get it soon, and my question is, should I buy all three expansions from the get go, or would it be too dense for a beginner to the game?

I wouldn't say I was a Paradox veteran, but I have played quite a bit of CKII and a bit of EUIII. On the 4X front I've played tons of Civ.

Also, I don't know where else to ask this, but is there/was there ever a thread on here for Planet Coaster?

It won't be too dense to get them all at once. If you'd prefer not to get them all at once or just want to start small I'd say Utopia is pretty essential to getting the best experience.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Quorum posted:

I've played several games since it came out and I have literally never had it fire. I'm starting to get a little discouraged.

just fire it off with the console when you feel like doing it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like when a crisis triggers, and the entire universe is imperiled, the trading enclaves should probably offer a better exchange rate. Also, it should probably count as a defensive war with regards to pulling resources out of sectors. :shobon:

Just like how stores offer cheaper products when a hurricane is barreling down on a coastline!

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Did 1.8 turn the leviathan spawns way down? I feel like I never see the things any more which is kind of a shame. They're maybe my favorite part of the game.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
It seems to be about the same to me, but I've been in the 1.8.1 beta since it dropped. Don't know if that matters?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

imweasel09 posted:

Did 1.8 turn the leviathan spawns way down? I feel like I never see the things any more which is kind of a shame. They're maybe my favorite part of the game.

Kinetica posted:

It seems to be about the same to me, but I've been in the 1.8.1 beta since it dropped. Don't know if that matters?

My 1.8.1 mp game has 3 of the bastards, so confirming that it's fine on there at least

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How do I make my fucker 4 system federation members vote yes to spread freedom and democracy via kinetic bombardment? There seem to be scenarios in which I can literally give them all the wargoals and they still vote no. Pushing the suggest wargoals thing also doesn't work.

The target of my ire is a shitlord slaver empire that took like 4 systems from one of the members before they joined up.

There really should be a way to bribe or extort the lesser members so they go along in my coalition of the willing.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

How do I make my fucker 4 system federation members vote yes to spread freedom and democracy via kinetic bombardment? There seem to be scenarios in which I can literally give them all the wargoals and they still vote no. Pushing the suggest wargoals thing also doesn't work.

The target of my ire is a shitlord slaver empire that took like 4 systems from one of the members before they joined up.

There really should be a way to bribe or extort the lesser members so they go along in my coalition of the willing.
Try liberation wargoals instead of cede, that occasionally works for me. I once conquered an empire that my federation wouldn't let me vassal by liberating the entire thing at once and then declaring war on the new empire to vassalize it.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
If I win the game I can continue playing, right? I don't want to have to stop before a crisis happens.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
On the above, the distance modifier for accepting a new member should be from the border of the nearest Federation member rather than the one considering its vote. It's really frustrating when your Federation won't accept a new member with the same ethos as all other members just because it's on the other side of the player.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks for the responses. How does the game stack up in the genre now, after a year of patches and three expansions?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

imweasel09 posted:

Try liberation wargoals instead of cede, that occasionally works for me. I once conquered an empire that my federation wouldn't let me vassal by liberating the entire thing at once and then declaring war on the new empire to vassalize it.

I tried cede/liberation for all of them, assigned to other members, and it made no difference.

Aethernet posted:

On the above, the distance modifier for accepting a new member should be from the border of the nearest Federation member rather than the one considering its vote. It's really frustrating when your Federation won't accept a new member with the same ethos as all other members just because it's on the other side of the player.

Also this

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Thanks for the responses. How does the game stack up in the genre now, after a year of patches and three expansions?

I haven't played this game at all since 1.3 (Heinlein) due to hating the war score mechanics and getting burned out what ultimately felt like a tedious chore of never-ending war to get a tiny bit of territory.

Is war more interesting now? Or is it still going to the other side of the galaxy to capture a bunch of pointless lovely planets to boost warscore and fighting the same weakling empire that has 1/10th of your power over and over because you can only seem to get a handful of systems regardless of how crushing your victory was.

I keep wanting to come back to the game but the thought of what the end game at least used to be like always make me dismiss the idea.

So I guess I'm asking if the end game combat is less tedious? Is the game worth it now?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mechanical Ape posted:

If I win the game I can continue playing, right? I don't want to have to stop before a crisis happens.

Yep. The game ending screen is just a suggestion, you're free to keep going.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's achievements that are fairly hard if not impossible to catch before you get to the win screen, even. Suffer not the alien comes to mind.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I came back for the first time since 1.6 this weekend and had a couple of questions. I rolled up a few robot empires and settled on a race of robot servitors for those production bonuses. I spawned this game with two pre-sentients within single warp range of my homeworld but I'm pretty well into the midgame and have yet to see Epigenetic Triggers in my tech queue. Is it just disabled for machine empires? What happens if I liberate an organic planet? Do their toasters become the ruling class? Is it worth it to just let my bio-trophies have free migration, or should I make them some kind of paradise planet so I can keep them out of more useful areas? Do they still respect habitability when migrating? I notice that they're still super happy even on unfavorable worlds that I've resettled them to.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FileNotFound posted:

I haven't played this game at all since 1.3 (Heinlein) due to hating the war score mechanics and getting burned out what ultimately felt like a tedious chore of never-ending war to get a tiny bit of territory.

