Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ive been watching season 2 with my friend for her first time, and she pointed out something I never noticed.
When Cooper was describing the woman he loved and how she was murdered, then the reveal that this woman was Windoms wife.
She mentioned that getting involved with a married woman was so unlike coop, I mentioned that maybe he's repenting and trying to fix his guilt.

It makes quite a bit of sense with evil Cooper in season 3 being a pretty big womanizer. I definitely buy into both of those Cooper's being 2 sides of the same man, and the Cooper in the alt timeline being the two of them fused in one.

It definitely fits that overall feel with coops character trying to be a pure force to make up for a dark past. Similar themes with Laura of course too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Tangential question, had you seen the first two seasons or, more importantly, Fire Walk With Me? Cause the changing-the-past bit is 2017 Coop literally inserted directly into the old scenes.

Never seen Fire Walk With Me, no. I also didn't recognise any scenes from season one or two during my first watch, so a second probably is in order.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

I don't want to hear any readings about Twin Peaks being a TV show and therefore a "dream" because that is loving lame

I don't think it's supposed to be something dumb like "get it? it's fictional!" but the whole show is definitely about dreams and media.

I read an article about different manifestations of schizophrenia through time, and how in the modern age a schizophrenic often feels manipulated by a hidden machine somewhere that's connected to them and projects images or sends them messages and stuff, which reminded me a lot of the Jeffries kettle. The whole show is about media and fantasy, which is why the ultimate bad guy is a screen of TV static.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you read into how Lynch approaches life, art and spirituality in general then Twin Peaks becomes much more clear.

tl;dr Accept what you get out of it. Don’t overthink it. Have fun exploring everything about the series. Don’t make absolutes out of the abstract. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
We rag a lot on Season 2, and rightly on what a missed opportunity Earle was, but he did have a great exchange with Brigs that, I think, might perfectly explain the ending.
Earle: Garland, what do you fear most in the world?
Briggs: The possibility that love is not enough.

That, I think, is the horror and dread and explanation of the ending. Cooper fails because, ultimately, love is not enough. It's dark and bleak, but it seems like the most reasonable explanation of the end. Cooper is this superhumanly loving and lovable character, but even he cannot save Laura. At the very least, the obvious reading is that nothing, no amount of love, can undo what was done to Laura. We cannot erase her pain; what happened, happened. The more grim reading is to go even further and simply accept that in the end, evil wins. Love is not enough, and ultimately Mother comes out ahead.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you read into how Lynch approaches life, art and spirituality in general then Twin Peaks becomes much more clear.

tl;dr Accept what you get out of it. Don’t overthink it. Have fun exploring everything about the series. Don’t make absolutes out of the abstract. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

This. Imo Mulholland drive is his only dream-logic work where there is an actual singular correct interpretation. Everything else operates more on themes than narratives

TP has themes of domestic abuse and bystander enablers, guilt and redemption, lost innocence, etc, but it does not have a single concrete master narrative for you to build out of all of those. It evokes feelings in the viewer and it's left to the viewer to make meaning out of it.

The narrative of twin peaks is a veneer over its meaning, obscuring it much as the residents of twin peaks use their narrative of a small and honest mountain town to obscure the many shames and abuses they're all complicit in.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

Never seen Fire Walk With Me, no. I also didn't recognise any scenes from season one or two during my first watch, so a second probably is in order.

Watching the season a second time, with the general understanding of the "shape" of the plot and where things were going, definitely made it a lot more understandable for me.

FWWM is definitely required to really get what's going on, it's a crucial thematic bridge between S1/S2 and S3. Optionally, you may also want to watch Mulholland Dr. for the thematic connections and to get a better understanding of what Lynch is going for/concerned with.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Pinterest Mom posted:

FWWM is definitely required to really get what's going on, it's a crucial thematic bridge between S1/S2 and S3. Optionally, you may also want to watch Mulholland Dr. for the thematic connections and to get a better understanding of what Lynch is going for/concerned with.

If I'm buying a season box set at some point I can probably pick up a movie or two as well. I've always heard that Lynch was pretty difficult to understand, which is why Twin Peaks is the only thing of his I watched. Am I going to need to watch/learn anything before Mulholland Dr to really get it?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Season 3 feels heavily influenced by almost everything else Lynch has made, it's a pretty complete cap to his career. Seeing more of his films will almost certainly help you appreciate this season more even if you still don't love it.

As far as his stuff being hard to understand, The Straight Story and Blue Velvet are probably the most straightforward and they're both great.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

Am I going to need to watch/learn anything before Mulholland Dr to really get it?

There's no homework before watching Mulholland Dr and also no you won't really get it, just let it happen to you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's no homework before watching Mulholland Dr and also no you won't really get it, just let it happen to you.

Thats my approach to David Lynch: just let it in. You can try to make sense of it later, if you want. You will think about it for some time, if it had any effect on you.

But dont go after theories before watching and dont be trying to understand everything while you watch: just live it, feel it

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Exactly. I never come to conclusions about David Lynch stuff, I just have ideas.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

We already know that a horrid man manufactured out of some gold is almost entirely useless and bad for everyone around it so let’s not let those FUCKS get to us

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

More season 2 things that just made kinda go "oh, huh" in relation to season 3.
Norma is talking about buying Ed a Christmas gift, but going to his door and being unable to go in, like something was blocking her. She was dwelling on the threshold.
Josie gets turned into a door knob. Jefferies gets turned into a boiler that later appears in the Great Northern basement. It didn't click before that those 2 might be connected.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Just finished a S1/2 rewatch. Nadine, during the Mike affair, tells Ed "Let's call a Spade a Spade". In S3 she shows up with the Golden Shovel.

