Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Zefiel posted:

At first a little apartment of your own with no rent or mortage to worry about for eternity, with your own soda gun for mixing rude drinks and everything, and the whole collection of -Insert your favorite childhood author, no matter how obscure or rare to find their books are- sounds pretty cool, but then when compared to the limitless experience you'd expect from actual heaven it seems limiting and almost mediocre. Which somehow fits Beef's self-view to a T.

If it wasn't because we saw everyone goes to the same hell (and you get a Subaru Brat when you get there) I'd risk guessing that heaven in Achewood is a sort of Matrix thing where everyone has their own personal vision of it going, seeing with how much it fit what Beef would expect of an afterlife for the likes of him, who is just a humble honest man with not too much money no sir.

I wish Ray had gone to heaven briefly too. I bet his room would've had mad sluts in it. And a tub of sour cream.

Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Chocolate love all

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like a lot of Onstad's approach to writing women can be summed up by the fact that he introduced Molly's family via elaborate shenanigans, and then instead of giving Molly any substantial interactions with them, uses them mostly to interact with a third-string male character. At that point, dude isn't even trying to pretend Molly isn't a prop for his increasingly negative feelings about relationships.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Tbh I don’t know how you properly flesh out the internal life of a seventeenth century Welshwoman who’s been living in an afterlife that appears to culturally keep pace with the living world for four hundred years and now lives with Beef and Ray.

Like I sure as poo poo don’t fault Onstad for basically dropping any and all references to that and basically just writing her as a well-adjusted contemporary woman 99% of the time until the wedding arc

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

does he, though? she never, like, goes to anyone's house, or does anything, except in the context of Roast Beef. the camera does not follow her, it follows him. imagine for a moment, a strip where Molly is out buying groceries, and something happens, and she responds somehow, and it has nothing to do with Roast Beef before during or after, the same way RB and Ray can encounter the Little Corn Salesman without Molly being involved. Onstad absolutely does not do this, ever - she exists only as Roast Beef perceives her, to a point that would be artistic if he did it intentionally

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

does he, though? she never, like, goes to anyone's house, or does anything, except in the context of Roast Beef. the camera does not follow her, it follows him. imagine for a moment, a strip where Molly is out buying groceries, and something happens, and she responds somehow, and it has nothing to do with Roast Beef before during or after, the same way RB and Ray can encounter the Little Corn Salesman without Molly being involved. Onstad absolutely does not do this, ever - she exists only as Roast Beef perceives her, to a point that would be artistic if he did it intentionally

there’s that time that she looks at a thing Roast Beef did and she smiles because of her love for Roast Beef. Wait, poo poo.

I mean, she’s well adjusted by the standards of Achewood. She goes to the gym in one strip which is literally more than you can say for any of the other main characters in terms of healthy living, except for maybe Pat, Pat’s dad, and Phillipe.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Molly had a bit more of a life on the blogs, but even while her blog entries were about events that happened outside the strip, mostly customers at her job IIRC, there were constant refs to Roast Beef and how he's doing, and how she wonders how he's doing, and stuff he did, and what she thinks about the stuff he did, and the stuff he did with his friends, and the stuff she was doing for him, and the stuff she wanted to do for him, and the stuff she was doing because of him, and goddammit Onstad what was so wrong with giving her a little agency

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I thought Teodore goes running a lot?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stringent posted:

Not until later.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stringent posted:

in the future before he dies, yeah

and he, like, can’t make rent and poo poo and lives in relative squalor, so he’s still not doing super great even though he’s a smart gourmand and he’s arguably the most responsible for Phillipe.

Onstad always said that T was the character that he felt most reflected his view of his own life, cursed by poor luck and frustration even tho Beef’s the one we see always experiencing pathos

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

These are just off the top of my head, I think there's more?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

teodor is the one that introduces parkour to the situation with lil nephew at the lake

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
whoops

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

bony tony posted:

Onstad makes a lot of weird little references like that, that seem real without being real.

it is a celebration

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hiram the Blacksmith is a joy I hadn’t remembered

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm guessing that Teodor runs regularly for 2-3 weeks at a time followed by stretches of 3-4 months where he does no exercise at all, every time telling himself "this time it'll stick".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stringent posted:

Teodor is absolutely the guy who starts jogging/parkouring whatever for 2 weeks and then starts putting it off indefinitely until 18 months later when he starts a new health activity and the cycle begins anew.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I really hate these phases of the thread where it descends into goons writing weird fanfic based on themselves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stringent posted:

I really hate these phases of the thread where it descends into goons writing weird fanfic based on themselves.

I'm sorry we're dishonoring Teodor's character with these perfectly reasonable assumptions based on his personality and past behavior.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Stringent posted:

I like to think that grocer's apostrophe made Cornelius angrier than when a man was going to bugger Phillipe through the internet, or when he woke up with "Star Wars" temporarily tattooed to his chest.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I'd like to thank No Context Achewood for reminding me that Cornelius briefly thought he had a tattoo.

... Cornelius briefly thought he had a terrible tattoo.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 13, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like how Achewood has done some back-and-forth on whether the cats are cats, like with owners and so on, or if they're cat people living in a cat world.

bony tony posted:

Onstad makes a lot of weird little references like that, that seem real without being real.
He has a gift for inventing lingo that actually feels colloquial.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ray is apparently worth fifty dollars and the sign from the time he is “lost” (at Tina’s) says he is neutered, although he claims it was only a vasectomy

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't forget the "living in secret underground society" thing which stuck around for a while.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yahoo! has a regrettable logo, but Google, your mom made your logo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Guys! Come quick! I found the son of a bitch who invented Comic Sans!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Ray's way of resolving the Nolan From The Internet problem is a classic

Also both Today's Main Perverts and Death Relationship would make excellent band names

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Ray's way of resolving the Nolan From The Internet problem is a classic

I always just assumed he asked Nice Pete to do it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pershing posted:

I'd like to thank No Context Achewood for reminding me that Cornelius briefly thought he had a tattoo.

That scene where he's beating his chest with the loafer is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zefiel posted:

I wish Ray had gone to heaven briefly too. I bet his room would've had mad sluts in it. And a tub of sour cream.

a muzak rendition of "Heaven is a Place on Earth" plays tinnily from unseen speakers as a disembodied pair of asscheeks silently glides atop an enormous sheet cake

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pastry of the Year posted:

I always just assumed he asked Nice Pete to do it
I feel like Ray has a guy that he would usually go to who is not Nice Pete. Nice Pete's more of a bespoke death artiste.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I feel like Ray has a guy that he would usually go to who is not Nice Pete. Nice Pete's more of a bespoke death artiste.

Sold Nolan out to Ottawa Modified Death

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ray has the juice to borrow a prison inmate in a dog crate to judge the badass games. I'm sure he can just rent that guy again, nothing like a day outside in exchange for some stabbin'

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I always assumed Ray just intimidated Nolan. Just cold murdering a guy (albeit indirectly) doesn't seem like something he'd do.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
He took care of it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Oh like you’re gonna go all pro ice

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

thrilla in vanilla posted:

He took care of it.

Insert here that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen + Achewood mashup with Mr Hyde.

e: found it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Saoshyant posted:

Insert here that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen + Achewood mashup with Mr Hyde.

lmao that owns

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Saoshyant posted:

insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
And it was made by forums raconteur and delight Gavok!