Is war more interesting now? Or is it still going to the other side of the galaxy to capture a bunch of pointless lovely planets to boost warscore and fighting the same weakling empire that has 1/10th of your power over and over because you can only seem to get a handful of systems regardless of how crushing your victory was.

I keep wanting to come back to the game but the thought of what the end game at least used to be like always make me dismiss the idea.

So I guess I'm asking if the end game combat is less tedious? Is the game worth it now?

It would really be quite nice if war score scaled with the relative power of the involved empires to the point where an empire with overwhelming strength could just straight up annex their opponents like FEs can.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

FileNotFound posted:

The underlying mechanics of war are still the same. War still involves a ton of micro, especially when it comes to moving troops around and invading planets. This is tolerable through the early- and mid-game periods, but yeah, end game combat is still very tedious. The best plan is still to put all of your ships in one huge fleet, force a decisive battle to destroy the enemy's fleet, and then spend a few years slowly planet-hopping to rack up warscore.

But, warscore costs are much more reasonable now. There are a number of techs/traditions that reduce the warscore cost required to make your enemy cede a planet to you. The end result is that it's much easier to capture large chunks of territory in war, as opposed to the maximum 3-4 you could pull off before. This reduces the number of foregone-conclusion incremental wars against weakling opponents. I see the warscore stuff as a decent stopgap: war itself is still pretty tedious against large opponents, but because warscore costs are not ridiculous anymore, you don't have to fight the same war again and again and again.

Overall I would say the game is worth it now. A lot of non-war content has been added since 1.3. Different empires and playstyles play very differently now, meaning that replay value has improved by a lot. War is still the weakest part of Stellaris, but there is a good amount of other stuff to do now. Also, there are rumors that the next expansion is going to overhaul or at least improve the war system, so there's reason to be optimistic that one of the last few truly weak aspects of the game will get better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Muffinlord posted:

So I came back for the first time since 1.6 this weekend and had a couple of questions. I rolled up a few robot empires and settled on a race of robot servitors for those production bonuses. I spawned this game with two pre-sentients within single warp range of my homeworld but I'm pretty well into the midgame and have yet to see Epigenetic Triggers in my tech queue. Is it just disabled for machine empires? What happens if I liberate an organic planet? Do their toasters become the ruling class? Is it worth it to just let my bio-trophies have free migration, or should I make them some kind of paradise planet so I can keep them out of more useful areas? Do they still respect habitability when migrating? I notice that they're still super happy even on unfavorable worlds that I've resettled them to.

I'm pretty sure that the bio-trophies can't move anywhere on their own. Early game I didn't really care much where they were as long as they weren't squatting on tiles I needed, but late game I started rounding them into planets of their own so I could build machine worlds everywhere. I don't think I ever figured out a way to uplift in that game, so maybe they can't do it? And yeah, they basically live in bio-domes so they dgaf about what the weather is like outside.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
This easiest course of action for planet invasions is one big fleet that is perfectly split into quarters, then have 4 12 unit transport fleets waiting nearby. After you crush the main enemy fleet, split it and assign each transport fleet to follow one, and send the battlefleets to orbit enemy planets. Just cycle through them as they conquer planets, embarking and following again, and you'll end even 100 warscore wars for 10+ planets pretty fast. You want each split fleet to still be like 30k+ though, or you can risk weird things happening with allied fleets and/or stations. Between 2350-2400 you should be getting over 100k fleet power pretty easy though.

It's more tedium than it really should be but it' s perfectly workable until we get the war update.

Armies won't embark and disembark in stacks larger than 12 but 12 strong armies beat pretty much anything with zero fortification.

If you can turn up bombardment to full, do it, I tend to purge everyone anyway so it's nice and easy.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 10, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I wish that when you embarked ground troops, the game would automatically select the transport fleet that they become. It would only save a click or two, but it's a pet peeve of mine that I've been annoyed by since the game came out. I can't think of many situations where you would want to embark troops and then not immediately select the fleet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Muffinlord posted:

Robots cannot currently uplift pre sentients, which is disappointing for Rogue Servitors and Driven Assimilators

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

I wish that when you embarked ground troops, the game would automatically select the transport fleet that they become. It would only save a click or two, but it's a pet peeve of mine that I've been annoyed by since the game came out. I can't think of many situations where you would want to embark troops and then not immediately select the fleet.

Yeah everything about ground troops seemed designed to involve as many clicks as possible.

I wish I could set transports to aggressive and they'd auto-invade any 0-defense planet. Order them to follow your fleet and they'd just auto-invade and jump back into space every time your fleet successfully bombards a planet down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mazz posted:

Armies won't embark and disembark in stacks larger than 12 but 12 strong armies beat pretty much anything with zero fortification.

