Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

GrAviTy84 posted:

extra firm tofu is pretty sad. I usually only ever go medium firmness, and that's rare, soft/silken tofu erryday. If you want something spongey to soak up sauces you should deep fry it first. This will make a kind of textured skin on the surface of the tofu that will absorb sauces better. Cut it into triangles then deep fry in oil that is > 350F. If it is colder than 350F the tofu will disintegrate and it will be a mess.

Hm, Maybe I'll try frying it. I'm pretty terrified of large amounts of boiling oil (Thanks, Canadian PSA!) but maybe I can shallow fry them and see how it comes out. I was afraid that softer tofu like silken would fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the temperature of the oil is the most important part. If it's too cool then it will just soften the tofu without forming a skin and will just disintegrate.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Liar posted:

Well gently caress, because just drinking it is what I do. I guess I should have taken it as a hint when EVERY review site of flavors talks about how it tastes in coffee, tea, or in baking. Do Soy or Rice milk taste more like actual milk then?

You can get milky tasting versions of soy milk. Just look around the UHT carton section. The brand I get when I've got visitors over is So Good Soy Milky, otherwise I drink Bonsoy & don't care about the flavour.

Try rice milk though, it's got a very mild taste that grows on you.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
ideas for a good lighter soup for an app?? I'm doing steak, seared scallops and veggies and I want something to come before it if it matters.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

ideas for a good lighter soup for an app?? I'm doing steak, seared scallops and veggies and I want something to come before it if it matters.

Gazpacho. Green or white would own in that menu.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Gazpacho. Green or white would own in that menu.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I'm down with gazpacho, but the only issue is this is for my anniversary and my gf hates cold soups. I had no idea there was a white gazpacho, and I wanna do that for myself... but that aside, any other ideas??

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm down with gazpacho, but the only issue is this is for my anniversary and my gf hates cold soups. I had no idea there was a white gazpacho, and I wanna do that for myself... but that aside, any other ideas??

Maybe a lighter borscht? That might trample the scallops though. You could add a slight reprieve after the soup course. Quick canapé or something. Chicken liver toast or mushroom bruschetta. Something like that. Then you could go a tad richer with the soup. Like a curried puréed carrot soup or something.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Try making a simple broccoli soup, it is really simple to make (all you need is water and broccoli) and it can be flavored with stuff like Goat Cheese to make it creamier and tastier.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

EVG posted:

Hm, Maybe I'll try frying it. I'm pretty terrified of large amounts of boiling oil (Thanks, Canadian PSA!) but maybe I can shallow fry them and see how it comes out. I was afraid that softer tofu like silken would fall apart.

I can get deep-fried tofu from Vietnamese supermarkets. It's an awesome addition to heavy, rich braises like kho and red-braised pork. Would probably be very good in adobo, too.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Puréed soup of carrots and ginger. Shred and sautée carrots, shallots, chili and ginger, add chicken or veg stock, boil, blitz. Round off with a little bit of thick yoghurt or crème fraîche. Very good as a starter.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Could do an egg drop or a miso soup if you don't like the others. It doesn't perfectly fit with the cuisine but it's a nice light, hot starter.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

If you 're going oceany, go with a miso soup for sure. Do an overnight soak over (lightly rinsed) kombu and some (well rinsed) dried shiitake. Let them both hang out on the counter overnight. For a 5 cm x 2 cm strip of kombu, you'll want about five shiitakes, and 1 litre of water. Strain it the next morning, and save the soaked dashi and shiitake mushrooms to throw into your next stir-fry. The next day, just as your mains are done (from what I know of a steak, you should let it rest before serving), bring the broth to a simmer, and remove about 1/4 cup of the hot broth. Dissolve into the liquid a tablespoon or two of miso. Pour back into the stock, and turn off the heat. Garnish with a few slices of scallion, and serve.

Optionally (before serving) add in a few baby spinach leaves, some tiny cubes of soft tofu, bean sprouts, whatever you have lying around that's low effort.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Liar posted:

Well gently caress, because just drinking it is what I do. I guess I should have taken it as a hint when EVERY review site of flavors talks about how it tastes in coffee, tea, or in baking. Do Soy or Rice milk taste more like actual milk then?

