Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've been doing this:

Made up the whole package of Xtol which was too much so half went into datatainer, half into empty water jug.

Always make up 1+1 for dev and one-shot. After pouring out of datatainer I replace with liquid from the jug. I keep the jug topped up with no air bubbles, but not the jug. I am pretty sure that I could end up with the developer failing at some point because of this.

I try to be gentle with agitation and add contrast after scanning. I think I get better detail preservation that way but really I have no idea.

My next developer batch will have better containers.

That was my compulsive journal-post. Here's my question: is developing for "flat", low-contrast negs and using a high-contrast paper or chemical printing process (if that even exists) a thing to do? I wonder about the day I eventually put together a darkroom with enlarger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ricoh 35FM viewfinder. Really simple point-and-shoot you can pick up for cheap on eBay, I think from the 1970s or 1980s. I filled up a good part of the roll on a legal trip to Atlanta but haven't taken them for developing yet.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

chitoryu12 posted:

Ricoh 35FM viewfinder. Really simple point-and-shoot you can pick up for cheap on eBay, I think from the 1970s or 1980s. I filled up a good part of the roll on a legal trip to Atlanta but haven't taken them for developing yet.

Please spoiler this, viewfinders are very triggering for some readers of this thread.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
You guys were talking about negative scanners a bit. What would you recommend? Sounds like the v600 isn't that good? I'd like something that does 35mm and MF since I'll eventually go down that path. Around 500 bucks would be great too.

The 35mm low rez scans I'm getting back from the darkroom are just ok and I don't want to pay 4 additional dollars for a little more resolution per roll. Makes more sense to buy my own, especially with doing my own development on the horizon.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That was my compulsive journal-post. Here's my question: is developing for "flat", low-contrast negs and using a high-contrast paper or chemical printing process (if that even exists) a thing to do? I wonder about the day I eventually put together a darkroom with enlarger.

With a neg if you want to wet print with an enlarger, just make sure the negative has all the detail you want in the shadows and highlights, and you should be able to print it fine using the standard filter set. If you want to do alt process printing, the negative is much more important, typically you'll want something high-contrast, and getting the density right for the process is quite a battle. Hence, why people use printed negatives for alt processing, as it gives you total control.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I use a V700 for everything. 35mm is a huge loving hassle. I just load the 35mm tray normally to "preview" my shots and if there's any keepers, I re-scan them with the better scanning ANR glass.............. buuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttt but but but since Tri-X curls like no one's business, I end up strapping the glass to the tray with rubber bands to keep it flat. It's a stupid work-around solution, but it seems to work really well when I take the time to do it.

The 120 Better Scanning tray + ANR glass will get you where you need to go on that front no problemo.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is there one of those 35mm film scanners that isn't total rear end? It'd be nice to just get flickr quality scans from those without doing too much fuckery. My flatbed sucks for 35mm (as people have mentioned).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I must have the magical V550, my 35mm scans usually turn out pretty good (or I have low standards) :shrug:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Choicecut posted:

You guys were talking about negative scanners a bit. What would you recommend? Sounds like the v600 isn't that good? I'd like something that does 35mm and MF since I'll eventually go down that path. Around 500 bucks would be great too.

Luckily B&H has you covered! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/film-scanners

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Helicity posted:

Is there one of those 35mm film scanners that isn't total rear end? It'd be nice to just get flickr quality scans from those without doing too much fuckery. My flatbed sucks for 35mm (as people have mentioned).

Based on the results I've seen, if you're just doing 35mm, a macro lens is a better investment if you have a digital camera to back it up.

If you're rich just pay for drum scans.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So with my digicam whenever I shoot snow I always overexpose by around 1.5 stops.

Is it safe to assume that the rule of thumb is the same when shooting with film? If it matters I'll be shooting Ektar 100 and getting it developped at London Drugs probably.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Try to shoot Ektar at box speed. If you're not sure, round to the stop of overexposure. It's a bit more forgiving than slide film but it doesn't handle underexposure well at all.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ok, yeah, I've been shooting at ISO 100 but was going to take the shutter speed down a notch to overexpose. Thanks!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Spedman posted:

I must have the magical V550, my 35mm scans usually turn out pretty good (or I have low standards) :shrug:

If you could post an example from your v550 sometime I'd be really interested in taking a look to judge your standards see if I should consider shimming my 35mm holder.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

chitoryu12 posted:

christ, what entails an illegal trip to atlanta?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If you could post an example from your v550 sometime I'd be really interested in taking a look to judge your standards see if I should consider shimming my 35mm holder.

