Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Songbearer posted:

By default the stardome effect is completely out of whack in VR, making the stars appear too close to you and filling you with eldritch fear of the world beyond yours. This should make it so they're far, far away, as it should be.
I mean it's a weird bug but the way you describe it makes it sound like a sweet feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone had an issue where the Rift gives you an error that says No HDMI Connection? I feel like half of the time I have had great experiences that have made me really excited and the other half of the time has been bullshit technical problems. This one takes the cake though because the headset is unusable. The HDMI port works since I can plug my tv into it just fine. It was working last night as I was trying to diagnose the touch controller stuttering and I just booted up to continue trying to fix that problem when the headset didn’t go on when I put it on and saw the error under Devices. Is this a common problem? I am seeing people online saying that it has to do with where the cable joins the headset but I am not about to open it up since I can return it and just get my money back.

I have spent enough on games that I would like to make this work but if I can just anticipate more bullshit always popping up then I don’t know if it is worth the aggravation. I actually have a second Rift, unopened, that I was going to return to Amazon since I got this one from Best Buy one day before the Amazon one arrived. I could open that one up and use it, return the broken Best Buy one and hope that they wouldn’t give me poo poo about it but it would be easier to try to figure out what happened with the headset just sitting on a table overnight and suddenly not working at all and take the safe return of the unopened one. Or if this is just business as usual then I could return both and save myself continuous headaches but I would love to continue with VR since it has been fun when it has worked.

Edit: after trying the tv again that is now not being detected. I’ve had this 1080 for a week and feel like I’m having some really bad luck trying to get everything working well - I’ve never had an HDMI port just die randomly overnight but it seems like that is what happened I guess and I can’t blame the headset yet.

rio fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 19, 2017

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
After I install Nexus Mod Manager, how do I make it recognize my Fallout 4 VR? I tried directing it's path there manually but it indicates that it cannot find the .EXE and seems to be looking for vanilla FO4.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Less Fat Luke posted:

I mean it's a weird bug but the way you describe it makes it sound like a sweet feature.

Some part of me actually kind of recommends that people see it for themselves by keeping that line out of the ini for a bit and turning TAA off using the console, which makes it incredibly obvious. When I first saw it I wasn't prepared for it and it creeped me the gently caress out in a way that I haven't really felt before, it was like my brain couldn't quite reconcile the fact that these were stars yet they were far too close to be comfortable. Kinda Truman Show-y.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

rio posted:

Has anyone had an issue where the Rift gives you an error that says No HDMI Connection? I feel like half of the time I have had great experiences that have made me really excited and the other half of the time has been bullshit technical problems. This one takes the cake though because the headset is unusable. The HDMI port works since I can plug my tv into it just fine. It was working last night as I was trying to diagnose the touch controller stuttering and I just booted up to continue trying to fix that problem when the headset didn’t go on when I put it on and saw the error under Devices. Is this a common problem? I am seeing people online saying that it has to do with where the cable joins the headset but I am not about to open it up since I can return it and just get my money back.

I have spent enough on games that I would like to make this work but if I can just anticipate more bullshit always popping up then I don’t know if it is worth the aggravation. I actually have a second Rift, unopened, that I was going to return to Amazon since I got this one from Best Buy one day before the Amazon one arrived. I could open that one up and use it, return the broken Best Buy one and hope that they wouldn’t give me poo poo about it but it would be easier to try to figure out what happened with the headset just sitting on a table overnight and suddenly not working at all and take the safe return of the unopened one. Or if this is just business as usual then I could return both and save myself continuous headaches but I would love to continue with VR since it has been fun when it has worked.

Edit: after trying the tv again that is now not being detected. I’ve had this 1080 for a week and feel like I’m having some really bad luck trying to get everything working well - I’ve never had an HDMI port just die randomly overnight but it seems like that is what happened I guess and I can’t blame the headset yet.

This happens with my Rift and it is always that the connection into the HMD is loose. Check that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

This happens with my Rift and it is always that the connection into the HMD is loose. Check that.

Thanks - I tried that first with no luck but after restarting the computer with the tv plugged into the hdmi port, it worked and then I plugged in the rift and it worked too.

I am still stumped about the touch jittering though. I have tried removing all other usb devices, unplugging one sensor at a time to see if it would reduce the load on my USB ports and/or show that one of the sensors was faulty, tried playing with no super sampling, tried with ASW both on and off. I am really frustrated - it is not a thing that affects every game I play but seeing stuttering hands is really annoying and messes with my aim on games that need precision.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

KOMI posted:

After I install Nexus Mod Manager, how do I make it recognize my Fallout 4 VR? I tried directing it's path there manually but it indicates that it cannot find the .EXE and seems to be looking for vanilla FO4.

I saw on reddit somewhere that someone got NMM working by making a copy of his Fallout4VR.exe in the same folder and renaming it to fallout4.exe (or whatever vanilla Fo4 is supposed to be) and connecting the renamed copy to NMM. According to the post you just have to manually update the exe whenever a new version is released.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

rio posted:

Thanks - I tried that first with no luck but after restarting the computer with the tv plugged into the hdmi port, it worked and then I plugged in the rift and it worked too.

I am still stumped about the touch jittering though. I have tried removing all other usb devices, unplugging one sensor at a time to see if it would reduce the load on my USB ports and/or show that one of the sensors was faulty, tried playing with no super sampling, tried with ASW both on and off. I am really frustrated - it is not a thing that affects every game I play but seeing stuttering hands is really annoying and messes with my aim on games that need precision.

This has happened to me in the past (specifically in Steam VR games, New Retro Arcade: Neon being the biggest culprit) and I fixed it by closing and re-opening Steam VR. Not sure if this is similar to your thing though.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Vrchat is the craziest poo poo show yet in vr. I was in a bathroom full of aliens calling themselves the gucci gang when darth vader asked why they were in the women’s room to which the alien replied indignantly “how dare you presume my gender”.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

particle9 posted:

Vrchat is the craziest poo poo show yet in vr. I was in a bathroom full of aliens calling themselves the gucci gang when darth vader asked why they were in the women’s room to which the alien replied indignantly “how dare you presume my gender”.

VRchat is some wild poo poo and if I didn't constantly have bone issues I'd be there every day.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oof, FO4VR and my TPCast have me spending longer than normal amounts of time in VR spinning around like crazy. Anyone have much luck with common travel sickness medication curbing VR sickness? I wanna play more but I gotta keep taking breaks to eat ginger chews.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Speaking of the TP cast how much clearance/head room do you need for it to work? I recently moved and my VR space has way lower ceilings than my old place.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

8one6 posted:

Speaking of the TP cast how much clearance/head room do you need for it to work? I recently moved and my VR space has way lower ceilings than my old place.

Mine is at around 180cm in the corner well below a lighthouse and works fine.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fallout 4 VR and LA Noire VR are good examples of VR ports with polar opposite priorities from one another.

Fallout 4 VR was all about porting the base game to VR directly, no compromise. Well, plenty of compromise actually, but every cut and change was made so none of the games scripting or core art assets needed to be modified. Making every button and lever a physical interaction would've been impossible given the money and time restraints, so it's as if they didn't really bother doing any of that stuff. Just the absolute bare minimum everything.

LA Noire VR obviously had a limited budget too and the game's content is much smaller as a result, but all the systems they ported they got pretty darn right. Hand to hand combat is as good as I've seen in any other made for VR title, shooting is much like Pavlov, object interactions aren't far off from games like Call of the Starseed or Job Simulator. The locomotion is a little weird, but I quickly got used to it and driving works really well too. No superfluous floating HUD elements, even the car's GPS is old timey in design. It's solid stuff.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

8one6 posted:

I used to get away with having the base station on the TV cabinet, so height isn't required but it helps.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Can someone link the wallmounts they bought for an Oculus setup again? Looking for something that I could use 3M command strips to mount semi perm.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

rio posted:

Has anyone had an issue where the Rift gives you an error that says No HDMI Connection?

I have this issue too. I think it has something to do with Oculus and Windows interacting strangely when waking from sleep. If I remember to close the Oculus client before I put my computer to sleep, it’ll always be fine when I come back. If Oculus is running when I wake the computer, it’s a 50/50, and only a reboot will solve the issue.

No way for me to test it more specifically, but that’s my experience.

Also, re:jitter. I don’t remember if I already told you this but I had some nasty tracking issues that ended up being a very strange RAM incompatibility. I ran my RAM at stock speed - that is, not over clocking it - and everything turned fine.

w00tazn posted:

Can someone link the wallmounts they bought for an Oculus setup again? Looking for something that I could use 3M command strips to mount semi perm.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R96X9DS

It’s not particularly pretty but it works. Any standard camera mount will be compatible, the size isn’t atypical.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Boxman posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R96X9DS

It’s not particularly pretty but it works. Any standard camera mount will be compatible, the size isn’t atypical.

I used these particular ones and they work good. The ball joint in them probably makes them more flexible in terms on mounting options than the 3d printed ones specifically for Oculus sensors.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

w00tazn posted:

These are the ones that I have printed and use with 3M command strips.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1772848

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Republicans posted:

Oof, FO4VR and my TPCast have me spending longer than normal amounts of time in VR spinning around like crazy. Anyone have much luck with common travel sickness medication curbing VR sickness? I wanna play more but I gotta keep taking breaks to eat ginger chews.

Yes. Dramamine helps. Buy some.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

What are the symptoms of VR sickness. Just feeling nauseated? I have gotten wobbly noodly legs a few times when there is a lot of rapid vertical movement back and forth, but no weird sensation at all from sliding around on a flat surface. It's pretty easy to get dehydrated and sweaty I think and sometimes that gives me a brief headache.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If you ever got carsick as a kid trying to read (or gameboy etc), VR sickness comes on like that, only hopefully you don’t suddenly projectile vomit over the back seat of the folks car in VR.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It's definitely something i got used too more as i kept playing, i got sick fast and hard in the beginning. Lone Echo was a game that helped my brain wrap itself around the whole thing pretty good. "ooOOOoohhh you are DOING the hosed UP THING again :barf:" "relax u oval office were in space its fine". I had a much easier time with non teleportation movement after that.

One of the first VR games with non teleportation that i tried tho was Subnautica, and i legit ALMOST threw up after that for some reason.

But yeah, it's like when you try to read a book in a moving car.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 19, 2017

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Just a heads up that the new oculus beta and core 2.0 does seem to cause some noticeable performance issues, especially in steam vr. Onward was a complete and total stuttery mess until I reverted back. Now it's working fine.

Beta is beta I guess!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI all 5 Croteam VR titles are 50% off or 75% off as a bundle.

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5145/CROTEAM_VR_Bundle/

If you haven't purchased any it's $50 for 5 of the best titles in VR. I bought Talos at $19.99 weekend and am loving it. Unfortunately for me now the rest of the bundle is $39.99.

This is probably the best deal/same deal we'll see in the wintersale but who knows, it appears we are now seeing a VR software race for the bottom for better or worse.

These titles were strongly suggested when they were $39.99 apiece so 5 for $49.99 is a killer deal.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

w00tazn posted:

I’m using these. Nice thing is you can stick them out from the wall a little bit to get a better angle over a desk or something.

2 pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D49TU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jWvoAb3WM1T7X

1 pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IDCDZY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Each mounted with two medium command strips.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Dongattack posted:

It's definitely something i got used too more as i kept playing,

Maybe playing lots of armswinging locomotion inoculated me against stick smooth movement. I was expecting something weird when Fo4 came out and I wouldn't be able to use arm swinging, but it was just like moving around in flat screen.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

WMain00 posted:

Just a heads up that the new oculus beta and core 2.0 does seem to cause some noticeable performance issues, especially in steam vr. Onward was a complete and total stuttery mess until I reverted back. Now it's working fine.

Beta is beta I guess!

Well you solved my mystery with the stuttering hands. I had upgraded my graphics card and added a sensor about he same time I switched to the beta so I didn’t even think about that possibly causing the issues but I just reverted back and my hands are as smooth as they should be. Is this something that Oculus will get info on automatically from the beta program or should I write them to tell them about he issue? I would hate for the beta to be finalized and the issue not fixed and be stuck with the stuttery hand movements once they kill off the old home permanently. It is a drag not being able to access my desktop easily anymore but I’ll take it to be able to have my hand movements smooth again.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

WMain00 posted:

Beta is beta I guess!

I’d also dig harder. I’ve had the opposite experience. Dash is amazing and onward runs fine here.

Very very weird. Wonder if something else is having issues with the beta specifically

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Apparently Facebook released a version of Spaces for Vive: https://www.facebook.com/spaces

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the FO4 jank level for Vive owners? Love you Rift dudes, but all the posts I see are from you lot and I don’t fall into that use case.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Warbird posted:

What’s the FO4 jank level for Vive owners? Love you Rift dudes, but all the posts I see are from you lot and I don’t fall into that use case.

You can’t see very far before things get blurry, but hey! That’s Ok as sniper scopes don’t work in the game.

Srs that’s a pretty shocking big thing to say oh we’ll patch it in later

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Warbird posted:

It's clearly a port of a 2d game. Vive controllers are not a mouse and keyboard and lack buttons so the controls take a lot of getting used to but they're workable. Blurry at distance. Lots of fun anyway. If you liked fo4 a lot get it. If it was meh 2d wait for a sale. If you didn't like it at all VR probably won't fix it.

Still can't pet dogmeat. He will still trap you in a corner and get you killed too.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

If you can crank up SS, the outdoor environments are just awesome. Having a ton of fun with it, I'm a Rifto tho.

There's still no fix for the right-eye-object-pop-in is there? Just about everything else seems to be working fine.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Anyone got an opinion on Windlands? I just realized that my entire library is pretty much shoot-gun games, and while I do love them, I'd like to try out some other types of experiences in VR. Most importantly, I'd like to try some 'sense of scale' things, especially when it comes to height, and flying around with a grappling hook seems pretty cool in it. Are there any other games that would better serve for a cool movement adventure, or should this be the one?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Windlands is bad and vomit inducing don't buy it. It takes a cool travel idea and somehow makes it tedious by severely restricting what you can grab on to.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you want a scale game, Minecraft is The Scale Game. Vivecraft has all kinds of mobility options now too its sick

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

It's clearly a port of a 2d game. Vive controllers are not a mouse and keyboard and lack buttons so the controls take a lot of getting used to but they're workable. Blurry at distance. Lots of fun anyway. If you liked fo4 a lot get it. If it was meh 2d wait for a sale. If you didn't like it at all VR probably won't fix it.

Still can't pet dogmeat. He will still trap you in a corner and get you killed too.

I always had a companion in 2d and usually used rifles. Now I'm playing lone wanderer with an almost all melee build.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is X:Rebirth a good game for picking up for an hour or so of evening relaxation? So far I only really like doing that with H3VR and Superhot, but want to expand into other, not necessarily casual in game mechanics sense, but in campaign/progression sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 4 is insanely good and the jank isnt even that bad once you get used to it. It's just some awkwardness in the controls that you can easily get used to.

heres a few amazingly cool moments in just one battle. its a constant surprise this game. I love it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShortYummyThymePRChase
https://clips.twitch.tv/InquisitiveBoldHorsePicoMause