Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polar
Nov 3, 2003

umalt posted:

As the owner of that fruity little half-stack you got there, I can say congrats on your fun little noisemaker. Plus it really matches paint job of the guitar you've got there.

Also, mind taking a picture of the headstock there so we can tell what kind of Les Paul it is?

Also a pro-tip on the Micro Terror, if you're thinking of getting an overdrive or distortion for more gain, go for either a treble booster or a clean boost. None of the dirt pedals I have work even half as well as the treble booster I have running into that thing, and I have heard from other people that other clean boosts work pretty drat good with it. So in short, try an MXR Micro Amp or an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 before anything else if you want it to get real dirty.

Just got a starter guitar. I do like this little amp. I liked it more than some of the small orange combos. Mine has a JJ tube in it and it sounds good for being so cheap. I have been looking into a new tube for it and found some great info about tubes and have a 25$ one picked out. It might really help the sound of it. It seems a little dark maybe. Im still really new to this. Got allot of learning to do. In retrospect I could have gotten a small 4w vox for a similar price. I liked the idea that I could get a 2x12 or a 4x12 later as needed and this would power something like that.

Thank you for the advice on the pedals. I will likely be getting a pedal soon. I was really interested in a multi effects but a few small ones could be cheaper than a multi effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

polar posted:

Got my first guitar and amp.

Congratulations on avoiding the usual lovely beginner purchasing mistakes and getting an awesome setup! That looks like a super fun way to start out.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
What's the verdict on the Squire CV Strats? I know the Tele's and basses are well regarded but I don't hear much about the Strats. There's one on CL right now for $250, seems like a solid deal I could probably get it for $225.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Where's the current best deal for that Micro-Terror mini-stack?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

HollisBrown posted:

What's the verdict on the Squire CV Strats? I know the Tele's and basses are well regarded but I don't hear much about the Strats. There's one on CL right now for $250, seems like a solid deal I could probably get it for $225.

Also great, still will want to have it set up/looked over by a trusted tech

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

Also great, still will want to have it set up/looked over by a trusted tech

I'm more than able to set it up, but how are the pickups? I played a CV Tele once and thought the pickups were actually quite good, not as hot as a mexican tele that I was comparing it too but better sounding. In my experience the CV was better than the Mexican in literally every category except the setup which is an easy fix.

Doctor Tog
Oct 10, 2008

HollisBrown posted:

I'm more than able to set it up, but how are the pickups? I played a CV Tele once and thought the pickups were actually quite good, not as hot as a mexican tele that I was comparing it too but better sounding. In my experience the CV was better than the Mexican in literally every category except the setup which is an easy fix.

I picked up a 50s style CV strat recently, and the pickups sound much better than I was expecting them to. Not too hot, and the 2 and 4 positions are excellent. Overall the only thing I'd say that was worse than the MIM strats is the trem, but that can be hosed around with to taste. For 250$ or 225$ I'd say it's worth it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

butros posted:

Where's the current best deal for that Micro-Terror mini-stack?

A quick search (not looking for used ones), seems to be Amazon. $30 less than Sweetwater if you're getting the head and cabinet together.

Glad to see the Micro Terror getting its dues, really like that amp.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Concatenation posted:

Awesome. Specs? Did you buy it as a full custom or was this one that they'd pre-built?

Mahogany body, 5p maple/mahogany neck, macassar ebony board, Bareknuckle Aftermaths, Hipshot 7 bridge. Bolt on neck. It's technically a custom, but not getting any fancy topwoods or anything meant I got it in 8 months instead of a year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

Didn't realize who I quoted. :shobon: Pickups are good; they sound a lot like SSL-1s (probably the same wind and magnets, just done overseas). I'd probably check the wiring just to be sure it's clean and maybe change the selector to something a bit more sturdy but that and the setup are probably the only bones I'd have to pick with it.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
This guy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I'm super jelly.

Declan MacManus posted:

Didn't realize who I quoted. :shobon: Pickups are good; they sound a lot like SSL-1s (probably the same wind and magnets, just done overseas). I'd probably check the wiring just to be sure it's clean and maybe change the selector to something a bit more sturdy but that and the setup are probably the only bones I'd have to pick with it.

DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING TO! No man it's cool.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 15, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I'm really excited because I got it cheap enough where I can guiltlessly gig it. I've got a mint POG2 at home that's in unbelievable shape considering it's been in my possession for two years. I want to set up a second signal path with this and probably a delay and fuzz. This one I'll keep up on a music stand or something so I can manipulate the sliders and knobs easily without bending down. Does anybody have any experience with that?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

juche mane posted:

I'm really excited because I got it cheap enough where I can guiltlessly gig it. I've got a mint POG2 at home that's in unbelievable shape considering it's been in my possession for two years. I want to set up a second signal path with this and probably a delay and fuzz. This one I'll keep up on a music stand or something so I can manipulate the sliders and knobs easily without bending down. Does anybody have any experience with that?

Small folding table or a keyboard rack and some cheap planks of plywood and velcro. I find music stands to be finicky (since most of them are designed just to hold paper, after all). You could also jury rig one of those iPad holders into a mount for your Micro Synth and then you can just clip it to a mic stand or something.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Laptop stand from wal mart.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Great ideas. How about running a separate signal path? I've got a Ibanez wah with a dry out, and a Hall of Fame reverb that I believe has two inputs and outputs. Would I need anything else to make sure the synth doesn't affect my normal tone? I believe I've read somewhere that they do that.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I use a cookbook stand. They tend to be more solid.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

The micro synth is indeed a HUGE tone soak, run a bypass loop for it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I grabbed a tall nightstand table at a thrift shop for my theremin/pedals. Just threw on some carpet. works great and I put candles and incense underneath it (it has two layers). It is pretttttty cool.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I grabbed a tall nightstand table at a thrift shop for my theremin/pedals. Just threw on some carpet. works great and I put candles and incense underneath it (it has two layers). It is pretttttty cool.

Needs black light.

Dregel
Dec 29, 2010

My latest two purchases, a Hagström Bass 210amplifier that I have modified to allow it to be used as both a guitar amp and a bass amp, and a Höfner 169 guitar.
I don't know the exact age of any of them but a good guess would be that they were both made sometime in the late sixties or early seventies.

And here's a picture of all three of my “Vintage” guitars, just for shits and giggles.
A Hagström 12, twelve string electric guitar from 1966.
A Gibson RD Standard Bass, electrical bass guitar from 1977.
And the Höfner.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm gonna get an EHX Soul Food OD. It's a Klon clone, and I feel a bit prickish for buying it, but it's also like $60 and I can afford that compared to the nutty prices that used Klons go for. KTRs aren't widely available, either.

drat, EHX. That's kinda lovely/awesome of you.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Ah, you got the email too. "Why do we like Soul Food? Cause it tastes so good. Pass the peas!" At least they admitted it right off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiP8qYVgKFA

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat, I was thinking about a cheapo Klon clone to go with my "new" Vibro Champ. That's way cheap.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
I recently built a time machine so I could go back in time to get a small amp for at home and for recording. I already have a 50 watt plexi so I thought I would get something with a different vibe. I stopped at the local Sears and purchased this lovely little number: the Silvertone 1482! 15 watts and with all the original tubes and a custom dust cover, along with a set of NOS tubes as well! Really the only way to play this is with the channels jumped and both volumes and tones dimed. It sounds like classic Neil Young and its loving mint.

Here it is with the pedalboard I put together over the summer:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Ah, you got the email too. "Why do we like Soul Food? Cause it tastes so good. Pass the peas!" At least they admitted it right off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiP8qYVgKFA

Nah, I've got enough press lists coming in, I usually don't pay a lot of attention to EHX - in this case, though, I got it through the grapevine and then they confirmed it's a Klon clone on Facebook, so, welp.

As you say - at least they're not bullshitting about it, they're just acknowledging that it's a clone and that's that. Again, I feel kinda crappy buying it because I kinda know the guy a little (well, friend of a friend... several friends, actually) and I know all the grisly details surrounding his efforts to bring the Klon to market in a more reasonable form factor and time table. But, I dunno. A second-hand purchase wouldn't put any money in his pocket anyway, and KTRs are kinda hard to find and also out of my Christmas shopping list price range. As are the various Klones around there like the Aluminum Falcon, etc.

This isn't. It's mad cheap. I'm in, though I might feel a bit grimy :shrug:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That's pretty much how I feel about my Rainbow of Danos (as featured in Premier Guitar. No, really.) Got them all at closeout prices, but, well, I felt a little dirty.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

Nah, I've got enough press lists coming in, I usually don't pay a lot of attention to EHX - in this case, though, I got it through the grapevine and then they confirmed it's a Klon clone on Facebook, so, welp.

As you say - at least they're not bullshitting about it, they're just acknowledging that it's a clone and that's that. Again, I feel kinda crappy buying it because I kinda know the guy a little (well, friend of a friend... several friends, actually) and I know all the grisly details surrounding his efforts to bring the Klon to market in a more reasonable form factor and time table. But, I dunno. A second-hand purchase wouldn't put any money in his pocket anyway, and KTRs are kinda hard to find and also out of my Christmas shopping list price range. As are the various Klones around there like the Aluminum Falcon, etc.