12 stacks of armies won't be defeated by defenders very quickly even at full fortification either, or even seriously damaged in the time it takes to land followup waves, meaning you can definitely save time by just flying around with 48 stacks of armies and invading non-bombarded planets.

It's especially funny for Psionic armies too, since they crack enemy morale so fast. You can drop 12 of them on just about any world regardless of defense levels and they'll always win, it's just a matter of how long.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 10, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always think/hope that the reason ground troops and combat have seen zero quality of life love since release is that they plan on a major overhaul so any work on improving the interface now would be wasted. That's what I keep telling myself anyways...

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

I always think/hope that the reason ground troops and combat have seen zero quality of life love since release is that they plan on a major overhaul so any work on improving the interface now would be wasted. That's what I keep telling myself anyways...

:pray:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Since I was complaining about how slow assimilation was, here's a little mod that fires the event monthly in addition to the yearly event: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1164740948.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

12 stacks of armies won't be defeated by defenders very quickly even at full fortification either, or even seriously damaged in the time it takes to land followup waves, meaning you can definitely save time by just flying around with 48 stacks of armies and invading non-bombarded planets.

It's especially funny for Psionic armies too, since they crack enemy morale so fast. You can drop 12 of them on just about any world regardless of defense levels and they'll always win, it's just a matter of how long.

Battle Frames (the AI battlemechs) and robotic Titans work like that, too. I've invaded planets with them where they switched the enemy morale to "broken" so fast I sometimes thought the defender came pre-broken -until I watched a landing closely and saw their morale switching in person. They first trample morale, and then the filthy organics themselves.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

wiegieman posted:

Since I was complaining about how slow assimilation was, here's a little mod that fires the event monthly in addition to the yearly event: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1164740948.

Why not just mod it to be instant at that point? :psyduck:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

LordMune posted:

Why not just mod it to be instant at that point? :psyduck:

Because this was the most low effort solution.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Because this was the most low effort solution.

But monthly? I'm already disgusted with how fast my cyborgs are flooding my shiny robot-planets and I haven't yet actually assimilated new ones, if I'd get additional cyborgs added to my naturally growing ones that fast, I'd be starting to do purges of my own population. :psyduck:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm playing as a paradisal, chemically-blissed out unity-farming idyll in a galaxy otherwise dominated by hive minds, hell wars, and hegemonic douchebags. The robo-servitors on the other side of the galaxy just got wiped out, and lo and behold several bio-trophy pops have taken refuge on my worlds. I like to imagine how that went down.

"And by the waters of Bion IV we sat down and wept, when we remembered the burning of Gorgalarp II, and prepared to use our atrophied muscles to labor in the field, and... holy poo poo are these waters rivers of champagne? Are those clouds made of cotton candy?"
"WELCOME TO PARTY PLANET PLEASE UNDRESS AND PREPARE ALL ORIFICES AND EROGENOUS ZONES FOR DEEP TISSUE STIMULATION"
":haw:"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Libluini posted:

Battle Frames (the AI battlemechs) and robotic Titans work like that, too. I've invaded planets with them where they switched the enemy morale to "broken" so fast I sometimes thought the defender came pre-broken -until I watched a landing closely and saw their morale switching in person. They first trample morale, and then the filthy organics themselves.

If a giant robot came down from space and started stomping on everything I'd have pretty low morale too

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

But monthly? I'm already disgusted with how fast my cyborgs are flooding my shiny robot-planets and I haven't yet actually assimilated new ones, if I'd get additional cyborgs added to my naturally growing ones that fast, I'd be starting to do purges of my own population. :psyduck:

Well, I wanted it to be faster.

The wretched xenos shall Rejoice, for they have been made Clean and Compleated in the fires of our Industry.

e: Realistically, it still takes about a year to assimilate a large planet's worth of organics. I really don't see what the problem is.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 10, 2017

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I built two ringworlds and terraformed 2 Gaia planets just as a place to store my Bio-Trophies.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Wait what, isn't full fortification a 99% damage reduction? Do I reappy not have to sit around forever bombing things to 0 if I build 50 armiers?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

imweasel09 posted:

Wait what, isn't full fortification a 99% damage reduction? Do I reappy not have to sit around forever bombing things to 0 if I build 50 armiers?

I just love that people rather build like 80 armies than deal with ground combat micro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bold Robot posted:

The best plan is still to put all of your ships in one huge fleet, force a decisive battle to destroy the enemy's fleet, and then spend a few years slowly planet-hopping to rack up warscore.

I hope when we get a war update it does something like put a fleet cap limit on admirals with greatly increased penalties to fire/move for being over it. Make that limit per system as well, so if you have two or three admirals and fleets in a single system they're all controlled by the highest ranking general. Like how EUIV or whatever stacks work per province, I think.

That way you'd have to keep your deathball split up. I hate deathballs, but it's really the only way to play things.

• Locked thread