Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

God drat this stream makes me even more pumped to learn Mika. She's a lot of fun to play and I'm seeing some good stuff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Fuudo's Mika is my new favorite thing.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
just hit gold

time to still get paired up against rookies somehow

Corevena
Oct 7, 2015

FallenGod posted:

Do any of your other games work? Because this:
is the default "wow I don't care that video games don't work in the dorms" response you'll always get from a school.

Yeah everything else works on pc, ps4 and xbox just sfv wont connect to their servers even in the beta was the same, Ive tried with betanet vpn to run my internet through my pc to ps4 while running the vpn to bypass the firewall but the ps4 cant get through. Any suggestions?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andarel posted:

Still on?

sorry about the wake up dp i wanna stop doing that

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
why are you saying sorry if it's working

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh my god this is literally the worst SF session I've ever had.

gently caress JOY2KEY IS RANDOMLY CRAPPING OUT ON ME

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Every match I've had has been a slideshow tonight I'm going back to xcom 2

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Hitting f.HP as fast as I can.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dias posted:

Oh my god this is literally the worst SF session I've ever had.

gently caress JOY2KEY IS RANDOMLY CRAPPING OUT ON ME

Xpadder has been solid for me. At least I think. Actually I can't tell because I'm bad.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Stomping someone to death with Bisons V Trigger EX Head stomp when they are trying to be a little projectile throwing byatch feels so good it should be illegal.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I have yet to meet a Cammy that didn't fling herself across the map at the start of every match.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
The ranks must be sorting themselves out. Gone from 1800LP down to 1200, no longer getting 0LP matches and up against 10k or better ranked players.

So much agony, so much confusion. These people know the buttons I need to press before I press them. It's like playing against a clairvoyance.

And that tells me I'm playing predictably. Somehow, I have learned myself into their flowcharts. I hate it, as I can't see a way to get out of it. I guess this is what the grind is all about.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Also I have dibs on making next thread

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Agoat posted:

I have yet to meet a Cammy that didn't fling herself across the map at the start of every match.

I get a minimum of 3 spiral arrow punishes from every Cammy I have played so far. Then they spend some time being confused, during which you can use whatever cool thing you have messing with in training mode.

I'm legitimately scared about getting to good Cammys since they look really strong when played properly.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I am going to buy this for pc game tomorrow, will the stick i made from a wired 360 controller work?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gg andarel. feel like i know vega a lot better now after that beatdown.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Captain Redbeard posted:

I am going to buy this for pc game tomorrow, will the stick i made from a wired 360 controller work?

yes. any 360 controller will work perfectly, ps3/4 needs x360ce or something similar to work.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Xpadder has been solid for me. At least I think. Actually I can't tell because I'm bad.

I dunno, joy2key was working fine and then tonight I couldn't block poo poo. I mean, alcohol is an issue, but a full second of dropped inputs two games in a row probably means an actual problem with the program.

Also I found a confirmed BR rage quitter on ranked tonight and I made sure to drop the game and alt-F4 the fucker. Petty, but gently caress him.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

RossCo posted:

I get a minimum of 3 spiral arrow punishes from every Cammy I have played so far. Then they spend some time being confused, during which you can use whatever cool thing you have messing with in training mode.

I'm legitimately scared about getting to good Cammys since they look really strong when played properly.

"They spend some time being confused" is a hilarious understatement. I usually get a free knockdown then they just backdash themselves to the corner. Then I do a lot of overheads.

It's great because Ken's forward HK works as a weird anti-air and it spikes them to the ground. If this game had voice chat I bet it'd be even better.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I'm having a really annoying time with this, so sorry if I'm gleaning over something.

My fightstick won't work with the PS4. It's a Hori RAPV. It works fine on the PC. Actually, my PC even detects it and recognizes what it is. I power-cycled my PS4, unplugged all USB devices, plugged in the stick, and it still won't work.

I have used this fightstick with my PS4 in the past, so I don't know why it's not working now. It's been gathering dust for a few months, but I confirmed it works in Skullgirls on my PC just a minute ago.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Try another wired device and make sure it's not bad ports on your PS4.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I use the USB ports to charge my controllers and with my wireless headset, so they definitely work.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

a harpy posted:

I'm having a really annoying time with this, so sorry if I'm gleaning over something.

My fightstick won't work with the PS4. It's a Hori RAPV. It works fine on the PC. Actually, my PC even detects it and recognizes what it is. I power-cycled my PS4, unplugged all USB devices, plugged in the stick, and it still won't work.