Also, this one is pretty out there, it comes from "Slice of Lynch" extra feature (I think). DL is recalling the writing process with Mark Frost, and how they did a lot over the phone but sometimes he would go to Mark's house and sit in a big leather chair that he describes as 'big and slippery' or something like that. It reminded me of the Jeffries teapot scene, "it's slippery in here", like Coop as a character had to go on this pilgrimage to get an audience with a creator of the show to figure out how to go back to a certain point in the narrative. I know that's a big stretch but it's interesting to think about Jeffries as someone who knows too much for his own good!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

:siren: https://pitchfork.com/news/david-lynch-and-angelo-badalamentis-lost-90s-album-is-getting-released/ :siren:

quote:

From 1992 to 1993, David Lynch and “Twin Peaks” composer Angelo Badalamenti worked on a jazz project together called Thought Gang. Though two tracks appeared on the soundtrack for Lynch’s 1992 film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, their collaborative album was never released. Now, Lynch and Badalamenti are sharing the eponymous Thought Gang LP via Sacred Bones. It’s out November 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsjLj-udZDk

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imho Muholkand drives plot is vey similar to season 3

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

If I'm buying a season box set at some point I can probably pick up a movie or two as well. I've always heard that Lynch was pretty difficult to understand, which is why Twin Peaks is the only thing of his I watched. Am I going to need to watch/learn anything before Mulholland Dr to really get it?

Lynch is only difficult to understand the first time you watch him. The more of his films you watch, the more they click together. They all seem to connect and converse and work together.

And even then, there is nothing confusing about Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man or The Straight Story. They are lucid and direct.

The "confusing" Lynch movies are Mulholland Drive, INLAND EMPIRE, Lost Highway, and I guess Eraserhead, but I don't think it takes much to "get" Eraserhead on a first viewing, it just rewards multiple watches like the others.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

OscarDiggs posted:

You should definitely watch Fire Walk With Me, my dude. Not only is it pretty crucial to linking the first two seasons to the third (they are worlds apart), it's an absolutely fantastic if emotionally devastating film.

If you get the blu ray box set, you get the first two seasons, FWWM and 'The Missing Pieces', which is a feature-length collection of deleted scenes from FWWM that add even more depth and backstory. It's also a beautifully presented box set with a neat and slightly creepy hidden compartment

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's also a beautifully presented box set with a neat and slightly creepy hidden compartment

I think that one is still out of print. The pro move now is to buy the region-free version for <$30. But it comes in cheap packaging.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where was the hidden compartment and what was in it?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Where was the hidden compartment and what was in it?

I believe it was in the bottom of the main case, and it was the scrap of notebook paper (from Laura's diary?) that said "FIRE WALK WITH ME" in blood

edit: The scrap of paper is found in the Pilot, inside the train-car where Laura was murdered. It's interesting that a phrase so critical to the show's eventual imagery in the aptly named film and The Return was already right there in the Pilot from the very very start. Kinda like how BOB was always caught in that mirror, grinning, from the very start. The chaotic and disruptive element.

I wish I could piece together how and why MIKE/The Arm fit into the ultimate structure of things, or if they really are just... the sort of oddly clunky narrative device that they appear to be?

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 19, 2018

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
For those who are curious:

I didn't know about this when I first bought it. When I found it later I thought it was the neatest little touch. Honestly the whole blu ray collection looks really nice.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

wow they were actually serious about the video game

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

For some reason it just popped into my head again that we only got ONE scene of Leland Palmer is season 3 and that is unforgivable

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Alan_Shore posted:

For some reason it just popped into my head again that we only got ONE scene of Leland Palmer is season 3 and that is unforgivable
Agreed. That also reminds me of Ray Wise saying that once he heard about Season 3, he asked David for a role to which Lynch replied "Well Ray, you're dead....but I'll see what I can do."

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That's a pretty weak excuse considering what show we're talking about.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A fun GQ video where Kyle MacLachlan talks about his various film roles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2ThAzZEhg

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Alan_Shore posted:

What else would you have him do?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

What else would you have him do?

He's Leland Palmer, trapped in the Red Room. He can do anything!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Leland should have danced

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Leland should have danced

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Jimbot posted:

A fun GQ video where Kyle MacLachlan talks about his various film roles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2ThAzZEhg

I love that scene with Cooper and Bobby. You can imagine the take with Cooper yelling back at him and see how that'd be the way a hundred other interrogation scenes would have done it, but the cool bemused response really is just perfect.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I thought Leland's single line of "Find Laura" was actually pretty powerful.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I thought Leland's single line of "Find Laura" was actually pretty powerful.

Even more powerful afterward, when you realize he’s the Leland from the timeline where she went missing. The amount of stuff that clicks on rewatch is crazy.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Yeah that really got me. Cooper kind of brushes him off as another Red Room thing and it's really horrible when you think about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even more powerful afterward, when you realize he’s the Leland from the timeline where she went missing. The amount of stuff that clicks on rewatch is crazy.
Oooh this is an interesting take. I always figured that Leland was some kind of Red Room entity specifically trying to trick Cooper into loving up once again. Either way going on to a quest given be Leland of all people should be a big warning sign.

drat I can't wait to rewatch The Return whenever I find some time to.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

you just blew my mind

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

:wow: