Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Chalks posted:

Someone who can be bothered please make a twitter account for this stuff
Or just release it as a poetry collection.

EXPECTED RESULT -- The Best Verse from the Worst 'Verse

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Maybe stick it to the bonnet of your car as a hood ornament - pimp your ride!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Danakir posted:

To be quite frank, melting it sounds both pointless and kind of petty. Just sell it on Ebay or something.

Agreed, that's pretty childish and petty. Especially if it's actual of decent making.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Paint it in Elite/NMS/the other space game colours.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Lot of people jealous of your Connie model ITT. Do what you want with it, it's your shame

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Like death all my life.

It's the background details that make a space story for me, that ghost guy lives in United States, Washington, he's spent at least $250 on Star Citizen, has visited the forums 9 times and made only 1 post, a post that the mods didn't like so they deleted it.

Unknown what he was thinking as he was experiencing the 'Verse in 2.4.

AP fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 17, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Not true at all.

So you don't post when you want to? Is someone blackmailing you to write inane posts on an online-forum?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
HANGER DECORATION APPEAR IN SHIP AND ONES LEFT APPEARED OFFSET OR GONE

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Reset all decorations in York hanger left game reentered Hanget. Went to Ship Saw Decorations Load into ship area respawn ship fixed but items upstairs still missing or offset like sapace cactus.

ACTUAL RESULT
Space Cactus base is on table but cactus floats a little distance away. Posters seems missing but register in port config. also display cases. for display case models floating in Freelancer ship in bay. ect.

EXPECTED RESULT
Would expect everything to stay where you put them

Revolutionary artificial intelligence in the game Star Citizen has interfaced with hangar flair, achieved sentience and has started sending out tiny model space ship scouts. Sapace cactus is angry.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 17, 2016

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Remember when we were exited for Star Citizen? :smith:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

People who defend Star Citizen's long and slow development do it by saying they were making the tools to make the game. Every time they start over they use these tools to create more refined tools over and over again. They unironically think that game development is doing alchemy in Morrowind.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Kakarot posted:

Remember when we were exited for Star Citizen? :smith:

I still am.

EXPECTED RESULT
missile inbound message goes away after missiles have missed you and gone away

GREYCAT BUGGY STUCK IN RELIANT

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Spawn the Reliant
2 Open cargo hold

ACTUAL RESULT
The Greycat Buggy is Spawned with the Reliant, inside of it.

EXPECTED RESULT
Only the Reliant should have spawned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrI6C8hzSbA

EXPECTED RESULT
leave seat

EXPECTED RESULT
The ship just spawned, so no overheating should take place, and no voice should tell me about it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

I still am.

EXPECTED RESULT
missile inbound message goes away after missiles have missed you and gone away

GREYCAT BUGGY STUCK IN RELIANT

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Spawn the Reliant
2 Open cargo hold

ACTUAL RESULT
The Greycat Buggy is Spawned with the Reliant, inside of it.

EXPECTED RESULT
Only the Reliant should have spawned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrI6C8hzSbA

EXPECTED RESULT
leave seat

EXPECTED RESULT
The ship just spawned, so no overheating should take place, and no voice should tell me about it.

Oh right, this reminds me they still haven't got their hangar module working properly.

Again, things that currently don't work reliably in Star Citizen: spawning a stationary vessel in an empty room.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

People who defend Star Citizen's long and slow development do it by saying they were making the tools to make the game. Every time they start over they use these tools to create more refined tools over and over again. They unironically think that game development is doing alchemy in Morrowind.

Hey, if it really were like alchemy in Morrowind, the Citizens would be right because you could do stupidly insane poo poo with alchemy in Morrowind. If it worked like that CIG really would be able to finish all the dreams!

It's more like CIG is a blacksmith in the Middle Ages, scamming some retard-noble who wants a fancy clock. Redoing the tools to make the tools to make the parts of the clock over and over again, to make the fancy clock really fancy.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

This is actually a great move, aren't you SOL refundwise if you melt/switch the ship you bough from CIG?

Short answer: no.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

nice Photoshop.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
drat Toast has the face of a guy I wouldn't lend a fiver

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I imagine he'll use exactly that sketchy smile when testifying that all the money's gone

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
hey i found another upcoming game that's promising some of SC's features and looks way loving better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHx1rG5LhrU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I imagine he'll use exactly that sketchy smile when testifying that all the money's gone

"what me a shill?" "no sir!" "a Supershill!"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
You know CIG have done a well enough job spoiling us with information that any time we go a few weeks or months without substantial information or updates this subreddit gets filled with doubt, misinformation, trolls and the nameless guy. It always seems like talks about refunds, and spending money and "was it worth it?" come up every time there's a lul like this.

The trolls aren't what bother me. It's the fact that some people in the community are so easily frightened by the thought that our crowd funded darling might not be going as smoothly as we hoped. Yeah I get it, for some people there's a lot invested it's easy to sympathize. But really guys? Are we, as a community, going to have such a short memory and not notice how things get done by CIG?

Let's rewind a bit.

For the first half of 2015, things were at a real low. Star Marine perpetually got delayed, along with social module and multicrew. We saw lots of sales for concept ships but with very minimal updates to Arena Commander and no release in sight for the bigger updates. I remember lots of doubt, lots of posts basically saying the exact same thing I see now. Was it a waste of money? Who is this Derek Smart guy and why should I care? You couldn't go far without seeing negativity about the game. Some even questioned what CIG was even doing during the work day. Then something wonderful happened. CIG hired Disco Lando and he made the best gently caress-up ever for the community. He accidentally let over 50 gigs worth of assets get leaked.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
We got a massive dump of information that nobody was expecting. I mean if you joined the Star Citizen community after the leak happened you might not have seen some of those ships before. There's a look at the Vanduul fleet, it's where we first saw the F8 Lightning, and a UEE ship that dwarfs the Bengal Carrier. People were genuinely surprised with this week as it came to a shock that CIG were doing their jobs.

This leak happened just over a year ago. Let that sink in. All that work happened without our knowledge. So what do you think has been going on in the background in the previous year? Do you really think what you see and hear on Around the Verse and Reverse the Verse is it? There is a lot that happens behind the scenes without our knowledge so I'd like to bring up a couple of specific examples.

The Aegis Sabre - First introduced to us in concept at Citizencon at October 10th. There really wasn't any mention of the Sabre before it was revealed, yet here it is. Concept to flight ready in a matter of months.

Pupil to Planet - Foundry 42 Frankfurt had barely been a functioning studio for six months and we see this gem. Procedural planets is nothing any of us were expecting to see this early. Yet there it is. It's been another six months since that trailer, so who knows that kind of progress has been made since then.

Any time someone brings up a lack of progress as criticism on CIG hasn't been paying enough attention. I mean maybe we're so saturated with community content it's easy to miss some of the details. But if you've been a backer for a really long time, you'll notice the patterns with CIG's release schedule. For the first 7-8 months of the year, don't expect to see a lot. The only thing they really like to show us that's in progress are ships, because ships look cool even when all you have is a drawing. Really the big pushes happen in the latter half of the year. Gamescom, Citizencon, the Anniversary sale and the December livestream are typically when we see the fruits of their labor. So August, October, November and December are when the big changes are shown.

TL;DR: Just because we don't see a lot of new stuff in the community content put together by CIG, doesn't mean there isn't a lot going on. They're still a AAA developer and even for an open project like Star Citizen, there's still legitimate reasons to hold back on showing absolutely everything. There might even be some legal reasons behind it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Note to CIG

Here's some constructive feedback for you. Game development is really finicky and things are changing all the time. You guys are really good at communicating as you develop but I think you've been really terrible with your roadmaps. Remember in 2014 when you laid out release schedule for Social Module, Star Marine and Multicrew? We were supposed to get Social and Star Marine around March and April, and then Multicrew was expected for halfway between. Delays are fine, but being strung along not noing when to expect anything is not.

CIG, back when Social Module came out you released this post by Tony Zurovec. It's been nine months since this post and we've only just gotten part one of the Persistence Update. As of right now, we really don't have a clue when to expect some of the major milestones that have been discussed over the years.

