Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Edit: Also my last job was really strict about tattoos for some reason, which was weird because it wasn't a customer facing job. The clients didn't care how the sausage gets made so I have no idea why my employer was so wretched about tattoos.

It’s not like the stigma is completely stamped out so you’re still going to find some employers who have zero tolerance for it.

Much like everything that’s lovely in the world, it’s usually some old guy pushing back because in his day tattoos were only for sailors and scumbags and this isn’t a boat goddamnit :okboomer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
My dad still refuses to hire people with visible tattoos for his clinic. According to him it's because all his patients are old and would pitch a fit, but it's actually because he hates them.

He's not thrilled that I have a few.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm so glad I never got any tattoos. My life has been regrettable enough as is.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Samfucius posted:

My dad still refuses to hire people with visible tattoos for his clinic. According to him it's because all his patients are old and would pitch a fit, but it's actually because he hates them.

He's not thrilled that I have a few.

Well probably because of the face tattoo you have that says "I hate my dad" :v:

His stated reason at least makes sense, even if it is dumb.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I don't think I've hired anyone who doesn't have a tattoo. Mostly because they're so common now that I don't think anyone without a visible tattoo has applied.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Kwyndig posted:

I have no idea why my employer was so wretched about tattoos.

Because they feel empowered/can do it. There’s a fair bit of America that really loves their high horse. Plus otherwise you might shatter their tightly held version of How The World (ought to) Work.

Bismuth posted:

What the hell is going on up here

These Colors Don’t Run
(no seriously they were like that when I got them)

LifeSunDeath posted:

Time to double down!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Ooooh, get a tattoo of a KFC Double Down to really double down.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

The Subway series dude ought to see about just billboarding himself for free food at this point. And somehow I know I’ve seen a KFC double down tattoo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Of course you have

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

History Comes Inside! posted:

Of course you have

:hmmyes:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Large Testicles posted:

it reminds me of this from like 20 years ago
:nws::nws::nws::nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0V49WWlWU

Holy poo poo Lodger it has been like 20 years hahaha

:smithfrog:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kwyndig posted:

Thanks for the info! As you can tell I hadn't thought about it that hard but now I know there are people with face tattoos with real jobs now. Man do I feel stupid!

Edit: Also my last job was really strict about tattoos for some reason, which was weird because it wasn't a customer facing job. The clients didn't care how the sausage gets made so I have no idea why my employer was so wretched about tattoos.

My manager was recently touring literal US Senators around the factory in a company polo with his full-color sleeve tattoo clearly visible, no one sensible gives a gently caress any more, unless you have like Nazi tattoos on your face.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s probably weirder to not have tattoos now tbh

We are all gonna feel dumb as poo poo when the cool rebellious society move is to have a totally blank canvas

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

We are all gonna feel dumb as poo poo when the cool rebellious society move is to have a totally blank canvas

Not sure it's ever going to work backwards, though. what's that pitchshifter song from like fuckin 1998 thats like "tattoos and piercings? That's for mom and dad! What you need is devil horn implants, designer tails, a third leg!"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That brought a million memories of the early 00s flooding back because I’m loving old as poo poo

https://youtu.be/d6hseLE2HY4

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That brought a million memories of the early 00s flooding back because I’m loving old as poo poo

https://youtu.be/d6hseLE2HY4

that's the one! god drat pitchshifter were the coolest poo poo in the world when I was 15. I saw them live just after the Iraq war kicked off in earnest and everyone was losing their poo poo, lol. Still maintain that Infotainment is an absolute banger album

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

some plague rats posted:

Not sure it's ever going to work backwards, though. what's that pitchshifter song from like fuckin 1998 thats like "tattoos and piercings? That's for mom and dad! What you need is devil horn implants, designer tails, a third leg!"

As Seen on TV, from Deviant. A great album when I was in highschool that I am terrified to revisit.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

As Seen on TV, from Deviant. A great album when I was in highschool that I am terrified to revisit.

A while back I decided to go back and listen to a bunch of the albums that I thought were the absolute poo poo in my teens/early 20s, and I learned that while I definitely rated some absolute dogshit, I was either ahead of my time or have just not advanced musically because a lot more than I was expecting held up!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Hell, even my 67 year old mother got a tattoo this year.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Of course you have

I love this, it looks like a Col Sanders turtle with a chicken shell lol

Also Lodger rules, their album Low Blue Flame was especially good

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

some plague rats posted:

Every so often I think about the wacky, peripheral poo poo in Transmetropolitan, like when the main character hits on a lady and she responds that she's "gay, married, clinically dead, and pregnant with lizards."

And the high tech gizmo that delivers the news super fast, but also give you brain damage. 🐦

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

I’m always one step ahead

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

LifeSunDeath posted:

Honestly they aren't for everyone, it'll serve you better to realise you're happier without them than to force it. Hopefully that doesn't read as facetious, I unfortunately have to speak to people on the phone who really shouldn't be tattooed but who really really want them.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Honestly I figured you just reach the regret tipping point and just say “what the hell(?)” and go for it.

And what qualifies those who shouldn’t get them? I’m curious now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Only thing I can think of is Orthodox Jews, they're prohibited from getting tattoos for religious reasons.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I don't think I ought to get one just because it's not something I could commit to. I think of ideas now and then and go "ehhh, that's money and some time away from my hobbies". They look better on my wife anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'll probably get some sort of memorial tattoo of my cat when she goes, that's about the only thing I can think of that I wouldn't regret years later. It would be backwards so she would look correct in the mirror.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Literally the only good reason to get a tattoo is because you want one. Trying to find any other justification for it is stupid

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

some plague rats posted:

Literally the only good reason to get a tattoo is because you want one. Trying to find any other justification for it is stupid

What about losing a bet?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

What about losing a bet?

That's stupid, but in a good way. Acceptable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As long as you get to pick the design that's cool.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Getting super drunk?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scratch Monkey posted:

Getting super drunk?

Yeah some tattoo shops I know of won't tattoo the drunk, both for safety reasons (drunk people bleed like crazy) and because of people being upset over the tattoo they got while blacked out.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

some plague rats posted:

Most of my tattoos are "lol remember this one-off Simpsons joke?" and one is a band-inspired tattoo. Another is some cool art that the artist turned into linework. I was gonna use the other limb for blackwork but the artist moved interstate :( . Ya don't need some deep meaning if you enjoy it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I am covered in tiny corncob sailors

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah some tattoo shops I know of won't tattoo the drunk, both for safety reasons (drunk people bleed like crazy) and because of people being upset over the tattoo they got while blacked out.

No tattoo shop should be tattooing anyone who’s been drinking at all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh I definitely agree with that because getting a tattoo should involve Informed Consent. You should know what you're getting at every step.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agreed. A shop I used to go to was always yelling at drunk idiots stumbling in from the bar across the street.

They considered getting their own bouncer but I guess the city wouldn't let them.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Some 10-odd years ago I was in a bar in Estonia that had a tattoo shop inside. I almost made a bad decision that day, browsing their catalogue while half a dozen pints deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

No idea if it’s true or not but years ago a friend of a friend who did tattoos told a story of a guy coming in to the shop to get a cover up of a tattoo he got while drunk that said I ♥ ERIC CLAMPTON