Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

As amusing and convenient as this is, it probably shouldn't happen in provinces with religious centers. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

e:nvm

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Mysticblade posted:

Once again, there's another dev diary to talk about. Am I the first to read these things and remember the thread or does no one really care about these?

Ah well, monarch's now have personality traits which give modifiers (can be good or bad) and unlock more options in events.

I've been kind of wanting to play more EU4 but whenever I start it up, I just get bored quickly. Anyone got any suggestions for what nation to play? I've been trying out West Europe but I usually enjoy West Africa or India more.

The unmentioned dynasty that they will discuss next week has to be the Hapsburgs, right?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Star posted:

The unmentioned dynasty that they will discuss next week has to be the Hapsburgs, right?

Most likely, maybe they're doing something to model the Ottomans.

My guess would be some stuff with the Habsburgs including events or a way to spread your dynasty aggressively, so things like Habsburg Spain actually happen.

oh, and regarding England start, I just tried one out and be aware you can diplo-vassalize East Frisia right from the start. So probably do that, and get an easy foothold into North Germany.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Most likely, maybe they're doing something to model the Ottomans.

My guess would be some stuff with the Habsburgs including events or a way to spread your dynasty aggressively, so things like Habsburg Spain actually happen.

oh, and regarding England start, I just tried one out and be aware you can diplo-vassalize East Frisia right from the start. So probably do that, and get an easy foothold into North Germany.

East Frisia's good but you can also support Sweden's independence and demand Holstein's vassalage from Denmark, which is an even better foothold for somewhat more effort.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Could do both!

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

Once again, there's another dev diary to talk about. Am I the first to read these things and remember the thread or does no one really care about these?

Ah well, monarch's now have personality traits which give modifiers (can be good or bad) and unlock more options in events.

thanks dude! this is where I get my pdx news, so I read em when you post. This seems like a super nice feature, more roleplaying!
Now just give us a way to interact with our heirs or in some way "train/influence" our rulers. I get that pdx want each game to be distinct but EU could really grow with some ck2 light flavour.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 17, 2016

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

NihilCredo posted:

That ruler personalities DLC dev diary reminded me that a (free!) Ruler Traits mod has existed literally since Conquest of Paradise, and I never checked out if it got updated.

Well, it did and it looks very well fleshed out, but uh, the trait effects look unpleasantly massive for a mostly RNG-driven effect (though admittedly many of those modifiers take advisor bonuses into account, so you have some control over them). Has anybody played with it, and/or does anyone know of a more lightweight mod?

Ahahaha, military education nets you a -15% coring cost. -90% coring cost is available once more(with claims).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
been playing some more after a break and gotta say Corruption is such a lovely mechanic

edit: I mean I've posted it before, but it's nothing but a tax on expansion / being non-Euro that requires player attention while serving no other function

find some other balance lever to pull that doesn't bloat an already overfull game

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 18, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I like corruption.

I'm really not keen on state maintenance though. I thought it was gonna be a way to disincetavize having states on the other side of the map, like if you're England and make Bengal a state or something, it'd have radically increased maintenance cost but with some serious benefits.

Instead it just seems like a totally needless tax that makes the early game considerably more painful for a lot of countries. Corruption you can plan around, but maintenance is just always there. And there's already a penalty to making full states- the full coring cost, along with the cap.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
On the other hand, the States / Territories system has some positive benefits:

-It replaced the old overseas territories system which was really gamey, now you can have whatever you want as full cores or overseas without vassal and continent boundary hijinks
-Allows you to pay half cost now, half cost later for conquered land. More flexibility.
-Allows tight control of accepted cultures, since only full States count

Yeah it's an additional money cost but you're at least getting something for it (I like the system myself).

Corruption has no positives, it's a lovely annoying mechanic that adds an expansion / non-Euro tax at the cost of additional micromanagement and UI space.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 18, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It forces you to weigh short term gain against long term cost, and has added a bunch of weight to a ton of events. Between it and estates when I get an event I often find myself actually thinking about what choice I should go with, which was something I almost literally never did before those were added.

It's also not really that bad for non-euros, they fixed the worst of that in 1.17. The only major pain for them is the unbalanced tech thing, which the devs were actively trying to make difficult.

And I'm of the mind re: states that the coring cost should be cost enough. For everyone talking about how corruption nerf expansion, I've found states do that way more. Obviously it's better than the old system, but I find myself not wanting to actually stateify my provinces a huge amount of the time now if I'm playing expansionist. Maybe that was intentional.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

And I'm of the mind re: states that the coring cost should be cost enough. For everyone talking about how corruption nerf expansion, I've found states do that way more. Obviously it's better than the old system, but I find myself not wanting to actually stateify my provinces a huge amount of the time now if I'm playing expansionist. Maybe that was intentional.

Think of it this way: if those provinces are so lovely that they're not even able to offset the cost of maintenance, then the states mechanic is really just saving you admin points by preventing you from having to full-core some really bad provinces.

Having everything be treated as a distant overseas province by default is way more beneficial to an expansionist game than the old system, where you had to full-core practically everything unless you did some really gimmicky bullshit like vassal blocking

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Think of it this way: if those provinces are so lovely that they're not even able to offset the cost of maintenance, then the states mechanic is really just saving you admin points by preventing you from having to full-core some really bad provinces.

Having everything be treated as a distant overseas province by default is way more beneficial to an expansionist game than the old system, where you had to full-core practically everything unless you did some really gimmicky bullshit like vassal blocking

It's a pretty elegant way to satisfy people who have felt offput by the overall trend toward suppressing expansion that came about with higher coring costs in Common Sense, etc. since you can paint the map more like pre-CS but don't get the full benefit, and it balances continents and starting positions better against one another. Europe and Asia aren't intrinsically superior continents as they were with the distant overseas system, which had been terrible in general since its introduction in EU3 and only got worse when exploiting it became the pro strat in post-CS EU4.

So yeah, states were badly needed.

Koramei posted:

Conquered territories have decades of separatism anyway, so it makes perfect sense to avoid making them states for a while since they're hardly going to be productive. The full coring cost has ramped up a lot since launch so a way to only pay it when you can afford it but still take the provinces as opportunity dictates is pretty good!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pellisworth posted:

On the other hand, the States / Territories system has some positive benefits:

-It replaced the old overseas territories system which was really gamey, now you can have whatever you want as full cores or overseas without vassal and continent boundary hijinks
-Allows you to pay half cost now, half cost later for conquered land. More flexibility.
-Allows tight control of accepted cultures, since only full States count

Yeah it's an additional money cost but you're at least getting something for it (I like the system myself).

Corruption has no positives, it's a lovely annoying mechanic that adds an expansion / non-Euro tax at the cost of additional micromanagement and UI space.

I agree with the first two points but the last is a little pointless since they're adding a new accepted culture system anyway

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How the hell does the AI manage to start all these colonies *and* maintain large land armies? I'm doing Portugal with the Quantity and Colonial ideas maxed. I can only have 20k troops total before I go into the red, and only two colonists that I'll go into debt supporting. Am I missing something?

That's what always baffles me when I try to play EU4 and CK2. The AI can field these huge stacks and if my country can even produce that many hell if I can even begin to afford it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

skooma512 posted:

How the hell does the AI manage to start all these colonies *and* maintain large land armies? I'm doing Portugal with the Quantity and Colonial ideas maxed. I can only have 20k troops total before I go into the red, and only two colonists that I'll go into debt supporting. Am I missing something?

That's what always baffles me when I try to play EU4 and CK2. The AI can field these huge stacks and if my country can even produce that many hell if I can even begin to afford it.

Are you keeping your army maintenance at full when you aren't at war?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skooma512 posted:

It's okay to run a deficit, you just can't have so many loans that you go bankrupt. Keep your army maintenance low and mothball heavy ships when you're not at war. When you're at war, you should keep your army moving to provinces with some loot gauge remaining so that you maximize how much gold you're looting, which should offset the cost of running at full maintenance. Take gold and war reparations from your victims to help with expenses.

The AI tends to be fielding stacks that it can afford, what you might be seeing mid-war is a stack made up of various allied nations; going up against France you might see a stack that just shows a French banner, but if you hover your mouse over it you'll find that it's actually a ton of countries contributing armies to that stack.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Exploit trade more. Mothball forts. Levy war taxes.

It's often a fine line, but I honestly find that the most fun part of the game. Constantly on the verge of running a deficit, juggling your meagre resources.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thanks guys! Managing the army maintenance was a big help. I got an event that gifted me 412 gold and I ended up with over 2000 by 1600.

I think I'm going to take what I know now and restart my Portugal game. It'll be much better when I can constantly be using my colonists. Maybe even get rid of Castille :getin:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If my colonial nation is getting their poo poo pushed in by another colonial nation - and that CN is French Arumbia - is there any middle option available between me just throwing money at them (completely ineffective) and gearing up to Enforce Peace and face the BBB itself?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

If my colonial nation is getting their poo poo pushed in by another colonial nation - and that CN is French Arumbia - is there any middle option available between me just throwing money at them (completely ineffective) and gearing up to Enforce Peace and face the BBB itself?

Is it possible to offer condottieri to colonial nations?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is it possible to offer condottieri to colonial nations?

Nope:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Condottieri

quote:

Condottieri can't be offered to or by rivals or subject nations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Okay, what gives with military access now? I've had several wars just sort of stall as I can't secure passage through counties to get at my enemy (because the intervening country had low relations or was a rival), forcing me to have to build transport ships or take huge round-about paths that require 4-5 othe rcountries to give me passage and give me diplomatic point penalties.

But the computer seems to give itself free access very often. Just now, France was at war with Portugal, with me playing Castile. France and i were mutual rivals, and I was interested in protecting Portugal so they'd help me against Morocco. Then three french doomstacks just stroll right through my territory to get at Portugal and conquer everything in a few months.

Same thing happened when I was playing Russia and rival Ottoman armies just treated my lands as a highway to get at Scandinavia all the time.

Also: Is there a way to know if you have a spare heir? It's odd that this game doesn't let you check your family line. Sometimes a heir dies and another one you didn't even know you had just pops up instantly, sometimes it turns out he was an only child and a regency is imminent.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Sephyr posted:

Okay, what gives with military access now? I've had several wars just sort of stall as I can't secure passage through counties to get at my enemy (because the intervening country had low relations or was a rival), forcing me to have to build transport ships or take huge round-about paths that require 4-5 othe rcountries to give me passage and give me diplomatic point penalties.

But the computer seems to give itself free access very often. Just now, France was at war with Portugal, with me playing Castile. France and i were mutual rivals, and I was interested in protecting Portugal so they'd help me against Morocco. Then three french doomstacks just stroll right through my territory to get at Portugal and conquer everything in a few months.

Same thing happened when I was playing Russia and rival Ottoman armies just treated my lands as a highway to get at Scandinavia all the time.

Also: Is there a way to know if you have a spare heir? It's odd that this game doesn't let you check your family line. Sometimes a heir dies and another one you didn't even know you had just pops up instantly, sometimes it turns out he was an only child and a regency is imminent.

Did you give Portugal access? If you give one belligerent access, the other gets it as well, I believe.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Koramei posted:

I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

:golfclap:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
+1, That portrait pack is so good. Well done koramei

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sephyr posted:

If you gave access to anyone in the war then everyone in the war can wander through. Though maybe it just is the main belligerents. Just check France and Portugal's diplomacy tab and look for who has access where.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 19, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Is there a reason for that? Seems pretty dumb to me...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I know usually people say that 100 Admin for +1 stability generally isn't worth it... but what if it's only 50 Admin? In my current England game I've managed to stack so many -stability cost modifiers that it's 50 Admin for +1, then another 100 Admin for +2. I definitely consider 50 Admin a good value for +1 Stab

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Unimpressed posted:

Is there a reason for that? Seems pretty dumb to me...
The AI always had trouble playing military access manager. The access meta game was just sort of dull in the grand scheme, which warranted hacking it away to a neutral case where all belligerents get the same playground instead of keep trying to fix the AI's ability to handle it and keep trying to prevent some exploity edge cases from the player.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Military access can still work pretty well IMO, just have to be mindful of who has access where.

You can always cancel access if it's causing you trouble.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Playing as Malacca/Malaya, I happened to glance over at Central Asia and noticed this:

How?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

QuarkJets posted:

So I know usually people say that 100 Admin for +1 stability generally isn't worth it...

...who says that? i sit at +1 stab most of the time, myself.

reasoning: you're going to have to pay for stab sooner or later, and it's usually gonna be around 100 admin. generally it's better to choose when to spend it, get nice -revolt risk/+income/+missionary bonuses by default, and not have to worry about either getting negative stab bonuses or paying extra for stab if you get a -stab effect while temporarily overextended.

honestly really curious where you heard the 'don't spend admin for stab' thing. maybe someone saying 'don't go beyond +1 stab in most cases'?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Typical Pubbie posted:

Playing as Malacca/Malaya, I happened to glance over at Central Asia and noticed this:

How?

prediction: ottomans got in a bad war with venice's trade league and got straight up dismantled

trade leagues will mess you up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also if you sit at +1 stability, any +stab event is then worth 150 admin.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Koramei posted:

I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

Best mod ever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Also if you sit at +1 stability, any +stab event is then worth 150 admin.

That's always been my feeling as well. I enjoy the benefits of +1 stab and I view the 100 admin cost as well-worth it, and with all of my -stab cost modifiers right now I can pay 100 admin to be at +2 stab (which I've totally done).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

QuarkJets posted:

So I know usually people say that 100 Admin for +1 stability generally isn't worth it... but what if it's only 50 Admin? In my current England game I've managed to stack so many -stability cost modifiers that it's 50 Admin for +1, then another 100 Admin for +2. I definitely consider 50 Admin a good value for +1 Stab

Going up to +1 is usually worth it Anything more is generally considered wasteful.Going to +3 via admin points is pretty much always a poor choice, as it locks you out of an indirect source of admin points.

• Locked thread