I think a solution would be to communicate the near term plans a bit better with the community. Giving us a roadmap but updating it at the same time. For example when you say we're going to get Nyx soon and it gets pushed back because of shifting priorities, delays and whatever that's fine. Don't leave us in the dark about it though. Something like having a six month roadmap posted on the website or forums giving us an idea of what features you are planning on adding to the alpha in that time. If things aren't going to make it, simply push them back on the roadmap. That's fine, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of this community isn't going to lose sleep over a delay.

Anyways, this rant has gone on long enough. Hopefully we can get a good discussion going!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
You know guys they had worked on a ship and a 30 second in-engine video that we didn't know about, so they probably have a whole game under wraps plz discuss

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
It's a fifth post, this is

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Drake Dragonfly means that Space Excitebike mode is definitely coming in 2.5 2.6!

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Iceclaw posted:

Agreed, that's pretty childish and petty. Especially if it's actual of decent making.

Of decent making it is not......maybe all the more reason to spare it's existence, something shoddy that actually shipped..

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Oh right, this reminds me they still haven't got their hangar module working properly.

Again, things that currently don't work reliably in Star Citizen: spawning a stationary vessel in an empty room.

Dude, you can't even leave something on a shelf without coming back to find it flying around checking all the other buggy poo poo out.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Whomever sets up the Issue Council twitter needs to use the old MADTV "Lowered Expectations" picture as the background

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

boethius posted:

Drake Dragonfly means that Space Excitebike mode is definitely coming in 2.5 2.6!

I really don't see CIG being able to squirt out something remotely as exciting, well-balanced, or fidelitous as Excitebike.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

I really don't see CIG being able to squirt out something remotely as exciting, well-balanced, or fidelitous as Excitebike.

Also its japanese version featured persistence :japan:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Also its japanese version featured persistence :japan:

The french version did feature persistencé.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGhKXiSP2g

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What's the name of the dance where you stand still and your knees twitch randomly?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the name of the dance where you stand still and your knees twitch randomly?

Parkinson's. If it's non-random, it's probably more a case of prodigy.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's not a problem if you live in Germany.

Do you like Battletech?

I love battletech. I used to watch the Robotech cartoons in the good 'ole days and played every iteration MechWarrior. I never got into the board or card game that much, but I'm looking into the new RTS that's coming out.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Chris Roberts decided 5 years ago that he was going to dress up like a superhero, and fly through the sky like Superman, under his own power and otherwise unassisted by un-fidelitious technology like airplanes or jetpacks. This was going to be the real deal.

In 2012 the Kickstarter began. A few hundred thousand dollars turned into over 100 million over the next several years. People who believed in the vision of Chris Roberts flying around downtown were rewarded with absolute, irrefutable proof that this was going to happen in the form of:

- Multiple weekly videos about how Chris was going to fly around
- The ability to donate money to design and build all the different suits Chris can wear while flying
- CGI videos showing what it will look like when Chris will fly
- Hundreds of people across several countries dedicated to making Chris's flight dreams a reality
- The actual creation of the superhero costumes Chris will wear while flying
- Videos with Chris himself answering questions about how cool it will be to fly
- Funded events where people who believe Chris will fly all gather together to talk about how cool it will be

Stories about how Chris tried to fly in the past, and failed, were downplayed by his supporters. They kept referencing the aforementioned items as proof that the inherent problems in the plan were well in hand. They did, after all, hire the world's foremost experts on flight. They talked about flying in videos. They designed the costumes. With successful efforts like that, clearly this project was nearing completion. Surely they wouldn't go through all that effort if the core goal - the foundation of his vision - was unattainable.

As Chris leaped from the tallest building, and began to plummet to the ground, the backers looked up with smiles on their faces. He'd pull up any moment now in a triumphant arc, and his, and everyone else's, dreams would come true.

A very few people looked away. Those people remained silent, for they had been attacked, browbeaten, threatened, and harrassed by the believers when they had made a simple, factual statement when this whole thing began: Chris Roberts can't fly.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

I love battletech. I used to watch the Robotech cartoons in the good 'ole days and played every iteration MechWarrior. I never got into the board or card game that much, but I'm looking into the new RTS that's coming out.

Would you be more confident in giving money to HBS if they adopted CIG's development and communications paradigm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I've given money to Jordan Weisman, he's the best dude at kickstarting games

• Locked thread