This isn't. It's mad cheap. I'm in, though I might feel a bit grimy :shrug:
If he doesn't have any affordable options I wouldn't feel bad in the slightest man.
It's not like you're buying a Danelectro pedal or something.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

That's pretty much how I feel about my Rainbow of Danos (as featured in Premier Guitar. No, really.) Got them all at closeout prices, but, well, I felt a little dirty.

That was you? Your Danos are awesome :3:

As far as the Klon goes, the Centaur is no longer produced and the KTR does fine for itself, so this just cuts into the market of other Centaur clones (and my heart does not exactly bleed for those people).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DiscoDickTease posted:

I recently built a time machine so I could go back in time to get a small amp for at home and for recording. I already have a 50 watt plexi so I thought I would get something with a different vibe. I stopped at the local Sears and purchased this lovely little number: the Silvertone 1482! 15 watts and with all the original tubes and a custom dust cover, along with a set of NOS tubes as well! Really the only way to play this is with the channels jumped and both volumes and tones dimed. It sounds like classic Neil Young and its loving mint.

Here it is with the pedalboard I put together over the summer:

Back in the day my band opened for the Apples In Stereo. At that time all of their amps were Silvertone from this era, and all of ours were tuck and roll Kustoms. We had a great time nerding out about their amps and vice versa. Welp, that's my story.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

You remember when I sold every damned dan-o pedal I owned, like $500 worth, for about half their usual resale value back when the first TOD=Timmy thing happened? Heh...

It's different when you know the guys. I dunno how else to put it. I probably shouldn't get this, but I'm probably going to anyway. There's sufficient demand for the real deal that KTRs get cleaned out on TGP every time a run of them is produced, and it's the whole reason there's such a weird little cottage industry around Klones in the first place. Scarcity of the pedal, huge demand for the pedal, the fact that it's not patented and there's no copyright violation unless you make an exact copy of the layout "art" = there will be clones.

At least this one is straight up about it and isn't overcharging. What really loving pisses me off is poo poo like the Jan Ray clone where it's a goddamned Timmy but with less range in the EQ and very slight part tweaks, you could mod a Timmy into a Jan Ray on a 2pdt switch for peanuts, but they bullshitted about spending three years debugging their circuits to get 'em just right...

If it takes you three loving years to modify six parts of a Timmy, you are a terrible designer and you don't deserve praise, let alone to sell a product for $400 when the guy who came up with it sixteen years ago sells a better version with more range for prices that are totally competitive with BOSS' single-slot lineup.

Derivative jerkoffs bug me more than "yeah this is a clone of that." But I'm still going to feel grody paying for it since part of me thinks, probably should just save up a bit more if I want the sound and give it to the guy who is still making them. If my wallet and his product availability ever matched up.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 16, 2013

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

I won the Secret Santa lottery :smugdog:

No idea what I'm going to do with this thing but that send loop it has is definitely going to meet up with my envelope filter and my analog delay and my recording equipment :)

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Schlieren posted:

No idea what I'm going to do with this thing but that send loop it has is definitely going to meet up with my envelope filter and my analog delay and my recording equipment :)

Dude, protip, put a chorus or vibrato in the loop, place a delay after the superego, and then use it on the auto mode; Instapad.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Schlieren posted:

You're killing me. I'm trying to wait until after christmas to buy one of these and a pog2 for the loop. I already have a ring thing that could handle the modulation part.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
This is a nice little setup for a condo with thin walls and cranky neighbours.

Now to just learn how to play and I'm all set.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

Now to just learn how to play and I'm all set.

I'm in the same boat! Nice setup, by the way.

It feels like learning guitar all over again with that extra string there.

The B-stock blemish I couldn't give a poo poo about.

The pickups are kinda meh and it's heavy as all poo poo. Only complaints so far (beyond my playing ability).

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Black on flat black is the best Les Paul.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

RetardedRobots posted:

Black on flat black covered in fingerprints is the best Les Paul.

:hellyeah:

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Just ordered 2 g12 century vintage speakers off amazon for $79 each. Threw my back out shoveling some snow so Its a good excuse as ever to buy some lighter speakers!

Going to be stuffing these into my Port City 2x12, and was considering trying out some foam doughnut beam blockers. Anyone try these out before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I emailed my local dealer to begin the process of ordering a Dingwall Super J. It's going to be a long wait.