I have used this fightstick with my PS4 in the past, so I don't know why it's not working now. It's been gathering dust for a few months, but I confirmed it works in Skullgirls on my PC just a minute ago.

It is set on ps4 mode right? You may have accidently flicked on to ps3.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

@Hurthling:

Thanks for the games! I'm off to bed.

A couple of things:

You were letting me walk you into the corner constantly. When I had claw normals and was using st.MP and f.HP to poke, you were constantly holding back, which meant you were moving further and further towards the corner if I just walked forward. Unfortunately it's a pain to get in against better normals range-wise, but A) you were doing fine hitting me out of them once you got a feel for the timing and got some DPs on them and B) holding back maintains range, which means if you're at a bad range and we both move one way the same amount you stay at that range. It pays to be more aggressive and try and force your way inside my range, to where your sweep and cr.MK can hit or you can punish my f.HP on block (it's -14 iirc, but the problem is a range one). Once you're cornered you needed to jump or tatsu out, which I could figure out and deal with. Honestly, most of the reason you were losing is because you were letting me play footsies at my preferred (claw) ranges as opposed to getting either a bit closer and threatening with your faster normals or staying further out and threatening with fireballs.

One think I'd work on immediately is finding a simple but reliable (even just normal > shoryu) punish for when you block a sweep. Vega's sweep is really bad on block since it's -12 and it pushes him way into your model, so easy punish - I got away with a lot of blocked sweeps that went unpunished. A simple jab punish'd also be useful, especially against stuff like LP flip heel which you can jab.

A little wakeup-DP happy, but you got better about that as the games went on. It's not bad to threaten them (but don't wakeup punch > DP, that gets you hit out of the punch) but they can be pretty risky with no FADC.

If you see me dash in, try throwing immediately to tech my throw. You can't really throw tech on reaction in this game, the tech window's not big enough, but I was able to dash in between whiffed st.MP and throw you several times, and got a lot of free damage off of throws in general.

You were having some trouble figuring out what moves were good in footsies - notably, a lot of halfscreen overheads that got whiff-punished. If you take a hit and you're back to neutral, it's okay to either block or hold forward and immediately swing to back if you see me go into anything other than a neutral stance. I got a few chains of like f.HP > f.HP > st.MP just from hitting the startup of stuff - if you're at a disadvantage, be careful about pushing buttons and consider either walking forward or blocking and seeing if there's something you can punish.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 21, 2016

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

It is set on ps4 mode right? You may have accidently flicked on to ps3.

It was in PS4 mode, but you gave me an idea that got it to work. I turned it on in PS3 mode and then, once I was in-game, changed it over to PS4 and after a second, it recognized it and now it's working fine!

Thanks for the help. Having a frustrating night and really just wanted to play some Street Fighter. Now I can!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andarel posted:

@Hurthling:

Thanks for the games! I'm off to bed.

A couple of things:

You were letting me walk you into the corner constantly. When I had claw normals and was using st.MP and f.HP to poke, you were constantly holding back, which meant you were moving further and further towards the corner if I just walked forward. Unfortunately it's a pain to get in against better normals range-wise, but A) you were doing fine hitting me out of them once you got a feel for the timing and got some DPs on them and B) holding back maintains range, which means if you're at a bad range and we both move one way the same amount you stay at that range. It pays to be more aggressive and try and force your way inside my range, to where your sweep and cr.MK can hit or you can punish my f.HP on block (it's -14 iirc, but the problem is a range one). Once you're cornered you needed to jump or tatsu out, which I could figure out and deal with. Honestly, most of the reason you were losing is because you were letting me play footsies at my preferred (claw) ranges as opposed to getting either a bit closer and threatening with your faster normals or staying further out and threatening with fireballs.

One think I'd work on immediately is finding a simple but reliable (even just normal > shoryu) punish for when you block a sweep. Vega's sweep is really bad on block since it's -12 and it pushes him way into your model, so easy punish - I got away with a lot of blocked sweeps that went unpunished. A simple jab punish'd also be useful, especially against stuff like LP flip heel which you can jab.

A little wakeup-DP happy, but you got better about that as the games went on. It's not bad to threaten them (but don't wakeup punch > DP, that gets you hit out of the punch) but they can be pretty risky with no FADC.

If you see me dash in, try throwing immediately to tech my throw. You can't really throw tech on reaction in this game, the tech window's not big enough, but I was able to dash in between whiffed st.MP and throw you several times, and got a lot of free damage off of throws in general.