If you want sugary pop and you're drinking diet, you're gonna be sad. If you want beef and you're eating a boca burger, you're gonna be sad. I think the thing about drinking any nut milk (soy, rice, hemp, almond) is that you kind of should stop looking at it and thinking "milk." It's a different beverage that's been around just as long as milk itself, and wanting it to be milk will just make it disappoint you. None of them are really going to taste like milk to you because you like milk, and you wish you were drinking that.

If you want to make a more neutral-tasting beverage for a milk-drinker, I find that combining milks (soy and rice and almond, for example) can neutralize the stronger flavors in soy and also boost the creaminess of the rice and almond. Or, if you just want to hide the almond from yourself, buy the chocolate almond milk. Even my milk-chugging partner loves that stuff. That, and the So Delicious boxed coconut milks.

All of that said, if you're only going for health benefits, why not just eat a handful of almonds and drink a glass of water instead? All the benefits, no added sugar, and probably cheaper too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Once a week I cook up a big batch of onions and peppers (2-4 onions, 4-8 peppers), usually on the grill but sometimes grill is too much effort so I cook them in the oven. 8x10 I think pyrex pan, 425 degrees with a little olive oil and seasoning. Cooking until the onions start to brown (about 45 mins) and stirring every ~10 minutes things just end up soggy. If I go longer things start burning to the edge of the pan.

How do I cook onions and peppers in the oven and get them to turn out not soggy? Also cooling and storage, whats the best way?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 24, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liar posted:

This is the almond milk you want to drink. Less calories than milk, less sugar, comparable protein, and it's delicious. It's only very lightly sweetened so the nutty flavor of unsweetened is more muted. It's got some locust bean gum in it too, to thicken it closer to dairy milk than other almond milks I've tried. Give it a shot!

EVG posted:

Someone in the vegan thread mentioned that freezing the tofu and then letting it thaw allows the ice crystals that form to pierce it from the inside out, making it more porous and better for marinating or absorbing flavors when you cook it. Obviously you want to just freeze the actual tofu itself, not the water it comes in.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

NitroSpazzz posted:

Once a week I cook up a big batch of onions and peppers (2-4 onions, 4-8 peppers), usually on the grill but sometimes grill is too much effort so I cook them in the oven. 8x10 I think pyrex pan, 425 degrees with a little olive oil and seasoning. Cooking until the onions start to brown (about 45 mins) and stirring every ~10 minutes things just end up soggy. If I go longer things start burning to the edge of the pan.

How do I cook onions and peppers in the oven and get them to turn out not soggy? Also cooling and storage, whats the best way?

Under the broiler. It's an upside down grill. As for storage, tupperware in the fridge?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AlistairCookie posted:

Under the broiler. It's an upside down grill. As for storage, tupperware in the fridge?

Will give that a shot this weekend. Have been using tupperware, problem was even soggier stuff but maybe starting off better will help.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Why isn't there a chocolate thread? I've just discovered bean to bar chocolate and now I must have more chocolate knowledge and discussion. Someone who actually knows something about it should totally make a thread.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I want to slice my own charcuterie meats at home. Whats the best way to do this on a small scale? Im pretty sure I don't have the skills/ patiance to cut this with a sharp knife by hand to the thinness I'd like.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 25, 2013

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Mandoline? watch your thumbs though. How much do deli slicers run anyway? I've just been using my knife, but like you said its pretty slow and hard to get uniform.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A mandoline won't really do it. You need a slicer, just keep an eye out for sales.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

madkapitolist posted:

I want to slice my own charcuterie meats at home. Whats the best way to do this on a small scale? Im pretty sure I don't have the skills/ patiance to cut this with a sharp knife by hand to the thinness I'd like.

Go to the nearest butcher or deli and give 'em five bucks to slice it for you.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah...so another sous vide question. My machine is coming today and I'm prepared to make some steaks from serious eats. The recipe consists of putting the steak in a bag with smashed garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and canola oil. Since I just have a cheap rival food saver, I'm wondering how ill get the oil in the bag. Does it freeze?

Also, it says to set the temp for 130 degree for 45 minutes-12 hours. Food safety question: should I bring the steak up to room temperature before immersing in the 130 water? Or is just dropping them in straight from the fridge good enough?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nwin posted:

Ah...so another sous vide question. My machine is coming today and I'm prepared to make some steaks from serious eats. The recipe consists of putting the steak in a bag with smashed garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and canola oil. Since I just have a cheap rival food saver, I'm wondering how ill get the oil in the bag. Does it freeze?

Also, it says to set the temp for 130 degree for 45 minutes-12 hours. Food safety question: should I bring the steak up to room temperature before immersing in the 130 water? Or is just dropping them in straight from the fridge good enough?

Oil will freeze/lots of oils will solidify at fridge temperature. It's easier to just use a solid fat like butter or duck/pig fat.

Don't use real garlic, it comes out all gross. Just use powdered.

The steak is (presumably) thin enough that you don't need to worry about that, but if it's going in from cold I would probably do 90 minutes as a minimum instead of 45.

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

I'm looking to turn this big jar of Mayo I bought into a zestier and spicier spread for sandwiches. Can I get any recipies along with suggestions on where to buy some of the ingredients (if they are a little specific/obscure?)

EDIT: I wouldn't mind any made-from-scratch mayo/sandwich spreads I've always been meaning to make my own mayonnaise.

Neutron Bandit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 25, 2013

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

double post

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Neutron Bandit posted:

I'm looking to turn this big jar of Mayo I bought into a zestier and spicier spread for sandwiches. Can I get any recipies along with suggestions on where to buy some of the ingredients (if they are a little specific/obscure?)

EDIT: I wouldn't mind any made-from-scratch mayo/sandwich spreads I've always been meaning to make my own mayonnaise.
Make toum and have a shawarma!

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Guess i'm gonna need to learn how to separate egg whites! This looks great as an all-purpose dip but theres no way I have the kitchen to make shawarma.

Still need to do something with this mayo though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Well, you can make some decent spreads by adding:

Chopped pickles and a little lemon for Tartar Sauce

Ketchup for Fries sauce

Ketchup and pickles will get you Thousand Island aka "secret" burger sauce

Siraccha for spicy mayo

Roasted Garlic and lemon for a quick faux aioli

Worcestershire, garlic powder or roasted garlic and fresh black pepper for a good burger spread

Dijion mustard for a basic catch all sandwich spread

Maybe you could blend it with some hummus if you want it more spreadable for a sandwich. Probably good on some roasted veggie sandwich.

Failing that make some potato salad or egg salad with this bucket of mayo

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Well, you can make some decent spreads by adding:

Siraccha for spicy mayo

Roasted Garlic and lemon for a quick faux aioli

Going to try these two. Sound delicious. Has anyone tried experimenting with peppers in mayo?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
I put tinned chipotles in adobo in store bought mayo all the time. That, a little chopped cilantro and some squeezes of lime make a tasty southwest-style spread. Green onion if I have it on hand is a good addition as well. Good on smoked turkey sandwiches.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I'm making chicken enchilada soup for dinner, what are some good sides? I was thinking cornbread and a salad, but this is my first time making this stuff so I'm lost.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've gotten several egg separators, tried several methods, but the easiest thing seems to be cracking them into a bowl and scooping the yolks out with a tablespoon.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

Crack the egg and pass the yolk from one shell half to the other so until the yolk sits neatly in its shell and the white dribbles away into your bowl. Nature's own yolk separator.

minema
May 31, 2011
I just cooked boneless chicken thighs for the first time, is it normal for them to be a dark pink colour in some places? It's not even the middle, more on the side that would have had the bone. It looks cooked and is the right texture and everything but the colour is putting me off a bit.

I followed this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1827/panfried-chicken-in-mushroom-sauce

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

slingshot effect posted:

Crack the egg and pass the yolk from one shell half to the other so until the yolk sits neatly in its shell and the white dribbles away into your bowl. Nature's own yolk separator.
This works very well. The other option is to crack the egg into your hand and gently pass the yolk from hand to hand, leaving a little space between your fingers for the white to go into the bowl.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

minema posted:

I just cooked boneless chicken thighs for the first time, is it normal for them to be a dark pink colour in some places? It's not even the middle, more on the side that would have had the bone. It looks cooked and is the right texture and everything but the colour is putting me off a bit.

I followed this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1827/panfried-chicken-in-mushroom-sauce

It's fine and perfectly harmless. As long as the thighs were cooked to temp it's safe to eat. It's what's known as "revenge blood" and is simply a way for the chicken to get back at you for eating its flesh.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Tofu!

I bought some extra firm tofu and I want to kinda crisp it up a bit to use on a dish. Best way of doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

Tofu!

I bought some extra firm tofu and I want to kinda crisp it up a bit to use on a dish. Best way of doing so?

this was literally answered on this very page of this very thread at the very top.