This one is heavily cropped from the original

EDIT: Clearly not as sharp as my MF or LF

Spedman fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 6, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Choicecut posted:

The 35mm low rez scans I'm getting back from the darkroom are just ok and I don't want to pay 4 additional dollars for a little more resolution per roll. Makes more sense to buy my own, especially with doing my own development on the horizon.

nikon super coolscan 5000 ed

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Thanks for this! After reading that, I think an epson V series would be good enough for me. And these:

Make me think even a 500 or 550 would be good enough. The scans I'm getting from darkroom seem like very quick scans.

atomicthumbs posted:

nikon super coolscan 5000 ed

Lol.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

voodoorootbeer posted:

Driving a car through a Walking Dead shoot?

It was a court date. Fired employee of a company that got shuttered and moved to Florida trying to sue for back pay and Christmas bonuses that were given out after she was fired. She failed, but I took the opportunity to take some photos of the city and some stops around it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
My final order of FP-100C just shipped! :dance: It looks like it's still trickling in, and B&H is honoring prices as they were placed.

When it gets here my stash will be just under 50 packs total:
23 packs FP-3000B
22 packs FP-100C
4 packs FP-100B

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

voodoorootbeer posted:

dammit i wanted to make this joke

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
what a jerk

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this lens is finally mine and holy poo poo you guys this is the raddest loving thing

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

FA gets no love...

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

DJExile posted:

this lens is finally mine and holy poo poo you guys this is the raddest loving thing

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage posted:

Freestyle says Fujifilm is no longer going to sell Acros 4x5 in the US market. I bought 10 boxes - that should last me a good while...

Turns out Freestyle is wrong! :buddy:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Helicity posted:

I've said this a bunch but get a Pakon 135. I think there's a hack in the FB group so it scans 16-base (2048 × 3072) like the 135+. It's a professional scanner so there's little or no interpolation like flatbeds. It also scans a roll of 36 with dust/scratch correction in like 10 minutes, unattended. It also nails the colors for most films off the bat.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Oh yeah, so I got some fresh Portra 400 back and it's super grainy and cyan. That most likely means spent developer, right?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Chill Callahan posted:

Oh yeah, so I got some fresh Portra 400 back and it's super grainy and cyan. That most likely means spent developer, right?

If they're grainy it probably means they're thin negs, which points towards either spent dev, too low temp or too short time in dev

http://www.maco-photo.de/files/images/C41_InstructionManual.pdf

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Could be badly underexposed as well

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good place to get film developed in the Washington DC area? Preferably in Virginia or DC. I'm currently leaning towards this place out of convenience: http://www.dominioncamera.com/index.html

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Chill Callahan posted:

For a good point of reference to see whether it's underexposure or developer problems - it would be a good idea compare the edge markings of a known good roll to your potentially misdeveloped one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shot a roll of tri-x through my me super which needs a few whacks and film advances before it will cock if it hasn't been shot in the last ~24hours. In the middle of my roll I have 8 or so shots that turned out like this:

Is this the mirror not behaving properly or a shutter problem? The mirror doesn't stick at all when I look at it + gently lift it with a finger. I was shooting the tri-x at 1600 and had fairly high shutter speeds for some of these shots - a possible reason why there was an issue? Thanks.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's time for a CLA or new camera.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

burzum karaoke posted:

It's time for a CLA or new camera.

It's a $40 me super so I'm not going to CLA it but maybe time to pay KEH a visit. A bummer since I had to repair it to get it to cock at all.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

hi liter posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to get film developed in the Washington DC area? Preferably in Virginia or DC. I'm currently leaning towards this place out of convenience: http://www.dominioncamera.com/index.html

If you end up using them, please post your thoughts. I'm close by but still mailing back to NYC.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

hi liter posted:

When I was living in DC I usually brought my stuff here: http://www.dodgechrome.com/

Really nice people, only downside is their actual development place is in Silver Spring, so it takes a little longer to get your stuff back. But the quality is good and they develop E-6 as well as C-41.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Speaking of film development, does anybody have any recommendations for a good place that does 120 in central New Jersey? I'm sure I could always find one in NYC but I don't want to have to make the trek out there if I don't have to.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Argh, I've got some poo poo in my sky:

(levels adjusted and red lines added to show exactly what I'm addressing)

I processed at home with freshly mixed developer + blix. My stabilizer smelled a little funny (also newly mixed but stored in a bottle that used to have old stab in it). Anyone wager a guess as to what cased this? Other frames seem ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There's also a weird halo around the bird house - maybe you aren't agitating enough and letting the developer pool?