You were having some trouble figuring out what moves were good in footsies - notably, a lot of halfscreen overheads that got whiff-punished. If you take a hit and you're back to neutral, it's okay to either block or hold forward and immediately swing to back if you see me go into anything other than a neutral stance. I got a few chains of like f.HP > f.HP > st.MP just from hitting the startup of stuff - if you're at a disadvantage, be careful about pushing buttons and consider either walking forward or blocking and seeing if there's something you can punish.

whoa thanks for this. i will make sure your effort post is not in vain. ctrl+c > ctrl+v

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My main is Zangief but I switched to Rashid for a while and it turns out Zangief is incredibly frustrating to fight, which is I guess why I like playing him.

A couple of bad guesses and the match is over in his favor. But playing as him also doing Air SPD on reaction to jump ins is the coolest thing

Rashid is really fun but it feels like some of his stuff that works offline is a bit iffy online, I've missed links I had been practicing a lot. Maybe I just panic online.

Cr. HP, MP > Spinny tornado thingy, HK Fireball canceled into a v skill, repeat

cams
Mar 28, 2003

anyone want to play games for a reasonably long time right now? at 1:23 am pst? i am very good, so, that that into consideration.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

cams posted:

anyone want to play games for a reasonably long time right now? at 1:23 am pst? i am very good, so, that that into consideration.

just saw you lose to arturo, gg

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Booyah- posted:

just saw you lose to arturo, gg
lol, was about to go pull that replay and post it. i am unfamiliar with that matchup, to say the least.

edit: my upload is poo poo i'll upload my humiliation later.

cams fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 21, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My main is Zangief but I switched to Rashid for a while and it turns out Zangief is incredibly frustrating to fight, which is I guess why I like playing him.

A couple of bad guesses and the match is over in his favor. But playing as him also doing Air SPD on reaction to jump ins is the coolest thing

Rashid is really fun but it feels like some of his stuff that works offline is a bit iffy online, I've missed links I had been practicing a lot. Maybe I just panic online.

Cr. HP, MP > Spinny tornado thingy, HK Fireball canceled into a v skill, repeat

idk how much other fighters you play, but it's a pretty okay idea to neutral a grappler to death instead risking getting pressure turned around by right in their face.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ryu, vega, chun, and nash are bad matchups for laura, but birdie is a loving nightmare. i can (and do) lose to VERY BAD birdies. if i could have the option of just deciding each match i get against birdie in ranked with a coin flip, i'd take it. if this game tracked stats better (my biggest complaint), birdie is probably my worst winrate.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

cams posted:

ryu, vega, chun, and nash are bad matchups for laura, but birdie is a loving nightmare. i can (and do) lose to VERY BAD birdies. if i could have the option of just deciding each match i get against birdie in ranked with a coin flip, i'd take it. if this game tracked stats better (my biggest complaint), birdie is probably my worst winrate.

Birdie is love.

Laura is somewhat of a mystery to me, but biggest thing I could say in that match is don't you dare throw a random lightning projectile in neutral, its the easiest thing in the world to ex chain it on reaction.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just saw Valle get matched with that tool assisted Karin twice in a row. That was a fun thing to watch. :shobon:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pomp posted:

idk how much other fighters you play, but it's a pretty okay idea to neutral a grappler to death instead risking getting pressure turned around by right in their face.

I play a lot of other fighters but I play grapplers a whole lot :cool: So i'm pretty aware of say what you should do against Potemkin in GG because I know what I would try to do, and I played a lot of SF4 Zangief so I know what he does. Some of the stuff coming out of Zangief in SF5 is actually taking me by surprise. Turns out his air game is much stronger than I realized but at least I learned a lot from those matches

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
gently caress necalli

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Birdie is love.

Laura is somewhat of a mystery to me, but biggest thing I could say in that match is don't you dare throw a random lightning projectile in neutral, its the easiest thing in the world to ex chain it on reaction.
really, i think i just have a problem with the big grapplers for some reason. i've heard other laura players say they think laura/gief is HUGELY in laura's favor, but i haven't seen it that way. gief is another character who has zero reason to be afraid of laura. she has nothing for his buttons.

here's me losing to arturo sanchez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmILtKy1Kho

here's me losing in hilarious fashion to a really bad birdie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOXjB17owHA

cams fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 21, 2016

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
got close to 5k and then went on a losing streak so i was feeling kind of down

but the rankings just updated and i am 18th worldwide! so now i feel better

when do i get to say that sf4 is a better game and not be beaten in the streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The Timely Howard posted: